Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to cut Italian sausage?

Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
> sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
> trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
> frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
> cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
> there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
> before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Cook them whole first, by putting them in a frying pan in about an inch
of water, simmering for 15 minutes, turning until the water evaporates.
Then you can add oil if you want to, but I don't, they are fatty enough.
Turn the heat up to medium high then and brown on all sides. (Don't
prick the sides, so as much of the seasoning will stay in.)

Then slice them, and if you want them brown on the flat sides, toss them
back in.

When they are raw the casing holds them together--if you slice them then
they can fall apart before they are cooked. When cooked, they hold their
shape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote:

> Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
> sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
> trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
> frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
> cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
> there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
> before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

SHARP knife. Cold meat. Once slice.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
> sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
> trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
> frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
> cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
> there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
> before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Put the whole sausages in the freezer for 30-60 minutes or until they feel
"firm". Use a sharp knife.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
> sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
> trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
> frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
> cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
> there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
> before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Cook the sausags first, then cut them. I use 1/2 cup water to boil them in
the pan then when the water has boiled off, I fry them to brown them.
Pierce the casings so the excess fat cooks out. I cut them on the bias, for
appearace.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried an egg slicer?
>>

> Not a bad idea.

You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can use
an egg slicer to cut them in slices? Paging Ron Popeil, paging Ron Popeil.
If a person can't handle a knife well enough to cut a sausage, they should
order a pizza (delivered). Funny, but just today I was chatting with a
woman who said she never realized she could cook until somebody actually
gave her a truly sharp knife and showed her how to use it. She was told
knives stay sharp forever, you see.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you tried an egg slicer?
>>>

>> Not a bad idea.

> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can use
> an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco's Tacos" > wrote :

> Put the whole sausages in the freezer for 30-60 minutes or until they feel
> "firm". Use a sharp knife.

Another good idea! Go, Paco! I love this group.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> Not a bad idea.

>> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
>> use an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

> Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

How else will it fit, bitch?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:53:04 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
>>> use
>>> an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

>> Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

> Uh, I was joking. Do you know what putting a raw, cased sausage
> would do when the egg slicer comes down on it?
>
> Think about it.

I have never used one, but figured they must be very sharp. Duh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SW" > wrote in message
t...
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 04:45:52 GMT, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Not a bad idea.

>> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
>> use
>> an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

> Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
> I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:
>
> GULLIBLE.

I have it tattoed on my hiney.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SW" > wrote in message
t...
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 04:45:52 GMT, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Not a bad idea.

>> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
>> use
>> an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

> Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
> I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:
>
> GULLIBLE.

Me? Hah, she was serious. I knew the idea was a joke. Wertz was jesting
at how people seem to think cooking has to emply exotic and specialized
tools.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:07:58 -0400, cybercat wrote:

>>> Uh, I was joking. Do you know what putting a raw, cased sausage
>>> would do when the egg slicer comes down on it?
>>>
>>> Think about it.
>>>

>> I have never used one, but figured they must be very sharp. Duh.

> Egg slicers are basically just thin wire. They wouldn't cut
> through a sausage casing. It would just smash the guts out of
> it.
>
> <sigh> Now I really feel guilty for being sarcastic.

You should save that kind of thing for us professionals. I know I make it
look easy, but it took many years of practice to perfect.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "SW" > wrote in message
> t...

>>> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
>>> use
>>> an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

>> Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
>> I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:
>>
>> GULLIBLE.
>>

> I have it tattoed on my hiney.

We call those tramp stamps in these parts.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:08:31 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
>> "SW" > wrote in message
>>
>>> GULLIBLE.
>>>

>> I have it tattoed on my hiney.

> I thought that was a price tag.
>
> -sw (filling in for Gregory)

Nice job!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "SW" > wrote in message
>> t...

>>> Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
>>> I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:
>>>
>>> GULLIBLE.
>>>

>> I have it tattoed on my hiney.

> We call those tramp stamps in these parts.

I have heard that, and think it is hilarious. And what a great place to have
GULLIBLE tattoed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> <sigh> Now I really feel guilty for being sarcastic.

No, no, no. You just educated me about egg slicers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "SW" > wrote in message
>>> t...

>>> I have it tattoed on my hiney.

>> We call those tramp stamps in these parts.
>>

> I have heard that, and think it is hilarious. And what a great place to
> have GULLIBLE tattoed!

