Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Default Scone recipe for working mums

Staff of a local organisation had their annual "scone off"
competition recently. The winning entry was a "savoury scone" with a
bit of chili etc -- not what *I* would call a real scone, but I wasn't
there to disqualify it. :-)

The recipe that appealed to me was so simple it was absurd. The admin
officer who "created" it justified it on the basis "Working mums need
to do things easily and quickly." It didn't win, but I might even try
it out if I ever get a working oven again.

So, what's this secret recipe? As told to me _en passant_ in the
corridors of power, so to speak:

Ingredients:
3 cups self raising flower
1 can Campbells pumpkin soup.

Method:
Mix ingredients. Divide into convenient bits and space out on tray.
Bake until done.

Result:
A harvest of pumpkin scones!

(If Flo was dead she would be turning in her grave! Come to think of
it, if she hears about this she'll probably hand in her chips!)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote:
> Staff of a local organisation had their annual "scone off"
> competition recently. The winning entry was a "savoury scone" with a
> bit of chili etc -- not what *I* would call a real scone, but I wasn't
> there to disqualify it. :-)
>
> The recipe that appealed to me was so simple it was absurd. The admin
> officer who "created" it justified it on the basis "Working mums need
> to do things easily and quickly." It didn't win, but I might even try
> it out if I ever get a working oven again.
>
> So, what's this secret recipe? As told to me _en passant_ in the
> corridors of power, so to speak:
>
> Ingredients:
> 3 cups self raising flower
> 1 can Campbells pumpkin soup.
>
> Method:
> Mix ingredients. Divide into convenient bits and space out on tray.
> Bake until done.
>
> Result:
> A harvest of pumpkin scones!
>
> (If Flo was dead she would be turning in her grave! Come to think of
> it, if she hears about this she'll probably hand in her chips!)
>
> Cheers, Phred.

That recipe sounds great. Got any more?

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

>> Ingredients:
>> 3 cups self raising flower
>> 1 can Campbells pumpkin soup.
>>
>> Method:
>> Mix ingredients. Divide into convenient bits and space out on tray. Bake
>> until done.
>>
>> Result:
>> A harvest of pumpkin scones!

by self-rising flour, do you mean BISQUICK?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"readandpostrosie" > wrote in message
>>> Ingredients:
>>> 3 cups self raising flower
>>> 1 can Campbells pumpkin soup.
>>>
>>> Method:
>>> Mix ingredients. Divide into convenient bits and space out on tray.
>>> Bake until done.
>>>
>>> Result:
>>> A harvest of pumpkin scones!

> by self-rising flour, do you mean BISQUICK?

I think what's meant is "self-rising flour" -- it contains a leavening agent
(baking powder, I think, but may also have baking soda) and salt. Bisquik
of course also has that, but also has fat (I think in the form of
shortening, but may be oil).

But what's Campbell's pumpkin soup? I've never seen it. Is it sweet or
savory?

Anny

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
. ..

>> by self-rising flour, do you mean BISQUICK?

> I think what's meant is "self-rising flour" -- it contains a leavening
> agent (baking powder, I think, but may also have baking soda) and salt.
> Bisquik of course also has that, but also has fat (I think in the form of
> shortening, but may be oil).
>
> But what's Campbell's pumpkin soup? I've never seen it. Is it sweet or
> savory?
>
> Anny

i don't believe i have ever seen it either...............maybe the campbells
select?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:19:08 -0500, "readandpostrosie"
> wrote:

>>> Ingredients:
>>> 3 cups self raising flower
>>> 1 can Campbells pumpkin soup.
>>>
>>> Method:
>>> Mix ingredients. Divide into convenient bits and space out on tray. Bake
>>> until done.
>>>
>>> Result:
>>> A harvest of pumpkin scones!

>by self-rising flour, do you mean BISQUICK?

