Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2007-09-02) New survey on the RFC site: Fun survey:You say / I saytomato...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now! (or not)

Thanks go to Andy for this one.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:54:54 +0200:

C> Vote now! (or not)

C> Thanks go to Andy for this one.

I guess I was first but I've won before :-) When I first came to
the US I quickly learned in a Cornell University cafeteria that,
if I wanted to get it on my hamburger, it was called tomayto! On
the other hand, didn't the quintessential New Englander, Julia
Child, say tomahto?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
>
> Thanks go to Andy for this one.

AnneDee, figgers.. neither of those pronunciations are DICTIONary
acceptible. The 'to' is pronounced 'tuh' or 'teh' (t&)... no O sound.

http://merriamwebster.com/dictionary/tomato

Sheldon Tuhmaydo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon said...

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)
>>
>> Thanks go to Andy for this one.

> AnneDee, figgers.. neither of those pronunciations are DICTIONary
> acceptible. The 'to' is pronounced 'tuh' or 'teh' (t&)... no O sound.
>
> http://merriamwebster.com/dictionary/tomato
>
> Sheldon Tuhmaydo

Oh a wiseguy, eh?

If ya'd given me the dictionary font, I mighta gotten it right.

And no tuhmaydo lazy tougue BS, ya BUM!!!

aNDY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

Thanks!!!

Great bit! No computer special effects!

I should've included a 2nd multi-part "must click" "Let's call the whole
thing off"

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> ChattyCathy wrote on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:54:54 +0200:
>
> C> Vote now! (or not)
>
> C> Thanks go to Andy for this one.
>
> I guess I was first but I've won before :-) When I first came to the US I
> quickly learned in a Cornell University cafeteria that, if I wanted to get
> it on my hamburger, it was called tomayto! On the other hand, didn't the
> quintessential New Englander, Julia Child, say tomahto?
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Julia was b. in CA. Went to Smith. I don't know where she spent her
growing-up time.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

That was cute. :-)

But, like most typos on Usenet, I ignore such things for the sake of
peace...

Dad always gets on me for the use of the word "got". <G>

I just say "Yes Dear".
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message news:OpzCi.4817$3R5.3755@trnddc05...
>> ChattyCathy wrote on Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:54:54 +0200:
>>
>> C> Vote now! (or not)
>>
>> C> Thanks go to Andy for this one.
>>
>> I guess I was first but I've won before :-) When I first came
>> to the US I quickly learned in a Cornell University cafeteria
>> that, if I wanted to get it on my hamburger, it was called
>> tomayto! On the other hand, didn't the quintessential New
>> Englander, Julia Child, say tomahto?
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland

> Julia was b. in CA. Went to Smith. I don't know where she
> spent her growing-up time.
> Dee Dee

As I recall, you are quite correct but it certainly seems that
Smith really took! My own accent and intonation dates from
college days (not Cornell) I'll admit tho' I don't get much
chance to check it.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> That was cute. :-)
>
> But, like most typos on Usenet, I ignore such things for the sake of
> peace...
>
> Dad always gets on me for the use of the word "got". <G>
>
> I just say "Yes Dear".

Do you use 'got' instead of 'gotten' ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > ChattyCathy > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> Chatty Cathy

> > That was cute. :-)
> >
> > But, like most typos on Usenet, I ignore such things for the sake of
> > peace...
> >
> > Dad always gets on me for the use of the word "got". <G>
> >
> > I just say "Yes Dear".

> Do you use 'got' instead of 'gotten' ?

The argument generally starts over simple statements like "I have got to
get some sleep because it's getting late and I have to work tonight".
Stuff like that.

He dislikes the "got" and tries to get me to leave it out of the
sentence. <G>

I tend to use "got" to emphasize and he says it sounds "ignorant".

<sigh>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> That was cute. :-)
>>>
>>> But, like most typos on Usenet, I ignore such things for the sake of
>>> peace...
>>>
>>> Dad always gets on me for the use of the word "got". <G>
>>>
>>> I just say "Yes Dear".

>> Do you use 'got' instead of 'gotten' ?

> The argument generally starts over simple statements like "I have got
> to get some sleep because it's getting late and I have to work
> tonight". Stuff like that.
>
> He dislikes the "got" and tries to get me to leave it out of the
> sentence. <G>
>
> I tend to use "got" to emphasize and he says it sounds "ignorant".

Ahh I see. Well it sounds just fine to me, but then it's not me you have to
please)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> > He dislikes the "got" and tries to get me to leave it out of the
> > sentence. <G>
> >
> > I tend to use "got" to emphasize and he says it sounds "ignorant".

> Ahh I see. Well it sounds just fine to me, but then it's not me you have to
> please)))

Indeed... The simple things are most often not worth fighting about. ;-)

I know when to just give in for the sake of peace!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> Do you use 'got' instead of 'gotten' ?