Always put your best side forward, I always say. And that is a harmless
joke, Om. Just like my Ron Popeil crack. Sorry you were offended. Wasn't
intentional.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:05:10 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:
>
>ObFood: My first batch of Vicyssoise was made tonight.
>
>-sw

How was it?

I *think* I last made it about 23 years ago...the last time I lived
here in Albuquerque. I seem to remember fixing it for a summer
dinner, that had a tenderloin as the main course (Bearnaise on the
side.

It was good, but so very rich. Then, I was making potato soups with
chicken stock as the base...and since then, I have switched to
sometimes using just water as the liquid. Seems to give a purer, more
potatoey flavor, at least in my estimation. I started doing this
after reading something from Richard Olney, in which he described his
potato leek soup. He used potatoes, leeks, water and butter, salt and
pepper.
Hmm..wonder how that version would do as a vichyssoise?

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "SW" > wrote in message
> t...

>>> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you
>>> can use
>>> an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

>> Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
>> I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:
>>
>> GULLIBLE.
>>

> I have it tattoed on my hiney.

errrrrrrrrrrrrr what's a hiney?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> It was good, but so very rich. Then, I was making potato soups with
> chicken stock as the base...and since then, I have switched to
> sometimes using just water as the liquid. Seems to give a purer, more
> potatoey flavor, at least in my estimation.

That is very interesting Christine. I always use chicken stock and it never
occurred to me to use water. I will give it a try!

I started doing this
> after reading something from Richard Olney, in which he described his
> potato leek soup. He used potatoes, leeks, water and butter, salt and
> pepper.
> Hmm..wonder how that version would do as a vichyssoise?

Thank you for sharing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:
> "cybercat" wrote:

> >> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
> >> use an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

> > Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

> How else will it fit, bitch?
>
> Paul

The Tvat can't wrap her pea brain around the concept that chicken eggs
are half, maybe three times smaller dago sausage, and of course she's
she's only intimately familiar with cocktail sausage.... flash the
Tvat a real schlong and she'd freak! LOL

An egg slicer can't cut through a raw WOP weenie anyway, not even when
cooked... at best when raw the insides would get squeezed out the ends
of the casing if the wires don't snap first... cooked the wires would
break before the casing will break. An egg slicer would have a better
chance at slicing a hard cooked egg while still in the shell.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 1:08?am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "SW" > wrote in message
>
> t...

> >> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
> >> use
> >> an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

> > Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
> > I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:

> > GULLIBLE.

> I have it tattoed on my hiney

In two foot font.

That's not a hiney, that's an entire panzer tank! <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 14, 10:41 pm, " > wrote:
> Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
> sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
> trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
> frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
> cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
> there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
> before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Can't imagine not being able to slice chilled sausage with a sharp
knife. Maybe cleaning your knife after every two or three slices would
help. BUT. If the sliced
shapes are important to you, you're going to lose it in a braise.
Because of the
casing those slices will puff into quasi-meatballs, some of the oddest
shaped ones you've ever seen. Like when a condom--nevermind. If you
want to retain the sliced shape you've got to do what the others
suggest and cook the whole sausage first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:13:43 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

>>> I have never used o

>> Egg slicers are basically
>> through a sausage cas
>> it.
>>
>> <sigh> Now I really feel
>>

>You should save that kind of

I am amazed it took so long to resort to namecalling profanity!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 12:02 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:53:04 -0400, cybercat wrote:
> > "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> >> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can use
> >> an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

> > Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

> Uh, I was joking. Do you know what putting a raw, cased sausage
> would do when the egg slicer comes down on it?
>
> Think about it.

Some of us knew you were joking. The joke was made funny by the fact
that some folks (predictably) thought it was serious.

> -sw

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 12:48 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in messagenews:OUJGi.344$6o2.271@trnddc05...
>

> > "cybercat" > wrote in message

> >> "SW" > wrote in message
> . net...

> >> I have it tattoed on my hiney.

> > We call those tramp stamps in these parts.

> I have heard that, and think it is hilarious. And what a great place to have
> GULLIBLE tattoed!

Or EASY.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 12:09 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "SW" > wrote in message
>
> t...

> >> You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
> >> use
> >> an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

> > Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
> > I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:

> > GULLIBLE.

> Me? Hah, she was serious. I knew the idea was a joke. Wertz was jesting
> at how people seem to think cooking has to emply exotic and specialized
> tools.

"Emply" seems like an interesting hybrid of imply and employ.

Egg slicers are not very exotic. I don't own one, but I detest
deviled eggs (or deviled anything for that matter).

