Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What kind of food town is Austin?

Okay you Austin folks...

I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....

Would I be disappointed foodwise?

Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
goods...

If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
Austin..LOL.

I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
more????

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...
>
> If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
> in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
> are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
> Austin..LOL.
>
> I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
> more????
>
> Christine

I drove thru Austin on my way to brownsville and San Pedre...all I
remember is the diving pig. They force this pig off a tower by use of an
electric cattle prod into a pond a good many feet below. But I wasn't
looking for good eats at the time...The Chinese take away was confused by
me ordering Chicken Gai Que with mushrooms and a long discussion of if I
knew the owners sister, who lived several cities away...Why do people
believe that if you live in a country you must know every other person
that lives in that country? That was in the late 80's things have
probably changed.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 2:48?am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...
>
> If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
> in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
> are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
> Austin..LOL.
>
> I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
> more????
>
> Christine

Christine, I am not far from Austin , the New Braunfels/Canyon Lake
area. I go to Austin every week for a class.

Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 3:48 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...

The town has been and is run by idiots who are dumb enough to pay
$8.50 for a plate of bean tacos.

I used to live there 20 years ago. As can be expected, it's gotten
pricier.

T.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 3:48 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...
>
> If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
> in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
> are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
> Austin..LOL.
>
> I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
> more????
>
> Christine

If you can work out the visa details you'd probably be much happier in
Vancouver or Toronto

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...
>
> If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
> in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
> are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
> Austin..LOL.
>
> I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
> more????
>
> Christine

I don't know much about the area, but http://www.saltlickbbq.com is
nearby and worth a visit, particularly the smoked prime rib on the
weekend special.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...
>
> If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
> in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
> are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
> Austin..LOL.
>
> I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
> more????
>
> Christine

I used to live there and my favorite places we
Rudy's BBQ
Chuy's (Tex-Mex)
Dan's (excellent breakfast)
Mr. Gatti's and Double Dave's (pizza)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...
>
> If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
> in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
> are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
> Austin..LOL.
>
> I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
> more????
>
> Christine

I lurk on austin.food and the places that people talk about sound fabulous.
Steve is always bringing up some little hole-in-the-wall inexpensive Asian
restaurant that makes me drool, and others talk about tex-mex places,
hotspots; it's kind of interesting. If a link is sent with the post, I
always click and check out the restaurant's menu. I'd definitely want to
visit Austin some day based upon the posts I read. It sounds like a city
filled with culture.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:29:08 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
>
> > I don't know much about the area, but http://www.saltlickbbq.com is
> > nearby and worth a visit, particularly the smoked prime rib on the
> > weekend special.

> I've been to SLBBQ a couple times on the weekend and have never
> seen prime rib on the smoker or menu. But they do often have
> things not on the menu. And I suspect they also have at least
> one commercial sized Ole Hickory Smoker in back, especially for
> catering and parties.
>
> -sw

They had it on the specials menu on 8/5 when I was there. Big honkin'
like 32oz slab of delicious dead cow. A couple of the folks I was with
had it there before so it would seem to be a regular item. Pic on A.B.F.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 3:48?am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...

Unless you enjoy over paying for things made with ground corn and
smushed pinto beans fergeddaboudit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 5:02?am, hahabogus > wrote:
> Christine Dabney > wrote :
>

> > Okay you Austin folks...

> > I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> > on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....

> > Would I be disappointed foodwise?

> > Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> > goods...

> > If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
> > in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
> > are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
> > Austin..LOL.

> > I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
> > more????

> > Christine

> I drove thru Austin on my way to brownsville and San Pedre...all I
> remember is the diving pig. They force this pig off a tower by use of an
> electric cattle prod into a pond a good many feet below. But I wasn't
> looking for good eats at the time...The Chinese take away was confused by
> me ordering Chicken Gai Que with mushrooms and a long discussion of if I
> knew the owners sister, who lived several cities away...Why do people
> believe that if you live in a country you must know every other person
> that lives in that country?
>
> That was in the late 80's things have probably changed.

How... more illegals is all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> There are plenty of potions for eating out. Tons of Tex-Mex,
> which I never eat out at home. Breakfast at any time of week is
> kinda tricky unless you like breakfast tacos from a trailer, or
> high end poached eggs with gorgonzola polenta for $15.

I love the food in Austin. I haven't been back in a few years, so
maybe things have changed a lot, but I found it a great place to get
breakfast. I'm in DC and finding a good breakfast spot here is
difficult, so maybe that's my basis of comparison.

I could eat breakfast at Magnolia Cafe every day. I also thought El
Sol Y La Luna had good breakfast and Star Seeds Cafe. There are are
probably others that I'm not remembering, and maybe it depends on what
part of the city you're talking about.

pat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...
>
> If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
> in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
> are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
> Austin..LOL.
>
> I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
> more????
> Christine

My sis lives there, and the DS went to school there. I can drive there in my
sleep. Anyhow, she recommends a Greek joint, which I cannot remember the
name of just now, with the meatballs served on a sword like dealie. I liked
the Vietnamese Pho restaurant (it's in a strip mall sort of place.) It's not
high end looking, but there is always a crowd and the food, er, pho, is
available lots of ways, very fresh piles of herbs served with. Maybe Steve
knows which one I mean. Will check with sis later.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...

If I'm not mistaken, the world's largest Whole Foods
market is in Austin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>
>> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
>> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>>
>> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>>
>> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
>> goods...

> If I'm not mistaken, the world's largest Whole Foods
> market is in Austin.

