Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Word to the Wise

Tomorrow morning I will deliver my baked entries to the Nice Ladies at
the Minnesota State Fair fairgrounds.

In theory, I will enter a chocolate Bundt cake, an apple pie, a mixed
berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies, PB cookies, CC
cookies, and fruit muffins.

I started with the chocolate cake first. It's an interesting recipe
(one year it placed second or third or something) and I decided to enter
it again. I mixed the batter and poured it carefully into my greased
and floured Bundt pan. Oven on, pan in, at about 20 minutes it had
risen to the top of the pan. I did not open the oven. At about 24
minutes I looked again and it had fallen and was sort of boiling. At 35
minutes I opened the oven to let the smoke out and to empty the damned
pan (with stuck on baked chocolate batter) and put the remover stuff on
it to soak. I'm not wanting to scratch this pan, OK?

As I re-read the recipe and re-played the making, I realized I likely
would not have had this problem if I had put the flour in the batter.
And, no, I didn't miss it because it is a thin batter when it goes into
the pan.

A word to the wise.

Now, back to kneading the bread dough and making pie dough.

Light a bonfire.

It's cold and raining. I love it!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Plum jelly from the beginning
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

<snip>

> In theory, I will enter a chocolate Bundt cake, an apple pie, a mixed
> berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies, PB cookies, CC
> cookies, and fruit muffins.

Almost afraid to ask - but what's the difference between "girl brownies"
and "boy brownies"?

<snip>

> As I re-read the recipe and re-played the making, I realized I likely
> would not have had this problem if I had put the flour in the batter.
> And, no, I didn't miss it because it is a thin batter when it goes into
> the pan.

LOL! At least you knew where the batter was. I lost some leftover chicken
this week, or was it last week?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> ChattyCathy > wrote in news:GrGxi.3978$5v1.790
> @fe101.usenetserver.com:
>
>> but what's the difference between "girl brownies"
>> and "boy brownies"?
>>

> nuts.

I knew I shouldn't have asked LOL!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in news:GrGxi.3978$5v1.790
@fe101.usenetserver.com:

> but what's the difference between "girl brownies"
> and "boy brownies"?

nuts.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:35:53 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Tomorrow morning I will deliver my baked entries to the Nice Ladies at
>the Minnesota State Fair fairgrounds.
>
>In theory, I will enter a chocolate Bundt? cake, an apple pie, a mixed
>berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies, PB cookies, CC
>cookies, and fruit muffins.
>
>I started with the chocolate cake first. It's an interesting recipe
>(one year it placed second or third or something) and I decided to enter
>it again. I mixed the batter and poured it carefully into my greased
>and floured Bundt? pan. Oven on, pan in, at about 20 minutes it had
>risen to the top of the pan. I did not open the oven. At about 24
>minutes I looked again and it had fallen and was sort of boiling. At 35
>minutes I opened the oven to let the smoke out and to empty the damned
>pan (with stuck on baked chocolate batter) and put the remover stuff on
>it to soak. I'm not wanting to scratch this pan, OK?
>
>As I re-read the recipe and re-played the making, I realized I likely
>would not have had this problem if I had put the flour in the batter.
>And, no, I didn't miss it because it is a thin batter when it goes into
>the pan.
>
>A word to the wise.

It isn't wisdom that makes me do things like that. It's pure and
simple brain-rot. Oh,the kitchen mistake fun I have had!

>Now, back to kneading the bread dough and making pie dough.

Perfect! Those take flour, too and I bet don't forget it, either.

>Light a bonfire.
>
>It's cold and raining. I love it!

It was so chilly here this morning, that I had to dig around and find
some sweats and fuzzy socks..

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> ChattyCathy > wrote in news:GrGxi.3978$5v1.790
> @fe101.usenetserver.com:
>
> > but what's the difference between "girl brownies"
> > and "boy brownies"?
> >

> nuts.

I'm thinking the boy brownies will be a variation on what I've usually
entered, as the Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies were.

The Bundt pan cleaned up nicely and the cake is in the oven and it's
lookin' good. Jeez, what a twit.

Butter and Crisco are in fridge and freezer respectively for the pie
dough. When the dough's made, I'll make the apple filling. By the time
the pie's done the bread ought to be nearly ready for the oven.

Brownies late tonight (if I'm sober) and muffins early tomorrow morning.

We're going out this evening and I'll do some of the prep in advance so
I won't have to think too hard. . . .

