Jack B

Default Abba Swedish Herring

...."in Traditional Marinade"

I love it.

And I usually eat it with something like a Wasa crispbread.

Tonight I fried a small piece of bacon to eat with the herring. And the
bacon got lost in the big flavor of the herring.

I'd like suggestions (especially from Sweden) about other brands or
types of herring, and about other foods to eat it with.

--
Jack
Louis Cohen

Most supermarkets carry herring in wine sauce and in cream sauce. Some
stores will have Matjes herring, in a red sauce.

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Jack B" > wrote in message
news:151020032201343304%spam@jackatbohnhoffdotcom. spam...
> ..."in Traditional Marinade"
>
> I love it.
>
> And I usually eat it with something like a Wasa crispbread.
>
> Tonight I fried a small piece of bacon to eat with the herring. And the
> bacon got lost in the big flavor of the herring.
>
> I'd like suggestions (especially from Sweden) about other brands or
> types of herring, and about other foods to eat it with.
>
> --
> Jack

Janne Vuorinen

I like to enjoy my herring with dark rye bread, butter and thinly sliced
onion. Sometimes I add some slices of cold boiled potatoes too.
Simple is beautiful

I prefer "natural" herring which is not marinated but only salted.

In article >, "Jack B"
> wrote:

> ..."in Traditional Marinade"
>
> I love it.
>
> And I usually eat it with something like a Wasa crispbread.
>
> Tonight I fried a small piece of bacon to eat with the herring. And the
> bacon got lost in the big flavor of the herring.
>
> I'd like suggestions (especially from Sweden) about other brands or
> types of herring, and about other foods to eat it with.

--
Chiliä! http://www.saunalahti.fi/~thietavu
jacqui{JB}

"Jack B" > wrote in message
news:151020032201343304%spam@jackatbohnhoffdotcom. spam...

> ..."in Traditional Marinade"
>
> I love it.
>
> And I usually eat it with something like a
> Wasa crispbread.
>
> Tonight I fried a small piece of bacon to eat
> with the herring. And the bacon got lost in
> the big flavor of the herring.
>
> I'd like suggestions (especially from Sweden)
> about other brands or types of herring, and
> about other foods to eat it with.

I'm a recent transplant from California to Denmark. I'd never had
herring before I moved here, so it's still something of a novelty, but
I, like you, love it.

At home, we usually serve herring quite plain -- be it marinated,
curried, spiced or just plain salted, with traditional black bread
spread with butter (or pork fat seasoned with [or without] a bit of
crisp onion), sliced raw onion and a few capers.

Fried herring is quite nice, too (turned in rye flour and fried in
butter), if you can get your hands on fresh, along with boiled
potatoes and parsley sauce (make a white sauce with some of the potato
cooking water for a perfectly lovely, silky, lighter-textured sauce).
Any fried herring leftovers can be marinated and served the next day
with black bread.

And, this summer, my husband introduced me to what he considers to be
the traditional Swedish way to eat herring: with buttered crisp bread
and boiled potatoes sprinkled with fresh dill.

But however you serve it, herring should always be accompanied with
good beer and snaps.

Good recipes for herring can be found he
http://www.sildesiden.dk/ -- I'll be happy to help you translate.

-j

Jack B

In article >, jacqui{JB}
> wrote:

> "Jack B" > wrote in message
> news:151020032201343304%spam@jackatbohnhoffdotcom. spam...
>

> > I love it.

> I, like you, love it.
>
> At home, we usually serve herring quite plain -- be it marinated,
> curried, spiced or just plain salted, with traditional black bread
> spread with butter (or pork fat seasoned with [or without] a bit of
> crisp onion), sliced raw onion and a few capers.
>
> Fried herring is quite nice, too (turned in rye flour and fried in
> butter), if you can get your hands on fresh, along with boiled
> potatoes and parsley sauce (make a white sauce with some of the potato
> cooking water for a perfectly lovely, silky, lighter-textured sauce).
> Any fried herring leftovers can be marinated and served the next day
> with black bread.
>
> And, this summer, my husband introduced me to what he considers to be
> the traditional Swedish way to eat herring: with buttered crisp bread
> and boiled potatoes sprinkled with fresh dill.
>
> But however you serve it, herring should always be accompanied with
> good beer and snaps.
>
> Good recipes for herring can be found he
> http://www.sildesiden.dk/ -- I'll be happy to help you translate.

Oh, lots of sild there!

Janne Vuorinen and you have both mentioned salted herring.

That sounds good. Is there a recipe for that sort of herring at
sildesiden.dk (somewhere in the "Salt sild" pages)? Or is it something
I should be able to just buy somewhere?

If there are recipes there, I would surely appreciate some translation.

And I've learned this evening that it is very hard to find a good
Danish-English translator or dictionary on the Web.

--
Jack

alzelt

Louis Cohen wrote:

> Most supermarkets carry herring in wine sauce and in cream sauce. Some
> stores will have Matjes herring, in a red sauce.

But those that are truly blessed have a Finn for a wife and can have
homemade herring whenever you want.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Janne Vuorinen wrote:

> I like to enjoy my herring with dark rye bread, butter and thinly sliced
> onion. Sometimes I add some slices of cold boiled potatoes too.
> Simple is beautiful
>
> I prefer "natural" herring which is not marinated but only salted.

That's interesting. The SBF never mentioned that. She starts with salted
herring, rinses them, and then makes mustard herring, pickled herring,
shoemakers salmon and Jannsens Delight.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Janne Vuorinen wrote:

> I like to enjoy my herring with dark rye bread, butter and thinly sliced
> onion. Sometimes I add some slices of cold boiled potatoes too.
> Simple is beautiful
>
> I prefer "natural" herring which is not marinated but only salted.

Ah, now it was explained to me. You are referring to the Baltic herrings
which are lightly salted and used as part of a sandwich. I thought you
were reffering to the "basic" Icelandic herring which, when salted, is
inedible, until several rinses of water.

As for me, I prefer the basic baltic herring gutted and sliced in half,
stuffed with dill, breaded with rye flour and fried. YUM!!
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Jack B

In article
>, alzelt
> wrote:

> Janne Vuorinen wrote:
>
> > I like to enjoy my herring with dark rye bread, butter and thinly sliced
> > onion. Sometimes I add some slices of cold boiled potatoes too.
> > Simple is beautiful
> >
> > I prefer "natural" herring which is not marinated but only salted.
> >

> Ah, now it was explained to me. You are referring to the Baltic herrings
> which are lightly salted and used as part of a sandwich. I thought you
> were reffering to the "basic" Icelandic herring which, when salted, is
> inedible, until several rinses of water.
>
> As for me, I prefer the basic baltic herring gutted and sliced in half,
> stuffed with dill, breaded with rye flour and fried. YUM!!

That sounds glorious.

Now if I could just find a basic Baltic herring (preferably gutted)
around here...

I'm reading about dioxin issues, though. e.g.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3178058.stm

--
Jack
alzelt

Jack B wrote:
> In article
> >, alzelt
> > wrote:
>

>>Janne Vuorinen wrote:
>>

>>>I like to enjoy my herring with dark rye bread, butter and thinly sliced
>>>onion. Sometimes I add some slices of cold boiled potatoes too.
>>>Simple is beautiful
>>>
>>>I prefer "natural" herring which is not marinated but only salted.
>>>

>>Ah, now it was explained to me. You are referring to the Baltic herrings
>>which are lightly salted and used as part of a sandwich. I thought you
>>were reffering to the "basic" Icelandic herring which, when salted, is
>>inedible, until several rinses of water.
>>
>>As for me, I prefer the basic baltic herring gutted and sliced in half,
>>stuffed with dill, breaded with rye flour and fried. YUM!!

> That sounds glorious.
>
> Now if I could just find a basic Baltic herring (preferably gutted)
> around here...
>
> I'm reading about dioxin issues, though. e.g.
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3178058.stm

When the SBF moved here (Puget Sound area), we tried to find her such
herring, with no luck. Only Icelandic. Then one day while browsing in
supermarket (QFC), I saw a package of what looked like herring in a
package. I looked closely and it said bait herring. Not for human
consumption.

I called the company listed and found out that it is labeled not for
human consumption only because they did not want the extra steps
involved, but that they caught the herring(Baltic herring size) and put
them in pens. Then they flash froze them.

So, for large sum of money ($10), he scooped out 20 pounds of live
herring and put them in my cooler, while they were still swimming. We
took them home, scaled and gutted them. Half the SBF salted in a big
bucket (for later use in various delicious herring recipes). The other
half she froze for use in herring sandwiches.

So, the bottom line is to find someone who sells bait herring in your
area (if it is on the coast) and make a deal.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Jack B

In article >,
alzelt > wrote:

> Jack B wrote:
> > In article
> > >, alzelt
> > > wrote:
> >
> > Now if I could just find a basic Baltic herring (preferably gutted)
> > around here...
> >

> When the SBF moved here (Puget Sound area), we tried to find her such
> herring, with no luck. Only Icelandic. Then one day while browsing in
> supermarket (QFC), I saw a package of what looked like herring in a
> package. I looked closely and it said bait herring. Not for human
> consumption.
>
> I called the company listed and found out that it is labeled not for
> human consumption only because they did not want the extra steps
> involved, but that they caught the herring(Baltic herring size) and put
> them in pens. Then they flash froze them.
>
> So, for large sum of money ($10), he scooped out 20 pounds of live
> herring and put them in my cooler, while they were still swimming. We
> took them home, scaled and gutted them. Half the SBF salted in a big
> bucket (for later use in various delicious herring recipes). The other
> half she froze for use in herring sandwiches.
>
> So, the bottom line is to find someone who sells bait herring in your
> area (if it is on the coast) and make a deal.

Hmm... mid-continent here. Near the dear jamlady.

But I have an idea about where to get these fish...

And if jacqui comes through with a recipe or a few, perhaps there is
hope.

....but... just a second... awshit the Yankees won.

--
Jack
jacqui{JB}

"Jack B" > wrote in message
news:161020031845147256%spam@jackatbohnhoffdotcom. spam...

> > Good recipes for herring can be found he
> > http://www.sildesiden.dk/ -- I'll be happy to
> > help you translate.

> Oh, lots of sild there!
>
> Janne Vuorinen and you have both mentioned
> salted herring.
>
> That sounds good. Is there a recipe for that sort
> of herring at sildesiden.dk (somewhere in the "Salt
> sild" pages)? Or is it something I should be able to
> just buy somewhere?

I suppose you might be able to purchase salted herring, although I've
not gone looking for it; I've only had it in one particular restaurant
(the restaurant in the basement of the Workers' Museum in
Copenhagen -- a good side-trip for anyone in the area). However, I
did post a recipe for salted herring from the above-site to
rec.food.preserving back in February, which follows:

*****

10 kg. Friske sild (10 kilograms fresh herring)
4 kg. Salt (4 kilograms salt)
150 g. Sukker (150 grams sugar)

Sildene skal ikke renses man kan dog gnide dem rene for skæl. Salt og
sukker blandes sammen og der kommes et tyndt lag i bunden af den
krukke eller spand de skal saltes i. Læg herefter et lag sild
skiftevis med et lag salt og på toppen kommes det sidste salt. Der
skal så lægges et let pres på sildene så de bliver helt dækket af den
lage der kommer efter et døgns tid. Hvis der ikke er trukket nok lage
ud skal man spæde til med en passende saltlage så sildene er dækkede.
De skulle være færdig saltede efter ca. 1 måned ved en temperatur
mellem 0 - 9 grader.

The herring don't need to be cleaned, but they can be rubbed to remove
the scales. Blend the salt and sugar, and put a thin layer on the
bottom of a crock or bucket. Layer the herring and salt, ending with
the salt. Lightly weight the herring so it stays covered with the
brine which forms after about 24 hours. If there's not enough brine,
you can dilute until there's enough brine to cover the herring. The
herring should be ready after about a month, at a temperature of 0-9
degrees Celsius.

*****

And I understand that salted herring, as above, is the basis for
marinated herring, too.

> If there are recipes there, I would surely appreciate
> some translation.

There's something along the lines of *200* recipes there -- can you be
more specific about what kind of recipe you'd like translated? I
mean, I know I need to work on my Danish, but ... OTOH, perhaps I
should write to the guy who put up the webpage and see if he's
interested in English translations. Hmmm.

> And I've learned this evening that it is very hard
> to find a good Danish-English translator or dictionary
> on the Web.

Truer words were never spoken.
-j

Jack B

In article >, jacqui{JB}
> wrote:

> "Jack B" > wrote in message
> news:161020031845147256%spam@jackatbohnhoffdotcom. spam...
>
> > > Good recipes for herring can be found he
> > > http://www.sildesiden.dk/ -- I'll be happy to
> > > help you translate.

> > Oh, lots of sild there!

> 10 kg. Friske sild (10 kilograms fresh herring)
> 4 kg. Salt (4 kilograms salt)
> 150 g. Sukker (150 grams sugar)

So, this is not so much different from my gravlax procedure, only it
takes longer to get finished, it seems.

> There's something along the lines of *200* recipes there -- can you be
> more specific about what kind of recipe you'd like translated? I
> mean, I know I need to work on my Danish, but ... OTOH, perhaps I
> should write to the guy who put up the webpage and see if he's
> interested in English translations. Hmmm.

Ya. I saw the mass of recipes. Very cool. Very sild.

Maybe the author would be willing to translate to an eager
herring-hungry and English-speaking audience?

> > And I've learned this evening that it is very hard
> > to find a good Danish-English translator or dictionary
> > on the Web.

> Truer words were never spoken.

Yes. And now I know "friske" (thanks) But I can't find "eddike,"
"karry" and what is "spegesild?"

--
Jack
jacqui{JB}

"Jack B" > wrote in message
news:171020030052530846%spam@jackatbohnhoffdotcom. spam...

> Maybe the author would be willing to translate
> to an eager herring-hungry and English-speaking
> audience?

I didn't express my thoughts well -- I was thinking I might offer to
do it for him.

> > > And I've learned this evening that it is very
> > > hard to find a good Danish-English translator
> > > or dictionary on the Web.

> > Truer words were never spoken.

> Yes. And now I know "friske" (thanks) But I can't
> find "eddike," "karry" and what is "spegesild?"

Eddike = vinegar, karry = curry, spegesild = salt herring,
interestingly enough (and "salami" is "spegepølse" [Danes do love
their compound words] ... still, I wonder where "spege" comes from,
since I don't find it in my dictionary, nor does it appear to be the
word for salted or preserved -- more research is clearly necessary).

-j

Janne Vuorinen

In article >,
"alzelt" > wrote:

>> I prefer "natural" herring which is not marinated but only salted.
>>

> Ah, now it was explained to me. You are referring to the Baltic herrings
> which are lightly salted and used as part of a sandwich. I thought you
> were reffering to the "basic" Icelandic herring which, when salted, is
> inedible, until several rinses of water.

Actually I did mean herring, not baltic herring (which is also great,
though totally different). I just forgot to mention that salty (something
like 12% of salt) needs to be rinsed well. There is also lightly salted
(7%) version of herring available which is great as it's ready to use.

> As for me, I prefer the basic baltic herring gutted and sliced in half,
> stuffed with dill, breaded with rye flour and fried. YUM!!

Classic finnish way of preparing baltic herring

- Janne

--
Chiliä! http://www.saunalahti.fi/~thietavu