Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default boiled potatoes in slow cooker?

I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns
up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled potatoes
2) Recipes for dishes which _include_ boiled potatoes -- and it seems
at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then add them.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
ouse.com...
>I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns

How would you bring anything in a slow cooker to a boil?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
ouse.com...
>I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns
> up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled potatoes
> 2) Recipes for dishes which _include_ boiled potatoes -- and it seems
> at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then add them.
> Dan Goodman

Why do you want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker? What is the source of
this idea?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds red potatoes, diced with peel
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup milk, or as needed

DIRECTIONS
Place the potatoes, water, and butter into a slow cooker. Season with salt,
garlic powder, and pepper. Cover, and cook on Low for 7 hours, or High for 4
hours.
Mash potatoes with a masher or electric beater, adding the desired amount of
milk to achieve a creamy consistency. Keep warm on low until serving.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Co...es/Detail.aspx

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
ouse.com...
>I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns
> up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled potatoes
> 2) Recipes for dishes which _include_ boiled potatoes -- and it seems
> at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then add them.
>
> --
> Dan Goodman
> "You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
> Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
> if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
> Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
> Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
> mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
> Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
> ouse.com...
> > I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes
> > turns up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled
> > potatoes 2) Recipes for dishes which include boiled potatoes -- and
> > it seems at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then
> > add them. Dan Goodman

> Why do you want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker? What is the source
> of this idea?

I really don't see why that matters.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
>
> INGREDIENTS
> 2 pounds red potatoes, diced with peel
> 1/4 cup water
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
> 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
> 1/2 cup milk, or as needed
>
> DIRECTIONS
> Place the potatoes, water, and butter into a slow cooker. Season with
> salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Cover, and cook on Low for 7 hours,
> or High for 4 hours. Mash potatoes with a masher or electric beater,
> adding the desired amount of milk to achieve a creamy consistency.
> Keep warm on low until serving.
>
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Co...otatoes/Detail
> .aspx

Thanks!

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
ouse.com...
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>> ouse.com...
>> > I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes
>> > turns up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled
>> > potatoes 2) Recipes for dishes which include boiled potatoes -- and
>> > it seems at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then
>> > add them. Dan Goodman

>> Why do you want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker? What is the source
>> of this idea?

> I really don't see why that matters.

He can't properly psychoanalyze you if you won't answer the questions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Goodman wrote:
> I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns
> up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled potatoes
> 2) Recipes for dishes which _include_ boiled potatoes -- and it seems
> at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then add them.

I've never heard of it but I don't see why it couldn't be done. Would take
a terribly long time, though, even with the slow cooker set to High.
Probably more efficient to just boil them in a pan on the stove. Definitely
faster!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in news:46e737a7$0$53629$804603d3
@auth.newsreader.iphouse.com:

> I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker.

Then do so.
Is it required that you are informed to:
put the potatoes in the slow cooker,
add water then turn it on?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
> ouse.com...
>>I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns

> How would you bring anything in a slow cooker to a boil?

I don't think you can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Dan Goodman wrote:
>> I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns
>> up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled potatoes
>> 2) Recipes for dishes which _include_ boiled potatoes -- and it seems
>> at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then add them.

> I've never heard of it but I don't see why it couldn't be done. Would
> take
> a terribly long time, though, even with the slow cooker set to High.
> Probably more efficient to just boil them in a pan on the stove.
> Definitely
> faster!

I've done potatoes in the slow cooker, but they weren't boiled. More like
steamed. Simply put them in, cut into chunks if not baby potatoes. Add a
small amount of broth or water, some butter or olive oil, salt, pepper and a
bit of parsley. They come out very nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Dan Goodman wrote:
> > I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes
> > turns up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled
> > potatoes 2) Recipes for dishes which include boiled potatoes -- and
> > it seems at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then
> > add them.

> I've never heard of it but I don't see why it couldn't be done.
> Would take a terribly long time, though, even with the slow cooker
> set to High. Probably more efficient to just boil them in a pan on
> the stove. Definitely faster!

However, a slow cooker is safer to leave unwatched.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > Dan Goodman wrote:
> > > I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes
> > > turns up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled
> > > potatoes 2) Recipes for dishes which include boiled potatoes --
> > > and it seems at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and
> > > then add them.

