Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wooden Cutting Board Help

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where is

that
> rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I sniffed the floor,
> nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit me. It was the cutting
> board! It smelled like really moldy garlic. And I mean, bad! Worse than

> 3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.
>
> How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice? Oil

it?
> What would you suggest?
>
> It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are welcome.

Just scrub it down with some cleanser like Ajax and a scrub pad, then wash
in hot water.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> Lemon or vinegar, then stick it out in the direct sunlight for a few
>> hours. Turn it over and repeat. Expose the surface to the Sun's UV.
>>
>> Best disinfectant there is. :-)

> I'll add that pouring salt on a lemon half and using that to scrub
> with before setting it in the sun would be a good idea.

Salt, too!!?!?! That's a great idea! Thanks!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> That's probably the best way to go but weak bleach might be
>>> worthwhile before sanding and regular application of mineral
>>> oil (medicinal paraffin) does tend to prevent odors soaking in.
>>> To tell the truth, I gave up on my maple cutting board when it
>>> split in two and now use dish-washer safe plastic boards.
>>>

>> Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this house. :~) Maybe I
>> should be looking into getting a plastic cutting board then? This
>> particular wood cutting board has some sentimental value. It was
>> made by my husband's uncle, so we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you
>> recommend switching to plastic?
>>
>> kili

> I've never had that problem with my wood cutting boards in all the
> years I've used them.
>
> Was it allowed to stay wet for awhile somehow?

Yeah, sometimes it sits in the sink. That's probably what did it. Plus,
though, I've been chopping the heck out of garlic and onion. Not to
mention, this thing gets used at least 3 times a day. Raw chicken, garlic,
onion, celery, rare beef, this cutting board sees it all.

I'm going to follow everyone's suggestions and get it cleaned up.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2007-08-12, kilikini > wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, that's two votes for re-sanding. Hubby can do it. He is a
>>> carpenter after all.

>> I cut tons of garlic on my board. I just wash my wooden cutting
>> board with soap and water. If it gets rank, I clean it with a
>> water/bleach solution, usually a dollop of bleach to a cup of water.
>> Been working great for years. BTW, I don't oil my board.
>>
>> nb

> I don't get it. I've never had a cutting board get rank.
> All three are made from Oak.
>
> They are not allowed to stay wet after use.

I wish I could bottle the smell of this one (or maybe not). You'd realize
why I asked the question. You know how if you make something that's really
garlicky the night before and stick the dish in the sink? If it's not
washed right away, that odor of rotting garlic permeates the house. That's
what this cutting board smells like. It's bad. Not kidding.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> I wish I could bottle the smell of this one (or maybe not). You'd
> realize why I asked the question. You know how if you make something
> that's really garlicky the night before and stick the dish in the
> sink? If it's not washed right away, that odor of rotting garlic
> permeates the house. That's what this cutting board smells like.
> It's bad. Not kidding.
>
> kili

Christy, My daughter Debbie, who has a woodworking shop in her house,
thinks your Cutting Board's wood may have rotted. If it did, she thinks
that you may poison the foods you cut on it.

I told her that you and Allan think of it as an heirloom, after she said
you should throw it out.

Here is what she wrote. Please, do not be offended.

> Then tell them to put it on a shelf. If it smells rotten it's very
> likely because it *is* rotten, and they risk food poisoning by
> continuing to use it. Which is REALLY, REALLY STUPID. So unless
> they can easily afford a visit to the
> emergency room because they've given themselves food poisoning by
> NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THEIR NOSES ARE
> TELLING THEM, they should not continue using it.
>
> Would they eat meat that
> smelled like cat shit after washing it off with vinegar or lemon
> juice?! WOOD IS POROUS, IT CANNOT BE CLEANED IF IT IS ROTTEN!
> Sheesh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret wrote on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:20:31 GMT:

??>> I wish I could bottle the smell of this one (or maybe
??>> not). You'd realize why I asked the question. You know
??>> how if you make something that's really garlicky the night
??>> before and stick the dish in the sink? If it's not washed
??>> right away, that odor of rotting garlic permeates the
??>> house. That's what this cutting board smells like. It's
??>> bad. Not kidding.
??>>
??>> kili
??>>
ms> Christy, My daughter Debbie, who has a woodworking shop in
ms> her house, thinks your Cutting Board's wood may have
ms> rotted. If it did, she thinks that you may poison the
ms> foods you cut on it.

ms> I told her that you and Allan think of it as an heirloom,
ms> after she said you should throw it out.

ms> Here is what she wrote. Please, do not be offended.

??>> Then tell them to put it on a shelf.

I don't think I would use the method for a board used for
preparing food but rotted wood *can* be stabilised. It's done
for boats and I used it on a window frame that rotted 20 years
ago....it is still there. The method consists of drilling holes
and pouring in a slow setting epoxy resin sold for the purpose.
I think if there is sentimental value, the board could still be
used for serving. I bought the resin at a boat shop and it was
fairly expensive.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>

>> I wish I could bottle the smell of this one (or maybe not). You'd
>> realize why I asked the question. You know how if you make something
>> that's really garlicky the night before and stick the dish in the
>> sink? If it's not washed right away, that odor of rotting garlic
>> permeates the house. That's what this cutting board smells like.
>> It's bad. Not kidding.
>>
>> kili
>>

> Christy, My daughter Debbie, who has a woodworking shop in her house,
> thinks your Cutting Board's wood may have rotted. If it did, she
> thinks that you may poison the foods you cut on it.
>
> I told her that you and Allan think of it as an heirloom, after she
> said you should throw it out.
>
> Here is what she wrote. Please, do not be offended.
>
>> Then tell them to put it on a shelf. If it smells rotten it's very
>> likely because it *is* rotten, and they risk food poisoning by
>> continuing to use it. Which is REALLY, REALLY STUPID. So unless
>> they can easily afford a visit to the
>> emergency room because they've given themselves food poisoning by
>> NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THEIR NOSES ARE
>> TELLING THEM, they should not continue using it.
>>
>> Would they eat meat that
>> smelled like cat shit after washing it off with vinegar or lemon
>> juice?! WOOD IS POROUS, IT CANNOT BE CLEANED IF IT IS ROTTEN!
>> Sheesh!

I just noticed the smell yesterday, so I haven't used the cutting board
since. It's one solid piece of wood, so I don't think it's rotten; I just
think the food odors are rotten.

I'm going to try the lemon juice, salt, sun and sanding thing and if it
still stinks I'll tuck it away somewhere.

Thanks, Margaret!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> I'm going to try the lemon juice, salt, sun and sanding thing and if it
> still stinks I'll tuck it away somewhere.

Lili, toss it and get a textured plastic/vinyl one. Just a small one is
fine.

I always had to have a large wooden cutting board, then someone got
me a little plastic one, and I love it. Takes all the hot water you can give
it, including the dishwasher, and tucks in a drawer. Like this, but a bit
thicker, with more texture.

http://chicoandbourkes.com/images/34905.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote
>>
>> I'm going to try the lemon juice, salt, sun and sanding thing and if
>> it still stinks I'll tuck it away somewhere.

> Lili, toss it and get a textured plastic/vinyl one. Just a small one
> is fine.
>
> I always had to have a large wooden cutting board, then someone got
> me a little plastic one, and I love it. Takes all the hot water you
> can give it, including the dishwasher, and tucks in a drawer. Like
> this, but a bit thicker, with more texture.
>
> http://chicoandbourkes.com/images/34905.jpg

Thanks, Cyber. I think I'd need one slightly larger than that because we
spatchcock chickens and stuff, but I'll look for one like this. I
appreciate the input.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:56:35 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
>> "kilikini" > wrote
>>>
>>> I'm going to try the lemon juice, salt, sun and sanding thing and
>>> if it still stinks I'll tuck it away somewhere.

>> Lili, toss it and get a textured plastic/vinyl one. Just a small one
>> is fine.

> I usually use the textured plastic one (not the hard stuff), but
> I fell in love with this wooden bamboo cutting board the other
> day and will probably go back and get it. The bamboo cutting
> boards look really sharp and sturdy.
>
> My main board is currently the $3 Ikea special.
>
> -sw

I've seen the bamboo ones and have been curious about them. So, Steve, if
you buy one, would you report back? Thanks!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> I've seen the bamboo ones and have been curious about them. So, Steve, if
> you buy one, would you report back? Thanks!

