Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frozen fish at asian market... Not cleaned?

The local Asian markets have freezers full of a variety of different
types of fish. I would like to try some of these fish and would
appreciate some direction and techniques.
How do I clean these fish, frozen or thaw them fiirst? How do I scale
them and do I need to scale them for most recipes? I have not cleaned
fish before and the first time I bought a fish and tried to clean it
but it was not pretty. Maybe part of it was I thawed it thinking it
was cleaned and was more than a bit surprized. Thanks for you helpful
opinions. Pam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pamjd" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The local Asian markets have freezers full of a variety of different
> types of fish. I would like to try some of these fish and would
> appreciate some direction and techniques.
> How do I clean these fish, frozen or thaw them fiirst? How do I scale
> them and do I need to scale them for most recipes? I have not cleaned
> fish before and the first time I bought a fish and tried to clean it
> but it was not pretty. Maybe part of it was I thawed it thinking it
> was cleaned and was more than a bit surprized. Thanks for you helpful
> opinions. Pam

Although someone will come along here and say you can freeze with without
gutting them first, this is (and should be) an exception. If the fish you're
seeing still have their guts, I wouldn't buy them. Freezing them without
gutting is based on the assumption of absolutely perfect handling from the
moment they are caught. You cannot assume this unless you're doing the
fishing yourself. Even so, it's a shortcut that's not worth taking.

Scaling: Yes, you should do that for most fish. The exceptions are many, can
you need a book.

You're asking us to write a book for you. That's unlikely to happen. The
revised "Joy of Cooking" has basic info on prepping fish for cooking. Hit
your library or bookstore for seafood cookbooks. You'll find some with much
more detailed information. This is one area of food prep where pictures
really help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message

> Scaling: Yes, you should do that for most fish. The exceptions are many,
> can you need a book.

Typo! "....and you need a book."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "pamjd" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> The local Asian markets have freezers full of a variety of different
>> types of fish. I would like to try some of these fish and would
>> appreciate some direction and techniques.
>> How do I clean these fish, frozen or thaw them fiirst? How do I
>> scale them and do I need to scale them for most recipes? I have not
>> cleaned fish before and the first time I bought a fish and tried to
>> clean it but it was not pretty. Maybe part of it was I thawed it
>> thinking it was cleaned and was more than a bit surprized. Thanks
>> for you helpful opinions. Pam
>>

> Although someone will come along here and say you can freeze with
> without gutting them first, this is (and should be) an exception. If
> the fish you're seeing still have their guts, I wouldn't buy them.
> Freezing them without gutting is based on the assumption of
> absolutely perfect handling from the moment they are caught. You
> cannot assume this unless you're doing the fishing yourself. Even so,
> it's a shortcut that's not worth taking.
>
> Scaling: Yes, you should do that for most fish. The exceptions are
> many, can you need a book.
>
> You're asking us to write a book for you. That's unlikely to happen.
> The revised "Joy of Cooking" has basic info on prepping fish for
> cooking. Hit your library or bookstore for seafood cookbooks. You'll
> find some with much more detailed information. This is one area of
> food prep where pictures really help.

I absolutely agree with Joe on this one.

kili