I don't know if it has the largest Whole Foods, but Whole Foods was founded
there.

Here's a couple of places I like in Austin.

FONDA SAN MIGUEL

http://www.fondasanmiguel.com/

We had breakfast at the Driskill Hotel. Nice, elegant, and very historical.
Unfortunately the hotel is pricey. Doesn't cost to look around though and
the people are friendly.

http://www.driskillhotel.com/

IMHO, Austin is a very nice place to visit, but Spring (to me) is the best
time of year to go there.

If you get bored in Austin, San Antonio is only about an 1-1/2 hour drive
away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Tell me about Austin, foodwise....

I had two very good dinners in Austin a few years ago: one at an Italian
place now closed, the other at Zoot, which is still there. Food at Zoot
is good. They also have a very nice wine list. See
<http://www.zootrestaurant.com/>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

Maybe try asking at austin.general too

> Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 17 Aug 2007 21:58:43 GMT, sandi wrote:
>
>> Maybe try asking at austin.general too

> austin.food maybe, but certainly not austin.general - the idiot
> capital of Usenet.
>
> -sw

Steve,

The idiot capital has to be houston.general... hard to imagine anything
worse. Maybe they're running neck and neck?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 7:52?am, John Kane > wrote:
> On Aug 17, 3:48 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>

> > Okay you Austin folks...

> > I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> > on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....

> > Would I be disappointed foodwise?

> > Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> > goods...

> > If I ever decide to come there, it would be winter. I don't do Texas
> > in the summer, and probably not the spring or fall..unless the temps
> > are mild and the humidity is low. That probably leaves out
> > Austin..LOL.

> > I know of two rfc'ers that are in the Austin area....are there
> > more????

> > Christine

> If you can work out the visa details you'd probably be much happier in
> Vancouver or Toronto
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada- Hide quoted text -

Oddly as I type this, I am in Vancouver, getting ready to go to dinner
at the William Tell.

Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry > wrote:

>"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>>
>>> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
>>> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>>>
>>> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>>>
>>> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
>>> goods...

>> If I'm not mistaken, the world's largest Whole Foods
>> market is in Austin.

>I don't know if it has the largest Whole Foods, but Whole Foods was founded
>there.

I've talked to people who've been there, and it certainly
sounds like it must be the largest; probably twice the size
of one of the chained-out instances. And very different,
more like a marketplace, with food-court like stalls along
all the walls.

>If you get bored in Austin, San Antonio is only about an 1-1/2 hour drive
>away.

And from there it's only a hop and a skip and a couple of
state highways to Shiner for beers, then up a bit to
Dallas for Sonny Bryan's BBQ.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:29:54 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Unless you enjoy over paying for things made with ground corn and
>> smushed pinto beans fergeddaboudit.

> So where's the last place you ate in Austin and when?
>
> -sw

Since when does Sheldon have to justify what he says?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On 17 Aug 2007 21:58:43 GMT, sandi wrote:
>
> > Maybe try asking at austin.general too

> austin.food maybe, but certainly not austin.general - the idiot
> capital of Usenet.
>
> -sw

Is that why you hang out on a,g.?

<ducking and running> ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 02:13:33 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Steve Wertz > wrote:
> >
> >> austin.food maybe, but certainly not austin.general - the idiot
> >> capital of Usenet.

> > Is that why you hang out on a,g.?

> I'm only there to tease people. Last thing I would try and do is
> use it for serious conversation.
>
> -sw

I've tried going there a couple of times...
I actually have it in the queue at work but not here.
I don't post from work.

The freeserver I found that I use there is actually pretty reliable.
I keep meaning to post it, but I keep forgetting to write it down. ;-) I
need to send an e-mail to myself from work.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> Okay you Austin folks...
>
> I keep on seeing stuff about how Austin is a good food town. I keep
> on thinking it might be nice to take a contract there....
>
> Would I be disappointed foodwise?
>
> Tell me about Austin, foodwise.... Sell it to me...give me the
> goods...

If you happen to see Kinky Friedman's book "The Great Psychedelic Armadillo
Picnic: A 'Walk' in Austin", have a look - he mentions all his favourite
food places in it. Made me want to move to Austin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

>> Mr. Gatti's and Double Dave's (pizza)

> DD's is OK, but Gatti's is the lowest form of pizza you can buy.

Mr. Gatti's has been going downhill in the last 10-15 years, they were
better back in the 80's

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:00:20 -0500, Scott > wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>

>>> Mr. Gatti's and Double Dave's (pizza)

>> DD's is OK, but Gatti's is the lowest form of pizza you can buy.
>>

>Mr. Gatti's has been going downhill in the last 10-15 years, they were
>better back in the 80's

weren't we all?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> >> DD's is OK, but Gatti's is the lowest form of pizza you can buy.
> >>

> >Mr. Gatti's has been going downhill in the last 10-15 years, they were
> >better back in the 80's

> weren't we all?
>
> your pal,
> blake

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>>> DD's is OK, but Gatti's is the lowest form of pizza you can buy.
>>>

>> Mr. Gatti's has been going downhill in the last 10-15 years, they were
>> better back in the 80's

> weren't we all?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Hey!...speak for yourself
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:57:31 -0500, Scott > wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:

>>> Mr. Gatti's has been going downhill in the last 10-15 years, they were
>>> better back in the 80's

>> weren't we all?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Hey!...speak for yourself

o.k., i've been going downhill since the '80's. not quite as fast as
a toboggan ride, but still.

your pal,
blake