Steve Wertz

Default Annoying things about posts

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:51:10 GMT, Sylvia
> wrote:

>Cut down the quoting to you only quote what you're actually referring to.

The problem with many of your posts is that when you change the
subject, it starts a new thread on many people's newsreader. You
never seem to properly attribute the text you quoted, and all too
often you don't include enough of the previous text to properly put
your new post in the correct context.

That was about as civilized of a reponse as I can possibly muster. I
expect that your reaction would be for me to go screw myself, as you
don't seem to care about fixing the problem.

>Now, can we stop the "criticize Sylvia" nonsense and get back to
>discussing cooking?

Besides myself, I've seen two other poeple comment on your posting
style - and those responses were fairly polite. You shouldn't be so
pig-headed and get all indignant about it.

-sw
BOB

Then there are the people that automatically disregard the posts that make
absolutely no sense at all

BOB

Default chicken <--> turkey

In rec.food.cooking, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Yes, you can sub. it and it'll taste better too. At least in my opinion.

> I don't understand the facination with chicken. As far as I'm
> concerned it has absolutely no flavor and you can keep it. And yes,
> I've tried free range.

IMO, chicken has more flavor than turkey, and is much moister.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, Darryl L. Pierce > wrote:

> If you don't prefer it, then you don't buy it, and you adapt recipes to
> suit your tastes. I personally don't see a fascination with chicken; I
> agree with you that it's mostly a blank canvas and the real flavor comes
> from the herbs, marinades and toppings used when preparing it. To me,
> that's good since it's lets me define the flavors myself.

I don't know where you get this. I season the skin with salt and pepper,
bake it, and it comes out delicious. Are there other mild-flavored foods
which you are unable to taste? Do you smoke a lot of cigarettes? Maybe
you have a neurological condition? A sinus condition? Do you think that
water has no taste?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Frogleg

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:27:08 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

>In rec.food.cooking, Darryl L. Pierce > wrote:
>
>> If you don't prefer it, then you don't buy it, and you adapt recipes to
>> suit your tastes. I personally don't see a fascination with chicken; I
>> agree with you that it's mostly a blank canvas and the real flavor comes
>> from the herbs, marinades and toppings used when preparing it. To me,
>> that's good since it's lets me define the flavors myself.

>I don't know where you get this. I season the skin with salt and pepper,
>bake it, and it comes out delicious. Are there other mild-flavored foods
>which you are unable to taste? Do you smoke a lot of cigarettes? Maybe
>you have a neurological condition? A sinus condition? Do you think that
>water has no taste?

No need to cast nasturtiums at another's taste preferences. Many find
supermarket chicken of any sort tasteless. Some claim "free range"
fowl have more/better taste. I dunno. None available in my
neighborhood. Some favor boneless, skinless breasts as a "blank
canvas". Others prefer different parts and different preps. *I* don't
like fat (except bacon, crispy) and a plain ol' chicken breast of
whatever ancestry *for me* provides a terrific base for a whole bunch
of dishes I enjoy -- salads, fillings, a tidy piece of grilled meat,
stir-fry, etc., etc.

I *do* think turkey and chicken taste different, but for many preps,
the same or similar recipes apply.

-L.

Steve Calvin > wrote in message ws.com>...
> -L. wrote:
>

> > Geez. Where do you live?
> >
> > -L.

> New York, but I've also had my bro-in-laws chickens from his farm in
> NW, PA. Still no flavor.

Maybe you just don't like chicken (?)

I must say my DH has noticed regional differences in flavor, but the
chickens we've had in DC (closest to you) were ok. The worst chickens
we had were purchased in San Jose, the best in Indianapolis straight
from an Amish farmer. DH prefers dark meat - more flavor - so that
may be an issue as well. We always season with lots of garlic and
herbs, and ususally a little chili powder for color/flavor.

Sorry you've had such bad luck with chickens.

-L.
Steve Calvin

-L. wrote:

> Steve Calvin > wrote in message ws.com>...
>
>>-L. wrote:
>>

>>>Geez. Where do you live?
>>>
>>>-L.

>>New York, but I've also had my bro-in-laws chickens from his farm in
>>NW, PA. Still no flavor.