Self rising flour is on the shelf next to the all purpose but you can
make your own

How To Make Self-Rising Flour

1. Using a dry measure, measure the desired amount of flour into a
separate container.

2. For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking
powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

3. Mix to combine.

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/bre...rise_flour.htm

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Anny Middon" > wrote in
:

>> by self-rising flour, do you mean BISQUICK?

> I think what's meant is "self-rising flour" -- it contains a leavening
> agent (baking powder, I think, but may also have baking soda) and
> salt.

How to make it.

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/bre...rise_flour.htm

>Bisquik of course also has that, but also has fat (I think in
> the form of shortening, but may be oil).
>
> But what's Campbell's pumpkin soup? I've never seen it. Is it sweet
> or savory?

Both.

http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...?product_id=39
http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...?product_id=20
http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...?product_id=79
http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...?product_id=82
http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...product_id=129

http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand..._by_brand.aspx

Google is your friend.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"PeterLucas" > wrote in message
0.25...
> "Anny Middon" > wrote in
> :

>>> by self-rising flour, do you mean BISQUICK?

>> I think what's meant is "self-rising flour" -- it contains a leavening
>> agent (baking powder, I think, but may also have baking soda) and
>> salt.

> How to make it.
>
> http://southernfood.about.com/cs/bre...rise_flour.htm
>

>>Bisquik of course also has that, but also has fat (I think in
>> the form of shortening, but may be oil).
>>
>> But what's Campbell's pumpkin soup? I've never seen it. Is it sweet
>> or savory?
>>

> Both.
>
> http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...?product_id=39
> http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...?product_id=20
> http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...?product_id=79
> http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...?product_id=82
> http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand...product_id=129
>
> http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brand..._by_brand.aspx
>

> Google is your friend.
>

> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> "People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
> the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
> -- George Orwell

that pumpkin soup used to (?) have a recipe on the side for a pasta sauce,
was yum. Sure, full of fat, but yum. and dead easy.

scones sound good!

a lot gets lots in translation doesnt it?!

chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 9:01 am, (Phred) wrote:
> Staff of a local organisation had their annual "scone off"
> competition recently. The winning entry was a "savoury scone" with a
> bit of chili etc -- not what *I* would call a real scone, but I wasn't
> there to disqualify it. :-)

Besides, you're utterly unqualified.

> The recipe that appealed to me was so simple it was absurd. The admin
> officer who "created" it justified it on the basis "Working mums need
> to do things easily and quickly." It didn't win, but I might even try
> it out if I ever get a working oven again.

Do they use the phrase, White Trash, in Oz?

> So, what's this secret recipe? As told to me _en passant_ in the
> corridors of power, so to speak:
>
> Ingredients:
> 3 cups self raising flower
> 1 can Campbells pumpkin soup.
>
> Method:
> Mix ingredients. Divide into convenient bits and space out on tray.
> Bake until done.
>
> Result:
> A harvest of pumpkin scones!

Proof that crappy cooking isn't exclusively American.

> (If Flo was dead she would be turning in her grave! Come to think of
> it, if she hears about this she'll probably hand in her chips!)

What? You know someone named Flo who actually has standards when it
comes to cooking?

> Cheers, Phred.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>, The Truthful Assh0le > wrote:
[snip]

>What? You know someone named Flo who actually has standards when it
>comes to cooking?

If you haven't heard of Flo in relation to pumpkin scones you're
hopelessly out of your depth in this thread. Where do we send
flowers?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, said:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:44:28 GMT,
unge (Little

said:
> >> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:01:13 GMT,
(Phred)

http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/kitch...il.aspx?id=101

> >I'm not sure that they sell it in the U.S. -- if you search the
> >Campbell's web site, they don't mention it at all. All the cites
> >I've seen in this thread are for Oz...

> Don't you think it's odd?

Oh, absolutely! Seems like a strange thing to have on the store
shelves -- I wonder if they really sell that much..?

