Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ACME supermarket, Caught 'em red handed!

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> Oh, I'm definitely not advocating that people spend money they
> don't have. I'm only talking about the case where you're using plastic
> rather than cash ... that credit cards have many advantages over
> a debit card. Using credit card rather than debit card only when
> you would have spent that money anyway, if I'm making myself
> clear.

Your way can work well, it is just a hang up of using a credit card for
certain things that I have. Done properly you can gain with rebates or
airline miles, etc.

> Well, I'm about to learn to deal with the monthly paycheck thing myself,
> this is month one of Ron's retirement.

Good for him. I hope he enjoys life more now.

When I changed jobs about 26 years ago, I was told I'd be paid once a
month. It was a terrifying thought at the time. After a few months, I'd not
want it any other way. With direct deposit, the money is there on the last
Thursday, I pay the bills about that time and I'm done for the month. What
is left over is what we have to spend. Every third month is five weeks. I
got into the habit of accumulating my cash expenses for work and turning
them in that week and then I have spending money

I'd never want to go back to a weekly check.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message news:y-

> I always paid cash until I got the American Express card with the rebate.

One of my daughters was about to write a check for a (pricey) new car, but
charged it to a credit card and says she got enough air miles to circle the
globe forever. I wish I had seen the look on the faces of (1) the car
salesman when she handed him the card, and (2) the card company when she
paid it off at the end of the month.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 14:12:59 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>> Omelet said...
>>
>>> Just use cash...

>> Om,
>>
>> Funny but with the modern convenience of credit cards with RF chips and debit
>> cards, cash almost weighs me down.
>>
>> I have wondered what a map my life looks like to those companies whose cards
>> I use--probably plates of spaghetti. <-- OB Food!
>>
>> Andy

>DD has complained that when she pays cash for stuff, the other folks in
>the line behind her glare at her as if she was one of those old ladies
>who wait-until-the-total-to-start-looking-for-her-checkbook. She
>doesn't dawdle, but people are already emulating what they see on TV in
>those VISA Check Card commercials.
>
>Bob

talk about ads you hate! i use a debit card for most things, but if
you don't like someone using actual cash, tough shit. some people
don't have/don't like the cards.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 14:37:23 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>> > Omelet said...

>> > Om,
>> >
>> > Funny but with the modern convenience of credit cards with RF chips and
>> > debit
>> > cards, cash almost weighs me down.
>> >
>> > I have wondered what a map my life looks like to those companies whose
>> > cards
>> > I use--probably plates of spaghetti. <-- OB Food!
>> >
>> > Andy

>> DD has complained that when she pays cash for stuff, the other folks in
>> the line behind her glare at her as if she was one of those old ladies
>> who wait-until-the-total-to-start-looking-for-her-checkbook. She
>> doesn't dawdle, but people are already emulating what they see on TV in
>> those VISA Check Card commercials.
>>
>> Bob

>She should simply not pay attention, nor care!

or pay attention to the extent that she turns around and says '****
off.'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 21:32:21 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>

>>> Are you starting to 'look' old yet, Andy? >> Dee Dee

>> I'm a short person's first choice for top shelf items at the supermarket.
>> Happens all the time! "Thank you young man!" does have a nice ring to it!

>Yep, I do this all the time, and with heavy objects. I search around for
>the strongest and the smiley-est, making sure the wife is no where in site.
>Dee Dee

i'm in a wheelchair, and it seems the grocery store that i shop at has
put my most-frequently bought items on the top shelf. it gets old
after a while. i used to be tall and reaching for other people.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Never had a double charge, but I do have a charge that is about 9 months old
> that has never shown up. Given the small amount the store just said to wait
> and see what happens as it would cost them far more to find and fix a $19
> charge than to just take their chances.

Back in 1992 when EuroDisney opened we took the kids to Paris for the
big grand opening. I charged everything on our Disney hotel keycard
which had my own credit card as guarantor. I had intended to pay the
entire tab in travelers checks at time of departure. The Disney Hotel
folks were still struggling to get organized and learn the ropes (and in
all the various languages!) and on the day we departed I went down to
settle our tab and they told me they'd already put it on my credit card.
oh...ok...I'll just pay it off with all the travelers checks I was
carrying when I get the bill.
It never came. I sat on those travelers checks for about a year before
spending them elsewhere.
It was a great vacation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 10:09:16 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>She's got it down. Good for you.

