Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question on Indian (Hindu) food

Visited a Hindu restaurant in Dallas recently and they had some kind of
fruit or berry dip, something like a jam consistency. It was a purple
color. Had a sweet taste.

I asked what it was but now I cannot remember the name. Can any suggest
what this was???

Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 3:07 pm, Peter A > wrote:
> I suspect that you had was a mango chutney.
>
> By the way, Indian food is not "Hindu food."

I like Methodist food, myself...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

new wrote on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:23:19 -0700:

nn> On Aug 29, 3:07 pm, Peter A > wrote:
??>> I suspect that you had was a mango chutney.
??>>
??>> By the way, Indian food is not "Hindu food."

"Hindu" is an unusual name to give what most of us would call
"Indian" food. Indian food is a very broad topic give the size
of the sub-continent and the various distinct cuisines. I have
to admit that there could be a difference between strict Hindus
and, say Mohammedans, since Hindu food woud probably be
vegetarian and at least would not involve beef but there are
many sorts of Hindu too.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:

>"Hindu" is an unusual name to give what most of us would call
>"Indian" food. Indian food is a very broad topic give the size
>of the sub-continent and the various distinct cuisines. I have
>to admit that there could be a difference between strict Hindus
>and, say Mohammedans, since Hindu food woud probably be
>vegetarian and at least would not involve beef but there are
>many sorts of Hindu too.

Possibly the OP went to a restaurant in Dallas that has
"Hindu" in the name or on the menu. It's not unhear of.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:23:19 -0700, new nym >
wrote:

>On Aug 29, 3:07 pm, Peter A > wrote:
>> I suspect that you had was a mango chutney.
>>
>> By the way, Indian food is not "Hindu food."

>I like Methodist food, myself...

You mean those green bean/musroom soup/canned onion casseroles?
Gagamaggot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 8:36 am, "miket6065" > wrote:
> Visited aHindurestaurant in Dallas recently and they had some kind of
> fruit or berry dip, something like a jam consistency. It was a purple
> color. Had a sweet taste.
>
> I asked what it was but now I cannot remember the name. Can any suggest
> what this was???
>
> Mike

First off, it is misnomer, Hindu restaurant. The difference between a
Hindu a nd Muslim joint is this: Hindus will not serve beef, but may
serve pork, while reverse is true for a Muslim joint. All other things
are same.

It could not be an exclusive mango chutney, which is likely yo golden
yellow if from partially ripe fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 1:03 am, Rupee > wrote:
> On Aug 29, 8:36 am, "miket6065" > wrote:
>
> > Visited aHindurestaurant in Dallas recently and they had some kind of
> > fruit or berry dip, something like a jam consistency. It was a purple
> > color. Had a sweet taste.

> > I asked what it was but now I cannot remember the name. Can any suggest
> > what this was???

> > Mike

> First off, it is misnomer, Hindu restaurant. The difference between a
> Hindu a nd Muslim joint is this: Hindus will not serve beef, but may
> serve pork,

Wrong. Hindu never serves pork either.

> while reverse is true for a Muslim joint. All other things
> are same.
>
> It could not be an exclusive mango chutney, which is likely yo golden
> yellow if from partially ripe fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sep 5, 1:03 am, Rupee > wrote:
> > On Aug 29, 8:36 am, "miket6065" > wrote:
> >
> > > Visited aHindurestaurant in Dallas recently and they had some
> > > kind of fruit or berry dip, something like a jam consistency. It
> > > was a purple color. Had a sweet taste.

> > > I asked what it was but now I cannot remember the name. Can any
> > > suggest what this was???

> > > Mike

> > First off, it is misnomer, Hindu restaurant. The difference between
> > a Hindu a nd Muslim joint is this: Hindus will not serve beef, but
> > may serve pork,

> Wrong. Hindu never serves pork either.