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Caesar" > wrote in message
> Flowers work?

hehe - didn't even notice that when I read it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"mªdcªt" > wrote in message

> >Ingredients:
> >3 cups self raising flower
> >1 can Campbells pumpkin soup.
> >
> >Method:
> >Mix ingredients. Divide into convenient bits and space out on tray.
> >Bake until done.
> >
> >Result:
> >A harvest of pumpkin scones!

> WTF???!?!?
>
> This is SO utterly simple, I am going to try this this weekend.
> (It sounds like it's going to be a rainy weekend woohoo.)
>
> What size can of soup, btw?

Please post about your results. Its seems too simple!

Mind you, I always find the lemonade scone recipe to be pretty quick and
easy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> That recipe sounds great. Got any more?

My wife makes these at church camp:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...recipe_id=R460

I've never seen them eaten in the nude.

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

augie > wrote in news:MPG.21324fd58f092c37989af8
@individual.net:

> On further thought, I wonder if these would come out more like
> dumplings? (Or individual Yorkshire puds)...

Very possibly, since my Mum uses scone dough to make her dumplings I've
got a coupling of dumpling recipes also that sound very similar to scones -
just cooked differently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >,
"Flowergirl" > wrote:

> Mind you, I always find the lemonade scone recipe to be pretty quick and
> easy.

I can't work up an enthusiasm to try it. It isn't that hard to make the
ordinary kind! (Well, I suppose it depends how many you make!)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Chookie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Flowergirl" > wrote:
>
> > Mind you, I always find the lemonade scone recipe to be pretty quick and
> > easy.

> I can't work up an enthusiasm to try it. It isn't that hard to make the
> ordinary kind! (Well, I suppose it depends how many you make!)

No rubbing in of butter is what does it for me. I hate rubbing in the butter
so being able to pour 2 ingredients into some flour and stirring with a
knife is much more appealing. .... and is quicker (for me anyway).
....and I find the lemonade scones to be a bit lighter and fluffier than the
normal kind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Nina Pretty Ballerina wrote:

> that pumpkin soup used to (?) have a recipe on the side for a pasta
> sauce, was yum. Sure, full of fat, but yum. and dead easy.

and for the yanks, Campbell's soup has a long running ad campaign in the US.
Maybe they don't sell the Pumpkin kind though. Although I'm pretty sure I've
seen it there.

> scones sound good!
>
> a lot gets lots in translation doesnt it?!

yep. In the US, they're called Biscuits.
they serve them with sloppy stews, for soaking up the gravy. Sort of
south-western food.

Nothing like our scones with jam and cream, which are english.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> "ant" > wrote in message
>
>>Nina Pretty Ballerina wrote:
>>

>>>that pumpkin soup used to (?) have a recipe on the side for a pasta
>>>sauce, was yum. Sure, full of fat, but yum. and dead easy.

>>and for the yanks, Campbell's soup has a long running ad campaign in the
>>US. Maybe they don't sell the Pumpkin kind though. Although I'm pretty
>>sure I've seen it there.
>>

>>>scones sound good!
>>>
>>>a lot gets lots in translation doesnt it?!

>>yep. In the US, they're called Biscuits.
>>they serve them with sloppy stews, for soaking up the gravy. Sort of
>>south-western food.
>>
>>Nothing like our scones with jam and cream, which are english.

> The most common differences between biscuits and scones are that scones
> include sugar and egg yolk (or whole egg). Not always, of course.

And you'd think we speak the same language:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/tips/cooking-terms.html

Magdalena
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Pumpkin scones. was Scone recipe for working mums

"Janet" > wrote in
:

> "ant" > wrote in message
>> Nina Pretty Ballerina wrote:
>>
>>> that pumpkin soup used to (?) have a recipe on the side for a pasta
>>> sauce, was yum. Sure, full of fat, but yum. and dead easy.

>> and for the yanks, Campbell's soup has a long running ad campaign in
>> the US. Maybe they don't sell the Pumpkin kind though. Although I'm
>> pretty sure I've seen it there.
>>

>>> scones sound good!
>>>
>>> a lot gets lots in translation doesnt it?!

