Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Allergy workarounds/substitutions - Corn

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with possible Celiac disease, as a
cause of my perceived reactions to wheat (mostly intestinal, lower
abdominal pain, etc.) I never bought into it completely, since, as I
explained to the doc, I could eat rye, oats, and even spelt with no
problem. I did cut wheat out of my diet almost completely, with much
improvement, but would periodically experience similar symptoms, even
when I knew my diet had been clean.

I eventually came to realize that I was much more sensitive to corn
than to wheat, and that was what was sneaking in on me. It appears
that it is only the starch (and perhaps the proteins that come with
it) that bothers me. Corn sugar, syrup, oil, are all fine, but
milligrams of corn starch, and I know it!

Besides the fact that corn starch creeps into so many products and
dishes it's tough to avoid, I still love - and miss - the taste and
texture of many corn dishes. One in particular is Polenta, having
grown up Italian...

Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Several years ago, I was diagnosed with possible Celiac disease, as a
> cause of my perceived reactions to wheat (mostly intestinal, lower
> abdominal pain, etc.) I never bought into it completely, since, as I
> explained to the doc, I could eat rye, oats, and even spelt with no
> problem. I did cut wheat out of my diet almost completely, with much
> improvement, but would periodically experience similar symptoms, even
> when I knew my diet had been clean.
>
> I eventually came to realize that I was much more sensitive to corn
> than to wheat, and that was what was sneaking in on me. It appears
> that it is only the starch (and perhaps the proteins that come with
> it) that bothers me. Corn sugar, syrup, oil, are all fine, but
> milligrams of corn starch, and I know it!
>
> Besides the fact that corn starch creeps into so many products and
> dishes it's tough to avoid, I still love - and miss - the taste and
> texture of many corn dishes. One in particular is Polenta, having
> grown up Italian...
>
> Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
> fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
> substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???
>
> Dave

Can you eat rice; brown rice?
So simple. Perhaps you mentioned it, but I missed it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 13, 12:23 pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > Several years ago, I was diagnosed with possible Celiac disease, as a
> > cause of my perceived reactions to wheat (mostly intestinal, lower
> > abdominal pain, etc.) I never bought into it completely, since, as I
> > explained to the doc, I could eat rye, oats, and even spelt with no
> > problem. I did cut wheat out of my diet almost completely, with much
> > improvement, but would periodically experience similar symptoms, even
> > when I knew my diet had been clean.

> > I eventually came to realize that I was much more sensitive to corn
> > than to wheat, and that was what was sneaking in on me. It appears
> > that it is only the starch (and perhaps the proteins that come with
> > it) that bothers me. Corn sugar, syrup, oil, are all fine, but
> > milligrams of corn starch, and I know it!

> > Besides the fact that corn starch creeps into so many products and
> > dishes it's tough to avoid, I still love - and miss - the taste and
> > texture of many corn dishes. One in particular is Polenta, having
> > grown up Italian...

> > Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
> > fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
> > substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???

> > Dave

> Can you eat rice; brown rice?
> So simple. Perhaps you mentioned it, but I missed it.
> Dee Dee

Yes, rice is fine - thank God!
How about cracked rice, either cereal or the Vietnamese rice porridge?
I could make that up with chicken broth (about 1 in 5 varieties has no
corn or "modified food starch"!)

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Dave > wrote:

> On Sep 13, 12:23 pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> > "Dave" > wrote in message
> >
> > ps.com...
> >

> > > Several years ago, I was diagnosed with possible Celiac disease, as a
> > > cause of my perceived reactions to wheat (mostly intestinal, lower
> > > abdominal pain, etc.) I never bought into it completely, since, as I
> > > explained to the doc, I could eat rye, oats, and even spelt with no
> > > problem. I did cut wheat out of my diet almost completely, with much
> > > improvement, but would periodically experience similar symptoms, even
> > > when I knew my diet had been clean.

That's pretty much what happened to me. I was never diagnosed Coeliac,
but my doctor's attitude was "if eating wheat makes you sick, don't eat
it". So I don't. And I'm much, much healthier than I was.