> > I've never heard of it but I don't see why it couldn't be done.
> > Would take a terribly long time, though, even with the slow cooker
> > set to High. Probably more efficient to just boil them in a pan on
> > the stove. Definitely faster!

> I've done potatoes in the slow cooker, but they weren't boiled. More
> like steamed. Simply put them in, cut into chunks if not baby
> potatoes. Add a small amount of broth or water, some butter or olive
> oil, salt, pepper and a bit of parsley. They come out very nice.

Thanks!

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in
> news:46e737a7$0$53629$804603d3 @auth.newsreader.iphouse.com:
>
> > I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker.

> Then do so.
> Is it required that you are informed to:
> put the potatoes in the slow cooker,
> add water then turn it on?

And how long does it need to be cooked?

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
ouse.com...
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>> ouse.com...
>> > I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes
>> > turns up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled
>> > potatoes 2) Recipes for dishes which include boiled potatoes -- and
>> > it seems at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then
>> > add them. Dan Goodman

>> Why do you want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker? What is the source
>> of this idea?

> I really don't see why that matters.
> Dan Goodman

It matters because a slow cooker is harder to clean than a simple pot with a
lid. Unless you do not have a stove on which you can heat a pot, there is no
sane reason to use a slow cooker to boil potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in news:46e769bd$0$53630$804603d3
@auth.newsreader.iphouse.com:

> And how long does it need to be cooked?

untill the potatoes are done....depending on size the potatoes are cut into
and heat setting anywhere between 4 and 7 hours.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>> ouse.com...
>>>I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns

>> How would you bring anything in a slow cooker to a boil?

> I don't think you can.

I've read in the reviews of the new slow cookers that they are all very hot.
I bought a new one a year or so ago. It always boils on high. When I turn
it to slow/low, it simmers. This is the oval shaped cooker. The old one
was really in the shape of a cylinder. I used it a lot and still have it,
but it is small in comparison.

The new one at the higher temperature does a boat-load of meat just as well
and faster and just as tender.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 8:49?pm, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
> I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns
> up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled potatoes
> 2) Recipes for dishes which _include_ boiled potatoes -- and it seems
> at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then add them.

Any slow cooker recipe for stew that contains potatoes will work, just
omit all the other ingredients.

http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/recipe...ner65557.shtml

But if all you want is boiled spuds it seems rather dimwitted to use a
slow cooker when it takes only 10 minutes to bring a big potful of
water containing five pounds of potatoes to the boil and 15 minutes
more simmering time for cooking. Always start root vegetable in cold
water so they cook evenly, otherwise if dumped into boiling water the
exteriors will become way past done into falling apart before the
middles are cooked.

I strongly suspect that unless you're right there over a period of
several hours to constantly check doneness cooking plain potatoes in a
slow cooker will result in raw or sludge.... even by conventional
stove top cooking the window from not quite done to mush is small.

How much potatoes are you wanting to cook and for what purpose? I
don't think it's possible to prepare potatoes in a slow cooker to a
proper degree of doneness for any other purpose but stews/soups.

I've tried various dishes in my slow cooker, especially stews/soups
and pot roasts... the only thing it can prepare satisfactorilly is
steel cut oats... and that is all I use mine for now... and even so
the slow cooker doesn't do nearly as good a job as by the stove top
method where I'd need to constantly stir for better than an hour.
Since the slow cooker goes all night for steel cut oats with no
stirring it really does not produce a proper consistancy, but it's a
good trade off in effort and having it ready first thing in the
morning for passibly satisfactorilly... even after a lot of
experimenting with cooking time and ratio of water to oats at best the
consistancy produced is more of a gruel with a 1/4" of rhino skin
adhering to the insert surface. Five minutes stirring briskly with a
wooden spoon and I can incorporate the skin with the gruel but it's
still more watery than I'd prefer. Using less water results in
thicker tougher skin, and that cannot be incorporated by stirring.
Oatmeal really needs to be stired, steel cut oats especially. I think
a properly designed slow cooker must have a stirring mechanism built
in, otherwise regardless what dish is cooked the results will be
rather shabby... but those with TIAD probably aren't concerned nor do
they even notice.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Goodman wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Dan Goodman wrote:
>>> I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes
>>> turns up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled
>>> potatoes 2) Recipes for dishes which include boiled potatoes -- and
>>> it seems at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then
>>> add them.

>> I've never heard of it but I don't see why it couldn't be done.
>> Would take a terribly long time, though, even with the slow cooker
>> set to High. Probably more efficient to just boil them in a pan on
>> the stove. Definitely faster!

> However, a slow cooker is safer to leave unwatched.

Good point I don't think your original post mentioned you wanted to cook
them "unattended". In that case, try Julie's suggestion!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 12:21?pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Dan Goodman wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> I've never heard of it but I don't see why it couldn't be done.
> >> Would take a terribly long time, though, even with the slow cooker
> >> set to High. Probably more efficient to just boil them in a pan on
> >> the stove. Definitely faster!

> > However, a slow cooker is safer to leave unwatched.

> Good point I don't think your original post mentioned you wanted to cook
> them "unattended". In that case, try Julie's suggestion!

That's not true for potatoes no matter how they're cooked, unattended
they're very likely to become mush, actually they'll probably
disintergrate and all you'll end up with is thin library paste. No,
you won't burn your house down so it will be safe, but all you'll
accomplish is having a bigger clean up, a waste of electricity, and
need to eat at the fast food dive down the road.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Goodman wrote:

> However, a slow cooker is safer to leave unwatched.

Slow cookers can come in handy. When I am in the mood for grits, I will
cook them overnight in a slow cooker. I have never cooked potatoes, though.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
ouse.com...
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Dan Goodman wrote:
>> > I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes
>> > turns up: 1) Recipes for stuff which can be served with boiled
>> > potatoes 2) Recipes for dishes which include boiled potatoes -- and
>> > it seems at least half of them say to boil the potatoes and then
>> > add them.

>> I've never heard of it but I don't see why it couldn't be done.
>> Would take a terribly long time, though, even with the slow cooker
>> set to High. Probably more efficient to just boil them in a pan on
>> the stove. Definitely faster!

> However, a slow cooker is safer to leave unwatched.
> Dan Goodman

Never use an appliance to compensate for carelessness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>> ouse.com...
>>> I want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker. Googling for recipes turns

>> How would you bring anything in a slow cooker to a boil?

> I don't think you can.

I'll bet a 4 or 5 days on high might do it provided you didn't open the
lid...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>>> ouse.com...
>>> How would you bring anything in a slow cooker to a boil?

>> I don't think you can.

> I've read in the reviews of the new slow cookers that they are all very hot.
> I bought a new one a year or so ago. It always boils on high. When I turn
> it to slow/low, it simmers. This is the oval shaped cooker. The old one
> was really in the shape of a cylinder. I used it a lot and still have it,
> but it is small in comparison.
>
> The new one at the higher temperature does a boat-load of meat just as well
> and faster and just as tender.
> Dee Dee

Thats the problem with the new ones. They break the the put stuff in
before you leave for work and have it done when you come home method.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>>> ouse.com...
>>>
>>> How would you bring anything in a slow cooker to a boil?

>> I don't think you can.

> I've read in the reviews of the new slow cookers that they are all very
> hot. I bought a new one a year or so ago. It always boils on high. When
> I turn it to slow/low, it simmers. This is the oval shaped cooker. The
> old one was really in the shape of a cylinder. I used it a lot and still
> have it, but it is small in comparison.
>
> The new one at the higher temperature does a boat-load of meat just as
> well and faster and just as tender.

Ah, that could be. My newest one is a few years old. I think the best it
will do is simmer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> That's not true for potatoes no matter how they're cooked, unattended
> they're very likely to become mush, actually they'll probably
> disintergrate and all you'll end up with is thin library paste. No,
> you won't burn your house down so it will be safe, but all you'll
> accomplish is having a bigger clean up, a waste of electricity, and
> need to eat at the fast food dive down the road.

I've done them in the slow cooker many times. In this house when I make a
pot roast, so much meat gets eaten, I need a separate pot to do the potatoes
in. I do them on high for an hour or two and then turn it down to low. I
start them around breakfast time. They are done by dinner time. Not mushy.
Works best with whole potatoes I think. Small ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>I've done them in the slow cooker many times. In this house when I make a
>pot roast, so much meat gets eaten, I need a separate pot to do the potatoes
>in. I do them on high for an hour or two and then turn it down to low. I
>start them around breakfast time. They are done by dinner time. Not mushy.
>Works best with whole potatoes I think. Small ones.

