Default NUTRITION

Some years ago, I read an article about the Mayan people.

Apparently, their diet consisted mainly of corn and beans.

The article went on to say that this was "the perfect nutritional
mix".

The beans supplied protein, and the corn supplied ????

Further, theri civilation started to slide when local land
wouldn't support corn, reducing an essential part of their nutrition.

I don't remember much more, but I'm intrigued with the idea of
"the perfect nutritional food mix".

Could anyone elaborate on this corn/bean mix ?

<rj>
Gabby

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> Some years ago, I read an article about the Mayan people.
>
> Apparently, their diet consisted mainly of corn and beans.
>
> The article went on to say that this was "the perfect nutritional
> mix".
>
> The beans supplied protein, and the corn supplied ????

The rest of the amino acids required to make a complete protein? And more
carbs.

Gabby

Frogleg

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:51:38 -0400, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>Some years ago, I read an article about the Mayan people.
>Apparently, their diet consisted mainly of corn and beans.
>The article went on to say that this was "the perfect nutritional
>mix".
>
>The beans supplied protein, and the corn supplied ????
>
>Further, theri civilation started to slide when local land
>wouldn't support corn, reducing an essential part of their nutrition.
>
>I don't remember much more, but I'm intrigued with the idea of
>"the perfect nutritional food mix".
>
>Could anyone elaborate on this corn/bean mix ?

Plant proteins are, for the most part, "incomplete." That is, they
lack 1 or more of the essential (ones than can't be manufactured in
the body) amino acids. Combinations of plant foods -- corn & beans,
beans & rice, peas & rice -- together supply these essential
substances. The Mayan's beans did *not* supply complete protein, but
with the addition of corn, were adequate. Animal foods -- meat, fish,
poultry, eggs and dairy come with complete protein.

So, beans supplied *some* essentials, and corn, some others. Neither,
by itself, is adequate.
PENMART01

In article >, "<RJ>"
> writes:

>I read an article about the Mayan people.
>
>Apparently, their diet consisted mainly of corn and beans.
>
>The article went on to say that this was "the perfect nutritional
>mix".
>
>The beans supplied protein, and the corn supplied ????
>
>Further, theri civilation started to slide when local land
>wouldn't support corn, reducing an essential part of their nutrition.
>
>I don't remember much more, but I'm intrigued with the idea of
>"the perfect nutritional food mix".
>
>Could anyone elaborate on this corn/bean mix ?

The Mayans ate lots of meat, most any creature that roamed the rain forest was
fair game, including their neighbors.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon

Linda

Corn and beans together make a "perfect" protein.....Linda

nutrition sources? Stacy Vegetarian cooking 9 15-03-2018 08:54 AM
Nutrition. Z General Cooking 0 11-03-2007 06:26 PM
Nutrition. Z General Cooking 0 27-02-2007 07:55 PM
patented formulas in the USA ,control diabetes,healthy heart, arhtritis, woman nutrition, sport nutrition..... [email protected] Diabetic 0 22-01-2006 08:07 PM
Dr.Ali's Nutrition Bible-Bestselling Nutrition book at the moment-30% off list UK price kiff Marketplace 0 03-03-2004 01:30 PM