I never say, 'gotten.' I think it may be incorrect. But I have to check
myself not to use it because it is on the tip of my tongue.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> The argument generally starts over simple statements like "I have got to
> get some sleep because it's getting late and I have to work tonight".
> Stuff like that.
>
> He dislikes the "got" and tries to get me to leave it out of the
> sentence. <G>
>
> I tend to use "got" to emphasize and he says it sounds "ignorant".

In that sentence "got" does convey ignorance... it's a nasty
redundancy... you already have "get". Got is the
past and past participle of 'get' Always use 'get', never 'got',
never 'gotten' either, 'gotten' conveys even more ignorance than
'got'. I suppose 'got' and 'gotten' are okay in private conversation
but neither should never be used in intelligent communication, either
spoken or written. Using "have to" is not indicative of the sharpest
knife in the rack either... use need.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 8:52?am, Dee Dee wrote:

> Julia was b. in CA. Went to Smith. I don't know where
> she spent her growing-up time.
> Dee Dee

I believe Ms. Child passed away about 2 years ago. I'm
surprised no one (that I know of) has come forward with
a biography.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:42:21 -0700, KevinS > wrote:

>On Sep 2, 8:52?am, Dee Dee wrote:
>
>> Julia was b. in CA. Went to Smith. I don't know where
>> she spent her growing-up time.
>> Dee Dee

>I believe Ms. Child passed away about 2 years ago. I'm
>surprised no one (that I know of) has come forward with
>a biography.

They did. You are late to this.A biography came out about 2-3 years
ago..before she died. Called Appetite for Life, by Noel Riley Fitch.
She was the official biographer. Look it up.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>

>> Do you use 'got' instead of 'gotten' ?

> I never say, 'gotten.' I think it may be incorrect. But I have to check
> myself not to use it because it is on the tip of my tongue.

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > The argument generally starts over simple statements like "I have got to
> > get some sleep because it's getting late and I have to work tonight".
> > Stuff like that.
> >
> > He dislikes the "got" and tries to get me to leave it out of the
> > sentence. <G>
> >
> > I tend to use "got" to emphasize and he says it sounds "ignorant".

> In that sentence "got" does convey ignorance... it's a nasty
> redundancy... you already have "get". Got is the
> past and past participle of 'get' Always use 'get', never 'got',
> never 'gotten' either, 'gotten' conveys even more ignorance than
> 'got'. I suppose 'got' and 'gotten' are okay in private conversation
> but neither should never be used in intelligent communication, either
> spoken or written. Using "have to" is not indicative of the sharpest
> knife in the rack either... use need.
>
> Sheldon

Oh shut up dad. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>

>>Do you use 'got' instead of 'gotten' ?

> I never say, 'gotten.' I think it may be incorrect. But I have to check
> myself not to use it because it is on the tip of my tongue.
> Dee Dee

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aue/gotten.html

Gotten is not incorrect as such, it depends on the
usage.

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate wrote on Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:52:42 -0400:

KC> Dee Dee wrote:
??>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
??>> ...
??>>
??>>> Do you use 'got' instead of 'gotten' ?
??>>
??>> I never say, 'gotten.' I think it may be incorrect. But
??>> I have to check myself not to use it because it is on the
??>> tip of my tongue. Dee Dee

KC> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aue/gotten.html

KC> Gotten is not incorrect as such, it depends on the
KC> usage.

I can't see why I should have any objection to "gotten" tho' I
had never used it before I emigrated to the US. It is my
impression that this ancient form is not used in the UK. I still
sometimes say "got" where American usage might call for "gotten"
:-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Kate wrote on Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:52:42 -0400:
>
> KC> Dee Dee wrote:
> ??>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> ??>> ...
> ??>>
> ??>>> Do you use 'got' instead of 'gotten' ?
> ??>>
> ??>> I never say, 'gotten.' I think it may be incorrect. But
> ??>> I have to check myself not to use it because it is on the
> ??>> tip of my tongue. Dee Dee
>
> KC> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aue/gotten.html
>
> KC> Gotten is not incorrect as such, it depends on the
> KC> usage.
>
> I can't see why I should have any objection to "gotten" tho' I had never
> used it before I emigrated to the US. It is my impression that this
> ancient form is not used in the UK. I still sometimes say "got" where
> American usage might call for "gotten" :-)
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Here's an example of a sentence I like -- Just Kidding!
"I've gone and gotten the ..."

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland

> Here's an example of a sentence I like --
> "I've gone and gotten the ..."
>
> Dee Dee

Another variation:

"I've done gone and got (or gotten, whichever you may prefer) ..."
Dee Dee