Interesting. If I boil potatoes, I cook them for seven minutes
(after cutting them into about one-inch chunks), and they are
always done. But if I'm baking a potato, I find it difficult
to overcook them -- they can go for an hour or more, and at
nearly any temperature.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>>I've done them in the slow cooker many times. In this house when I make a
>>pot roast, so much meat gets eaten, I need a separate pot to do the
>>potatoes
>>in. I do them on high for an hour or two and then turn it down to low. I
>>start them around breakfast time. They are done by dinner time. Not
>>mushy.
>>Works best with whole potatoes I think. Small ones.

> Interesting. If I boil potatoes, I cook them for seven minutes
> (after cutting them into about one-inch chunks), and they are
> always done. But if I'm baking a potato, I find it difficult
> to overcook them -- they can go for an hour or more, and at
> nearly any temperature.
>
> Steve

My addage: A boiled potato takes 20 minutes. No more, no less.
I don't play favorites. :-)
A baked potato: 1 hr. 15 minutes.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
> ouse.com...
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>>> ouse.com...
>>>

>>> Why do you want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker? What is the source
>>> of this idea?

>> I really don't see why that matters.
>> Dan Goodman

> It matters because a slow cooker is harder to clean than a simple pot with
> a lid. Unless you do not have a stove on which you can heat a pot, there
> is no sane reason to use a slow cooker to boil potatoes.

Could it be possible that his slow cooker has an insert, Doctor?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco's Tacos" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>> ouse.com...

>>> I really don't see why that matters.
>>> Dan Goodman

>> It matters because a slow cooker is harder to clean than a simple pot
>> with a lid. Unless you do not have a stove on which you can heat a pot,
>> there is no sane reason to use a slow cooker to boil potatoes.
>>

> Could it be possible that his slow cooker has an insert, Doctor?

Could be. What's it made of?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Paco's Tacos" > wrote in message
>>
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>>> ouse.com...

>>> It matters because a slow cooker is harder to clean than a simple pot
>>> with a lid. Unless you do not have a stove on which you can heat a pot,
>>> there is no sane reason to use a slow cooker to boil potatoes.
>>>

>> Could it be possible that his slow cooker has an insert, Doctor?

> Could be. What's it made of?

Ah. I shouldn't have joined this "jumping to conclusions" game of yours.
I'm not as well-versed in it as you are. But, I'll pick Door # 3 - a glazed
pottery type crock. How did I do, Monte?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>>I've done them in the slow cooker many times. In this house when I make a
>>pot roast, so much meat gets eaten, I need a separate pot to do the
>>potatoes
>>in. I do them on high for an hour or two and then turn it down to low. I
>>start them around breakfast time. They are done by dinner time. Not
>>mushy.
>>Works best with whole potatoes I think. Small ones.

> Interesting. If I boil potatoes, I cook them for seven minutes
> (after cutting them into about one-inch chunks), and they are
> always done. But if I'm baking a potato, I find it difficult
> to overcook them -- they can go for an hour or more, and at
> nearly any temperature.

I once managed to overcook baked potatoes. I put them in the oven and
forgot about them. I think they were in there for close to 2 hours. They
tasted okay but the skin was a tad tough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Paco's Tacos" > wrote in message

>>> Could it be possible that his slow cooker has an insert, Doctor?

>> Could be. What's it made of?
>>

> Ah. I shouldn't have joined this "jumping to conclusions" game of yours.
> I'm not as well-versed in it as you are. But, I'll pick Door # 3 - a
> glazed pottery type crock. How did I do, Monte?

OK. For me (and only me), glazed pottery cookware has no place in the
kitchen. If you love it, fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 10:07?pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message

> > Julie Bove > wrote:

> >>I've done them in the slow cooker many times. In this house when I make a
> >>pot roast, so much meat gets eaten, I need a separate pot to do the
> >>potatoes
> >>in. I do them on high for an hour or two and then turn it down to low. I
> >>start them around breakfast time. They are done by dinner time. Not
> >>mushy.
> >>Works best with whole potatoes I think. Small ones.

> > Interesting. If I boil potatoes, I cook them for seven minutes
> > (after cutting them into about one-inch chunks), and they are
> > always done. But if I'm baking a potato, I find it difficult
> > to overcook them -- they can go for an hour or more, and at
> > nearly any temperature.

> > Steve

> My addage: A boiled potato takes 20 minutes. No more, no less.
> I don't play favorites. :-)
> A baked potato: 1 hr. 15 minutes.

Gee, a statistician... how many hours for sex? hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>>>I've done them in the slow cooker many times. In this house when I make
>>>pot roast, so much meat gets eaten, I need a separate pot to do the
>>>potatoes
>>>in. I do them on high for an hour or two and then turn it down to low.
>>>start them around breakfast time. They are done by dinner time. Not
>>>mushy.
>>>Works best with whole potatoes I think. Small ones.

>> Interesting. If I boil potatoes, I cook them for seven minutes
>> (after cutting them into about one-inch chunks), and they are
>> always done. But if I'm baking a potato, I find it difficult
>> to overcook them -- they can go for an hour or more, and at
>> nearly any temperature.
>>
>> Steve

> My addage: A boiled potato takes 20 minutes. No more, no less.
> I don't play favorites. :-)

All size of potato take 20 minutes to boil? That's amazing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Paco's Tacos" > wrote in message
>>
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>>> "Paco's Tacos" > wrote in message

>>> Could be. What's it made of?
>>>

>> Ah. I shouldn't have joined this "jumping to conclusions" game of yours.
>> I'm not as well-versed in it as you are. But, I'll pick Door # 3 - a
>> glazed pottery type crock. How did I do, Monte?
>>

> OK. For me (and only me), glazed pottery cookware has no place in the
> kitchen. If you love it, fine.

Okay. And, the "If you love it, fine.", came from...?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Paco's Tacos" > wrote in message

>>> Ah. I shouldn't have joined this "jumping to conclusions" game of
>>> yours. I'm not as well-versed in it as you are. But, I'll pick Door #
>>> 3 - a glazed pottery type crock. How did I do, Monte?
>>>

>> OK. For me (and only me), glazed pottery cookware has no place in the
>> kitchen. If you love it, fine.
>>

> Okay. And, the "If you love it, fine.", came from...?

It was a generic "you". Substitute "one" if you prefer. "If one loves it..."

There have been issues in the past with strange substances in ceramic
finishes from foreign countries, notably China. I believe lead and cadmium
were the issue. That's one reason I won't go near such cookware. A second
reason is that there is simply no functional reason to use such cookware. A
third is durability. If I have to concern myself with chipping a ceramic
coating during normal use, the item ceases to be useful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Paco's Tacos" > wrote in message

>>> OK. For me (and only me), glazed pottery cookware has no place in the
>>> kitchen. If you love it, fine.
>>>

>> Okay. And, the "If you love it, fine.", came from...?
>>

> It was a generic "you". Substitute "one" if you prefer. "If one loves
> it..."
>
> There have been issues in the past with strange substances in ceramic
> finishes from foreign countries, notably China. I believe lead and cadmium
> were the issue. That's one reason I won't go near such cookware. A second
> reason is that there is simply no functional reason to use such cookware.
> A third is durability. If I have to concern myself with chipping a ceramic
> coating during normal use, the item ceases to be useful.

Understood. Regardless of the generic "you", etc. What if I chose Door
#2 - A stainless steel insert?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Paco's Tacos" > wrote in message

>>> Okay. And, the "If you love it, fine.", came from...?
>>>

>> It was a generic "you". Substitute "one" if you prefer. "If one loves
>> it..."
>>
>> There have been issues in the past with strange substances in ceramic
>> finishes from foreign countries, notably China. I believe lead and
>> cadmium were the issue. That's one reason I won't go near such cookware.
>> A second reason is that there is simply no functional reason to use such
>> cookware. A third is durability. If I have to concern myself with
>> chipping a ceramic coating during normal use, the item ceases to be
>> useful.
>>

> Understood. Regardless of the generic "you", etc. What if I chose Door
> #2 - A stainless steel insert?

That was the correct door, and you would go home with a one year supply of
Mrs. Paul's fish sticks and freezer to keep them in. But wait...that's not
all!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
>
> ouse.com...
>

> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> "Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
> phouse.com...

> >> Why do you want to boil potatoes in a slow cooker? What is the source
> >> of this idea?

> > I really don't see why that matters.
> > Dan Goodman

> It matters because a slow cooker is harder to clean than a simple pot with a
> lid.

Nonsense, my slow cooker is a snap to clean, I wish my other pots 'n
pans were as easy to clean...

--
Best
Greg