Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Corn Cassarole (with chiles)

Or how far can you go with someone else's recipe before it's your own?

Corn Casserole
From Fannie Flagg's Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook, as amended by yers truly

yield: 9-12 servings

1 17-ounce can white cream-style corn
1 11-ounce can white shoepeg or whole kern corn, drained
1 8-ounce carton sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup margarine, melted & cooled
1 8&1/2-ounce box corn muffin mix

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine first 5 ingredients, mixing well. Stir in corn
muffin mix. Pour into a greased 12x8x2 inches baking dish and bake for 45
minutes.

Notes:
I use low fat sour cream so I can use real butter and not margarine.
I like a prettier, deeper casserole dish.
I like to use 1 cup or 2 ears corn lightly roasted/toasted instead of the
canned whole corn to add a smoky flavor.
I also add about 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo for a southwestern flair and
a little heat. That's one icecube frozen
Might be nice with a sprinkle of hot or mild paprika on top or stir a little
cumin or powdered chipotle in the dish. This is GREAT with about a half cup
of fresh roasted peeled chopped Hatch chile.
I suppose one could stir in a great many things which makes this one nice,
including leftover chicken or ham or sliced pimentos.
My foodie friends will scorn me and make their own favorite corn bread
recipe. Y'all go ahead on, I was real tired tonight.

Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:00:34 -0600, "The Joneses" >
wrote:

>Or how far can you go with someone else's recipe before it's your own?
>
>Corn Casserole
>From Fannie Flagg's Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook, as amended by yers truly

snip to my lou

>Edrena

I'd say your receipe looks a heck of a lot better, and I'm sure tastes
a heck of a lot better.

I'd re-name it and claim it.

Have you gotten my e-mail? I have your wine chart and need to mail it
to you. Please e-mail me with your address.
Take a P before you e-mail

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/6

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses > wrote in message
t...
[snip]
> Corn Casserole
> 1 11-ounce can white shoepeg or whole
> kern corn, drained

[Snip-O'-Matic employed]

What's "shoepeg" corn?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edrena wrote:
> Or how far can you go with someone else's recipe before it's your own?
>
> Corn Casserole
> From Fannie Flagg's Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook, as amended by yers truly
>
> yield: 9-12 servings
>
> 1 17-ounce can white cream-style corn
> 1 11-ounce can white shoepeg or whole kern corn, drained
> 1 8-ounce carton sour cream
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 1/2 cup margarine, melted & cooled
> 1 8&1/2-ounce box corn muffin mix
>
> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine first 5 ingredients, mixing well. Stir in corn
> muffin mix. Pour into a greased 12x8x2 inches baking dish and bake for 45
> minutes.

> My foodie friends will scorn me and make their own favorite corn bread
> recipe. Y'all go ahead on, I was real tired tonight.

Sounds good to me! I'd probably sprinkle it with some fresh grated
Monterey Jack or mild cheddar before baking

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<koko> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:00:34 -0600, "The Joneses" >
> wrote:
>
>>Or how far can you go with someone else's recipe before it's your own?
>>
>>Corn Casserole
>>From Fannie Flagg's Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook, as amended by yers truly

> snip to my lou
>
>>Edrena

> I'd say your receipe looks a heck of a lot better, and I'm sure tastes
> a heck of a lot better.
>
> I'd re-name it and claim it.
>
> Have you gotten my e-mail? I have your wine chart and need to mail it
> to you. Please e-mail me with your address.
> Take a P before you e-mail
>
> koko

Answered you 2x with my home address, all things being equal look me up in
the white pages.
Edrena, who fondly remembers the dates....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> The Joneses > wrote in message
> t...
> [snip]
>> Corn Casserole
>> 1 11-ounce can white shoepeg or whole
>> kern corn, drained

