Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner for Grand Final night, last night.

Well, we finally made it back home after a bit of time away, and it's good
to be back home and not wet and wrinkly anymore!!

We had some friends call over for a 'short' visit, so we ended up snacking
on the usual suspects of cheese, salami, dips, bikkies, olives, pickled
garlic, sushi ginger, coconut gel, gherkins, etc, etc..... along with a
couple litres of Sangria.

As the visit extended, I got some prawns and garlic aoli out and we knocked
them off as well.

So later on in the night after they finally left, we were quite
full........ until about 9pm.

So I made 'Mock Fish'.
4-6 Potatoes (Peeled & Grated)
1 Chopped Onion
1 Egg (Beaten)
Approx 1 Tbpsn Plain Flour (I used a handfull SR flour)

Instructions: 1. Place grated potato into a bowl, let dry/squeeze dry
(doesn't matter if turns pinkish). 2. Add onion & mix through. 3. Add
beaten egg & mix well. 4. Take around 1 Tbspn mixture, press flat in hand.
5. Put into hot oil in frypan, continue to make more cakes. 6. Cook till
golden on both sides. 7. Drain well on kitchen paper towel.

Basically a potato pancake, to which I added some leftover corn and some
chopped up roast pork.

We had one of those each and that was it for the nights dinner!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterLucas > wrote:

> Well, we finally made it back home after a bit of time away, and it's good
> to be back home and not wet and wrinkly anymore!!
>
> We had some friends call over for a 'short' visit, so we ended up snacking
> on the usual suspects of cheese, salami, dips, bikkies, olives, pickled
> garlic, sushi ginger, coconut gel, gherkins, etc, etc..... along with a
> couple litres of Sangria.
>
> As the visit extended, I got some prawns and garlic aoli out and we knocked
> them off as well.
>
> So later on in the night after they finally left, we were quite
> full........ until about 9pm.
>
> So I made 'Mock Fish'.
> 4-6 Potatoes (Peeled & Grated)
> 1 Chopped Onion
> 1 Egg (Beaten)
> Approx 1 Tbpsn Plain Flour (I used a handfull SR flour)
>
> Instructions: 1. Place grated potato into a bowl, let dry/squeeze dry
> (doesn't matter if turns pinkish). 2. Add onion & mix through. 3. Add
> beaten egg & mix well. 4. Take around 1 Tbspn mixture, press flat in hand.
> 5. Put into hot oil in frypan, continue to make more cakes. 6. Cook till
> golden on both sides. 7. Drain well on kitchen paper towel.
>
> Basically a potato pancake, to which I added some leftover corn and some
> chopped up roast pork.
>
> We had one of those each and that was it for the nights dinner!!

Sounds tasty! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>> 4-6 Potatoes (Peeled & Grated)
>> 1 Chopped Onion
>> 1 Egg (Beaten)
>> Approx 1 Tbpsn Plain Flour (I used a handfull SR flour)

> Sounds tasty! :-)

Sounds like someone forgot salt & sugar.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Vilco" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> >> 4-6 Potatoes (Peeled & Grated)
> >> 1 Chopped Onion
> >> 1 Egg (Beaten)
> >> Approx 1 Tbpsn Plain Flour (I used a handfull SR flour)

> > Sounds tasty! :-)

> Sounds like someone forgot salt & sugar.

You say that like it's a bad thing... <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>>> Sounds tasty! :-)

>> Sounds like someone forgot salt & sugar.

> You say that like it's a bad thing... <g>

Onions make it savoury, so a bit of salt would fit in well, IMHO.
Sugar with onions, sure I wouldn't try
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Vilco" > wrote:

> >> Sounds like someone forgot salt & sugar.

> > You say that like it's a bad thing... <g>

> Onions make it savoury, so a bit of salt would fit in well, IMHO.
> Sugar with onions, sure I wouldn't try

Indeed...

