Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Default Porcelain coated iron vs. cast iron skillet

Peter A > wrote:
>Cast iron has a higher specific heat than any other material used in
>cooking utensils, aluminum excepted.

Umm?

Googling "specific heat cast iron stainless steel", I came up with this link:
http://blog.khymos.org/2007/03/01/st...ainless-steel/

According to that article,

"There is a very small difference in specific heat capacity between cast
iron and stainless steel (0,46 J/g*K vs. 0,50 J/g*K)."

Donald
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

As a professional chef I really don't like to use cast iron frying
pans as they are very heavy to handle or to work with, but cast iron
skillets or cast iron dutch ovens are very useful. On the long run,
cast iron is not very useful inside a porfessional kitchen as you may
need to take some care on them.

We love cast iron pans, pots, grills and skillets at home for any
cooking, in most situations the food is incredible in cast iron. To
keep our cast iron cookery, we wash gently with soap after each use
and then we coat with a film of cooking oil in a hot burner.

In a TV show, the chefs like to use colorful pots and pans, most of
the times they prefer to use them because food tends to look wonderful
in a colored pan than in a black cast iron it is part of the show.

So go to your best shop and buy as many cast iron products as you can.

Alex.: