FoodBanter.com

-   -   Mirro pressure canner (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/132811-mirro-pressure-canner.html)

Susan Hogarth 22-08-2007 03:04 AM

Mirro pressure canner

My husband and I bought a Mirro a couple of months ago and just
started working on canning with it (100+ tomato plants!!!). We are
having an issue, though, that the release valve doesn't seem to 'rock'
the way it is described in the manual, but instead does nothing for a
minute or two then vents for 5-10 seconds continuously. We thought
this was a defect, but this review on epinions talks about Mirro's
service line saying this is normal:

http://www.epinions.com/content_400848686724

" The product must have changed since the other reviewers bought it.
The instructions tell when to start timing the processing: "When
control jiggles vigorously, reduce heat so that control rocks or
jiggles gently."
Guess what? The control has been changed so that it does not rock or
jiggle at all.

The instructions have not been updated. I found this out doing a test
run. When the control would not move in the least bit, I called the
customer service number listed. The tech told me, "Oh yeah, it doesn't
rock, it just hisses. The instructions are wrong. Sorry about that." "

I am going to call Mirro tomorrow, but is there any insight into this?
Thanks!

- Susan

Susan Hogarth 22-08-2007 03:06 AM

Mirro pressure canner

On Aug 21, 10:04 pm, Susan Hogarth > wrote:
> My husband and I bought a Mirro a couple of months ago and just
> started working on canning with it (100+ tomato plants!!!). We are
> having an issue, though, that the release valve doesn't seem to 'rock'
> the way it is described in the manual, but instead does nothing for a
> minute or two then vents for 5-10 seconds continuously. We thought
> this was a defect, but this review on epinions talks about Mirro's
> service line saying this is normal:
>
> http://www.epinions.com/content_400848686724
>
> " The product must have changed since the other reviewers bought it.
> The instructions tell when to start timing the processing: "When
> control jiggles vigorously, reduce heat so that control rocks or
> jiggles gently."
> Guess what? The control has been changed so that it does not rock or
> jiggle at all.
>
> The instructions have not been updated. I found this out doing a test
> run. When the control would not move in the least bit, I called the
> customer service number listed. The tech told me, "Oh yeah, it doesn't
> rock, it just hisses. The instructions are wrong. Sorry about that." "
>
> I am going to call Mirro tomorrow, but is there any insight into this?
> Thanks!

Additional note: sometimes the 'rocker' just pops right off! That's
not cool!

- Susan

Sherry[_2_] 22-08-2007 05:00 AM

Mirro pressure canner

On Aug 21, 9:04 pm, Susan Hogarth > wrote:
> My husband and I bought a Mirro a couple of months ago and just
> started working on canning with it (100+ tomato plants!!!). We are
> having an issue, though, that the release valve doesn't seem to 'rock'
> the way it is described in the manual, but instead does nothing for a
> minute or two then vents for 5-10 seconds continuously. We thought
> this was a defect, but this review on epinions talks about Mirro's
> service line saying this is normal:
>
> http://www.epinions.com/content_400848686724
>
> " The product must have changed since the other reviewers bought it.
> The instructions tell when to start timing the processing: "When
> control jiggles vigorously, reduce heat so that control rocks or
> jiggles gently."
> Guess what? The control has been changed so that it does not rock or
> jiggle at all.
>
> The instructions have not been updated. I found this out doing a test
> run. When the control would not move in the least bit, I called the
> customer service number listed. The tech told me, "Oh yeah, it doesn't
> rock, it just hisses. The instructions are wrong. Sorry about that." "
>
> I am going to call Mirro tomorrow, but is there any insight into this?
> Thanks!
>
> - Susan

(de-lurking)
That sounds about how my older Mirro behaves. As long as it "hisses"--
and you know
it is releasing steam--it's probably okay. However, pressure canners
aren't something
to mess around with, so you definitely want to be sure. If you have a
county extension
agency at your county courthouse, they usually have someone who will
check out
pressure canners for free. (plus, they have lots of good literature
food preservation).
HOpe you get the issue resolved with Mirro to your satisfaction for
your own peace of mind
& safety though.
It's a sombering thought when you realize that for anyone to operate
any steam machinery that
holds 15 pounds of pressure must hold a boiler's license. I think
about that everytime I see the
needle start creeping up anywhere close to the "15" on the dial.

