Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wooden Cutting Board Help

In article >, "Pandora" >
wrote:

> "Omelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> news
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.org/mug/sh...th%20Kitty.jpg
> >
> > It is not a recent pic... I must confess.
> >
> > That was a good 10 years or so ago.

> I Am so sorry ...I didn't know!
> This year dead my favourite cat Alice. She was 16 years old.
> I know they are all in peace in paradise now
> and perhaps they also have a newsgroup:"Mousegroupcooking"
> DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

We still have one Siamese that is 20.
Not in very good shape, but still a little love sponge.

Her sister died in February at 19 1/2.

We also have a few others...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > Not when you had 6 of them.

> > That's absolutely untrue. You have bad information.
> >
> > > The greater the credit availability, the greater the risk.

> > That's not how Fair-Isaac evaluates it. Add cards, your FICO goes
> > up.

> Sorry babe, but I'll believe the bank that owns my house and does the
> actual credit scores.

See, you're confused. The bank doesn't do your credit scores anymore.
They use FICO. Everybody uses FICO.

> The loan officers at the bank are what count. Not internet sites
> trying to sell you credit cards.

Did you look at that site? They don't issue cards. They are the
Fair-Issac Company, the one that invented the credit score and issues
them to lenders, based on the information available in the credit
reports issued by Transunion, Experien, and Equifax. In fact, you have
three FICO scores, as the information in credit reports from the three
often varies somewhat. A lender will typically only look at one.

> They want you to believe what you believe so they can make more money
> off of you. I've reduced myself to 2 Visa cards.

You're just flat out mistaken. I'm sorry, but you got bad advice or you
misunderstood what you told. Look anywhere about credit scores.

> Things are looking up now for the first time in 10 years.

I don't know what more to say. You're willfully blinding yourself.
There's a wealth of information out there on the subject. You should
educate yourself.

I'm not going to bother arguing further with you, as you seem unwilling
to listen.

Everybody else, DON'T listen to her. She's just dead wrong about how
credit is issued and credit scores are determined.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > > Sorry, but I think I'll listen to a loan officer before I'll
> > > believe an internet website.

> > Amusing. The "internet website" is that of the Fair-Isaac Company.
> > They are the FICO in FICO. This is the company that creates the
> > credit scores.
> >
> > You have bad or outdated information. Closing credit card accounts
> > HURTS your FICO score.

> Wrong.
>
> Go to your local Bank and ask again.

The bank doesn't issue FICO scores. FICO does.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> I'm not going to bother arguing further with you, as you seem unwilling
> to listen.

As do you.

I believe the loan officer at the bank. The one that actually loans me
money and sets the interest rates.

That is what counts in the real world.

Thanks.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > Amusing. The "internet website" is that of the Fair-Isaac Company.
> > > They are the FICO in FICO. This is the company that creates the
> > > credit scores.
> > >
> > > You have bad or outdated information. Closing credit card accounts
> > > HURTS your FICO score.

> > Wrong.
> >
> > Go to your local Bank and ask again.

> The bank doesn't issue FICO scores. FICO does.
>

> Brian

FICO does not issue me my loans and Visa cards.

The Bank does.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> > Go to your local Bank and ask again.

> The bank doesn't issue FICO scores. FICO does.
>

> Brian

Consider, just for once, that you MIGHT be wrong.
It's something that I am never afraid to admit and it's most often to
my benefit.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > I'm not going to bother arguing further with you, as you seem
> > unwilling to listen.

> As do you.

The difference is, I've researched it, not relied on what one person
told me.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > > Go to your local Bank and ask again.

> > The bank doesn't issue FICO scores. FICO does.
> >

> > Brian

> Consider, just for once, that you MIGHT be wrong.
> It's something that I am never afraid to admit and it's most often
> to my benefit.

I don't have to, because I'm not relying on what I remember of a single
person's conversation. I can, and HAVE researched it thoroughly. As I
said, I won't argue further with you, but invite you to do your own
research. Start with a Google search on the exact phrase, "how credit
scores work".

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Aug 2007 17:57:29 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article >,

>> > Then they lied to you. Two major components of your FICO score are
>> > debt to credit ratio and length of credit. Closing hurts both of
>> > those.
>> >
>> > <http://www.myfico.com/>

>> Sorry, but I think I'll listen to a loan officer before I'll believe
>> an internet website.

>Amusing. The "internet website" is that of the Fair-Isaac Company. They
>are the FICO in FICO. This is the company that creates the credit
>scores.
>
>You have bad or outdated information. Closing credit card accounts
>HURTS your FICO score.

Baloney. Closing unused credit cards is not a good short term
strategy for *improving* your credit score, but it certainly won't
hurt.... especially if credit cards are your WaterLoo. Additionally,
too many credit checks (say you're buying a car) will lower your
score. The web site tells you how to handle that situation.