>> yep. In the US, they're called Biscuits.
>> they serve them with sloppy stews, for soaking up the gravy. Sort of
>> south-western food.
>>
>> Nothing like our scones with jam and cream, which are english.

> The most common differences between biscuits and scones are that
> scones include sugar and egg yolk (or whole egg). Not always, of
> course.

Here's a recipe for Pumpkin Scones....

http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/stories/s1165618.htm

and plain scones.......

http://www.abc.net.au/queensland/stories/s1579082.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Magdalena Bassett > wrote in
:

>>>Nothing like our scones with jam and cream, which are english.

>> The most common differences between biscuits and scones are that
>> scones include sugar and egg yolk (or whole egg). Not always, of
>> course.
>>

> And you'd think we speak the same language:
>
> http://www.cooksrecipes.com/tips/cooking-terms.html

LOL!! I've never heard of a "bilberry"!!

And I call an eggplant an eggplant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" > wrote in message
0.25...
> Magdalena Bassett > wrote in
> :

>>> The most common differences between biscuits and scones are that
>>> scones include sugar and egg yolk (or whole egg). Not always, of
>>> course.
>>>

>> And you'd think we speak the same language:
>>
>> http://www.cooksrecipes.com/tips/cooking-terms.html
>>

> LOL!! I've never heard of a "bilberry"!!
>
> And I call an eggplant an eggplant.

Bilberry extract is supposed to be very good for the eyes.

Just the other day, I was amazed to see it in jam form, so I bought it --
guess I'll have to make a scone.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in
:

> "PeterLucas" > wrote in message
> 0.25...
>> Magdalena Bassett > wrote in
>> :

>>> And you'd think we speak the same language:
>>>
>>> http://www.cooksrecipes.com/tips/cooking-terms.html
>>>

>> LOL!! I've never heard of a "bilberry"!!
>>
>> And I call an eggplant an eggplant.

> Bilberry extract is supposed to be very good for the eyes.

Is that the same as blueberry?

Opps..... seems it is........

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/bilberry-000225.htm

> Just the other day, I was amazed to see it in jam form, so I bought it
> -- guess I'll have to make a scone.

Or a whole batch!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" > wrote in message
0.25...

>> Bilberry extract is supposed to be very good for the eyes.

> Is that the same as blueberry?
>
> Opps..... seems it is........
>
> http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/bilberry-000225.htm

Not quite the same: if you haven't: read where it says:

.. Bilberry is a relative of blueberry, cranberry, and huckleberry, and its
fruit looks and tastes much like the American blueberry.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> "ant" > wrote in message
> > Nina Pretty Ballerina wrote:
> >
> >> that pumpkin soup used to (?) have a recipe on the side for a pasta
> >> sauce, was yum. Sure, full of fat, but yum. and dead easy.

> > and for the yanks, Campbell's soup has a long running ad campaign in the
> > US. Maybe they don't sell the Pumpkin kind though. Although I'm pretty
> > sure I've seen it there.
> >

> >> scones sound good!
> >>
> >> a lot gets lots in translation doesnt it?!

> > yep. In the US, they're called Biscuits.
> > they serve them with sloppy stews, for soaking up the gravy. Sort of
> > south-western food.
> >
> > Nothing like our scones with jam and cream, which are english.

> The most common differences between biscuits and scones are that scones
> include sugar and egg yolk (or whole egg). Not always, of course.

Not any scone I've ever had or made!

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper

scone recipe julieg General Cooking 19 17-03-2009 05:14 AM
A Tasty Scone Recipe Sean Surlow Baking 0 16-05-2008 06:28 PM
A Tasty Scone Recipe Sean S. General Cooking 0 16-05-2008 06:26 PM
scone recipe needed lakota Baking 4 13-08-2004 04:17 AM
Blueberry Scone Recipe Julie Baking 2 06-08-2004 01:12 AM