Cookies may fall away. We'll see.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Plum jelly from the beginning
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> hahabogus wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy > wrote in news:GrGxi.3978$5v1.790
>> @fe101.usenetserver.com:
>>
>>> but what's the difference between "girl brownies"
>>> and "boy brownies"?

>> nuts.
>>

> I knew I shouldn't have asked LOL!

But the rest of us are glad you did!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Tomorrow morning I will deliver my baked entries to the Nice Ladies at
> the Minnesota State Fair fairgrounds.
>
> In theory, I will enter a chocolate Bundt cake, an apple pie, a mixed
> berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies, PB cookies, CC
> cookies, and fruit muffins.
>
> I started with the chocolate cake first. It's an interesting recipe
> (one year it placed second or third or something) and I decided to
> enter it again. I mixed the batter and poured it carefully into my
> greased and floured Bundt pan. Oven on, pan in, at about 20 minutes
> it had risen to the top of the pan. I did not open the oven. At
> about 24 minutes I looked again and it had fallen and was sort of
> boiling. At 35 minutes I opened the oven to let the smoke out and to
> empty the damned pan (with stuck on baked chocolate batter) and put
> the remover stuff on it to soak. I'm not wanting to scratch this
> pan, OK?
>
> As I re-read the recipe and re-played the making, I realized I likely
> would not have had this problem if I had put the flour in the batter.
> And, no, I didn't miss it because it is a thin batter when it goes
> into the pan.

LOLOL oh sorry Barb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> A word to the wise.
>
> Now, back to kneading the bread dough and making pie dough.
>
> Light a bonfire.
>
> It's cold and raining. I love it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > As I re-read the recipe and re-played the making, I realized I likely
> > would not have had this problem if I had put the flour in the batter.
> > And, no, I didn't miss it because it is a thin batter when it goes
> > into the pan.

> LOLOL oh sorry Barb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second one looks and tastes great! Heh!
Thank Alex the stench of burned chocolate has dissipated. JAYzuzz!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Plum jelly from the beginning
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:35:53 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >A word to the wise.

> It isn't wisdom that makes me do things like that. It's pure and
> simple brain-rot. Oh,the kitchen mistake fun I have had!
> >
> >Now, back to kneading the bread dough and making pie dough.

> Perfect! Those take flour, too and I bet don't forget it, either.
> >
> >Light a bonfire.
> >
> >It's cold and raining. I love it!

> It was so chilly here this morning, that I had to dig around and find
> some sweats and fuzzy socks..
>

> Boron

I love being cold in August. It's 58 degrees. Hoo-yah!
Gonna assemble the apple pie now.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Plum jelly from the beginning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Tomorrow morning I will deliver my baked entries to the Nice Ladies at
> the Minnesota State Fair fairgrounds.
>
> In theory, I will enter a chocolate Bundt cake, an apple pie, a mixed
> berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies, PB cookies, CC
> cookies, and fruit muffins.
>
> I started with the chocolate cake first. It's an interesting recipe
> (one year it placed second or third or something) and I decided to enter
> it again. I mixed the batter and poured it carefully into my greased
> and floured Bundt pan. Oven on, pan in, at about 20 minutes it had
> risen to the top of the pan. I did not open the oven. At about 24
> minutes I looked again and it had fallen and was sort of boiling. At 35
> minutes I opened the oven to let the smoke out and to empty the damned
> pan (with stuck on baked chocolate batter) and put the remover stuff on
> it to soak. I'm not wanting to scratch this pan, OK?
>
> As I re-read the recipe and re-played the making, I realized I likely
> would not have had this problem if I had put the flour in the batter.
> And, no, I didn't miss it because it is a thin batter when it goes into
> the pan.
>
> A word to the wise.
>
> Now, back to kneading the bread dough and making pie dough.
>
> Light a bonfire.
>
> It's cold and raining. I love it!
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Plum jelly from the beginning

I once made a cheesecake in a hurry and managed to leave out the sugar.
I tried eating it in thin slices with a sweet topping, but even that
couldn't save it.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> As I re-read the recipe and re-played the making, I realized I likely
> would not have had this problem if I had put the flour in the batter.
> And, no, I didn't miss it because it is a thin batter when it goes into
> the pan.

(laugh!) Watch out, that sounds scarily like something I would do.

> It's cold and raining. I love it!