Also see: "How can I improve my score?"

This was taken directly from the website

How is my score calculated?

-35% affects Payment History. Meaning any lates; collections; charge
offs; bankruptcies; judgments; liens or the such will hurt the score.
All is time based, the older the information the less it is
contributing to the scores.

-30% affects Utilization. It is best to have several accounts with low
balances distributed then it is to have fewer accounts maxed out. To
figure utilization: Balance (divided) by Credit Limit = percentage.
Lower than 10% recommended per account, this is one of the fastest
means for increasing the over all credit score.

-15% affects Established History. The longer you maintain open
accounts with creditors the better. When first starting out of course
this is not easy; but this is where getting added as an Authorized
User to another persons established credit comes in best. Remember
that the contributor must have an account that has long history; clean
payment record; high credit limit; and low balance. Also need to check
with the creditor to insure that they have a policy to report
authorized user accounts to all three major credit reporting agencies.

-10% affects Inquiries. Don't apply for credit unless you know you can
get it or that you need to get it; unnecessary credit inquiries are
going to hurt the scores - especially if your over all credit file is
small to begin with.

-10% affects Mix of Credit. Use different types of credit (revolving;
installment; auto; mortgage...) evenly.

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Default User" > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not going to bother arguing further with you, as you seem
> > > unwilling to listen.

> > As do you.

> The difference is, I've researched it, not relied on what one person
> told me.
>

> Brian

So have I.

Extensively.

And I've seen what having multiple Visa cards has done to my credit
score over the past few years.

Now I know why my interest rates have gone up thru what I considered to
be no fault of my own.

Too many freakin' cards and too much available credit which made me a
high risk.

I'm also speaking from experience.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2007 17:57:29 GMT, "Default User" >
> wrote:

> > You have bad or outdated information. Closing credit card accounts
> > HURTS your FICO score.
> >

> Baloney. Closing unused credit cards is not a good short term
> strategy for improving your credit score, but it certainly won't
> hurt.... especially if credit cards are your WaterLoo.

Yes, they will. It worsens your debt to credit ratio, and often
shortens your credit history. Of course, closing an account you got
last year probably won't make much difference.

> especially if credit cards are your WaterLoo.

Everything I've said is predicated on the person having financial
discipline. However, the original message was correct, cut up the
cards, don't close the account.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > The bank doesn't issue FICO scores. FICO does.
> > >

> > > Brian

> > Consider, just for once, that you MIGHT be wrong.
> > It's something that I am never afraid to admit and it's most often
> > to my benefit.

> I don't have to, because I'm not relying on what I remember of a single
> person's conversation. I can, and HAVE researched it thoroughly. As I
> said, I won't argue further with you, but invite you to do your own
> research. Start with a Google search on the exact phrase, "how credit
> scores work".
>

> Brian

Talk to a loan officer and apply for credit when you have 6 Visa cards
like I did, then come back and talk to me.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > As do you.

> > The difference is, I've researched it, not relied on what one person
> > told me.
> >

> > Brian

> So have I.
>
> Extensively.

You should be able to point to some of those places then.

> And I've seen what having multiple Visa cards has done to my credit
> score over the past few years.

I have 15+ open accounts, most of which are credit cards. My latest
Transunion FICO score is 817, updated 07/01/2007.

> Now I know why my interest rates have gone up thru what I considered
> to be no fault of my own.

I refinanced in 2001 at 4.875% (15 year fixed). They couldn't go any
lower because the loan amount was too small.

> Too many freakin' cards and too much available credit which made me a
> high risk.

That's not the way it works. My total credit lines, all added up, are
way into the 100s of thousands of available credit, yet you see what my
scores and interest rates are.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Talk to a loan officer and apply for credit when you have 6 Visa
> cards like I did, then come back and talk to me.

Read my other post.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

>> > The pic I posted is a good 10 years old. That poor kitty in my arms,
>> > Ladybug, died of old age about 7 years ago. :-( She was a sweet
>> > kitty...
>> > --
>> > Peace, Om

>> Om, I looked on the site and I saw you there. Last night I looked and
>> didn't see your picture.
>> I posted one of mine, but it is current, sad to say --
>> Dee Dee

> Should be there, but under my old nym, OmManiPadmeOmelet.
>
> ;-)
>
> http://www.recfoodcooking.org/mug/sh...th%20Kitty.jpg
>
> --
> Peace, Om

Thanks!
That is one tail on that cat!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news

> >> Om, I looked on the site and I saw you there. Last night I looked and
> >> didn't see your picture.
> >> I posted one of mine, but it is current, sad to say --
> >> Dee Dee

> > Should be there, but under my old nym, OmManiPadmeOmelet.
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.org/mug/sh...th%20Kitty.jpg
> >
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> Thanks!
> That is one tail on that cat!
> Dee Dee

She was a pretty girl...