She's much better than me for sure. Thanks.

> I would not consider having paypal
>linked to my main checking account because I get (well, used to get)
>a gazillion phishing emails that my paypal account was hacked, and
>you know I'd still have to check to make sure it wasn't true. Too much
>stress for me.

Yep. That's why the paypal account is separate. I get them on email
accounts that have never been used for anything other than newsgroups.
Friggin creeps.

>At any rate, I think people should use their credit cards rather than
>debit, in general. At the very least, only leave as much in the account
>as you're prepared to live without for some time. But why put out the
>money in real time when you can just write a check at the end of the
>month?

That's about what Louise the bookkeeper does.

Lou <---cooks but doesn't get involved with the money
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:56:14 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'm thinking I've never heard anyone say they went to the store and
>> used a debit card but the charge never showed up. Yet double charges
>> happen all the time. Hummmmm......
>>
>> Lou

>Never had a double charge, but I do have a charge that is about 9 months old
>that has never shown up. Given the small amount the store just said to wait
>and see what happens as it would cost them far more to find and fix a $19
>charge than to just take their chances.

That's unusual. Wonder how they balanced the books.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 8, 5:26?pm, Lou Decruss wrote:

> That's unusual. Wonder how they balanced the books.

> Lou

Plug. Do what lots of small banks do. Open a "general
ledger out of balance" account ("glob"). Then resolve
the glob entries to zero or to the point of being immaterial.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:56:14 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> > >
> >> I'm thinking I've never heard anyone say they went to the store and
> >> used a debit card but the charge never showed up. Yet double

> charges >> happen all the time. Hummmmm......
> > >
> >> Lou

> > Never had a double charge, but I do have a charge that is about 9
> > months old that has never shown up. Given the small amount the
> > store just said to wait and see what happens as it would cost them
> > far more to find and fix a $19 charge than to just take their
> > chances.

> That's unusual. Wonder how they balanced the books.

Their accountant probably has a "Who the Hell knows what happened"
category set up. With a more respectable name, of course.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:20:42 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Lou Decruss wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 06:00:41 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>KevinS said...

>>> Assuming you paid with a debit or credit card, I'd follow the
>>> error resolution procedure which should be described in
>>> your bank statement.

>>Yep.
>>
>>I called the ACME and they said call your bank. He did go on to mention
>>that "it shouldn't, but it happens about once a month." Hmmm...
>>
>>I called my bank and they noted the error but said I'll have to stop in at
>>my branch and file a written transaction dispute form. I don't mind. Holly
>>is the hottest bank branch manager I ever laid eyes on.
>>
>>Still, ACME was at fault and passing the buck like that doesn't give me any
>>assurance that they'll actually address the problem.

>These stories annoy me big time. I was at the grocery store a few
>years ago and my debit card "failed." The cashier said to try again.
>Like an idiot I did. It failed again so I wrote a check. When I got
>home I went online and both debit transactions went through and they
>also had my check. The bill was about $70.00. So I paid $210.00 for
>$70.00 worth of food. I called the store and they said to call my
>bank. I called the bank and they said problem was with the store. I
>didn't bother calling the store. I went back there. I was told they
>would have to do an investigation. I could take 10-14 days. I had
>known the bookkeeper/manager since she was stocking shelves and she
>said she would try to speed it up. They had to review computer
>records and surveillance tapes to make sure I hadn't purchased the
>same group of items 3 times. She also claimed the register was
>supposed to require an over-ride if a total transaction amount showed
>up twice. Guess that didn't work.

This happened to me yesterday, but each time I got a printout of a refund.

--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 14:12:59 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
> >Andy wrote:
> >> Omelet said...

> >> Om,
> >>
> >> Funny but with the modern convenience of credit cards with RF chips and debit
> >> cards, cash almost weighs me down.
> >>
> >> I have wondered what a map my life looks like to those companies whose cards
> >> I use--probably plates of spaghetti. <-- OB Food!
> >>
> >> Andy

> >DD has complained that when she pays cash for stuff, the other folks in
> >the line behind her glare at her as if she was one of those old ladies
> >who wait-until-the-total-to-start-looking-for-her-checkbook. She
> >doesn't dawdle, but people are already emulating what they see on TV in
> >those VISA Check Card commercials.
> >
> >Bob

> talk about ads you hate! i use a debit card for most things, but if
> you don't like someone using actual cash, tough shit. some people
> don't have/don't like the cards.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Given how slow some of card readers are, haven't observed that using a
debit or credit card is typically any faster than having cash in hand
(literally). And then of course there are the people who put what they
bought in the cart (after the total shows uup) and then start looking
for the card. That's not a real time-saver anyway.