I hear ya. It was 56 when I woke up this morning.
Sure beats waking up to 76 and air conditioning. We got
wicked lightning storms last night, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Tomorrow morning I will deliver my baked entries to the Nice Ladies at
> the Minnesota State Fair fairgrounds.
>
> In theory, I will enter a chocolate Bundt cake, an apple pie, a mixed
> berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies, PB cookies, CC
> cookies, and fruit muffins.

You are SUCH an overachiever! How many jams/pickles did you enter this
year?

> I started with the chocolate cake first. I

> As I re-read the recipe and re-played the making, I realized I likely
> would not have had this problem if I had put the flour in the batter.
> And, no, I didn't miss it because it is a thin batter when it goes into
> the pan.

Dang, that's frustrating. It happens when you have too much on your
mind. (I've made three batches of (bought) apricot jam this year and
every time I have forgotten to add the dried apricots (OK, once I just
couldn't find the pkg.)

As always, "choose Melba's" and blue ribbon vibes heading to the Nice
Ladies on your behalf.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 13:45:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I'm thinking the boy brownies will be a variation on what I've usually
>entered, as the Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies were.

I they have cherries, they are girl brownies.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Puester > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Tomorrow morning I will deliver my baked entries to the Nice Ladies at
> > the Minnesota State Fair fairgrounds.
> >
> > In theory, I will enter a chocolate Bundt? cake, an apple pie, a mixed
> > berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies, PB cookies, CC
> > cookies, and fruit muffins.

> You are SUCH an overachiever! How many jams/pickles did you enter this
> year?

Twenty. The max for canning. Jams, jellies, pickles, relishes,
vegetables. I think the only category I didn't do was fruit -- one of
my jars of apricots didn't seal so I scratched that.

Anny Middon calls us ribbon whores. We decided we're ribbon sluts
because there's not much money in it. . . .

> Dang, that's frustrating. It happens when you have too much on your
> mind. (I've made three batches of (bought) apricot jam this year and
> every time I have forgotten to add the dried apricots (OK, once I just
> couldn't find the pkg.)

Hell of it is that I was paying such close attention to other parts of
it all. Whisking, blahblahblah. But you're right; I've a lot on my
mind.

> As always, "choose Melba's" and blue ribbon vibes heading to the Nice
> Ladies on your behalf.

Thanks. The apple pie looks pretty darned good. Lola better watch her
back. (Lola Nebel, Pie Queen of the Fair.) I'm not holding my breath
or anything ‹ I make a fine apple pie and I've never entered the lot
before. Her Raspberry Pear Pie went for $250 at the Foundation auction
on Thursday night. My basket of canned goods went for the same. Joe
Soucheray, local radio-newspaper guy bought it and said we'll auction it
off on the day that I'm with him at the Fair. BTW, Lola is a lovely,
warm, and gracious woman. Rob and I sat with her and her husband at the
soiree Thursday evening.

We've a birthday party to attend an hour away tonight. The cookies are
looking more and more like a no-show.

White bread is in the pans and rising.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Plum jelly from the beginning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Pete C." > wrote:
> I once made a cheesecake in a hurry and managed to leave out the sugar.
> I tried eating it in thin slices with a sweet topping, but even that
> couldn't save it.
>
> Pete C.

Reminds me of when Mom made a tuna noodle hotdish and left out the tuna.
.. . .
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Plum jelly from the beginning
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Reminds me of when Mom made a tuna noodle hotdish and left out the tuna.
> . . .

Now *that* is MY kinda tuna "hotdish"!!!
Goomba (who also would leave the tuna out...but on purpose)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-18, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies......

I'm almost afraid to ask what's the diff between "boy" and "girl"
brownies. Could it possibly be .....wait for it....... nuts!?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-18, ChattyCathy > wrote:

> I knew I shouldn't have asked LOL!

SNAP!

That'll teach me to reply before reading the whole thread.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Pete C." > wrote:
>> I once made a cheesecake in a hurry and managed to leave out the sugar.
>> I tried eating it in thin slices with a sweet topping, but even that
>> couldn't save it.
>>
>> Pete C.

> Reminds me of when Mom made a tuna noodle hotdish and left out the tuna.
> . . .
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Plum jelly from the beginning

Lucky you ... seems to methat would be the best way to eat tuna hotdish

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Tomorrow morning I will deliver my baked entries to the Nice Ladies at
> the Minnesota State Fair fairgrounds.
>
> In theory, I will enter a chocolate Bundt cake, an apple pie, a mixed
> berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies, PB cookies, CC
> cookies, and fruit muffins.
>
> I started with the chocolate cake first. It's an interesting recipe
> (one year it placed second or third or something) and I decided to enter
> it again. I mixed the batter and poured it carefully into my greased
> and floured Bundt pan. Oven on, pan in, at about 20 minutes it had
> risen to the top of the pan. I did not open the oven. At about 24
> minutes I looked again and it had fallen and was sort of boiling. At 35
> minutes I opened the oven to let the smoke out and to empty the damned
> pan (with stuck on baked chocolate batter) and put the remover stuff on
> it to soak. I'm not wanting to scratch this pan, OK?
>
> As I re-read the recipe and re-played the making, I realized I likely
> would not have had this problem if I had put the flour in the batter.
> And, no, I didn't miss it because it is a thin batter when it goes into
> the pan.
>
> A word to the wise.

oops! lol

> Now, back to kneading the bread dough and making pie dough.
>
> Light a bonfire.
>
> It's cold and raining. I love it!
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Plum jelly from the beginning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2007-08-18, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> I knew I shouldn't have asked LOL!

> SNAP!
>
> That'll teach me to reply before reading the whole thread.

Heh. Well now we both know that Barb's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate Brownies
can be boys *or* girls, because the nuts are optional
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 02:09:41 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2007-08-18, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies......

>I'm almost afraid to ask what's the diff between "boy" and "girl"
>brownies. Could it possibly be .....wait for it....... nuts!?

Wow, you must be a newbie to not know that.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 02:09:41 -0500, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2007-08-18, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>>
>>> berry pie, girl brownies, white bread, boy brownies......

>>I'm almost afraid to ask what's the diff between "boy" and "girl"
>>brownies. Could it possibly be .....wait for it....... nuts!?

> Wow, you must be a newbie to not know that.
>
> TammyM

Guilty as charged, too. Only been following and posting r.f.c. for about 3
years. Can't compete with you "old timers"... <Cathy sobs into her kleenex>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 02:11:38 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>That'll teach me to reply before reading the whole thread.

- which takes the spontaneity and fun out of responding.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:13:10 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>TammyM wrote:

>>>I'm almost afraid to ask what's the diff between "boy" and "girl"
>>>brownies. Could it possibly be .....wait for it....... nuts!?

>> Wow, you must be a newbie to not know that.
>>
>> TammyM

>Guilty as charged, too. Only been following and posting r.f.c. for about 3
>years. Can't compete with you "old timers"... <Cathy sobs into her kleenex>

I was just joshin' with nb, Cathy. Barb's been callin' her brownies
"boy or girl brownies" since Moses was in short-pants. NB is likely
about that old and has been around a long time too.

;-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> I was just joshin' with nb, Cathy. Barb's been callin' her brownies
> "boy or girl brownies" since Moses was in short-pants. NB is likely
> about that old and has been around a long time too.

Well, nb might be "about that old" but I am willing to bet that he doesn't
still look as good as Barb does

<ducking and running from nb>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> TammyM wrote:

> >>I'm almost afraid to ask what's the diff between "boy" and "girl"
> >>brownies. Could it possibly be .....wait for it....... nuts!?

> > Wow, you must be a newbie to not know that.
> >
> > TammyM

> Guilty as charged, too. Only been following and posting r.f.c. for about 3
> years. Can't compete with you "old timers"... <Cathy sobs into her kleenex>

I've been reading and posting about 15 years, and I don't remember
seeing this on the group before. In fact, it wasn't until about 10
years ago, at the tender age of 45, that I heard this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:13:10 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> TammyM wrote:

>>> Wow, you must be a newbie to not know that.
>>>
>>> TammyM

>> Guilty as charged, too. Only been following and posting r.f.c. for
>> about 3 years. Can't compete with you "old timers"... <Cathy sobs
>> into her kleenex>

> I was just joshin' with nb, Cathy. Barb's been callin' her brownies
> "boy or girl brownies" since Moses was in short-pants. NB is likely
> about that old and has been around a long time too.

Aye and he is nearly as grumpy as me too!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> TammyM wrote:

> >>I'm almost afraid to ask what's the diff between "boy" and "girl"
> >>brownies. Could it possibly be .....wait for it....... nuts!?

> > Wow, you must be a newbie to not know that.
> >
> > TammyM

> Guilty as charged, too. Only been following and posting r.f.c. for about 3
> years. Can't compete with you "old timers"... <Cathy sobs into her kleenex>

But you've been one helluva valuable contributor... especially being
webmistress. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.