Sweet too.

Her name was Ladybug as she was a torty.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Scandinavian delicacy

On Aug 14, 2:32 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Yes, that's the one! I knew it was one of the Scandinavian countries,
> but wasn't able to load the website as I wrote the post to double check
> which one and couldn't recall offhand. Anyhooo... I would love to know
> any history or customs about this cake? I think it is very festive.

We recently had a kransekake (cake of crowns) at my sister's wedding.
It was flown in from a bakery in Minneapolis. The cake was decorated
with Norwegian flags and was displayed on the same table as the
traditional white wedding cake. Guests are supposed to break off a
piece and eat it like a cookie.

The cake is really for anniversaries and weddings, maybe birthday
parties, too. The cake made out of a tower of circular cakes made from
ground almonds and powdered sugar and egg whites and is decorated with
runny icing.

Teflon pans are now available on the market. The Nordic House in
Oakland usually carries them but they were sold out the last time I
went there a few weeks ago.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 7:33 pm, (Little Malice)
wrote:
> Funny, because Poulsbo isn't that far away from me. Anyway, if
> you scroll down a bit, there's a good description and photo of
> a kranskake or "kransekage". I'd seen them before on television
> (dunno if it was FoodTV or not) and thought they looked neat.
> Reminds me of that gal who had a wedding dress of pastry...

Poulsbo is a very cute town! I enjoyed a visit there a few years ago.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Karen > said:
> On Aug 14, 7:33 pm, (Little Malice)
> wrote:

> > Funny, because Poulsbo isn't that far away from me. Anyway, if
> > you scroll down a bit, there's a good description and photo of
> > a kranskake or "kransekage". I'd seen them before on television
> > (dunno if it was FoodTV or not) and thought they looked neat.
> > Reminds me of that gal who had a wedding dress of pastry...

> Poulsbo is a very cute town! I enjoyed a visit there a few years ago.

Gosh, I haven't been there in many years. I don't remember the reason
for our last visit, but I do recall that our old Subaru broke a fan
belt on the way and we didn't stay long.

ObFood: Franz' bakeries make a "Poulsbo" bread that's got several
different nuts and seeds in it, very hearty. The recipe is connected
to the town somehow, but I forget exactly how. Great stuff, especially
toasted with some good peanut butter (like Adam's "Old Fashioned")
and some cream cheese...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:

> We recently had a kransekake (cake of crowns) at my sister's wedding.
> It was flown in from a bakery in Minneapolis. The cake was decorated
> with Norwegian flags and was displayed on the same table as the
> traditional white wedding cake. Guests are supposed to break off a
> piece and eat it like a cookie.

Is it a crunchy or dry cake or moist,soft cake?

> The cake is really for anniversaries and weddings, maybe birthday
> parties, too. The cake made out of a tower of circular cakes made from
> ground almonds and powdered sugar and egg whites and is decorated with
> runny icing.

I love the sound of it and the custom...but wouldn't like it if I were
at a wedding and my hands got all sticky from it? Does the icing harden?

> Teflon pans are now available on the market. The Nordic House in
> Oakland usually carries them but they were sold out the last time I
> went there a few weeks ago.
>
> Karen

Thanks for the reply. It must be pretty special if someone goes to the
trouble to fly one in!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Karen wrote:
>
> > We recently had a kransekake (cake of crowns) at my sister's wedding.
> > It was flown in from a bakery in Minneapolis. The cake was decorated
> > with Norwegian flags and was displayed on the same table as the
> > traditional white wedding cake. Guests are supposed to break off a
> > piece and eat it like a cookie.
> >

> Is it a crunchy or dry cake or moist,soft cake?

My recollection is that it's a bit chewy. Recipe below leads me to
think something like a chewy meringue but heavy. Macaroony? I think
I've had it only once.
Do a Google images search on kransekake. Some nice pictures including a
close-up.

> I love the sound of it and the custom...but wouldn't like it if I were
> at a wedding and my hands got all sticky from it? Does the icing harden?

Sure. Royal icing. No fat.

> > Teflon pans are now available on the market. The Nordic House in
> > Oakland usually carries them but they were sold out the last time I
> > went there a few weeks ago.

Nordic Ware in St. Louis Park, MN makes them, too.

Here's a recipe, randomly chosen from a site:

Norwegian Kransekake (Almond Ring Cake)
2 1/2 cups finely ground blanched almonds
2 1/2 cups finely ground unblanched almonds
4 1/3 cups sifted confectioners sugar (sift first, then measure)
3 egg whites
Icing:
Scant 1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 egg white
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine almonds and confectioner's sugar in a large saucepan. Add the
unbeaten egg white and mix to a firm dough. Place the pan over low heat
and knead until the dough is so hot that it is almost impossible to
handle.
Grease the ring pans for a 16-18 ring cake. Spoon the dough into a
cookie press or pastry tube with a wide round tip. Press the dough into
the rings, pressing the ends together to look as seamless as possible.
Bake 12-15 minutes, until dry and firm outside, but still slightly soft
inside. Cool slightly, then remove from the pans and cool completely.
For the icing, sift the confectioners sugar and combine with egg white
to make a thick icing. Make a small cone of paper and cut off the tip.
Pipe on garlands of icing and stack. Decorate with flags, bonbons or
candy.

Tradition! Tevye said. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Karen wrote:
>
>> We recently had a kransekake (cake of crowns) at my sister's wedding.
>> It was flown in from a bakery in Minneapolis.
>>

> Is it a crunchy or dry cake or moist,soft cake?

Crunchy.

>> The cake is really for anniversaries and weddings, maybe birthday
>> parties, too. The cake made out of a tower of circular cakes made from
>> ground almonds and powdered sugar and egg whites and is decorated with
>> runny icing.

> I love the sound of it and the custom...but wouldn't like it if I were
> at a wedding and my hands got all sticky from it? Does the icing harden?

>> Karen
>>

> Thanks for the reply. It must be pretty special if someone goes to the
> trouble to fly one in!

At my niece's rehearsal dinner in D.C. a few years ago, the groom's
aunts, of Norwegian heritage, from Iowa, had a kranskake which had
Norwegian and Swedish flags on it. (Niece treasures her Swedish roots.)
We each broke off a piece which they said was a symbol of uniting the
two families. It was very festive and nice of them to plan it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 5:40 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Is it a crunchy or dry cake or moist,soft cake?

It's a crunchy, then chewy kind of thing going on there

> I love the sound of it and the custom...but wouldn't like it if I were
> at a wedding and my hands got all sticky from it? Does the icing harden?

It does. It's like a cookie. In fact, at the Nordic House we bought a
package of kransekake cookies.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 5:45 am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> My recollection is that it's a bit chewy. Recipe below leads me to
> think something like a chewy meringue but heavy. Macaroony? I think
> I've had it only once.

Macaroony is a good description. I have the ring pans, and have made
kransekake a few times. Mine have never ever ever turned out pretty
like the pictures you see online. The small rings cook faster than the
big ones, mine stick to the pan, come out of the pan in sections,
glued together with icing, and I am not good at decorating with the
icing in the least iota. They end up looking like a kid's science
project. (Hence, the reason the cake was flown in from Minneapolis for
Marti's wedding.) That said, the bakery one did not taste as good as
the ones I remember being homemade in the past (but hey that is true
with most things, huh?)

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Karen > wrote:

> On Aug 17, 5:45 am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > My recollection is that it's a bit chewy. Recipe below leads me to
> > think something like a chewy meringue but heavy. Macaroony? I think
> > I've had it only once.

> Macaroony is a good description. I have the ring pans, and have made
> kransekake a few times. Mine have never ever ever turned out pretty
> like the pictures you see online. The small rings cook faster than the
> big ones, mine stick to the pan, come out of the pan in sections,
> glued together with icing, and I am not good at decorating with the
> icing in the least iota. They end up looking like a kid's science
> project. (Hence, the reason the cake was flown in from Minneapolis for
> Marti's wedding.) That said, the bakery one did not taste as good as
> the ones I remember being homemade in the past (but hey that is true
> with most things, huh?)
>
> Karen

<grin> What bakery did the cake.
And did you make peace with your sister about your daughter not being in
the wedding? (I think that's what I remember.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Karen > wrote:

> On Aug 16, 5:40 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> > Is it a crunchy or dry cake or moist,soft cake?

> It's a crunchy, then chewy kind of thing going on there
>
> > I love the sound of it and the custom...but wouldn't like it if I were
> > at a wedding and my hands got all sticky from it? Does the icing harden?

> It does. It's like a cookie. In fact, at the Nordic House we bought a
> package of kransekake cookies.
>
> Karen

Royal icing. No fat, just egg whites and powdered sugar and maybe some
almond ex. (If I were making it.) :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 18, 3:56 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> <grin> What bakery did the cake.
> And did you make peace with your sister about your daughter not being in
> the wedding? (I think that's what I remember.)

I think it was the Scandia Bakeshop. If the guy's name is George,
that's it.

Yes the wedding went well and the family is all happy about happiness.
Thanks for asking.

Karen