> [Snip-O'-Matic employed]
>
> What's "shoepeg" corn?
>
> The Ranger

A 1800's era variety of corn where the nib or kernel is longer instead of
fatter. And most often whiter instead of yellower. Doesn't matter for this
dish a whit, use what you got. I like the roasted stuff, but sometimes I
toast frozen corn kernels in a fry pan. Only toasted, not dried up cooked to
pieces.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Edrena wrote:
>> Or how far can you go with someone else's recipe before it's your own?
>>
>> Corn Casserole
>> From Fannie Flagg's Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook, as amended by yers truly
>>
>> yield: 9-12 servings
>>
>> 1 17-ounce can white cream-style corn
>> 1 11-ounce can white shoepeg or whole kern corn, drained
>> 1 8-ounce carton sour cream
>> 2 eggs, beaten
>> 1/2 cup margarine, melted & cooled
>> 1 8&1/2-ounce box corn muffin mix
>>
>> Preheat oven to 350F. Combine first 5 ingredients, mixing well. Stir in
>> corn muffin mix. Pour into a greased 12x8x2 inches baking dish and bake
>> for 45 minutes.

>> My foodie friends will scorn me and make their own favorite corn bread
>> recipe. Y'all go ahead on, I was real tired tonight.

> Sounds good to me! I'd probably sprinkle it with some fresh grated
> Monterey Jack or mild cheddar before baking
>
> gloria p

This stuff is pretty rich already and sweet tasting. This might be a place
where you'd garnish with a light hand. Cheese sounds good, esp. with chiles
of any kind. The DH whooped tonight when he bit into some chiles. He said he
should have expected it!
I had to cook it an extra 15 min - I still have a problem with the
altitude up here.
Edrena, bin living here 25 years already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"The Joneses" > wrote:

> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
> > The Joneses > wrote in message
> > t...
> > [snip]
> >> Corn Casserole
> >> 1 11-ounce can white shoepeg or whole
> >> kern corn, drained

> > [Snip-O'-Matic employed]
> >
> > What's "shoepeg" corn?
> >
> > The Ranger
> >

> A 1800's era variety of corn where the nib or kernel is longer instead of
> fatter. And most often whiter instead of yellower. Doesn't matter for this
> dish a whit, use what you got. I like the roasted stuff, but sometimes I
> toast frozen corn kernels in a fry pan. Only toasted, not dried up cooked to
> pieces.

The variety is so named because the kernels look like shoe pegs --
little wooden fasteners used to attach the soles to shoes "back in the
day".

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote

> "The Joneses" > wrote:
>
>> "The Ranger" > wrote

>> > What's "shoepeg" corn?

>> A 1800's era variety of corn where the nib or kernel is longer instead of
>> fatter. And most often whiter instead of yellower. Doesn't matter for
>> this
>> dish a whit, use what you got. I like the roasted stuff, but sometimes I
>> toast frozen corn kernels in a fry pan. Only toasted, not dried up cooked
>> pieces.

> The variety is so named because the kernels look like shoe pegs --
> little wooden fasteners used to attach the soles to shoes "back in the
> day".

My sil asked me to pick up shoepeg corn for my mil because that
was something she would eat. I asked her to spell it because I had
no idea what she was talking about. Seems it's available in cans,
I don't know if I've seen it anywhere else.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> My sil asked me to pick up shoepeg corn for my mil because that
> was something she would eat. I asked her to spell it because I had
> no idea what she was talking about. Seems it's available in cans,
> I don't know if I've seen it anywhere else.
>
> nancy

I'm pretty sure Green Giant frozen, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
For your listening pleasu http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, koko wrote:

> Take a P before you e-mail
>
> koko

Do you really think we all need to hear that? '-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
For your listening pleasu http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
from the MN State Fair, 8-29-07
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> My sil asked me to pick up shoepeg corn for my mil because that
>> was something she would eat. I asked her to spell it because I had
>> no idea what she was talking about. Seems it's available in cans,
>> I don't know if I've seen it anywhere else.

> I'm pretty sure Green Giant frozen, too.

Ah, I'll look for it, since fresh corn season is winding down.

My sil is in Michigan, sometimes they have stuff that I'd never
heard of, so when she said shoepeg, I said, Shoe? Like the
footwear? At any rate, it seems my inlaws would open a can
whereas frozen bags of vegetables would sit there for months.
Canned it was, whatever got them to eat.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> My sil asked me to pick up shoepeg corn for my mil because that
>> was something she would eat. I asked her to spell it because I had
>> no idea what she was talking about. Seems it's available in cans,
>> I don't know if I've seen it anywhere else.
>>
>> nancy

> I'm pretty sure Green Giant frozen, too.

Yes. I believe Silver Queen (fresh) is a shoepeg variety also.
Shoepeg seems less starchy than the "fatter" corn.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:00:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> My sil asked me to pick up shoepeg corn for my mil because that
>> was something she would eat. I asked her to spell it because I had
>> no idea what she was talking about. Seems it's available in cans,
>> I don't know if I've seen it anywhere else.
>>
>> nancy

>I'm pretty sure Green Giant frozen, too.

do folks here find frozen corn (off the cob) better or tastier than
good-quality canned? i tried some frozen and was not impressed.
maybe i over-cooked?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> do folks here find frozen corn (off the cob) better or tastier than
> good-quality canned? i tried some frozen and was not impressed.
> maybe i over-cooked?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I prefer frozen corn to canned corn any day if those are the two
options? I'm talking niblets or kernels here.

Commercial frozen corn *on* the cob is just disgustingly tough and
tasteless and just not something I buy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 7:00 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> Or how far can you go with someone else's recipe before it's your own?
>
> Corn Casserole

As soon as you write your own directions, it's yours. This recipe,
though, looks to me like a thousand others that use corn bread mix.

I only like the unadultered (no sour cream, no "corn bread mix")
scalloped corn, myself, but your kind has lots of fans, I know.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> do folks here find frozen corn (off the cob) better or tastier than
>> good-quality canned? i tried some frozen and was not impressed.
>> maybe i over-cooked?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I prefer frozen corn to canned corn any day if those are the two options?
> I'm talking niblets or kernels here.
>
> Commercial frozen corn *on* the cob is just disgustingly tough and
> tasteless and just not something I buy.

I find that appearance matters too. I've seen some off-brands, or old name
brands with visible freezer burn. Of course, I'd *never* keep anything that
long, oh no.
I distrust packages where I can't see the stuff inside, but sometimes it
can't be helped. I now know that freezing does not mean suspended animation.
I try to use up w/i 3 months.
Mostly I like frozen over canned, but I keep both just cause I don't trust
the power outages from time to time.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 9, 7:00 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
>> Or how far can you go with someone else's recipe before it's your own?
>>
>> Corn Casserole

> As soon as you write your own directions, it's yours. This recipe,
> though, looks to me like a thousand others that use corn bread mix.
>
> I only like the unadultered (no sour cream, no "corn bread mix")
> scalloped corn, myself, but your kind has lots of fans, I know.
>
> N.

Scalloped corn? Care to post the recipe you like best? There's prob a
million on the web, but I'd rather one that someone has made & liked. I
thought later how nice it might have been to place a nice fresh bay leaf on
the bottom of the casserole dish. Oh well, I'll make it again from time to
time.
Edrena, adventurer in food. A fooventurer? Culinturer? Adinfooder?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:01:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, koko wrote:
>
>> Take a P before you e-mail
>>
>> koko

>Do you really think we all need to hear that? '-)

That's what you get for not reading the newsgroup with your eyes
closed. ;-)

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/6

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> do folks here find frozen corn (off the cob) better or tastier than
> good-quality canned? i tried some frozen and was not impressed.
> maybe i over-cooked?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I wonder if that's because canned often has sugar added; frozen is just
corn.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
For your listening pleasu http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
from the MN State Fair, 8-29-07

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 6:24 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> On Sep 9, 7:00 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> >> Or how far can you go with someone else's recipe before it's your own?

> >> Corn Casserole

> > As soon as you write your own directions, it's yours. This recipe,
> > though, looks to me like a thousand others that use corn bread mix.

> > I only like the unadultered (no sour cream, no "corn bread mix")
> > scalloped corn, myself, but your kind has lots of fans, I know.

> > N.

> Scalloped corn? Care to post the recipe you like best? There's prob a
> million on the web, but I'd rather one that someone has made & liked. I
> thought later how nice it might have been to place a nice fresh bay leaf on
> the bottom of the casserole dish. Oh well, I'll make it again from time to
> time.
> Edrena, adventurer in food. A fooventurer? Culinturer? Adinfooder?