Sherry

Melba's Jammin' 22-08-2007 05:30 AM

Mirro pressure canner

What a ****poor explanation. Be nice when you ream them out, though.
Shame on them! You might inquire at rec.food.preserving.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

Melba's Jammin' 22-08-2007 05:32 AM

Mirro pressure canner

In article om>,
Sherry > wrote:

> On Aug 21, 9:04 pm, Susan Hogarth > wrote:
> > My husband and I bought a Mirro a couple of months ago and just
> > started working on canning with it (100+ tomato plants!!!). We are
> > having an issue, though, that the release valve doesn't seem to 'rock'
> > the way it is described in the manual, but instead does nothing for a
> > minute or two then vents for 5-10 seconds continuously. We thought
> > this was a defect, but this review on epinions talks about Mirro's
> > service line saying this is normal:
> >
> > http://www.epinions.com/content_400848686724
> >
> > " The product must have changed since the other reviewers bought it.
> > The instructions tell when to start timing the processing: "When
> > control jiggles vigorously, reduce heat so that control rocks or
> > jiggles gently."
> > Guess what? The control has been changed so that it does not rock or
> > jiggle at all.
> >
> > The instructions have not been updated. I found this out doing a test
> > run. When the control would not move in the least bit, I called the
> > customer service number listed. The tech told me, "Oh yeah, it doesn't
> > rock, it just hisses. The instructions are wrong. Sorry about that." "
> >
> > I am going to call Mirro tomorrow, but is there any insight into this?
> > Thanks!
> >
> > - Susan

> (de-lurking) That sounds about how my older Mirro behaves. As long as
> it "hisses"-- and you know it is releasing steam--it's probably okay.
> However, pressure canners aren't something to mess around with, so
> you definitely want to be sure. If you have a county extension agency
> at your county courthouse, they usually have someone who will check
> out pressure canners for free. (plus, they have lots of good
> literature food preservation). HOpe you get the issue resolved
> with Mirro to your satisfaction for your own peace of mind & safety
> though. It's a sombering thought when you realize that for anyone to
> operate any steam machinery that holds 15 pounds of pressure must
> hold a boiler's license. I think about that everytime I see the
> needle start creeping up anywhere close to the "15" on the dial.
>

> Sherry

The Mirro has a weighted gauge rather than a dial, I think. Mine does.
Adjustable for 5-10-15psi. My Presto (fixed at 15psi and a cooker
rather than a canner) will jiggle. Haven't used the Mirro in many years.

zxcvbob 22-08-2007 07:00 AM

Mirro pressure canner

Susan Hogarth wrote:
> My husband and I bought a Mirro a couple of months ago and just
> started working on canning with it (100+ tomato plants!!!). We are
> having an issue, though, that the release valve doesn't seem to 'rock'
> the way it is described in the manual, but instead does nothing for a
> minute or two then vents for 5-10 seconds continuously. We thought
> this was a defect, but this review on epinions talks about Mirro's
> service line saying this is normal:
>
> http://www.epinions.com/content_400848686724
>
> " The product must have changed since the other reviewers bought it.
> The instructions tell when to start timing the processing: "When
> control jiggles vigorously, reduce heat so that control rocks or
> jiggles gently."
> Guess what? The control has been changed so that it does not rock or
> jiggle at all.
>
> The instructions have not been updated. I found this out doing a test
> run. When the control would not move in the least bit, I called the
> customer service number listed. The tech told me, "Oh yeah, it doesn't
> rock, it just hisses. The instructions are wrong. Sorry about that." "
>
> I am going to call Mirro tomorrow, but is there any insight into this?
> Thanks!
>
> - Susan

I have a couple of old Mirro canners (a big and a little one), and a new
Presto. The Presto jiggles and the Mirros just hiss. Make sure your
stove is good and level, and turn the heat down once it starts so the
5-10-15 regulator disk doesn't hiss constantly (because it might jump up
too high and get stuck briefly, and you don't want the pressure to
fluctuate that much)

I actually like the Mirro canners better, but the hissing scares The
Wife*, and if I use the Presto at 10 or 11 pounds rather than 15 it is
silent -- I just have to keep my eye on the gauge. Since I do most of
my canning late at night, that was my excuse for buying the Presto --
plus it was on clearance sale so cheap it was hard to pass it up.

HTH, :-)
Bob

--
*gratuitous reference to upset Sheldon

Susan Hogarth 22-08-2007 03:38 PM

Mirro pressure canner

UPDATE! See below!

On Aug 21, 10:04 pm, Susan Hogarth > wrote:
> My husband and I bought a Mirro a couple of months ago and just
> started working on canning with it (100+ tomato plants!!!). We are
> having an issue, though, that the release valve doesn't seem to 'rock'
> the way it is described in the manual, but instead does nothing for a
> minute or two then vents for 5-10 seconds continuously. We thought
> this was a defect, but this review on epinions talks about Mirro's
> service line saying this is normal:
>
> http://www.epinions.com/content_400848686724
>
> " The product must have changed since the other reviewers bought it.
> The instructions tell when to start timing the processing: "When
> control jiggles vigorously, reduce heat so that control rocks or
> jiggles gently."
> Guess what? The control has been changed so that it does not rock or
> jiggle at all.
>
> The instructions have not been updated. I found this out doing a test
> run. When the control would not move in the least bit, I called the
> customer service number listed. The tech told me, "Oh yeah, it doesn't
> rock, it just hisses. The instructions are wrong. Sorry about that." "
>
> I am going to call Mirro tomorrow, but is there any insight into this?

