Posted to rec.food,rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

Default Chinese/Japanese way of eating soup?

Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way to
eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand, tip it and
drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right hand
to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.

He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are not
used in the East.

Can anybody corroborate this?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

On Sep 26, 5:52 am, Peter A > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>
> > Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way to
> > eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand, tip it and
> > drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right hand
> > to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.

> > He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are not
> > used in the East.

> > Can anybody corroborate this?

> I know that what you say is true in Japan. I have heard that it is also
> true in China, but I've never been there so can't be sure.

One things for sure, chopsticks wouldn't work very well for the broth
portion

For soup, a spoon more "useful." See:

http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/

> --
> Peter Aitken

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food,rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

Slint Flig > wrote:
>Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way to
>eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand, tip it and
>drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right hand
>to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.

Yes, pretty much. Watch the film _Tampopo_.

>He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are not
>used in the East.

For the most part this is also true.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 26, 1:24 am, "Slint Flig" > wrote:
> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way to
> eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand, tip it and
> drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right hand
> to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.
>
> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are not
> used in the East.
>
> Can anybody corroborate this?

In Japan, I think yes. Spoons are seldom part of the place setting.
If you're eating noodles in broth, the noodles are the thing and
chopsticks are the utensil to use. If you're eating miso soup, stir
with chopsticks, drink from bowl.

In China, it depends on the kind of soup. Some focus on solid
ingredients and chopsticks would be used for the most part. But there
are other soups which focus on the broth and for those, porcelain
spoons are used.

In my experience, at least. -aem

Posted to rec.food,rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

On 09/26/2007 04:24:33 "Slint Flig" > wrote:

> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way to
> eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand, tip it and
> drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right hand
> to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.

> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are not
> used in the East.

> Can anybody corroborate this?

I've never been to China or Japan, but I've had Japanese friends over the years here in New York City. Those fresh from Japan do it pretty much as you describe. The others caught on to our sensitivities, and, in true Japanese tradition, fit in by blending in. So, it looks like your friend is right.
Michael
Posted to rec.food,rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

Michael wrote on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:49:01 -0400:

??>> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the
??>> appropriate way to eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to
??>> take the bowl in one hand, tip it and drink from it while
??>> simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right hand to
??>> sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.

??>> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian
??>> restaurants are not used in the East.

??>> Can anybody corroborate this?

I think that it is true that people drink soup from the bowl in
Japan judging by movies as others have mentioned. I have tried
it that way and it's not difficult tho' I find it less messy to
use chopsticks for noodles etc.

I wonder what is the custom in Viet Nam for Pho. Around here,
people of all ethnicities eat the noodles and meat with
chopsticks. It might be quite practical to drink the remaining
soup from the bow but it's a big bowl and I've never seen anyone
do it.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

[one non-existing and one irrelevant newsgroup elided]

James Silverton > wrote:

> I wonder what is the custom in Viet Nam for Pho. Around here,
> people of all ethnicities eat the noodles and meat with
> chopsticks. It might be quite practical to drink the remaining
> soup from the bow but it's a big bowl and I've never seen anyone
> do it.

From what I have seen at what appears to be a very authentic Vietnamese
restaurant here, the mostly Vietnamese patrons often use chopsticks in
one hand and a Chinese-type short plastic spoon in another, to eat
respectively the solids and the liquid. The same thing is described by
the wonderful "pho" article by the late R. W. Apple I posted before.
Pho seems to be the only soup thus eaten in Vietnam, as it is the only
one to be served in a big bowl individually to a person. Other soups,
such as for example canh chua, are ladled from a big bowl to diners'
small bowls, with the solids eaten with chopsticks and the liquid
sipped.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Slint Flig wrote:
> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way
> to eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand,
> tip it and drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in
> your right hand to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your
> mouth.
>
> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are
> not used in the East.
>
> Can anybody corroborate this?

(snipped ridiculous cross-postings)

It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the bowl. Your
friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not the same as 'soup spoons' in
the U.S. They are made for sipping of soup. They are usually made of
porcelain (as are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Bob is offline

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the bowl. Your
> friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not the same as 'soup spoons' in
> the U.S. They are made for sipping of soup. They are usually made of
> porcelain (as are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.
>
> Jill

What planet are you from? You've never been to Japan, have you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:29:38 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Slint Flig wrote:
>> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way
>> to eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand,
>> tip it and drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in
>> your right hand to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your
>> mouth.
>>
>> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are
>> not used in the East.
>>
>> Can anybody corroborate this?

>(snipped ridiculous cross-postings)
>
>It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the bowl. Your
>friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not the same as 'soup spoons' in
>the U.S. They are made for sipping of soup. They are usually made of
>porcelain (as are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.
>
>Jill

Slint Flig is correct from my observations of the way oriental people
eat soup. They pick up their bowls, often smaller and lighter than
English soup bowls, and sip and use their chop sticks. Seen it many
times.

aloha,
Cea
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:29:38 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Slint Flig wrote:
>> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way
>> to eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand,
>> tip it and drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in
>> your right hand to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your
>> mouth.
>>
>> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are
>> not used in the East.
>>
>> Can anybody corroborate this?

>(snipped ridiculous cross-postings)
>
>It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the bowl. Your
>friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not the same as 'soup spoons' in
>the U.S. They are made for sipping of soup. They are usually made of
>porcelain (as are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.
>
>Jill

japanese don't sip from bowls and thais don't eat dipping sauces.
jill, you're truly a font of information on the inscrutable oriental.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:16:58 GMT:

??>> Slint Flag wrote:
??>>> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the
??>>> appropriate way to eat/drink soup (egg, miso soup) is to
??>>> take the bowl in one hand, tip it and drink from it while
??>>> simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right hand to
??>>> sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.
??>>>
??>>> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian
??>>> restaurants are not used in the East.
??>>>
??>>> Can anybody corroborate this?
??>>
??>> (snipped ridiculous cross-postings)
??>>
??>> It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the
??>> bowl. Your friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not
??>> the same as 'soup spoons' in the U.S. They are made for
??>> sipping of soup. They are usually made of porcelain (as
??>> are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.
??>>
??>> Jill
??>>
bm> japanese don't sip from bowls and thais don't eat dipping
bm> sauces. jill, you're truly a font of information on the
bm> inscrutable oriental.

I don't like cross posting so I did not do so but I asked the
question under "Eating soup?" on alt.food.asian and got some
useful replies. Musashi is of Japanese ancestry, I believe, and
usually knows what he is talking about.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Slint Flig wrote:
>> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way
>> to eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand,
>> tip it and drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in
>> your right hand to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your
>> mouth.
>>
>> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are
>> not used in the East.
>>
>> Can anybody corroborate this?

> (snipped ridiculous cross-postings)
>
> It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the bowl. Your
> friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not the same as 'soup spoons' in
> the U.S. They are made for sipping of soup. They are usually made of
> porcelain (as are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:16:58 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:29:38 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:
>
>>Slint Flig wrote:
>>> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way
>>> to eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand,
>>> tip it and drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in
>>> your right hand to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your
>>> mouth.
>>>
>>> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are
>>> not used in the East.
>>>
>>> Can anybody corroborate this?

>>(snipped ridiculous cross-postings)
>>
>>It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the bowl. Your
>>friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not the same as 'soup spoons' in
>>the U.S. They are made for sipping of soup. They are usually made of
>>porcelain (as are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.
>>
>>Jill
>>

>japanese don't sip from bowls and thais don't eat dipping sauces.
>jill, you're truly a font of information on the inscrutable oriental.
>
>your pal,
>blake

At the end of the soup, people do tip it back.

aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food,rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

Slint Flig wrote:
> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way to
> eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand, tip it and
> drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right hand
> to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.
>
> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are not
> used in the East.
>
> Can anybody corroborate this?

Yes, this is how I learned to drink/eat in when I lived in Japan.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

On Sep 28, 3:11 am, "Sammy" > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > Slint Flig wrote:
> >> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way
> >> to eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand,
> >> tip it and drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in
> >> your right hand to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your
> >> mouth.

> >> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are
> >> not used in the East.

> >> Can anybody corroborate this?

> > (snipped ridiculous cross-postings)

> > It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the bowl. Your
> > friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not the same as 'soup spoons' in
> > the U.S. They are made for sipping of soup. They are usually made of
> > porcelain (as are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.

> > Jill-

I can't figure out which posting belongs to whom, but in Japan, it is
most certainly acceptable to drink soup from the bowl, and is
preferred. The only time I've ever been given a spoon is when I've
had ramen, and that was a Chinese-style spoon.

In Chinese restaurants, and in HK (I've never been to mainland China),
I've always been given a Chinese-style spoon with which to eat soup.
But I've never not used a utensil, nor have I ever seen a Chinese
person not use a spoon when eating soup (that doesn't mean it doesn't
happen, but I have never witnessed it).

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

On Oct 1, 9:42 pm, Rona Y > wrote:
> nor have I ever seen a Chinese
> person not use a spoon when eating soup

At home, if we are having a thin soup, we don't bother with spoons.
However we never sip directly from the bowl in public.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 07:10:32 -0700, Tippi > wrote:

>On Oct 1, 9:42 pm, Rona Y > wrote:
>> nor have I ever seen a Chinese
>> person not use a spoon when eating soup

>At home, if we are having a thin soup, we don't bother with spoons.
>However we never sip directly from the bowl in public.

As we said initially when the question was raised, it is permissible
to sip from one's soup bowl in Japan and in Japanese restaurants in
Hawaii, anyway.

Sure went around the world to establish the fact. Oh well.
aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Rona Y" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 28, 3:11 am, "Sammy" > wrote:

> > > (snipped ridiculous cross-postings)

> > > It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the bowl. Your
> > > friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not the same as 'soup spoons'

in
> > > the U.S. They are made for sipping of soup. They are usually made of
> > > porcelain (as are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.

> > > Jill-

> I can't figure out which posting belongs to whom, but in Japan, it is
> most certainly acceptable to drink soup from the bowl, and is
> preferred. The only time I've ever been given a spoon is when I've
> had ramen, and that was a Chinese-style spoon.

Yes it is the correct way to sip from the soup bowel, but that's if we are
talking
about a Japanese soup bowl.
It certaibly would be incorrect to sip from a western soup bowl.

Ramen soup traditionally is sipped from the bowl. However now just aout
every place
provides a renge (chinese spoon).

Posted to rec.food,rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Slint Flig wrote:
>> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way to
>> eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand, tip it
>> and
>> drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right
>> hand
>> to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.
>>
>> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are not
>> used in the East.
>>
>> Can anybody corroborate this?
>>

> Yes, this is how I learned to drink/eat in when I lived in Japan.
>
> --
> Jean B.

The Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant here that all the oriental businessmen eat
lunch at, they do the sip/shovel thing. Me, I don't care, get me a trough.
Just so I get it all.

ladyredlight

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

I don't know about Japan but in Macau/Hong Kong (China) where I come from,
drinking soup by holding the bowl up to one's lips or by using a porcelain
Chinese soup spoon are both acceptable.

It is considered impolite to leave a bowl of rice on the table and transport
the rice up to one's mouth with a pair of chopsticks. The proper way is to
pick up a morsel of food with the chopsticks and place it in one's mouth,
then immediately hold the bowl of rice to one's mouth and indeed "shovel"
sweep it in with the chopsticks, then eat the morsel of food and rice
together.

"Sammy" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Slint Flig wrote:
>>> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way
>>> to eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand,
>>> tip it and drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in
>>> your right hand to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your
>>> mouth.
>>>
>>> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are
>>> not used in the East.
>>>
>>> Can anybody corroborate this?

>> (snipped ridiculous cross-postings)
>>
>> It's considered *rude* to drink the soup directly from the bowl. Your
>> friend is an idiot. Spoons in Japan are not the same as 'soup spoons' in
>> the U.S. They are made for sipping of soup. They are usually made of
>> porcelain (as are the soup bowls) but sometimes simple ceramic.
>>
>> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

edm101 wrote:
> I don't know about Japan but in Macau/Hong Kong (China) where I come
> from, drinking soup by holding the bowl up to one's lips or by using a
> porcelain Chinese soup spoon are both acceptable.

I only do this when drinking miso soup.

> It is considered impolite to leave a bowl of rice on the table and
> transport the rice up to one's mouth with a pair of chopsticks. The
> proper way is to pick up a morsel of food with the chopsticks and place
> it in one's mouth, then immediately hold the bowl of rice to one's mouth
> and indeed "shovel" sweep it in with the chopsticks, then eat the morsel
> of food and rice together.

