Old 15-09-2007, 04:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to cut Italian sausage?

Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Old 15-09-2007, 04:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Cook them whole first, by putting them in a frying pan in about an inch
of water, simmering for 15 minutes, turning until the water evaporates.
Then you can add oil if you want to, but I don't, they are fatty enough.
Turn the heat up to medium high then and brown on all sides. (Don't
prick the sides, so as much of the seasoning will stay in.)

Then slice them, and if you want them brown on the flat sides, toss them
back in.

When they are raw the casing holds them together--if you slice them then
they can fall apart before they are cooked. When cooked, they hold their
shape.

Old 15-09-2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" wrote:

Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

Old 15-09-2007, 05:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

SHARP knife. Cold meat. Once slice.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old 15-09-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Put the whole sausages in the freezer for 30-60 minutes or until they feel
"firm". Use a sharp knife.

Old 15-09-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Cook the sausags first, then cut them. I use 1/2 cup water to boil them in
the pan then when the water has boiled off, I fry them to brown them.
Pierce the casings so the excess fat cooks out. I cut them on the bias, for
appearace.

Paul

Old 15-09-2007, 05:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Steve Wertz" wrote:

Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can use
an egg slicer to cut them in slices? Paging Ron Popeil, paging Ron Popeil.
If a person can't handle a knife well enough to cut a sausage, they should
order a pizza (delivered). Funny, but just today I was chatting with a
woman who said she never realized she could cook until somebody actually
gave her a truly sharp knife and showed her how to use it. She was told
knives stay sharp forever, you see.

Paul

Old 15-09-2007, 05:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Steve Wertz" wrote:

Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can use
an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

Old 15-09-2007, 05:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco's Tacos" wrote :

Put the whole sausages in the freezer for 30-60 minutes or until they feel
"firm". Use a sharp knife.

Another good idea! Go, Paco! I love this group.

Old 15-09-2007, 06:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Steve Wertz" wrote:

Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
use an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

How else will it fit, bitch?

Paul

Old 15-09-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:53:04 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Steve Wertz" wrote:

Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
use
an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

Uh, I was joking. Do you know what putting a raw, cased sausage
would do when the egg slicer comes down on it?

Think about it.

I have never used one, but figured they must be very sharp. Duh.

Old 15-09-2007, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"SW" wrote in message
t...
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 04:45:52 GMT, Paul M. Cook wrote:

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Steve Wertz" wrote:

Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
use
an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:

GULLIBLE.

I have it tattoed on my hiney.

Old 15-09-2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Steve Wertz" wrote:

Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
use
an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:

GULLIBLE.

Me? Hah, she was serious. I knew the idea was a joke. Wertz was jesting
at how people seem to think cooking has to emply exotic and specialized
tools.

Paul

Old 15-09-2007, 06:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:07:58 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:53:04 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Steve Wertz" wrote:

Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
use
an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

Who said anything about cutting the sausage in half, dickweed?

Uh, I was joking. Do you know what putting a raw, cased sausage
would do when the egg slicer comes down on it?

Think about it.

I have never used one, but figured they must be very sharp. Duh.

Egg slicers are basically just thin wire. They wouldn't cut
through a sausage casing. It would just smash the guts out of
it.

sigh Now I really feel guilty for being sarcastic.

You should save that kind of thing for us professionals. I know I make it
look easy, but it took many years of practice to perfect.

Paul

Old 15-09-2007, 06:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Steve Wertz" wrote:

Have you tried an egg slicer?

Not a bad idea.

You're going to dirty a knife just to cut a sausage in half so you can
use
an egg slicer to cut them in slices?

Look in the mirror and tell us what it says on your forehead.
I'll tell you since you probably can't read backwards - it says:

GULLIBLE.

I have it tattoed on my hiney.

We call those tramp stamps in these parts.

Paul