I'm not Steve, and boy is he glad about that!, but I do have
a small bamboo cutting board. I like it a lot and am considering
replacing my medium size health hazard (badly cracked wooden
board) with one. They clean up nicely and dry fast. Mine has
held up quite well.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote
>
>> I've seen the bamboo ones and have been curious about them. So,
>> Steve, if you buy one, would you report back? Thanks!

> I'm not Steve, and boy is he glad about that!, but I do have
> a small bamboo cutting board. I like it a lot and am considering
> replacing my medium size health hazard (badly cracked wooden
> board) with one. They clean up nicely and dry fast. Mine has
> held up quite well.
>
> nancy

We always eyeball the bamboo ones. Maybe we should just spend the money.
Thanks, Nancy!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini > wrote:
>I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where is that
>rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I sniffed the floor,
>nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit me. It was the cutting
>board! It smelled like really moldy garlic. And I mean, bad! Worse than a
>3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.
>
>How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice? Oil it?
>What would you suggest?
>
>It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are welcome.

I wash mine then put it in the oven at 150-200F for 5
minutes, then oil it while it's warm. Hopefully the heat
is penetrating to kill anything the wash-water couldn't
get to.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> kilikini > wrote:
>> I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where
>> is that rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I
>> sniffed the floor, nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit
>> me. It was the cutting board! It smelled like really moldy garlic.
>> And I mean, bad! Worse than a 3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.
>>
>> How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice?
>> Oil it? What would you suggest?
>>
>> It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are
>> welcome.

> I wash mine then put it in the oven at 150-200F for 5
> minutes, then oil it while it's warm. Hopefully the heat
> is penetrating to kill anything the wash-water couldn't
> get to.
>
> --Blair

That's an interesting idea I would have never thought of. Thanks!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Yeah, sometimes it sits in the sink. That's probably what did it. Plus,
> though, I've been chopping the heck out of garlic and onion. Not to
> mention, this thing gets used at least 3 times a day. Raw chicken, garlic,
> onion, celery, rare beef, this cutting board sees it all.
>
> I'm going to follow everyone's suggestions and get it cleaned up.
>
> kili

Hope it works for ya. :-)
I understand sentimental attachment to cutting boards.

I never let mine sit in the sink. Soon's I'm done using it it gets a
quick scrub and rinse, then sets on it's edge behind the dish drainer to
dry. It just takes a few seconds unless I did raw meat, then it gets a
hot soap and water scrub and that takes little more time.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > notbob > wrote:

> >> I cut tons of garlic on my board. I just wash my wooden cutting
> >> board with soap and water. If it gets rank, I clean it with a
> >> water/bleach solution, usually a dollop of bleach to a cup of water.
> >> Been working great for years. BTW, I don't oil my board.
> >>
> >> nb

> > I don't get it. I've never had a cutting board get rank.
> > All three are made from Oak.
> >
> > They are not allowed to stay wet after use.

> I wish I could bottle the smell of this one (or maybe not). You'd realize
> why I asked the question. You know how if you make something that's really
> garlicky the night before and stick the dish in the sink? If it's not
> washed right away, that odor of rotting garlic permeates the house. That's
> what this cutting board smells like. It's bad. Not kidding.
>
> kili

I understand. :-)

Vinegar and/or lemon are great. I prefer not to bleach my boards unless
they get badly stained. I may use a bit of bleachy dish water sometimes
after doing chicken.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article k.net>,
margaret suran > wrote:

> Christy, My daughter Debbie, who has a woodworking shop in her house,
> thinks your Cutting Board's wood may have rotted. If it did, she thinks
> that you may poison the foods you cut on it.
>
> I told her that you and Allan think of it as an heirloom, after she said
> you should throw it out.
>
> Here is what she wrote. Please, do not be offended.
>
> > Then tell them to put it on a shelf. If it smells rotten it's very
> > likely because it *is* rotten, and they risk food poisoning by
> > continuing to use it. Which is REALLY, REALLY STUPID. So unless
> > they can easily afford a visit to the
> > emergency room because they've given themselves food poisoning by
> > NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THEIR NOSES ARE
> > TELLING THEM, they should not continue using it.
> >
> > Would they eat meat that
> > smelled like cat shit after washing it off with vinegar or lemon
> > juice?! WOOD IS POROUS, IT CANNOT BE CLEANED IF IT IS ROTTEN!
> > Sheesh!

