Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Storing Smoked Fish

I caught some Kakone in Idaho last month. My friends had some of it
smoked. The smoked fish was then inserted into a vacuum bag and
sealed. It looks like it was done with a good home vacuum machine.
The fish does not look as tightly wrapped as you might see with smoked
salmon in a store.

So, does the smoked fish in the vacuum bag need to be refrigerated?
It arrived at my house through Fed Ex packed in dry ice. But we were
not home to receive it.

How can I tell if the fish is okay to eat.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Gene wrote:

> I caught some Kakone in Idaho last month. My friends had some of it
> smoked. The smoked fish was then inserted into a vacuum bag and
> sealed. It looks like it was done with a good home vacuum machine.
> The fish does not look as tightly wrapped as you might see with smoked
> salmon in a store.
>
> So, does the smoked fish in the vacuum bag need to be refrigerated?

Yes. Vac packing doesn't obviate the need for refrigeration.

> It arrived at my house through Fed Ex packed in dry ice. But we were
> not home to receive it.
>
> How can I tell if the fish is okay to eat.
>
> Thanks in advance.

How long did it sit, thawed, with no ice left? Was it still cold
inside the container (I assume it's styrofoam)?

Generally, if it sits for anything longer 4-5 few hours above
40 F then you need to be concerned.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 14, 3:43 pm, Gene > wrote:
> I caught some Kakone in Idaho last month.

Is this the landlocked salmon? Many years ago I caught some of that
in Lake Pondereille (no doubt misspelled--they pronounced it Pon-de-
ray). Really delicious. I'm envious.

> My friends had some of it
> smoked. The smoked fish was then inserted into a vacuum bag and
> sealed. It looks like it was done with a good home vacuum machine.
> The fish does not look as tightly wrapped as you might see with smoked
> salmon in a store.

If the vacuum is good the wrapping doesn't matter so much.

> So, does the smoked fish in the vacuum bag need to be refrigerated?
> It arrived at my house through Fed Ex packed in dry ice. But we were
> not home to receive it.

Refrigerating is a good idea. Best eaten after you let it come back
to room temp. Smoking is a preservation technique, of course, but
refrigeration also impedes any deterioration. It can also be frozen,
with a subsequent loss of texture, but you probably are going to have
it all eaten before needing to do that.

> How can I tell if the fish is okay to eat.

Occasionally, after at least a week or more refrigerated, you may get
little spots of mold on smoked fish. We just cut 'em out and eat the
rest. -aem

dried and smoked fish available [email protected] Asian Cooking 0 26-03-2016 03:49 PM
Smoked Fish Spread Bjorn Holstrom Recipes (moderated) 0 09-10-2006 06:58 PM
Rec: Smoked Fish Dinner See Hear Diabetic 0 10-04-2006 09:54 PM
Smoked Fish Casserole Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-03-2005 01:30 AM
Smoked fish dip recipies Dan Krueger Barbecue 5 08-06-2004 01:22 AM