Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buck choy

Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
Can you eat it raw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melanie S" > wrote in message
> Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
> Can you eat it raw

There's no such thing as buck choy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 00:53:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"Melanie S" > wrote in message
>> Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
>> Can you eat it raw
>>

>There's no such thing as buck choy.

I take it you don't watch Chinese Westerns.

Nevertheless, _bok choy_ can be eaten raw but rarely is, it is usually
used, stem and greens, as a stir fry ingredient. It is fairly
tasteless but absorbs sauce flavors well. Baby bok choy is best. It
resembles celery but is, I believe, in the cabbage family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-25, Jed > wrote:

> Nevertheless, _bok choy_ can be eaten raw but rarely is.....

Nonsense. It's perfect for salads. It's like celery with its own
lettuce.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
> "Melanie S" wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it Can you eat it raw

> There's no such thing as buck choy.

Air head meant **** Joy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 9:00 pm, Jed > wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 00:53:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
>
> > wrote:
> >"Melanie S" > wrote in message
> >> Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
> >> Can you eat it raw

> >There's no such thing as buck choy.

> I take it you don't watch Chinese Westerns.
>
> Nevertheless, _bok choy_ can be eaten raw but rarely is, it is usually
> used, stem and greens, as a stir fry ingredient. It is fairly
> tasteless but absorbs sauce flavors well. Baby bok choy is best. It
> resembles celery but is, I believe, in the cabbage family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melanie S wrote:
> Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
> Can you eat it raw

Is buck choy bok choi/choy that costs a dollar?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melanie S" > wrote in message
> Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
> Can you eat it raw

Buck Choy? Wasn't he the famous Chinese actor who did all those western
movies?

Methinks you mean bok choy. I cut it into 4 wedges each then stir fry with
chicken, mushrooms, etc and serve over rice.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2007-08-25, Jed > wrote:
>
>> Nevertheless, _bok choy_ can be eaten raw but rarely is.....

> Nonsense. It's perfect for salads. It's like celery with its own
> lettuce.

Ha! That's funny!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melanie S" > wrote in message
> Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
> Can you eat it raw

I presume you mean Bok Choy? I normally slice it diagonally and add it to a
stir fry. It can be eaten raw, but I've never tried it that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <WKOzi.1675$zS2.820@trndny08>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Melanie S" > wrote in message
> > Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
> > Can you eat it raw

> I presume you mean Bok Choy? I normally slice it diagonally and add it to a
> stir fry. It can be eaten raw, but I've never tried it that way.

I'll sometimes steam the baby ones whole and serve as a side dish.
The larger once I'll cut into manageable chunks and do the same thing,
or use them in soups or stir fry's.

It's one of our favorite veggies actually. Nice texture and gentle
flavor.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> Melanie S wrote:
>> Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
>> Can you eat it raw

> Is buck choy bok choi/choy that costs a dollar?

I'm just an old wok hand from the Rio Grande....

Every body sing along!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melanie S" > wrote in message
> Does anybody know how to prepare this This is the first time I bough it
> Can you eat it raw

i usually have it in stir fries, but once had it in a salad with asparagus
and a french dressing and i forget what else and it was delish.

and to all those people who are telling you it is bok choy, never have i
seen a vegetable be spelled in so many different ways, one supermarket to
the next. I presume the translation from the oringal mandarin ? to english
is not as straightfoward as we might think.

enjoy, whatever it is called!

chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 25, 5:21 am, "Nina Pretty Ballerina" > wrote:

> and to all those people who are telling you it is bok choy, never have i
> seen a vegetable be spelled in so many different ways, one supermarket to
> the next. I presume the translation from the oringal mandarin ? to english
> is not as straightfoward as we might think.

Bok choy, bok choi, bok tsoi -- these are Cantonese; in Mandarin the
various names start with bai tsai -- white cabbage. At any rate,
here's a simple delicious method to cook it by itself as a side dish:

Select small plants, they're younger and more tender.
Slice to bite-sized pieces (remember that the green leaves will
shrink drastically so if you have small plants they don't really need
to be sliced).
Heat a pan or wok. When hot, swirl in 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil
and add several quarter-sized pieces of fresh ginger.
When you smell the fragrance of the ginger, toss in the bok choi
and stir to coat all of it with oil -- a minute or so.
Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar (optional, but
good).
Swirl in a little water -- 2 tablespoons or so -- to create steam,
turn the heat down to medium low.
Serve after total cooking time of about 3 minutes -- greens should
still be shiny, whites should still be crunchy.

Incidentally, what is sold as "baby bok choi" is not immature bok choi
but actually a different plant, also known as Shanghai bok choi.
Cooked the same way, very similar taste. -aem