Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WWT: Dinner at Yummy! with Gloria and a couple other local rfc folks

Here's the post; pics are on my jamlady,eboard.com site.
I'm laid up with a wicked cold and not much energy; I hope to post more
pics in the next couple days.

Gloria Puester came to town for a visit last week. We had a blast! On
Saturday night we hooked up for dinner with SteveDropkin, JuneOshiro and
her husband Matt, Gloria, Rob and I. HeatherWard was supposed to join
us but she took ill at the last minute and wasn't able to come.

Our original plan had been to eat at Shuang Cheng in Dinkytown but when
Gloria and I had breakfast at Al's in Dinkytown on Saturday we realized
that parking was going to be impossible for blocks due to an Oktoberfest
thang happening that evening. Uh, no thanks.

Plan B became Yummy! on Eat Street in South Minneapolis, 25th and
Nicollet.

It was interesting -- Heather had made the reservation for us for 7:00
p.m. according to the restaurant guy. We all thought we were meeting at
6:00 and the restaurant manager was surprised but our early arrivals
were no problem. Then it turns out Heather never showed up besides. We
were fretful that an ill wind had befallen her and I didn't have my cell
phone with me. I picked up her message when we got home.

We ordered a couple appetizers: Jellyfish with Pig Knuckles and egg
rolls. We'd ordered the jellyfish last time we were there and Steve and
I lobbied for it again. I think Rob wasn't so enthusiastic about the
prospect but he had two servings of it. :-) The jellyfish is in a
sweet-sour sauce and packs some heat from red pepper seeds. Tasty. The
egg rolls were okay ‹ nothing exceptional, I think, but good enough.

When it came to mains, we each ordered what we wanted and were prepared
to share. June ordered scallops in garlic sauce; Matt, the beef chow
fun. Gloria opted for the Mongolian beef while I was ready to enjoy the
eggplant and short ribs hotpot again. We also ordered the pea tips * a
bit cautiously since it seems out of season for them.

Steve ordered pork with pine seeds and Rob chose the chicken in garlic
sauce.

The eggplant dish was not in a hotpot ‹ no broth to speak of and fairly
greasy from the short ribs. Still, I loved it and finished the plate
because I couldn't bear the thought of all that grease congealing in my
refrigerator.

The pea tips were passable but not the best we've had. Personally, I
think I'd like them better without the consommé.

The beef in the beef dishes was very tender and we all enjoyed it.
Frankly, I don't remember much about Steve's pork dish other than it had
corn in it.

Inasmuch as I have a fridge full of leftovers from our first two meals
while Gloria was in house (Hungarian Short Ribs and Eva Kende's Chicken
Paprikas), the only thing we brought home was Rob's garlic chicken. He
had it for lunch yesterday while Gloria finished the pasta from Friday's
lunch at Marx in Stillwater.

I think at least some of dining companions were chuckling some about my
propensity for photographing all our dishes, but I'll betcha they're
enjoying the looksee now. Ppffthhggbtt. "-)

Our tickets came to $20 each with tax and tip included. Reasonable
enough; it would have been more if we'd had beer or wine.

As ever, the company was great! June and Matt and Steve are all
delightful and I was really glad that we could make a plan so they could
meet Gloria.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Dinner at Yummy! 9-15-2007 Pictures included.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The beef in the beef dishes was very tender and we all enjoyed it.
> Frankly, I don't remember much about Steve's pork dish other than it had
> corn in it.

I remember the pork was cured and tasted of star anise or maybe even
five spice. There were quite a few other small-cut vegs in it, all
tasty, but not easy to identify.

It was a fun evening as attested to by the fact that we were there for
three hours, laughed a lot, and ate tasty food. The company was terrific.

gloria p

Very yummy dinner! Ozgirl Diabetic 2 19-08-2011 11:32 PM
Tonight's yummy dinner. ImStillMags General Cooking 21 15-06-2011 05:57 PM
Yummy dinner tonight! Julie Bove Diabetic 0 21-08-2010 05:08 AM
A couple of our local pubs menus..... PeterL General Cooking 0 15-11-2006 02:29 AM
tonight's yummy dinner Jude General Cooking 2 18-05-2005 05:18 PM