Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.movies.david-lynch

Default Quinoa

The filmmaker David Lynch made a DVD short about cooking quinoa. I
had never heard of it before. Is it very popular in the US? Is it
true that it's very good for protein?

He made it with broccoli and some veg boullion. It's on the Inland
Empire DVD.

For Lynch fans: Was that Lynch's own kitchen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Richard Fangnail > wrote:

>The filmmaker David Lynch made a DVD short about cooking quinoa. I
>had never heard of it before. Is it very popular in the US? Is it
>true that it's very good for protein?

It is about 19% protein calories, making it a better protein source
than most grains (hard wheat being around 15%, corn and rice
well under 10%), but below that of typical beans/legumes which
run about 30% protein calories.

It's also one of only three common vegetable sources of complete
protein, that other two being soy and hemp. This fact
may not matter much if there are other sources of protein in
your diet.

It is reasonably popular among vegetarians and the health conscious.
But it costs quite a bit more than couscous, bulgar wheat, etc.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.movies.david-lynch

"Richard Fangnail" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The filmmaker David Lynch made a DVD short about cooking quinoa. I
> had never heard of it before. Is it very popular in the US? Is it
> true that it's very good for protein?
>
> He made it with broccoli and some veg boullion. It's on the Inland
> Empire DVD.
>
> For Lynch fans: Was that Lynch's own kitchen?

It seems to be getting more popular but still not something everyone has
heard of. Some of it can taste bitter after cooking if it isn't rinsed.
I've made it a few times as a pilaf with some vegetables and chicken broth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.movies.david-lynch

I use it a lot. I love it. Very mild flavor that I can use as an
ammendment of lots of differrent things.

Quinoa Omni in Atlanta Vegetarian cooking 6 29-12-2006 05:16 PM
Quinoa (again) TammyM General Cooking 4 02-12-2006 08:32 PM
Quinoa? Andy General Cooking 11 15-11-2006 04:56 AM
Quinoa Jarkat2002 General Cooking 10 20-12-2003 07:18 PM