Good, cuz that's what I do..

--
Dan

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message

> edm101 wrote:
>> I don't know about Japan but in Macau/Hong Kong (China) where I come
>> from, drinking soup by holding the bowl up to one's lips or by using a
>> porcelain Chinese soup spoon are both acceptable.

> I only do this when drinking miso soup.

Apologies if i offend any here, but having just come from living 6.5 years
in Japan, there's some inaccurate info here.

>> It is considered impolite to leave a bowl of rice on the table and
>> transport the rice up to one's mouth with a pair of chopsticks. The

Not really. Its ok to do that. What you do not do is pour soy sauce on the
rice. It (and any other sauces) go in a dip bowl.

>> proper way is to pick up a morsel of food with the chopsticks and place
>> it in one's mouth, then immediately hold the bowl of rice to one's mouth
>> and indeed "shovel" sweep it in with the chopsticks, then eat the morsel
>> of food and rice together.

You see this, but it is not the only way nor is is impolite to leave the
rice bowl on the table when you eat from it.

> Good, cuz that's what I do..

Thats ok Dan. What you do is 'ok' but folks used to chopsticks dont need to
do it that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

edm101 wrote:
> I don't know about Japan but in Macau/Hong Kong (China) where I come
> from, drinking soup by holding the bowl up to one's lips or by using a
> porcelain Chinese soup spoon are both acceptable.

I lived in Japan for 4 years and only saw Japanese people drink the soup
as above. I doubt if everyone was doing it, that it is considered rude.
This is done after the noodles, etc are eaten with chopsticks.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food,rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

I have always been told that what you say is true in Japan. As for China, I
have very little information other than the occasional movie, where there is
a mixture of what you have been told and the big ceramic or plastic spoon.
Ang Lee's famous "Eat Drink Man Woman" (unsure of the exact title) shows the
family using chopsticks and the big spoons.

"Slint Flig" > wrote in message
> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way to
> eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand, tip it and
> drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right hand
> to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.
>
> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are not
> used in the East.
>
> Can anybody corroborate this?

Posted to rec.food,rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

"suds" wrote

>I have always been told that what you say is true in Japan. As for China,
>I have very little information other than the occasional movie, where there
>is a mixture of what you have been told and the big ceramic or plastic
>spoon. Ang Lee's famous "Eat Drink Man Woman" (unsure of the exact title)
>shows the family using chopsticks and the big spoons.
>
> "Slint Flig" > wrote in message
>> Hi, I have a friend who says that in China/Japan the appropriate way to
>> eat/drink soup (eg, miso soup) is to take the bowl in one hand, tip it
>> and
>> drink from it while simultaneously using the chopsticks in your right
>> hand
>> to sort of.. shovel.. the chunkier bits into your mouth.
>>
>> He says the big spoons that are used in Western Asian restaurants are not
>> used in the East.
>>
>> Can anybody corroborate this?

Suds, you are correct for Japan but they also use the asiatic shaped spoon
at times though less so than other parts of Asia.

Proper Japanese eating is to lift the bowl in the left hand, sip with a
slurp (not exxagurated like a kid would do but enough to show pleasure in
eating) and lift solids out with the chopsticks in the right hand. Lefties
might reverse this ;-)

Posted to rec.food,rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.cooking

"suds" > wrote in message
>I have always been told that what you say is true in Japan. As for China,
>I have very little information other than the occasional movie, where there
>is a mixture of what you have been told and the big ceramic or plastic
>spoon. Ang Lee's famous "Eat Drink Man Woman" (unsure of the exact title)
>shows the family using chopsticks and the big spoons.

<snip>

The spoon is used to sip the broth - it is also used to support the noodles
as they are "slurped" using the chopsticks. The "slurping' as we call it
has several effects. Please note the clear broths or broth with very few
ingredients are sipped directly from the bowl.

1. Like sucking air through a good wine in the tasting process it allows
the pallet to savor the flavor of the broth.
2. Generally the temperature of the noodle soups are much hotter than the
American pallet is accustomed to and the "slurping" tends to cool the
temperature of the noodles.
3. Supporting the ends of the noodles or other ingredients keeps then
from splashing all over your clothes.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)