Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2007-09-14) New survey on the RFC site: Silly survey: Friday night food

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:17:28 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>"sf" wrote in message ...
>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:31:29 -0700, Julian Vrieslander
>> > wrote:

>>>Rolling Rock?

>> I almost said yes, but I looked it up. That's not the stumpy bottle
>> I'm thinking of. This one is really stumpy (short neck).

>Mickey's
>
>BOB

Thanks, BOB.... that's the one!
http://www.neonsign.com/eng_tackers/...sbottletin.jpg
It make great beer bread!

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:17:19 -0500, Julie Marie Lancelle
> wrote:

>I've been a lurker here for some time. Couldn't resist this one:
> Mickey's Big Mouth.

that might be the one. the one i seem to recall had some kind of
doodad where the whole lid came off, though, not a screw-top.

glad to see you de-lurk.

your pal,
blake

>On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:31:29 -0700, Julian Vrieslander
>> > wrote:

>> >Rolling Rock?

>> i was thinking it might be that, too, if she was thinking about the
>> pony bottles (a.k.a. 'pocket rockets'). but they're not really
>> stumpy. plus i like rolling rock. in the context of american beers,
>> it's by no means vile.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Sep 2007 18:56:37 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:41:31 -0700, sf wrote:

>>>I'm not a beer drinker and don't like lagers (that's the light
>>>colored stuff, right?) in general - but there's one in a stumpy
>>>green bottle that someone told me was called "green death" back
>>>in the day that I like to make beer bread with.

>> i mostly drink american beer, which i thing is usually thought
>> of as lager or pilsner style. (if not, i'm sure someone will
>> correct me.)
>>
>> the stumpy green bottle rings a bell, but i can't think of the
>> name. did it have a wide mouth as well?

>That would probaby be "Mickey Big Lips". (Mickey's beer in the
>wide-mouth bottle.) I'm not used to that being considered as the
>cheapest along with stuff like Lucky Lager and Shaeffer.

shaeffer isn't *completely* vile. or maybe i was young and foolish.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:12:32 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Lou Decruss said...
>
>> cream cheese on crackers with sardines

>Very doable!!!

Yep! Done it for dinner many times. Beats the hell out of a frozen
pizza. We ended up having Sloppy Joes Friday and I did the Gyros on
Saturday. Both were good. Sunday was Pork Tenderloin w/spuds and an
assortment of grilled veggies.

>Have a nice retreat.

Thanks. We did. We ended up staying 2 extra days so we got back
yesterday. We're leaving tomorrow or Saturday morning until Tuesday.
Then summer will be over and we'll be stuck in the concrete jungle
more often. (or not. LOL)

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:13:22 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:03:21 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I've finally got everything together to try Steves signature Lamb
>> Gyro recipe. I'm jonesin for a Gyro big time.

>You may want to put the raw meat mixture through the food
>processor if you want to come closer to that denser 'Gyrocone'
>(the spit version you see in restaurants) texture to it.

Thanks Steve. I did run it through the FP. The texture was perfect
although it looked horrible after the FP got through with it. I did
2.75 pounds. Wow is that a LOT of spices! Louise thought there was a
bit to much fenugreek so I may scale that back a bit next time. But
you're right, it comes very close to Kronos. I packed the goo in two
loaf pans to about 2 inches. After about 30 minutes I dumped the
grease and flipped the meat to brown the other side and baked for
another 15 minutes. The I cooled them briefly enough to run them
through the meat slicer. I thinly sliced a huge pile of onions and
heated them on a low flame with the meat slices on top. I wrapped the
pita in foil and warmed them in the oven while I was chopping the
tomatoes. The cucumber sauce tasted awesome but it was a bit runny.
I processed the cukes rather than chopping them and I think that was
my problem. Next time I'll just chop.

Overall I'd give you're recipe a 9.5 on a 10 scale. I'll do it again.
The only problem is I stunk big time the next day. I had to pull my
clothes out of the hamper because they stunk too!! Good Stuff!

Thanks,

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:17:28 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>>> I almost said yes, but I looked it up. That's not the stumpy bottle
>>> I'm thinking of. This one is really stumpy (short neck).

>>Mickey's
>>
>>BOB
>>

> Thanks, BOB.... that's the one!
> http://www.neonsign.com/eng_tackers/...sbottletin.jpg
> It make great beer bread!

I was introduced to Mickey's Big Mouth on a sailboat. The owner found that
he could fit more of the shorter bottles in the refrigeration unit than cans
or any other bottles.

Yes, I like it much better for cooking than for drinking.

BOB