Pretty simple:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 6:24 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> On Sep 9, 7:00 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> >> Or how far can you go with someone else's recipe before it's your own?

> >> Corn Casserole

> > As soon as you write your own directions, it's yours. This recipe,
> > though, looks to me like a thousand others that use corn bread mix.

> > I only like the unadultered (no sour cream, no "corn bread mix")
> > scalloped corn, myself, but your kind has lots of fans, I know.

> > N.

> Scalloped corn? Care to post the recipe you like best? There's prob a
> million on the web, but I'd rather one that someone has made & liked. I
> thought later how nice it might have been to place a nice fresh bay leaf on
> the bottom of the casserole dish. Oh well, I'll make it again from time to
> time.
> Edrena, adventurer in food. A fooventurer? Culinturer? Adinfooder?

Pretty simple:

1 can drained whole-kernel corn
1 can (undrained) cream-style corn
2 1/2 C. very finely crushed Saltine (soda) crackers, divided
2 XL or Jumbo eggs, beaten
2 C. milk (I use skim, but you could use 2% or whole)
2 small onion, finely diced
2 T. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Small amount of salt (the crackers will give it salt)
Pepper to taste - about 1/2 tsp.

Generously butter a 2-quart oven-proof casserole. Melt about 3 T.
butter in a small saute pan over low heat, and stir in 1/2 C. crumbs.
Stir the crumbs around with a fork until they are coated and starting
to get hot. Remove from heat. Heat the corn, milk and seasonings in
a large saucepan, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. When the
mixture is very hot (but not simmering or boiling), remove the pan
from the heat, and quickly mix in the 2 beaten eggs and 2 C. cracker
crumbs.
Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle the buttered
1/2 C. crumbs over the top. Heat at 350 deg. for 30 minutes, and
serve immediately.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:00:13 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> do folks here find frozen corn (off the cob) better or tastier than
>> good-quality canned? i tried some frozen and was not impressed.
>> maybe i over-cooked?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I prefer frozen corn to canned corn any day if those are the two
>options? I'm talking niblets or kernels here.
>
>Commercial frozen corn *on* the cob is just disgustingly tough and
>tasteless and just not something I buy.

yeah, that's what i'm talking about. frozen on the cob just seems so
outlandish i've never tried it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:45:50 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> do folks here find frozen corn (off the cob) better or tastier than
>> good-quality canned? i tried some frozen and was not impressed.
>> maybe i over-cooked?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I wonder if that's because canned often has sugar added; frozen is just
>corn.

that might be. i usually buy the green giant niblets and add some
butter, salt and pepper, or if i'm feeling wild and crazy, some
worcestershire. sugar would add to the illusion of freshness.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 10, 6:24 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...> On Sep 9,

>> > As soon as you write your own directions, it's yours. This recipe,
>> > though, looks to me like a thousand others that use corn bread mix.

>> > I only like the unadultered (no sour cream, no "corn bread mix")
>> > scalloped corn, myself, but your kind has lots of fans, I know.

>> > N.

>> Scalloped corn? Care to post the recipe you like best? There's prob a
>> million on the web, but I'd rather one that someone has made & liked. I
>> thought later how nice it might have been to place a nice fresh bay leaf
>> on
>> the bottom of the casserole dish. Oh well, I'll make it again from time
>> time.
>> Edrena, adventurer in food. A fooventurer? Culinturer? Adinfooder?

> Pretty simple:
>
> 1 can drained whole-kernel corn
> 1 can (undrained) cream-style corn
> 2 1/2 C. very finely crushed Saltine (soda) crackers, divided
> 2 XL or Jumbo eggs, beaten
> 2 C. milk (I use skim, but you could use 2% or whole)
> 2 small onion, finely diced
> 2 T. parsley flakes
> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
> Small amount of salt (the crackers will give it salt)
> Pepper to taste - about 1/2 tsp.
>
> Generously butter a 2-quart oven-proof casserole. Melt about 3 T.
> butter in a small saute pan over low heat, and stir in 1/2 C. crumbs.
> (clipped )
> N.

Let's go whole hog and saute them crackers in bacon. Mmmm good. Thanks for
the recipe!

Edrena