> > > I eventually came to realize that I was much more sensitive to corn
> > > than to wheat, and that was what was sneaking in on me. It appears
> > > that it is only the starch (and perhaps the proteins that come with
> > > it) that bothers me. Corn sugar, syrup, oil, are all fine, but
> > > milligrams of corn starch, and I know it!

> > > Besides the fact that corn starch creeps into so many products and
> > > dishes it's tough to avoid, I still love - and miss - the taste and
> > > texture of many corn dishes. One in particular is Polenta, having
> > > grown up Italian...

> > > Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
> > > fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
> > > substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???

> > > Dave

> > Can you eat rice; brown rice?
> > So simple. Perhaps you mentioned it, but I missed it.
> > Dee Dee

> Yes, rice is fine - thank God!
> How about cracked rice, either cereal or the Vietnamese rice porridge?
> I could make that up with chicken broth (about 1 in 5 varieties has no
> corn or "modified food starch"!)

Home-made chicken broth is easy to make corn-free.

To the OP, quinoa might be just what you're after.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Several years ago, I was diagnosed with possible Celiac disease, as a
> cause of my perceived reactions to wheat (mostly intestinal, lower
> abdominal pain, etc.) I never bought into it completely, since, as I
> explained to the doc, I could eat rye, oats, and even spelt with no
> problem. I did cut wheat out of my diet almost completely, with much
> improvement, but would periodically experience similar symptoms, even
> when I knew my diet had been clean.

I hope you know that there is a lot more to gluten than just wheat. Rye,
spelt and barley all contain gluten. You can buy gluten free oats. All
other oats may or may not be okay. The issue there as I understand it is
cross contamination in the way the oats are grown, stored and transported.

> I eventually came to realize that I was much more sensitive to corn
> than to wheat, and that was what was sneaking in on me. It appears
> that it is only the starch (and perhaps the proteins that come with
> it) that bothers me. Corn sugar, syrup, oil, are all fine, but
> milligrams of corn starch, and I know it!

Corn is in everything. But I wonder why only the starch would bother you?
That doesn't make sense.

> Besides the fact that corn starch creeps into so many products and
> dishes it's tough to avoid, I still love - and miss - the taste and
> texture of many corn dishes. One in particular is Polenta, having
> grown up Italian...
>
> Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
> fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
> substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???

The only one of those I've tried is quinoa. I like it. Tastes rather like
rice to me. Some needs to be rinsed after cooking or it can be bitter. The
brand I buy says it requires no rinsing. I prepare it like I would a pilaf
with some cooked vegetables added.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> Can you eat rice; brown rice?
> So simple. Perhaps you mentioned it, but I missed it.

Italians can be funny with rice. My in-laws are Italian and rice was not
commonly served in the part of Italy they were from. My FIL wouldn't touch
the stuff for that reason. MIL is less picky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
>
>> Can you eat rice; brown rice?
>> So simple. Perhaps you mentioned it, but I missed it.

> Italians can be funny with rice. My in-laws are Italian and rice was not
> commonly served in the part of Italy they were from. My FIL wouldn't
> touch the stuff for that reason. MIL is less picky.

Ah, yes. Risotto - I'm going to have to perfect this for myself.

I just received in the mail today, "Risotto" by Judith Barrett, and
wondering what broths they use for making risotto.

Basic: veal and chicken backs and necks
Chicken: whole or parts
Vegetable: veggies
Fish: 1 fish frame (scale and head) I wonder what they mean by this: frame,
then they put in parenthesis,scale and head.??

