Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares - U.S. version

Watched it just now on iTunes. I thought it was great. The sad thing about
it though is the way the family on that came off. I'm half Italian, and it
was embarrassing to watch these mob wannabes. Not all Italian-Americans
think we're characters from The Godfather.

Anyone else watch the show?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Davlo" > writes:
> Watched it just now on iTunes. I thought it was great. The sad thing about
> it though is the way the family on that came off. I'm half Italian, and it
> was embarrassing to watch these mob wannabes. Not all Italian-Americans
> think we're characters from The Godfather.
>
> Anyone else watch the show?

Yes. I love the BBC version so wanted to check out the Fox show. It's
kind of disappointing. I love Gordon Ramsey, and the basic format of the show
is the same. But it drives me NUTS when they blur out the faces when somebody
drops an F-bomb, and I really don't like the Cops-like production style. I
hate that they show recaps after every commercial because we Americans are too
stupid to remember what we watched 5 minutes ago, and I hate that they spoil
the whole show with teasers at the beginning.

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sharon wrote:
> In article >, "Davlo"
> > writes:
>> Watched it just now on iTunes. I thought it was great. The sad thing
>> about it though is the way the family on that came off. I'm half
>> Italian, and it was embarrassing to watch these mob wannabes. Not
>> all Italian-Americans think we're characters from The Godfather.
>>
>> Anyone else watch the show?

> Yes. I love the BBC version so wanted to check out the Fox show.
> It's
> kind of disappointing. I love Gordon Ramsey, and the basic format of
> the show is the same. But it drives me NUTS when they blur out the
> faces when somebody drops an F-bomb, and I really don't like the
> Cops-like production style. I
> hate that they show recaps after every commercial because we
> Americans are too stupid to remember what we watched 5 minutes ago,
> and I hate that they spoil
> the whole show with teasers at the beginning.

Not having seen the BBC version, I find the show amusing. They bleep the
F-word because US television censors require it. Don't know about the
"Cops-like" thing. They also showed the recaps after commercials in 'Hell's
Kitchen' and I agree it's totally unnecessary. A brief recap at the
beginning of Hell's Kitchen may have been necessary if you missed the week
before. But Kitchen Nightmares is not the same ongoing premise. It's one
restaurant per show.

And hey, if that guy in the Italian family restaurant strutted around acting
like someone from the cast of the Sopranos, so be it. The rest of the
family didn't act like total asses. If he was the one dragging their family
restaurant down (and from what everyone on staff said, he was) then what
else would you expect?

The guy thought he was a big-shot. Kept calling it "my restaurant" when in
fact his sister owned it and he was just a host (and a poor one, at that).
He was too busy taking money from the till, showing off his watch, drinking
wine and eating food from the kitchen to contribute anything. That, and
having hissy fits.

If that reflects poorly on Italian-Americans, too bad. He was what he
was... a lazy bum who thought he was more important than he was. I liked
the change in the menu. The customers seemed to realy like it, too. And
the kitchen re-do that Gordon had done was fantastic.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> And hey, if that guy in the Italian family restaurant strutted around
> acting
> like someone from the cast of the Sopranos, so be it. The rest of the
> family didn't act like total asses. If he was the one dragging their
> family
> restaurant down (and from what everyone on staff said, he was) then what
> else would you expect?
>
> The guy thought he was a big-shot. Kept calling it "my restaurant" when
> in
> fact his sister owned it and he was just a host (and a poor one, at that).
> He was too busy taking money from the till, showing off his watch,
> drinking
> wine and eating food from the kitchen to contribute anything. That, and
> having hissy fits.
>
> If that reflects poorly on Italian-Americans, too bad. He was what he
> was... a lazy bum who thought he was more important than he was. I liked
> the change in the menu. The customers seemed to realy like it, too. And
> the kitchen re-do that Gordon had done was fantastic.

I guess you didn't see the sous chef, the two "bill collectors" and the
waiter. They all strutted around like Soprano characters. I don't have a
problem with the show presenting these guys as they did - my problem is with
the guys who act that way. They give all Italian-Americans a bad name.

It would be much like a show featuring Irish guys who were all drunks and
got into fights constantly. I bet then you wouldn't say "too bad."