Since I'm relatively short, lots of things on certain top shelves aren't
accessible either. Usually I get a broom from the cleaning supply
shelves and get the stuff off the shelf myself. At the DIY places I get
a length of pipe to do that. Waiting for someone to help often takes too
much time!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri wrote on Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:23:05 -0600:

AL> blake murphy wrote:
??>>>>
??>>>> Funny but with the modern convenience of credit cards
??>>>> with RF chips and debit cards, cash almost weighs me
??>>>> down.

??>>>> ??>>>> I have wondered what a map my life looks like to
??>>>> those companies whose cards I use--probably plates of
??>>> DD has complained that when she pays cash for stuff, the
??>>> other folks in the line behind her glare at her as if she
??>>> was one of those old ladies who
??>>> wait-until-the-total-to-start-looking-for-her-checkbook.
??>>> She doesn't dawdle, but people are already emulating what
??>>> they see on TV in those VISA Check Card commercials.
??>>>
??>>> Bob
??>>
??>> talk about ads you hate! i use a debit card for most
??>> things, but if you don't like someone using actual cash,
??>> tough shit. some people don't have/don't like the cards.
??>>

AL> Given how slow some of card readers are, haven't observed
AL> that using a debit or credit card is typically any faster
AL> than having cash in hand (literally). And then of course
AL> there are the people who put what they bought in the cart
AL> (after the total shows uup) and then start looking for the
AL> card. That's not a real time-saver anyway.

My working principle is not to have a debit card but only credit
cards. If I expect to pay more than $10, I obey the usual
instruction to swipe the card while checkout is in progress.
Under $10, I use cash but it is surprising how much coinage I
accumulate in change. Since the only coins I carry when leaving
my house are 8 quarters for parking meters, the rest goes into a
money box. Each month I take the coins to my bank's no-charge
coin counter and deposit the amount. What is surprising is how
consistent is the monthly amount: almost always $40 ± $5 ( I
hope the symbol for plus or minus is transmitted properly.)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> Are you starting to 'look' old yet, Andy? This is the attitude I get --
> some people think that because I look like a turnip that I have no brains to
> get 14 cents out fast enough for them, and they would like to push me aside.
>
> Reeling off seven dollars just isn't fast enough -- you gotta have a
> hand-full of change real-handy.
> Dee Dee

In the past, I tried to pay with exact change, and my children would
roll their eyes because I was not fast enough for them. They
survived.<g> Now I pay with a credit card so I can get FF miles.

There were over 1,000 messages posted to the group this weekend. Not
sure I will catch up, but I will try. I read faster than I can pay out
at a register.<g>

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Given how slow some of card readers are, haven't observed that using a
> debit or credit card is typically any faster than having cash in hand
> (literally).

The stores I shop at you can swipe the card while the cashier is
ringing the purchases. Can't do that with cash.

> And then of course there are the people who put what they
> bought in the cart (after the total shows uup) and then start looking
> for the card. That's not a real time-saver anyway.

But these people would have their cash out and ready? I've spent a lot
more time watching people fish through their cash than I have them
searching for a single card.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
>
> > Given how slow some of card readers are, haven't observed that using a
> > debit or credit card is typically any faster than having cash in hand
> > (literally).

> The stores I shop at you can swipe the card while the cashier is
> ringing the purchases. Can't do that with cash.

Can have the cash in hand. I do that all the time if I don't want to use
a card anyway.

> > And then of course there are the people who put what they
> > bought in the cart (after the total shows uup) and then start looking
> > for the card. That's not a real time-saver anyway.

> But these people would have their cash out and ready? I've spent a lot
> more time watching people fish through their cash than I have them
> searching for a single card.
>
> Brian

Depends on the location I suppose. So many people seem to think that
it's OK to delay everyone else whether it's cash or card.