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:

> Several years ago, I was diagnosed with possible Celiac disease, as a
> cause of my perceived reactions to wheat (mostly intestinal, lower
> abdominal pain, etc.) I never bought into it completely, since, as I
> explained to the doc, I could eat rye, oats, and even spelt with no
> problem. I did cut wheat out of my diet almost completely, with much
> improvement, but would periodically experience similar symptoms, even
> when I knew my diet had been clean.
>
> I eventually came to realize that I was much more sensitive to corn
> than to wheat, and that was what was sneaking in on me. It appears
> that it is only the starch (and perhaps the proteins that come with
> it) that bothers me. Corn sugar, syrup, oil, are all fine, but
> milligrams of corn starch, and I know it!
>
> Besides the fact that corn starch creeps into so many products and
> dishes it's tough to avoid, I still love - and miss - the taste and
> texture of many corn dishes. One in particular is Polenta, having
> grown up Italian...
>
> Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
> fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
> substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???
>
> Dave

Barley, rye and oats can also be served up like polenta.

For thickening you can use arrowroot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Barley, rye and oats can also be served up like polenta.

All contain gluten unless you buy gluten free oats.

> For thickening you can use arrowroot.

I think sweet rice flour works better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > ha scritto nel messaggio
ps.com...
.. One in particular is Polenta, having
> grown up Italian...
>
> Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
> fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
> substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???
>
> Dave

Before there was corn, there was polenta of wheat and chestnuts. Try
coarsely ground semolina or spelt or use chestnut flour.

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> "Dave" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> ps.com...
> . One in particular is Polenta, having
>> grown up Italian...
>>
>> Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
>> fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
>> substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???
>>
>> Dave

> Before there was corn, there was polenta of wheat and chestnuts. Try
> coarsely ground semolina or spelt or use chestnut flour.
>
> --
> http://www.judithgreenwood.com

noun: milled product of durum wheat (or other hard wheat) used in pasta
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Giusi" > wrote in message
>> "Dave" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> ps.com...
>> . One in particular is Polenta, having
>>> grown up Italian...
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
>>> fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
>>> substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???
>>>
>>> Dave

>> Before there was corn, there was polenta of wheat and chestnuts. Try
>> coarsely ground semolina or spelt or use chestnut flour.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.judithgreenwood.com

> noun: milled product of durum wheat (or other hard wheat) used in pasta
> Dee Dee

That's an American definition. Semolina here is a coarse grind and can be
various. You can buy it in the US and I have in the past. Ordinary grocery
store, I'm sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:33:35 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"Arri London" > wrote in message
>

>> Barley, rye and oats can also be served up like polenta.

>All contain gluten unless you buy gluten free oats.

But the OP said that he can eat all of the above with no
ill-effects... he said he MIGHT be celiac, not he knew he WAS. While
they have gluten, they're not a problem for him.

To the OP, if what causes you distress but the other grains don't, you
might be sensitive to the wheat protein rather than the gluten...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> "Dee Dee" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> "Giusi" > wrote in message
>>> "Dave" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> ps.com...
>>> . One in particular is Polenta, having

>>> Before there was corn, there was polenta of wheat and chestnuts. Try
>>> coarsely ground semolina or spelt or use chestnut flour.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.judithgreenwood.com

>> noun: milled product of durum wheat (or other hard wheat) used in pasta
>> Dee Dee

> That's an American definition. Semolina here is a coarse grind and can be
> various. You can buy it in the US and I have in the past. Ordinary
> grocery store, I'm sure.

Coarse ground what? i.e., wheat, corn?
IOW what does the coarsely ground semolina in Italy consist of; what is it
ground from?
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Barley, rye and oats can also be served up like polenta.
>
> For thickening you can use arrowroot.

I actually prefer potato starch to corn starch (aside from allergy issues.)

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:33:35 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Arri London" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Barley, rye and oats can also be served up like polenta.

>> All contain gluten unless you buy gluten free oats.

> But the OP said that he can eat all of the above with no
> ill-effects... he said he MIGHT be celiac, not he knew he WAS. While
> they have gluten, they're not a problem for him.
>
> To the OP, if what causes you distress but the other grains don't, you
> might be sensitive to the wheat protein rather than the gluten...

Yeah, it's something like that. I used to eat fresh fre3nch bread like a
hog, and it would get to me. Now, after staying mostly clean for a year
or so, I can eat small amounts of wheat with no ill effects. Lots
(although not unlimited) of spelt, so I didn't have to entirely give up
on good bread, I just had to learn to bake it!

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Dave" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> ps.com...
> . One in particular is Polenta, having
>> grown up Italian...
>>
>> Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
>> fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
>> substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???
>>
>> Dave

> Before there was corn, there was polenta of wheat and chestnuts. Try
> coarsely ground semolina or spelt or use chestnut flour.

So I've discovered, while trying to research this!
Pulentum is far older than New World maize.
Now, I do see "buckwheat polenta" becoming trendy, but all the meak I
find is just yellow corn with a bit of buckwheat added for accent, not
the oure thing. I wondered about chestnut meal; grind dried chestnuts?
Might be worth a try. And acorns, roasted a bit!
For now, I'm going to start with cracked rice, and see how it goes...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Coarse ground what? i.e., wheat, corn?
> IOW what does the coarsely ground semolina in Italy consist of; what is it
> ground from?
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Normally wheat, but the word isn't on a package like it is in the UK and US.
It describes a grind. UKers make it into a pudding that apparently no one
likes.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Bell > wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
> > "Dave" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > ps.com...
> > . One in particular is Polenta, having
> >> grown up Italian...
> >>
> >> Can anyone suggest another grain that I could cook up in a similar
> >> fashion? Suitably seasoned and served, maybe almost acceptable as a
> >> substitute? Qinoa? Millet? Teff? ???
> >>
> >> Dave

> > Before there was corn, there was polenta of wheat and chestnuts. Try
> > coarsely ground semolina or spelt or use chestnut flour.
> >

> So I've discovered, while trying to research this!
> Pulentum is far older than New World maize.
> Now, I do see "buckwheat polenta" becoming trendy, but all the meak I
> find is just yellow corn with a bit of buckwheat added for accent, not
> the oure thing. I wondered about chestnut meal; grind dried chestnuts?
> Might be worth a try. And acorns, roasted a bit!

Acorns were a staple food in some parts. They need to be processed
before consumption to reduce the tannins, but I don't have the details o
how.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
>

> > Barley, rye and oats can also be served up like polenta.

> All contain gluten unless you buy gluten free oats.

The OP's problem isn't gluten as such apparently.

> > For thickening you can use arrowroot.

> I think sweet rice flour works better.

Can't say but doesn't it add it's own flavour? Potato starch should work
as should tapioca flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bell wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
>
> > Barley, rye and oats can also be served up like polenta.
> >
> > For thickening you can use arrowroot.

> I actually prefer potato starch to corn starch (aside from allergy issues.)
>
> Dave

That too. Could try tapioca starch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "Dee Dee" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Coarse ground what? i.e., wheat, corn?
> > IOW what does the coarsely ground semolina in Italy consist of; what is it
> > ground from?
> > Thanks.
> > Dee Dee

> Normally wheat, but the word isn't on a package like it is in the UK and US.
> It describes a grind. UKers make it into a pudding that apparently no one
> likes.
> --
> http://www.judithgreenwood.com

LOL hey I like semolina pudding. The school version however is vastly
overcooked and ordinarily like concrete. Sort of like the rice pudding I
remember from the US schools I attended LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:

> In article >,
> Dave Bell > wrote:
>
> > Giusi wrote:
> > > "Dave" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > > ps.com...
> > > . One in particular is Polenta, having

> > > Before there was corn, there was polenta of wheat and chestnuts. Try
> > > coarsely ground semolina or spelt or use chestnut flour.
> > >

> > So I've discovered, while trying to research this!
> > Pulentum is far older than New World maize.
> > Now, I do see "buckwheat polenta" becoming trendy, but all the meak I
> > find is just yellow corn with a bit of buckwheat added for accent, not
> > the oure thing. I wondered about chestnut meal; grind dried chestnuts?
> > Might be worth a try. And acorns, roasted a bit!

> Acorns were a staple food in some parts. They need to be processed
> before consumption to reduce the tannins, but I don't have the details o
> how.
>
> Miche

Think acorns just need to be soaked in several changes in water before
cooking.