Thanks for all the advice. I finally tracked down - through a series
of calls - the fact that Wearever now owns the Mirro line. They have a
FAQ that includes this question, which I discovered while waiting on
hold:

http://prod.wearever.com/wearever/consumerinfo/faq.htm

and this is adressed:

"Why doesn't the pressure control on my cooker/canner "jiggle" as
indicated in the Instruction Manual?
With the older models the pressure control did "jiggle" when the
cooker/canner came up to pressure. With the newer models, the pressure
control will make a "hissing" sound and emit a great deal of steam
when it comes up to pressure."

and when I got through to the tech support person, they basically
confirmed this.

So I guess the guy on epinions was correct. The only new info I can
add is to call Wearever when you need Mirro tech support :)

I feel more confident now. Thanks, all!

- Susan

[email protected] 28-08-2014 07:20 PM

Mirro pressure canner

I just bought a mirro p. canner and all it would do is hiss. Thank you for this info, I now feel better that I'm not going to provision myself. I wish they would update their info

Melba's Jammin' 28-08-2014 11:18 PM

Mirro pressure canner

On 2014-08-28 18:20:01 +0000, said:

> I just bought a mirro p. canner and all it would do is hiss. Thank you
> for this info, I now feel better that I'm not going to provision
> myself. I wish they would update their info

If it is hissing all the time, sounds like you have the heat up too
high. That has a weighted gauge, doesn't it? Ask on r.f.preserving.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Ophelia[_11_] 28-08-2014 11:24 PM

Mirro pressure canner

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> On 2014-08-28 18:20:01 +0000, said:
>
>> I just bought a mirro p. canner and all it would do is hiss. Thank you
>> for this info, I now feel better that I'm not going to provision myself.
>> I wish they would update their info

> If it is hissing all the time, sounds like you have the heat up too high.
> That has a weighted gauge, doesn't it? Ask on r.f.preserving.

Barb, is that group still active? I read but there has been no activity
since August that I can see.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Melba's Jammin' 29-08-2014 03:48 PM

Mirro pressure canner

On 2014-08-28 22:24:35 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> On 2014-08-28 18:20:01 +0000, said:
>>
>>> I just bought a mirro p. canner and all it would do is hiss. Thank you
>>> for this info, I now feel better that I'm not going to provision
>>> myself. I wish they would update their info

>> If it is hissing all the time, sounds like you have the heat up too
>> high. That has a weighted gauge, doesn't it? Ask on r.f.preserving.

> Barb, is that group still active? I read but there has been no
> activity since August that I can see.

Rather small, I think. George Shirley keeps it going. There are other
resources online that are easier to access, but I don't trust the
information, oddly, as much as I trust what goes on on r.f.p. Most
people are clueless about Usenet. More's the pity. :-(

zxcvbob 29-08-2014 03:56 PM

Mirro pressure canner

wrote:
> I just bought a mirro p. canner and all it would do is hiss. Thank you for this info, I now feel better that I'm not going to provision myself. I wish they would update their info

Where is it hissing? At the handle, or the at jiggler on top?

Bob

Ophelia[_11_] 29-08-2014 04:23 PM

Mirro pressure canner

> On 2014-08-28 22:24:35 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> If it is hissing all the time, sounds like you have the heat up too
>>> high. That has a weighted gauge, doesn't it? Ask on r.f.preserving.

>> Barb, is that group still active? I read but there has been no activity
>> since August that I can see.

> Rather small, I think. George Shirley keeps it going. There are other
> resources online that are easier to access, but I don't trust the
> information, oddly, as much as I trust what goes on on r.f.p. Most
> people are clueless about Usenet. More's the pity. :-(

Oh! That is a shame:(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Janet Bostwick 29-08-2014 04:30 PM

Mirro pressure canner

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:18:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>On 2014-08-28 18:20:01 +0000, said:
>
>> I just bought a mirro p. canner and all it would do is hiss. Thank you
>> for this info, I now feel better that I'm not going to provision
>> myself. I wish they would update their info

>If it is hissing all the time, sounds like you have the heat up too
>high. That has a weighted gauge, doesn't it? Ask on r.f.preserving.
>--

I have a Mirro pressure canner. Yes, it will hiss all the time if the
heat is turned too high. Yes, it has a weighed gauge.
Janet US