Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 5 ways to create healthy recipes

Many recipes can tolerate a healthy renovation without affecting the
taste or texture of the food. So whether you're trying to stick to a
healthy-eating plan or following a special diet, use these techniques
to make your recipes - including your time-honored family favorites -
healthier.

1. Reduce the amount of fat, sugar and sodium

With most recipes, you can reduce the amount of fat, sugar and sodium
without losing the flavor. By cutting fat and sugar, you also cut
calories. How much can you leave out without affecting the flavor and
consistency of the food? Apply the following general guidelines:

Fat. For baked goods, use half the butter, shortening or oil and
replace the other half with unsweetened applesauce, mashed banana or
prune puree. You can also use commercially prepared fruit-based fat
replacers found in the baking aisle of your local grocery store.

Sugar. Reduce the amount of sugar by one-third to one-half. When you
use less sugar, add spices such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice and
nutmeg or flavorings such as vanilla extract or almond flavoring to
enhance the sweetness of the food.

Sodium. Reduce salt by one-half in baked goods that don't require
yeast. For foods that require yeast, don't reduce the amount of salt,
which is necessary for leavening. Without salt, the foods may become
dense and flat. For most main dishes, salads, soups and other foods,
however, you can reduce the salt by one-half or eliminate it
completely.

Other ingredients may contain sugar, fat and sodium, and you can
decrease them as well. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup
shredded cheddar cheese, use 1/2 cup instead. Or use less soy sauce
than is indicated to decrease the amount of sodium in the food.

2. Make a healthy substitution

Healthy substitutions not only reduce the amount of fat, calories and
sodium in your recipes, but also can boost the nutritional content.
For example, use whole-wheat pasta in place of enriched pasta. You'll
triple the fiber and reduce the number of calories. Prepare a dessert
with fat-free milk instead of whole milk to save 63 calories and
almost 8 grams of fat per cup.

3. Delete an ingredient

In some recipes, you can delete an ingredient altogether; likely
candidates include items you add out of habit or for appearance, such
as frosting, coconut or nuts, which are high in fat and calories.
Other possibilities include optional condiments, such as pickles,
olives, butter, mayonnaise, syrup, jelly and mustard, which can have
large amounts of sodium, sugar, fat and calories.

4. Change the method of preparation

Healthy cooking techniques - such as braising, broiling, grilling and
steaming - can capture the flavor and nutrients of your food without
adding excessive amounts of fat, oil or sodium. If your recipe calls
for frying the ingredients in oil or butter, try baking, broiling or
poaching the food instead. If the directions say to baste the meat or
vegetables in oil or drippings, use wine, fruit juice, vegetable juice
or fat-free vegetable broth instead. Using nonstick pans or spraying
pans with nonstick cooking spray will further reduce the amount of fat
and calories added to your meals.

5. Change the portion size

No matter how much you reduce, switch or omit ingredients, some
recipes may still be high in sugar, fat or salt. In these cases,
reduce the amount of that food you eat. Smaller portions have less
fat, calories and sodium and allow you to eat a wider variety of foods
during a meal. Eating a variety of foods will ensure that you get all
the energy, protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber you need.

Putting it all together

As you look over your recipe, decide what to change and how to change
it. Make notes of any alterations, so you can refer to them the next
time you prepare the food. You may have to make the recipe a few
times, adjusting your alterations, before you get the results you
want. But finding the right combination of ingredients - for the
desired taste, consistency and nutrients - is well worth the trouble.

Tips & info cool women should know: makeup, diet, work out, nutrition,
acne and skin ca www.womentobeauty.com

Basic techniques and easy tips to apply makeup on your face: www.100makeup.com
Healthy and easy recipe for your good health in busy days:
www.healthy-easy-cooking.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:19:19 -0700, Queensoccer
> wrote:

> Fat. For baked goods, use half the butter, shortening or oil and
>replace the other half with unsweetened applesauce, mashed banana or
>prune puree. You can also use commercially prepared fruit-based fat
>replacers found in the baking aisle of your local grocery store.

Use less butter? Are you MAD????????

Okay, I feel better now.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 9:30 pm, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:19:19 -0700, Queensoccer
>
> > wrote:
> > Fat. For baked goods, use half the butter, shortening or oil and
> >replace the other half with unsweetened applesauce, mashed banana or
> >prune puree. You can also use commercially prepared fruit-based fat
> >replacers found in the baking aisle of your local grocery store.

> Use less butter? Are you MAD????????
>
> Okay, I feel better now.

I'm with you. The only way I'd use half the butter is to eat it half
as
often. There's all kinds of moderation.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 8:31 am, Cindy Hamilton >
wrote:
> On Aug 13, 9:30 pm, Damsel in dis Dress
>
> > wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:19:19 -0700, Queensoccer

> > > wrote:
> > > Fat. For baked goods, use half the butter, shortening or oil and
> > >replace the other half with unsweetened applesauce, mashed banana or
> > >prune puree. You can also use commercially prepared fruit-based fat
> > >replacers found in the baking aisle of your local grocery store.

> > Use less butter? Are you MAD????????

> > Okay, I feel better now.

> I'm with you. The only way I'd use half the butter is to eat it half
> as
> often. There's all kinds of moderation.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Ignore this spamming twit. She's already tried to direct traffic to
her site from another board. She was called down for spamming, which
like the knucklehead she is, denied. She is INDEED a spammer, aren't
you, Queenie?