> Paul

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 15, 12:09 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> > "SW" > wrote in message
> >
> > t...

can

> > > Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
> > > I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:

> > > GULLIBLE.

> > Me? Hah, she was serious. I knew the idea was a joke. Wertz was

jesting
> > at how people seem to think cooking has to emply exotic and specialized
> > tools.

> "Emply" seems like an interesting hybrid of imply and employ.

Or just a typo.

> Egg slicers are not very exotic. I don't own one, but I detest
> deviled eggs (or deviled anything for that matter).

Which is why I called upon the lord Popeil.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:13:43 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:

> >> Egg slicers are basically
> >> through a sausage cas
> >> it.
> >>
> >> <sigh> Now I really feel
> >>

> >You should save that kind of

> I am amazed it took so long to resort to namecalling profanity!

Me too. I mean it was what, 2 whole posts?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
> sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
> trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
> frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
> cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
> there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
> before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

(laugh) Aren't you sorry you asked? Me, I poke the sausages
with a fork and bake them in the oven. If you prefer to cook them
in a pan, you probably want to make thicker slices as the sausage
will tend to ball up as you have seen.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:18:39 +0100, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>> "SW" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> GULLIBLE.
>>>

>> I have it tattoed on my hiney.

>errrrrrrrrrrrrr what's a hiney?

It's a behind, a bottom, a rear end..... butt cheeks. Tatoos are
usually in that area below the waist and above the butt cheeks though.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:57:03 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® >
wrote:

>Egg slicers are not very exotic. I don't own one, but I detest
>deviled eggs

That means more for me. Thanks!

>(or deviled anything for that matter).

Can't say I've eaten anything else that was called deviled.

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:11:14 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>Egg slicers are basically just thin wire. They wouldn't cut
>through a sausage casing. It would just smash the guts out of
>it.
>
><sigh> Now I really feel guilty for being sarcastic.

OTOH, why would anyone want to slice a *raw* italian sausage with a
knife? That's a smash in the making too.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

>> I have it tattoed on my hiney.

> errrrrrrrrrrrrr what's a hiney?

The hind-end.
IOW, the 'rear' end.

Ewwhhhhh.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

>>> I have it tattoed on my hiney.

>> We call those tramp stamps in these parts.
>>

> I have heard that, and think it is hilarious. And what a great place to
> have GULLIBLE tattoed!

Particularly if one has round heels, it's good advertisement.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 1:07?am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:53:04 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> >> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> >> Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

> > Uh, I was joking. Do you know what putting a raw, cased sausage
> > would do when the egg slicer comes down on it?

> > Think about it.

> I have never used one, but figured they must be very sharp. Duh.

Actually pretty dull, just ordinary round diameter wire, no sharper
than a gee-tar string... but way sharper than you... I'm positive that
your brain would fit in an egg slicer, easy... just gonna hafta
extricate it from yer ass first. LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo wrote:
>
> >Egg slicers are not very exotic. I don't own one, but I detest
> >deviled eggs

> That means more for me. Thanks!
>
> >(or deviled anything for that matter).

> Can't say I've eaten anything else that was called deviled.

Deviled ham? You'd probably bitch over devils food cake, but in fact
it's only written in a different tense. Deviled simply means piquant/
more highly flavored from the norm.

M-W

devil
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -iled or -illed ; -il?ing or dev?il?ling/'de-v & l-
i[ng], 'dev-li[ng]/
1 : to season highly <deviled eggs>
---

devil
To combine a food with various hot or spicy seasonings such as red
pepper, mustard or tobasco sauce, thereby creating a "deviled" dish.

? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:34:45 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:05:10 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:
>>
>>ObFood: My first batch of Vicyssoise was made tonight.
>>
>>-sw

>How was it?
>
>I *think* I last made it about 23 years ago...the last time I lived
>here in Albuquerque. I seem to remember fixing it for a summer
>dinner, that had a tenderloin as the main course (Bearnaise on the
>side.
>
>It was good, but so very rich. Then, I was making potato soups with
>chicken stock as the base...and since then, I have switched to
>sometimes using just water as the liquid. Seems to give a purer, more
>potatoey flavor, at least in my estimation. I started doing this
>after reading something from Richard Olney, in which he described his
>potato leek soup. He used potatoes, leeks, water and butter, salt and
>pepper.
>Hmm..wonder how that version would do as a vichyssoise?
>
>Christine

That's how Julia Child made her potato soup also. I'll bet it would
make a delicious vichyssoise. Or maybe half broth half water.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/6

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw