Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Thirteen Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
Get-Together:

Thirteen entries of 20 placed.

Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too.

Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.

Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).

Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
best year for that stuff in several ways.

One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.

The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL! Dayam! Next
year!!

I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
though.

I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.

AND my White Bread was second!! Woo-woo! The White Bread Queen's was
third. All my other baking sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the
apple pie and eaten it myself if I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The
bread ribbon is "speshul" because I haven't baked a "scratch" (i.e.,
without bread machine) loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry.
.. . .

Maxine, it looks like I didn't underbake that bread after all . . .
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:
>
> Thirteen entries of 20 placed.
>
> Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
> years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
> Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too.

Once again, we can all share in your pride (and we really do!) because
your annual pilgrimage to the fair is always fun to read about. We
county fair virgins live vicariously through you

But serious question here - do your entries have to be judged against
someone else's same entry? The blackberry jam, or watermelon pickles....
apples to apples, oranges to oranges, so to speak? What if no one else
enters your <cough cough> favorite dirt chunks?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:

> Thirteen entries of 20 placed.

So, I guess that new stove is working out OK then.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-23, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Thirteen entries of 20 placed.

Big fat congrats, Barb!

> Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
> years old!);

> Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
> to be five years old at least)....

So, what's the story on all this geriatric juice?

Cherry Chipotle Relish.

You're weird. I shudder at the mere thought.

> Sister Julie's raspberries again.).

Beat by a subordinate. Oh, the shame!

> wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
> best year for that stuff in several ways.

What? No geezer corn juice?

> The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL! Dayam! Next
> year!!

I can just imagine the mental anguish. heh heh....

> I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
> though.

Uncanny!

> I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
> this year.

Oh baby, that's what I like!!

> AND my White Bread was second!! Woo-woo!

Perfect for bread, butter, n' beet sandwich.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:43:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
>Get-Together:
>
>Thirteen entries of 20 placed.
>
>Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
>years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
>Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too.
>
>Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
>to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
>The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.
>
>Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
>with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
>the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).
>
>Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
>raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
>wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
>best year for that stuff in several ways.
>
>One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.
>
>The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL! Dayam! Next
>year!!
>
>I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
>though.
>
>I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
>this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.
>

>AND my White Bread was second!! Woo-woo! The White Bread Queen's was
>third. All my other baking sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the
>apple pie and eaten it myself if I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The
>bread ribbon is "speshul" because I haven't baked a "scratch" (i.e.,
>without bread machine) loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry.
>. . .
>
>Maxine, it looks like I didn't underbake that bread after all . . .

Oh that is so impressive!!! Congratulations!!! Good Job!

Interesting that some of the juices were "aged" and they worked
perfectly! I assume you freeze them. (Great news, because I haven't
been able to use up all of my lilikoi juice from last year and it
worries me. They can now live-on in the freezer)

You must be so proud of your efforts!

aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:43:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
>Get-Together:
>
>Thirteen entries of 20 placed.

Madame, you have much of which to be proud.

Congratulations.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> > Get-Together:
> >
> > Thirteen entries of 20 placed.
> >
> > Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
> > years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
> > Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too.

> Once again, we can all share in your pride (and we really do!) because
> your annual pilgrimage to the fair is always fun to read about. We
> county fair virgins live vicariously through you
>
> But serious question here - do your entries have to be judged against
> someone else's same entry? The blackberry jam, or watermelon pickles....
> apples to apples, oranges to oranges, so to speak? What if no one else
> enters your <cough cough> favorite dirt chunks?

They are judged, I suppose, on their own merits and then ranked against
others. Re the ones you mentioned above, there were 14 blackberry jams
entered, nine watermelon pickles, and 21 jars of Pickled Boiled Dirt
Chunks. In several lots, there are very few entries. One year long
ago I entered something (don't remember the lot) and didn't receive a
placing. Bupkes. Nada. Zip. They place 1-5. Imagine my chagrin when
I found out there were four entries in the lot! Whoopsie, Barbara!
LOL!! When that happens a couple/few years in a row, they eliminate
the lot. Conversely, if, in a Misc jam lot there are, say, 14 entries
of Kiwifruit Something, they will add an individual lot for Kiwifruit
Something.

Do you begin to see why, while I am as competitive as anyone (and more
than some, probably), I do this for laughs? You think La Twerp won't
hear the story time and again about the chocolate cake this year where I
forgot to add the FLOUR? Or the time the coffeecake was a flop and I
pulled a different one from the freezer (it had been there for six weeks
at least) and it won first place? LOL!! The Minnesota State Fair is
a very big deal around here and it's just a hoot to play inside the
fence.

I'm thrilled with the third place for raspberry jam because, apart from
the misc lot, that's the single category that gets the most entries ‹ 39
this year.

I so 'cited to see how the white bread scored. The competition there is
so fierce that they award fractions of points.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:
>
> Thirteen entries of 20 placed.
>
> Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
> years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
> Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too.

<snip>

Fantastic, Barb. And you did it all during the Hot Season. I've never seen
the logic in having all that fruit come to ripeness then. Wouldn't it be
easier of everything came to ripeness in, say, October?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:
>
> Thirteen entries of 20 placed.

Congratulations!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
KW KW is offline

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:
>
> Thirteen entries of 20 placed.
>
> Five BLUE
> Three RED
> Two WHITE
> Two PINK
> One FIFTH

Way to go Ribbon Ho!

> The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL! Dayam! Next
> year!!
>
> I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
> though.

Prolly the super secret prize for Dirt Chunks :-)

> I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
> this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.

Good Luck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:19:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

<snip>

>I'm thrilled with the third place for raspberry jam because, apart from
>the misc lot, that's the single category that gets the most entries ‹ 39
>this year.
>
>I so 'cited to see how the white bread scored. The competition there is
>so fierce that they award fractions of points.

Very impressive. I enjoyed reading the report. Thank you for
sharing.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Congrats!!!

Your Cherry Chipotle Relish sounds good. I was wondering what Peach
Chipotle Relish would taste like.

Thanks for giving us all some inspiration. I may enter the Lousiana
State Fair next year. Ya never know!

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Five BLUE ribbons:

ONLY FIVE? Those judges need to eat more "Dirt Chunks" for penance...
Sheesh!

Congratulations!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:43:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.

was that the tabasco jell? you wuz robbed!

still, i bet the other jam ladies tremble when they see you
approach...

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I make your Orgasmic brownies for everyone at work, I'm always at pains
to point out that they were winners in the Minnesota state fair!
Your haul of ribbons is impressive to say the least, but the rhubarb custard
cake is still my favourite!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> Fantastic, Barb. And you did it all during the Hot Season. I've never seen
> the logic in having all that fruit come to ripeness then. Wouldn't it be
> easier of everything came to ripeness in, say, October?

I think it would be even better if everything ripened in January. The
preserving would alleviate the post-holiday blahs and heat the house at
the same time.

;-)
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lilikoi (Was The Thirteen Annual Schaller Ribbon Report)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:52:25 GMT, Puester >

>Do you actually make your own lilikoi juice? This made me smile.
>
>When we were on Kauai a few years ago we visited a shop that specialized
>in many lilikoi products, both food and cosmetic, if I remember
>correctly. I paid first and while the rest of my family continued
>shopping, I walked around outside, surprised to see barrels in the back
>of the building labeled "Lilikoi Concentrate. Product of Ecuador."
>
>I was glad I had finished shopping because the mystique was ruined for
>me. I didn't taste fresh passionfruit until this year, in Sweden. My
>husband didn't like it much because of the seeds. I thought it was
>heavenly.
>
>gloria p
>hoping to get to the Big Island soon

Yes indeed. It takes a bulging plastic grocery bag full of
lilikois to make about 3 cups of juice. I sieve out the seeds and
then freeze it. It makes great lilikoi jelly (EZ RECIPE: 3 cups
lilikoi, 1 cup water, 7.5 cups cane sugar, 1 cup liquid pectin and
boil. It makes 10-11 half pint jars.)

We recently made Lilikoi Sorbet too. SO good!

It does have a strong, yummy, fruity & aromatic taste, I think too.
Distinctive indeed.

Yes, I heard that commercial ventures buy the Lilikoi from South
America and it is shipped in big drums.Sounds disgusting, imho, too.
Lilikoi is a huge vine and you have to have the space. My neighbor
lets one crawl all over a big guava tree and gets them for me.

I wonder where Sweden gets their lilikois?

Thanks Gloria.

aloha,
Cea

roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Thirteen entries of 20 placed.
>
> Five BLUE ribbons

You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Could've got 20 blue ribbons with
hardly any effort at all, just by replacing one entry with a different
one. And now, just look at the meagre, pitiful haul!

Bubba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>I was glad I had finished shopping because the mystique was ruined for
>>me. I didn't taste fresh passionfruit until this year, in Sweden. My
>>husband didn't like it much because of the seeds. I thought it was
>>heavenly.
>>
>>gloria p

The first day we moved into our house in Kailua, Oahu, my neighbor brought
me a 1/2 gallon of prepared from her own tree passion fruit juice. She said
that if I liked it I could pick all I wanted. (The neighbor on the other
side brought me a boat-load full of pumelos, same thing.)

People in Hawaii -- wonderful! Like no where else I've ever lived.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:27:18 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>>>I was glad I had finished shopping because the mystique was ruined for
>>>me. I didn't taste fresh passionfruit until this year, in Sweden. My
>>>husband didn't like it much because of the seeds. I thought it was
>>>heavenly.
>>>
>>>gloria p

>The first day we moved into our house in Kailua, Oahu, my neighbor brought
>me a 1/2 gallon of prepared from her own tree passion fruit juice. She said
>that if I liked it I could pick all I wanted. (The neighbor on the other
>side brought me a boat-load full of pumelos, same thing.)
>
>People in Hawaii -- wonderful! Like no where else I've ever lived.
>Dee Dee

Lucky you! Good pomelo (aka pamplemousse) is great if you have a
tasty tree. Some are divine. They are always so easy to peel and you
get so much fruit from just one.

aloha,
Cea
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
Strangely
> enough, pamplemousse is the French word for grapefruit....just to
> complicate matters!
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Two words: "Those French!"
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:43:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

> >One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.
> >

> was that the tabasco jell? you wuz robbed!
>
> still, i bet the other jam ladies tremble when they see you
> approach...
>
> your pal,
> blake

It'was the Tabasco jelly, Blake. Thanks a lot for the recipe. I don't
know about trembling, but I'm pretty sure at least a couple would like
to have had me on that bridge a couple weeks ago. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-08-23, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Thirteen entries of 20 placed.

> Big fat congrats, Barb!

Thanks, nb.

> > Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
> > years old!);

> > Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
> > to be five years old at least)....

> So, what's the story on all this geriatric juice?

I make my crab apple jelly from Dolgo crabapple juice. It's not very
commonly sold around here, but I know a guy. . . . When i extract the
juice, I use some and freeze some.

The plum juice. <sigh> I have a dying plum tree (to which I have a
deep emotional attachment) and the last couple years I've had either no
or almost no fruit from it. Some years back, though, I had ample.
Because the fruit *usually* ripens after the Fair starts, I freeze the
juice and make the jelly fresh for the Fair rather than making the jelly
from the fresh juice and entering a year-old jar of jelly. One year,
I had enough juice from the tree for 120 jars of jelly (not made all at
one time, please). This year, I will have at least that much. So far,
I've got juice frozen for 90 jars. There's still a lot of fruit on the
tree.

> Cherry Chipotle Relish.
>
> You're weird. I shudder at the mere thought.

Oh, honey, it sucks to be you. This is *fine* stuff.

> > Sister Julie's raspberries again.).

> Beat by a subordinate. Oh, the shame!

Huh? Julie's my sister; I get my raspberries from her.

> > wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
> > best year for that stuff in several ways.

> What? No geezer corn juice?

I had a TV cameraman in my kitchen a month ago when I was getting the
corn relish ready to enter. I chose that to make while they were here
because I've had a LOT of success (read ribbonality) with that and thus
had some reason to believe it could win something so I wouldn't look
stoopid and be embarrassed when they run the clip. Did I mention that
it was the worst corn relish I've ever made? Ever. I opened and threw
the contents of all the jars next morning. Ech! And when I made the
new batch to enter, it wasn't all that swell and I've been thinking I
would look stoopid and embarrassed after all. Fortunately, it got
beribboned and I don't look any stupider than usual.

> > The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL! Dayam! Next
> > year!!

> I can just imagine the mental anguish. heh heh....

No, serious! I've decided that *that's* the ribbon I want. ANY color,
just so's I can say I got a ribbon for this crap I wouldn't dream of
eating but know how to do well.

> > I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
> > though.

> Uncanny!

Yuk, yuk. As opposed to yuck, yuck.

> > I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
> > this year.

> Oh baby, that's what I like!!

Yeah, I'll like it, too. I gotta study the numbers (wanna do it for me?
The results are online) and figure it out. If I win, I'll go the Fair
on Saturday to be there when they make The Announcement. If I don't,
I'll stay home and sleep or something.

> > AND my White Bread was second!! Woo-woo!

> Perfect for bread, butter, n' beet sandwich.
>
> nb

You really ARE a prevert, nb. Sick sumbitch.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:19:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
> >I'm thrilled with the third place for raspberry jam because, apart from
> >the misc lot, that's the single category that gets the most entries ‹ 39
> >this year.
> >
> >I so 'cited to see how the white bread scored. The competition there is
> >so fierce that they award fractions of points.

> Very impressive. I enjoyed reading the report. Thank you for
> sharing.
>
> Lou

Bless your heart, Lou. Thanks for your nice words.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:43:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
>Get-Together:
>
>Thirteen entries of 20 placed.

<snip>

Congrats, Barb. Every summer I envision you slaving away in the
Minnesota heat and humidty over boiling canning pots. <head shaking>
My hat's off to you, girlie.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-24, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> You have to put more HEART into them! You're willing them to
> fail. Beets have feelings, too.

LOL....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:43:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
>Get-Together:
>
>Thirteen entries of 20 placed.
>
>Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
>years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
>Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too.
>
>Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
>to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
>The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.
>
>Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
>with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
>the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).
>
>Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
>raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
>wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
>best year for that stuff in several ways.
>
>One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.
>
>The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL! Dayam! Next
>year!!
>
>I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
>though.
>
>I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
>this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.
>

>AND my White Bread was second!! Woo-woo! The White Bread Queen's was
>third. All my other baking sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the
>apple pie and eaten it myself if I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The
>bread ribbon is "speshul" because I haven't baked a "scratch" (i.e.,
>without bread machine) loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry.
>. . .
>
>Maxine, it looks like I didn't underbake that bread after all . . .

Congratulations! I thought I saw a trend.... aged ingredients, but
then you went and messed it up. Maybe that's what your pickles needed
- a little age. Sorry about that pepper jelly (I love
sweet/sour/hot). Better luck next time! All in all, I think you did
ok. The Big Bopper award may be yours after all.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:
>
> Thirteen entries of 20 placed.
>
> Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
> years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
> Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too.
>
> Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
> to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
> The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.
>
> Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
> with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
> the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).
>
> Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
> raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
> wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
> best year for that stuff in several ways.
>
> One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.
>
> The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL! Dayam! Next
> year!!
>
> I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
> though.
>
> I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
> this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.
>

> AND my White Bread was second!! Woo-woo! The White Bread Queen's was
> third. All my other baking sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the
> apple pie and eaten it myself if I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The
> bread ribbon is "speshul" because I haven't baked a "scratch" (i.e.,
> without bread machine) loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry.
> . . .
>
> Maxine, it looks like I didn't underbake that bread after all . . .
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

Congratulations, Barb! I wish I could have been there to see it all. Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:43:40 GMT, "Michael \"DawgThree\""
> wrote:

>margaret suran > dropped this
: in rec.food.cooking

>> Barbara, I am so darned proud of you, I cannot find the words to tell
>> you how much so. )

>I'm really happy for her but I heard some gossip about her from my sources
>inside the fair. Barb apparently was fined a very heft sum of loot for
>eating ALL of the cotton candy this year

that itself would deserve a ribbon.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-24, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>> Beat by a subordinate. Oh, the shame!

> Huh? Julie's my sister; I get my raspberries from her.

I thought you meant a sister in that HOSSwhatever thingie. See?
....subordinate ....mother superi..... ah, forget it

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:43:40 GMT, "Michael \"DawgThree\""
> > wrote:

> >I'm really happy for her but I heard some gossip about her from my sources
> >inside the fair. Barb apparently was fined a very heft sum of loot for
> >eating ALL of the cotton candy this year

> that itself would deserve a ribbon.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Heh! It rained yesterday here (and at the Fairgrounds) and I was
wondering how the cotton candy spinners were holding up with all that
humidity. Ick.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-08-24, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> >> Beat by a subordinate. Oh, the shame!

> > Huh? Julie's my sister; I get my raspberries from her.

> I thought you meant a sister in that HOSSwhatever thingie. See?
> ...subordinate ....mother superi..... ah, forget it
>
> nb

Forget what? "-o)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-24, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Forget what? "-o)

....and just what the heck is that emoticon of yours? ....a
squinty-eyed koi with a double chin? ....sinking channel bouy?
.....lost MN Indian tribe cave painting? ...What!!?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-08-24, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Forget what? "-o)

> ...and just what the heck is that emoticon of yours? ....a
> squinty-eyed koi with a double chin? ....sinking channel bouy?
> ....lost MN Indian tribe cave painting? ...What!!?

This part looks like a skeleton key: "-o

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-24, Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> This part looks like a skeleton key: "-o

....or a squinty-eyed tiki god.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-24, notbob > wrote:

>> This part looks like a skeleton key: "-o

> ...or a squinty-eyed tiki god.

....or maybe a one-eyed virgin about to give her first hummer.

nb