Googling brings up a number of sites which suggest otherwise. Starting
with:
Indian Cooking and Recipes
Mick Gower's Indian Recipes (sheek kebab, pork vindaloo, banana
raita...) Poornima's Recipes (beetroot raita, poha dosa, mirchi...) -
Sameeksha ...
www.knowledgehound.com/topics/indianre.htm - 37k - Cached - Similar
pages - Filter - History
AUTHENTIC INDIAN CURRY RECIPES - Coorgi Pork - very very hot
Slice 10 onions and cook in a saucepan with the pork and a little
water. ... If you have any authentic Indian recipes that you would like
to have included ...
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/...coorgipork.htm - 6k - Cached -
Similar pages - Filter - History
Goan Vindaloo, Recipes in Goa, West India Cuisine, Recipes of ...
Indian Recipes, North India Cuisine, South India Cuisine ... Note:
Chicken or beef can also be used in the recipe given for Pork Vindaloo.
www.surfindia.com/recipes/goan-vindaloo.html - 20k - Cached - Similar
pages - Filter - History
India-Style Hot And Sour Pork-Vindaloo Recipe | Pork Entree ...
A recipe for India-Style Hot And Sour Pork-Vindaloo - | Pork Entree
Recipes | Indian Recipes, whole cumin seeds hot, dried red chillies
black peppercorns ...
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...PorkVindaloo41
000.shtml - 36k - Cached - Similar pages - Filter - History
COLLECTION: Indian Recipes (2 of 2)
Somesh Rao's "The Graduate Student's Guide To Indian Recipes" Vol.2 (of
2) ... Add the pork and pressure cook for 20 minutes, or in a heavy pot
for 1 1/2 ...
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/e...an-coll-2.html - 15k -
Cached - Similar pages - Filter - History
123India.com Recipes : Food : Society and Culture
Geetha's South Indian Recipes - over 100 tasty South Indian recipes
Goan Recipes - recipes for fish & chicken dishes, pork, beef, pickles,
chutneys, sweets. ...
dir.123india.com/society_and_culture/food/recipes/ - 29k - Cached -
Similar pages - Filter - History
Pork Vindaloo Recipe :: Tamil Recipes - Traditional Tamil Recipes ...
Discuss Print Pork Vindaloo recipe Print Email Pork Vindaloo recipe to
friend Email. Name: Pork Vindaloo Popular. Category: Indian Recipes.
Author: 90 ...
http://www.kuttyjapan.com/tamilrecip...il.aspx?id=536 - 66k -
Cached - Similar pages - Filter - History
Indian Recipes: East Indian Pork Chops Recipe
Find great Indian Recipes at IndianSnacks.com including East Indian
Pork Chops.
http://www.indiasnacks.com/recipe/25...Pork-Chops.php - 19k -
Cached - Similar pages - Filter - History
Indian Recipes - Kerala Pork Curry Recipe @ New Kerala .Com, India
Indian Recipes - Kerala Pork Curry Recipe. by Mrs Annamma Philippose.
Kerala Pork Curry Recipe. Ingrediants: Pork - 500 gm Vinegar - 2 desert
spoon ...
http://www.newkerala.com/recipes/Ind...la-Pork-Curry-
Recipe.html - 112k - Cached - Similar pages - Filter - History
Free Indian Recipes Online - Home
Get all the Asian Indian recipes, Chili recipe and simple step by step
cooking ... Get all the 40+ Beef and Pork Recipes he Aniseed Beef,
Baked Kebabs, ...
www.asianchefrecipes.com/ - 57k - Cached - Similar pages - Filter -
History

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06 Sep 2007 23:13:47 GMT, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:

wrote:

>> > First off, it is misnomer, Hindu restaurant. The difference between
>> > a Hindu a nd Muslim joint is this: Hindus will not serve beef, but
>> > may serve pork,

>> Wrong. Hindu never serves pork either.

>Googling brings up a number of sites which suggest otherwise. Starting
>with:

<bunch of recipes deleted>

Pork is a 'christian' food, it does not show up in 'Hindu' cuisine. You
will find it used in areas that have a Portuguese history and
measureable Christian population - Goa, Kerala, parts of Karnataka, etc.

By saying Hindu, you are isolating the cuisine to that which is typical
of those who practice the Hindu religion from other cuisines of India.
Other religious dietary restricted cuisines of India would include
Muslim, Moghul, Parsi, and regional cuisines (like Goan which has a
strong Portuguese/Christian influence).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 4:13 pm, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
> wrote:

> > > First off, it is misnomer, Hindu restaurant. The difference between
> > > a Hindu a nd Muslim joint is this: Hindus will not serve beef, but
> > > may serve pork,

> > Wrong. Hindu never serves pork either.

> Googling brings up a number of sites which suggest otherwise. Starting
> with:
> Indian Cooking and Recipes

Indian and Hindu are not the same thing> Find great Indian Recipes at
IndianSnacks.com including East Indian
> Pork Chops.http://www.indiasnacks.com/recipe/25...ork-Chops.php- 19k -
> Cached - Similar pages - Filter - History
> Indian Recipes - Kerala Pork Curry Recipe @ New Kerala .Com, India
> Indian Recipes - Kerala Pork Curry Recipe. by Mrs Annamma Philippose.
> Kerala Pork Curry Recipe. Ingrediants: Pork - 500 gm Vinegar - 2 desert
> spoon ...http://www.newkerala.com/recipes/Ind...la-Pork-Curry-
> Recipe.html - 112k - Cached - Similar pages - Filter - History
> Free Indian Recipes Online - Home
> Get all the Asian Indian recipes, Chili recipe and simple step by step
> cooking ... Get all the 40+ Beef and Pork Recipes he Aniseed Beef,
> Baked Kebabs, ...www.asianchefrecipes.com/- 57k - Cached - Similar pages - Filter -
> History
>
> --
> Dan Goodman
> "You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
> Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
> if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
> Journalhttp://dsgood.livejournal.com
> Futureshttp://dangoodman.livejournal.com
> mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
> Linkshttp://del.icio.us/dsgood- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sep 6, 4:13 pm, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
> > wrote:

> > > Wrong. Hindu never serves pork either.

> > Googling brings up a number of sites which suggest otherwise.
> > Starting with:
> > Indian Cooking and Recipes

> Indian and Hindu are not the same thing>

Tell you what -- find me the same number of sites with beef recipes
from India, and I'll concede your point.

Or a statement from a credible religious source.

Find great Indian Recipes at
> IndianSnacks.com including East Indian

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
Journal
http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 8, 4:30 pm, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
> wrote:

> > > Googling brings up a number of sites which suggest otherwise.
> > > Starting with:
> > > Indian Cooking and Recipes

> > Indian and Hindu are not the same thing>

> Tell you what -- find me the same number of sites with beef recipes
> from India, and I'll concede your point.

You must be joking. Care to know how many percentage of Indian
population is Muslim?

> Or a statement from a credible religious source.

You must have lost your mind.

> Find great Indian Recipes at
>
> > IndianSnacks.com including East Indian

> --
> Dan Goodman
> "You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
> Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
> if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
> Journalhttp://dsgood.livejournal.com
> Futureshttp://dangoodman.livejournal.com
> mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
> Linkshttp://del.icio.us/dsgood- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

> On Sep 8, 4:30 pm, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
> > wrote:

> > > Indian and Hindu are not the same thing>

> > Tell you what -- find me the same number of sites with beef recipes
> > from India, and I'll concede your point.

> You must be joking. Care to know how many percentage of Indian
> population is Muslim?

Easy enough to look up. But if pork is taboo for Hindus -- as it is
for Muslims -- then there could well be more beef recipes than pork
recipes.

> > Or a statement from a credible religious source.

> You must have lost your mind.

You say Hindus don't eat pork. If so, at least one high-ranking Hindu
authority will have said so and probably explained the theological
reasoning involved.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 8, 8:14 pm, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
> amandaF wrote:

> > > Tell you what -- find me the same number of sites with beef recipes
> > > from India, and I'll concede your point.

> > You must be joking. Care to know how many percentage of Indian
> > population is Muslim?

> Easy enough to look up. But if pork is taboo for Hindus -- as it is
> for Muslims -- then there could well be more beef recipes than pork
> recipes.

You just don't get it. Hindus do not have rules against pork like
Muslims do; they have rules against meat. Duh.

> > > Or a statement from a credible religious source.

> > You must have lost your mind.

> You say Hindus don't eat pork.

Have not met any (and I met a lot) who eat pork.

> If so, at least one high-ranking Hindu
> authority will have said so and probably explained the theological
> reasoning involved.
>
> --
> Dan Goodman
> "You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
> Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
> if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
> Journalhttp://dsgood.livejournal.com
> Futureshttp://dangoodman.livejournal.com
> mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
> Linkshttp://del.icio.us/dsgood- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

> You just don't get it. Hindus do not have rules against pork like
> Muslims do; they have rules against meat. Duh.

Important difference:

The Muslim rule against pork is absolute _for all Muslims_. (Though
there's probably an exception for when it's the only available food,
and not eating would seriously affect health.)

The Hindu rule is absolute _only for certain people_. The prohibition
against meat is absolute for Brahmins, but not for members of other
castes.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Find out what makes you different and better. Because it is there,
if only you can find it." Vernor Vinge, _Rainbows End_
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror: http://dsgood.insanejoural.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HINDUISM

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu...incy/hindu.cfm

Dietary Regulations:* Vegetarianism is recommended in Hindu
scriptures, but Hindus are free to choose their own diet.* In India,
vegetarian diet is widespread.* Of those who eat meat, most abstain
from beef and pork.* In America, many Hindus particularly second-
generation, eat meat.* Hot, spicy food is common, particularly with
those from South India.* Yogurt and sweets are taken along with
meals.* Indian food is fairly salty.* Ghee (clarified butter) is often
used for oil.* Coffee and tea are both used.* In the East, eating with
the right hand, without utensils, is the traditional method.* In
America, eating with utensils is considered acceptable.

http://www.minoritynurse.com/feature...10-25-05b.html

The Hindu Dietary Code
Devout Hindus believe that all of God's creatures are worthy of
respect and compassion, regardless of whether they are humans or
animals. Therefore, Hinduism encourages being vegetarian and avoiding
the eating of any animal meat or flesh. However, not all Hindus choose
to practice vegetarianism, and they may adhere to the religion's
dietary codes in varying degrees of strictness. For example, some
Hindus refrain from eating beef and pork, which are strictly
prohibited in the Hindu diet code, but do eat other meats.
Like Buddhists, Hindus believe that food affects both body and mind.
Food is considered to be a source of the body's chemistry, which
affects one's consciousness and emotions. Thus, expression of the soul
depends on the body, which depends on the food. A proper diet is
considered vital for spiritual development in Hinduism. The Hindu diet
code divides food into three categories, based on the food's effect
onthe body and the temperament:

· Tamasic food is leftover, stale, overripe, spoiled or other impure
food, which is believed to produce negative emotions, such as anger,
jealousy and greed.

· Rajasic is food that is believed to produce strong emotional
qualities, passions and restlessness in the mind. This category
includes meat, eggs, fish, spices, onions, garlic, hot peppers,
pickles and other pungent or spicy foods.

· The most desirable type of food, Sattvic, is food that is non-
irritating to the stomach and purifying to the mind; it includes
fruits, nuts, whole grains and vegetables. These foods are believed to
produce calmness and nobility, or what is known as an "increase in
one's magnetism."

Some specific Hindu dietary customs and practices include the
following:
· A true devotee will refuse to accept any food that is not offered
first to God. Gaining God's blessing before consuming the food is
essential. Hindus may do this is by placing their daily food before
the particular deities they worship and by reciting shlokas (prayers).
Once the food is offered to God, it is eaten as prasad or blessed
food.
· Before starting any daily meal, a devout Hindu first sprinkles water
around the plate as an act of purification.
· Five morsels of food are placed on the side of the table to
acknowledge the debt owed to the devta runa (divine forces) for their
benign grace and protection.
· For a child's birthday celebration, the sacred symbol "OM" is added
onto the birthday cake along with "Happy Birthday." Also, a lamp is
lit instead of having the child blow out the candles. In the Hindu
faith, lighting a lamp is symbolic of new life, a new beginning or the
spreading of knowledge.

http://www.planetpapers.com/Assets/1441.php

In Hinduism, they believe in Brahman, Karma, and do not eat meat.
Brahman is the Supreme Hindu G-d. All other g-ds and goddesses are
aspects of Brahman. In fact, everything in the world is part of
Brahman. He destroys, recreates, maintains and creates in samsara,
which is the cycle of birth, death, and rebirth again. It is a Hindu's
main goal in life to reach Brahman, and by following one's dharma
(rules and regulations one must follow starting at birth), one's soul
may eventually be united with him. By following your dharma, you may
also have a good next life and be reborn into a higher social class.
The total bad and good deed a human soul carries from one life to the
next is karma. The number of good and bad deeds you do also affects
your next life, whether you're human/animal, rich/poor, happy/sad, and
things you may experience in this next life. They believe that even
though your body dies, your soul is taken into a new body. Hindus'
diets consist of only vegetation, because they believe that a person
in one life could be an animal in another. Therefore, if you killed an
animal, it would be like murdering a human. So you would be robbing
them of the chance to ever reach their goal in life (reaching
Brahman). That is why they treat animals and people as equals.

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Pre-Sm...Practices.html

Hinduism.
Hindus do not consume any foods that might slow down spiritual or
physical growth. The eating of meat is not prohibited, but pork, fowl,
ducks, snails, crabs, and camels are avoided. The cow is sacred to
Hindus, and therefore no beef is consumed. Other products from the
cow, however, such as milk, yogurt, and butter are considered innately
pure and are thought to promote purity of the mind, spirit, and body.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shadowland wrote:

> [...]
> diets consist of only vegetation, because they believe that a person
> in one life could be an animal in another. Therefore, if you killed an
> animal, it would be like murdering a human. So you would be robbing
> them of the chance to ever reach their goal in life (reaching
> Brahman). That is why they treat animals and people as equals.
>
> http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Pre-Sm...ry-Practices.h
> tml
>
> Hinduism.
> Hindus do not consume any foods that might slow down spiritual or
> physical growth. The eating of meat is not prohibited, but pork, fowl,
> ducks, snails, crabs, and camels are avoided. The cow is sacred to
> Hindus, and therefore no beef is consumed. Other products from the
> cow, however, such as milk, yogurt, and butter are considered innately
> pure and are thought to promote purity of the mind, spirit, and body.

Thanks!