> Maybe you just don't like chicken (?)
>
> I must say my DH has noticed regional differences in flavor, but the
> chickens we've had in DC (closest to you) were ok. The worst chickens
> we had were purchased in San Jose, the best in Indianapolis straight
> from an Amish farmer. DH prefers dark meat - more flavor - so that
> may be an issue as well. We always season with lots of garlic and
> herbs, and ususally a little chili powder for color/flavor.
>
> Sorry you've had such bad luck with chickens.
>
> -L.

I don't dislike 'em, just think that they don't have very much flavor.

Yeah, I agree that they're edible if flavored up enough. I just
understand why they're so ultra popular. <shrugs shoulders> To each
their own I s'pose.

--
Steve

Carnivore269

Steve Calvin > wrote in message ws.com>...
> -L. wrote:
>
> > Steve Calvin > wrote in message ws.com>...

> >>New York, but I've also had my bro-in-laws chickens from his farm in
> >>NW, PA. Still no flavor.

> > Maybe you just don't like chicken (?)
> >
> > I must say my DH has noticed regional differences in flavor, but the
> > chickens we've had in DC (closest to you) were ok. The worst chickens
> > we had were purchased in San Jose, the best in Indianapolis straight
> > from an Amish farmer. DH prefers dark meat - more flavor - so that
> > may be an issue as well. We always season with lots of garlic and
> > herbs, and ususally a little chili powder for color/flavor.
> >
> > Sorry you've had such bad luck with chickens.
> >
> > -L.

> I don't dislike 'em, just think that they don't have very much flavor.
>
> Yeah, I agree that they're edible if flavored up enough. I just
> understand why they're so ultra popular. <shrugs shoulders> To each
> their own I s'pose.

Probably ought to change the thread now to "why eat chicken?" <G>
I do because it is a cheap source of healthy protein, and a good blank
slate for tons and tons of recipes. I don't use a lot of breast, but
instead buy the boneless skinless thighs for most recipes and just buy
drumsticks or hindquarters, or even wings sometimes for plain ol' pan
fried chicken! I start out with a little olive oil, bring the oil up
to heat then plop in the chicken pieces, and spice with garlic powder,
onion powder, LOTS of salt free lemon pepper, and other herbs
depending on my mood such as rosemary, Thyme, sage, and/or basil,
often fresh from the herb garden.

My dad eats it up. ;-) He is 71 and lives with me and I do the
majority of the cooking as he admits that I am better at it. <G>

I serve fresh steamed or raw veggies on the side, and some fresh
fruit. No starch except the occasional 1/2 ear of fresh corn on the
cob.

I'd say that at least 1/2 to 3/4 of our daily protein comes from
chicken cooked in various ways. Next would be eggs, (from our own
hens) then beef, fish, pork and turkey.

C.
Frogleg

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:50:57 GMT, Steve Calvin >
wrote:

>-L. wrote:

>> Sorry you've had such bad luck with chickens.
>>

>I don't dislike 'em, just think that they don't have very much flavor.
>
>Yeah, I agree that they're edible if flavored up enough. I just
>understand why they're so ultra popular. <shrugs shoulders>

There are a million recipes for chicken -- whole & parts. They're
relatively cheap. They're *available* everywhere. Parts can be cooked
in a few minutes. For many concerned about problems associated with
"red meat" you got y'r chicken, y'r turkey, and y'r fish. Those are
some of the reasons chicken is "ultra popular."
Sylvia

> The problem with many of your posts is that when you change the
subject, it starts a new thread on many people's newsreader.

And this is a problem why? IAC, that is the reader's problem, not mine.
Just as the things that other people do which annoy me are my problem,
not the poster's. If I had jumped in telling other people how they
should post, many if not most of the people here criticizing me would no
doubt have objected forcefully. Yet several people feel free to tell me
to change my posting habits, when I'm courteously trying to keep the
subject reflecting what the message actually contains, and minimizing
quotes from previous messages both to avoid clutter and to help those
who have to pay for their connection by the minute, and all I get is
criticism. That isn't fair or appropriate.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Steve Calvin > wrote:

> true, but that means I need to buy and eat 'em.... why? I'm no
> trolling, I just really don't understand. That flavorless stuff is
> everywhere and people buy it. It just confuses the h*ll outta me.

Chicken needs to be cooked with herbs and spices to bring out
its flavor. Modern chicken is mildly flavored. The advantage
to chicken vs. turkey is that chicken takes a lot less time to
cook if you're cooking the bird whole or in parts, not fileted.