Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default help--what to do with tomatoes

I have a box of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. Most are 1/2 ripe
Has anyone any recipes or suggestions so I don't let them go to waste?
Thanks
Wayne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote:
> I have a box of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. Most are 1/2 ripe
> Has anyone any recipes or suggestions so I don't let them go to waste?
> Thanks
> Wayne

One thing I have done in the past is to let them ripen, then wash and
core them. You can then freeze them, and transfer to plastic bags for
long-term storage. When you need tomatoes for sauces, or salsa, and the
like, you can just take what you need from the freezer and plop them
into the pot. Not quite as good as fresh, but they are still tasty this
way, and they won't go to waste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne" > wrote in message
>I have a box of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. Most are 1/2 ripe
> Has anyone any recipes or suggestions so I don't let them go to waste?
> Thanks
> Wayne

Fresh salsa can use up a lot of them and you still get to enjoy the fresh
taste. I posted a recipe for Sicilian Sfincone (pizza) within the last
couple of weeks to this newsgroup. Also, soup is good. Add the tomatoes to
whatever you like in a soup or start with the broad idea of chili and work
with the tomatoes. Tomatoes cut in chunks, sliced onions, chopped garlic,
s&p, basalmic vinegar(or red wine vinegar), basil and oil makes a nice
salad. Tomatoes, zucchini, onions, garlic and basil stewed together makes a
nice side dish. Top macaroni and cheese or a quiche/frittata with fresh
tomatoes before baking. Tomatoes on toast for breakfast, Blt's. HTH
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have no idea what to do with half-ripe tomatoes. They will
not ripen off the vine.

The ripe ones you can just freeze until use.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 11:58:41 -0400, "Wayne" >
wrote:

>I have a box of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. Most are 1/2 ripe
>Has anyone any recipes or suggestions so I don't let them go to waste?
>Thanks
>Wayne

Panzanella
Tomato pie
A side dish with eggplants, tomatoes and yogurt (Afghan style)
Stuffed tomatoes (with meat and/or rice)
You can let them ripen, and if you have a convection oven , make dried
tomatoes
Tomato sauce
Caprese (tomatoes, mozzarella and basil)

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>I have no idea what to do with half-ripe tomatoes. They will
> not ripen off the vine.

Well, I don't know why they won't ripen off the vine. Here in Montana where
the frost comes very early I've put green tomatos in Pringle's potato crisp
tubes and closed the end with the plastic cap. Then just stood them up on
the counter-top. Every few days I shake the green tomato's out and put the
one's that are getting ripe back into the tube last. The cardboard tube
seems to hold the gases escaping from the ripening tomatos, encouracing the
un-ripe ones to get with the program.

<grin>

Good luck.

MJB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MJB wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>
>>I have no idea what to do with half-ripe tomatoes. They will
>>not ripen off the vine.
>>

> Well, I don't know why they won't ripen off the vine. Here in Montana where
> the frost comes very early I've put green tomatos in Pringle's potato crisp
> tubes and closed the end with the plastic cap. Then just stood them up on
> the counter-top. Every few days I shake the green tomato's out and put the
> one's that are getting ripe back into the tube last. The cardboard tube
> seems to hold the gases escaping from the ripening tomatos, encouracing the
> un-ripe ones to get with the program.
>
> <grin>
>
> Good luck.
>
> MJB

http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/...ion/BJ763.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MJB" > wrote in message

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>>I have no idea what to do with half-ripe tomatoes. They will
>> not ripen off the vine.
>>

> Well, I don't know why they won't ripen off the vine. Here in Montana
> where the frost comes very early I've put green tomatos in Pringle's
> potato crisp tubes and closed the end with the plastic cap. Then just
> stood them up on the counter-top. Every few days I shake the green
> tomato's out and put the one's that are getting ripe back into the tube
> last. The cardboard tube seems to hold the gases escaping from the
> ripening tomatos, encouracing the un-ripe ones to get with the program.
>
> <grin>
>
> Good luck.
>
> MJB

A few weeks ago at our local farmers' market I bought an organic tomato
(med-large), it was green. I was going to fry it. Before I got around to
doing this, it had turned mostly pink and was beautifully ripe inside.

I can't recall that ever happening.
Good tomato,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne > wrote:

> I have a box of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. Most are 1/2 ripe
> Has anyone any recipes or suggestions so I don't let them go to waste?

Let them ripen and make gazpacho, pappa col pomodoro, creamed tomatoes
on toast, various tomato-based sauces for pasta, or eat them 'as is'.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I have a box of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. Most are 1/2 ripe
>Has anyone any recipes or suggestions so I don't let them go to waste?
>Thanks

In addition to the wonderful ideas already posted in this thread --

Simply slice and salt your ripe tomatoes for a side dish or snack

Tomato sandwiches

Tomato and cucumber salad

Stuff tomatoes with chicken or tuna salad

Ratatouille

I have become addicted to this salad. I leave out the egg and double
the tomato:
(Paula Deen's Georgia Cracker salad)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._21607,00.html

You can fry the half ripe and green tomatoes.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne > wrote:
>I have a box of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. Most are 1/2 ripe
>Has anyone any recipes or suggestions so I don't let them go to waste?

Can them. Tomatoes can great.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 02:39:17 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>Wayne > wrote:
>>I have a box of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. Most are 1/2 ripe
>>Has anyone any recipes or suggestions so I don't let them go to waste?

>Can them. Tomatoes can great.
>
> --Blair

The Minimalist - Bittman on the NY Times site has a recipe for tomato
paella that is quite easy.

Scroll down:

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/dining/index.html

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne asked:

> I have a box of tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. Most are 1/2 ripe
> Has anyone any recipes or suggestions so I don't let them go to waste?

Half-Dried Tomato Tapenade

Romesco Sauce

Tomato Water (blend tomatoes, then filter through a coffee filter)

Gazpacho

Bruschetta with Tomatoes

BLT's -- when tomatoes are at their best, there's nothing better to do with
them, especially if you can make your own mayonnaise.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:09:44 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Some people <gasp!> put their tomatoes in the fridge...no wonder they
>can't figure out why they're so tasteless? Ugh!

Yup, a mortal sin indeed (against tomatoes). They become mealy and
bland.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Tomatoes anyone? Ian Field Diabetic 19 18-10-2014 09:07 PM
Tomatoes in oi Ophelia[_11_] Preserving 2 31-08-2014 07:10 PM
McD and Tomatoes? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 47 11-06-2007 06:50 PM
Crushed tomatoes/whole canned tomatoes biig General Cooking 22 19-01-2007 06:37 PM
For the Guy With Extra Cherry Tomatoes - Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes ~patches~ General Cooking 5 23-08-2005 08:55 PM