Onions tend to sweeten a bit as they cook.
I generally prefer to salt stuff like this to taste at the table rather
than cooking with it, but that is very much a personal preference. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 1, 2:59 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> PeterLucas > wrote:
> > Well, we finally made it back home after a bit of time away, and it's good
> > to be back home and not wet and wrinkly anymore!!

> > We had some friends call over for a 'short' visit, so we ended up snacking
> > on the usual suspects of cheese, salami, dips, bikkies, olives, pickled
> > garlic, sushi ginger, coconut gel, gherkins, etc, etc..... along with a
> > couple litres of Sangria.

> > As the visit extended, I got some prawns and garlic aoli out and we knocked
> > them off as well.

> > So later on in the night after they finally left, we were quite
> > full........ until about 9pm.

> > So I made 'Mock Fish'.
> > 4-6 Potatoes (Peeled & Grated)
> > 1 Chopped Onion
> > 1 Egg (Beaten)
> > Approx 1 Tbpsn Plain Flour (I used a handfull SR flour)

> > Instructions: 1. Place grated potato into a bowl, let dry/squeeze dry
> > (doesn't matter if turns pinkish). 2. Add onion & mix through. 3. Add
> > beaten egg & mix well. 4. Take around 1 Tbspn mixture, press flat in hand.
> > 5. Put into hot oil in frypan, continue to make more cakes. 6. Cook till
> > golden on both sides. 7. Drain well on kitchen paper towel.

> > Basically a potato pancake, to which I added some leftover corn and some
> > chopped up roast pork.

> > We had one of those each and that was it for the nights dinner!!

But was anyone fooled? I don't think that I could ever mistake a
potato pancake for a fish.

> Sounds tasty! :-)
> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

>>> We had one of those each and that was it for the nights dinner!!

> But was anyone fooled? I don't think that I could ever mistake a
> potato pancake for a fish.

And for a "mock fish"?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 1, 9:07 pm, "Vilco" > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> >> 4-6 Potatoes (Peeled & Grated)
> >> 1 Chopped Onion
> >> 1 Egg (Beaten)
> >> Approx 1 Tbpsn Plain Flour (I used a handfull SR flour)

> > Sounds tasty! :-)

> Sounds like someone forgot salt & sugar.

Nope. Just forgot to mention it in the recipe.

I added salt, but no sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news

>> We had one of those each and that was it for the nights dinner!!

> Sounds tasty! :-)

So much so that the SO has requested a repeat :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® > wrote in
ups.com:

>> > Basically a potato pancake, to which I added some leftover corn and
>> > some chopped up roast pork.

>> > We had one of those each and that was it for the nights dinner!!

> But was anyone fooled? I don't think that I could ever mistake a
> potato pancake for a fish.

http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2007/0...mock-fish.html

"Meanwhile my mum rang so I chatted to her while it cooked. When I told her
I was cooking potato rosti, she said her mum used to make it on Fridays
(her family being good Catholics who didn’t eat meat on Fridays) and they
called it mock fish. She said they thought it was food for poor people and
were surprised when potato rosti became a bit posh. Interestingly,
according to the Rösti page on Wikipedia, this dish was originally eaten by
farmers in Switzerland (I looked for mock fish on Wiki but they are yet to
acknowledge that the potato-loving Irish had their own version). Rosti is
something you can dress up or dress down but it is mercifully easy, and
surely tastes much better than a wartime mock fish recipe I saw recently
while browsing in a bookstore."

dinner last night Kate Connally General Cooking 7 22-09-2009 06:39 PM
Last night's Honors night dinner maxine in ri General Cooking 0 18-06-2009 05:19 PM
Last Night's Dinner SD General Cooking 5 11-07-2006 08:03 PM
£1.50 Caiprinhas All Night !!!!!! Brazilian & Angolan Club Night, London [email protected] General 0 13-02-2006 12:38 PM
dinner tonight, and last night, and the night before, and tomorrow night. . . Kate Connally General Cooking 1 12-04-2005 11:00 PM