Rotted wood is soft and crumbly.

I had to have a lot of rotted wood trim replace on the outside of my
house when I re-financed for major repairs.

I think TFM can tell rotted wood. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:56:35 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
> > "kilikini" > wrote
> >>
> >> I'm going to try the lemon juice, salt, sun and sanding thing and if it
> >> still stinks I'll tuck it away somewhere.

> > Lili, toss it and get a textured plastic/vinyl one. Just a small one is
> > fine.

> I usually use the textured plastic one (not the hard stuff), but
> I fell in love with this wooden bamboo cutting board the other
> day and will probably go back and get it. The bamboo cutting
> boards look really sharp and sturdy.
>
> My main board is currently the $3 Ikea special.
>
> -sw

Be prepared to sharpen your knives more often if you use bamboo. ;-)

They ARE really pretty tho'! I've seen them at Sun Harvest and Central
Market. I've avoided getting one as I'm clamping down on my finances at
the moment. A bamboo board falls under "want" not "need", and I'm
pretty much only buying "needs" right now. <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:30:14 GMT, Steve Wertz wrote:
>
> > I usually use the textured plastic one (not the hard stuff), but
> > I fell in love with this wooden bamboo cutting board the other
> > day and will probably go back and get it. The bamboo cutting
> > boards look really sharp and sturdy.

> I found the ones I was looking at online. I'm torn between the
> Kona Groove or the Kauai. This is just fore everfyday use. For
> very large roasts and messy jobs, I have a 20" X 28" thick vinyl
> board with drip edges.
>
> http://www.totallybamboo.com/index.c...ay&category_ID
> =44
>
> -sw

Man, that is an AWESOME website! Good prices and I'm drooling over that
bamboo counter <sigh>

I'm planning on doing a tiled counter.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I'm not Steve, and boy is he glad about that!, but I do have
> a small bamboo cutting board. I like it a lot and am considering
> replacing my medium size health hazard (badly cracked wooden
> board) with one. They clean up nicely and dry fast. Mine has
> held up quite well.

But how are your knife edges? I wondered that they might be as hard as
marble or metal, beautiful to look at, horrible to cut on. I'm
reassured when I see slight scratches in oak, because it lets me know
that the knife is winning the battle-- which is as it should be.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I'm not Steve, and boy is he glad about that!, but I do have
>> a small bamboo cutting board. I like it a lot and am considering
>> replacing my medium size health hazard (badly cracked wooden
>> board) with one. They clean up nicely and dry fast. Mine has
>> held up quite well.

> But how are your knife edges? I wondered that they might be as hard as
> marble or metal, beautiful to look at, horrible to cut on. I'm reassured
> when I see slight scratches in oak, because it lets me know that the knife
> is winning the battle-- which is as it should be.

Mine has knife scratches from when I'd had my knives sharpened
and rather overdid it slicing something. I assure you they are nowhere
near like cutting on marble or metal. Ack, just the thought sets my
teeth on edge.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Mine has knife scratches from when I'd had my knives sharpened
> and rather overdid it slicing something. I assure you they are nowhere
> near like cutting on marble or metal. Ack, just the thought sets my
> teeth on edge.

Mine too. Thanks for the info. That's good to know.
--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
>I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where is
>that
> rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I sniffed the floor,
> nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit me. It was the cutting
> board! It smelled like really moldy garlic. And I mean, bad! Worse than
> 3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.
>
> How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice? Oil
> it?
> What would you suggest?
>
> It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> kili

First clean with hot soapy water then dry. Now you can use vinegar/water mix
or bleach/water mix and wipe it down real well. If you have deep grooves in
the board and can get it sanded the do so. Once all this is done get the
following and make it up. This is the best thing for a cutting board.

1.0 tbsp. Beeswax (melted )
1.0 cup Mineral Oil (Food Safe)

Instructions:

Melt the beeswax in a double boiler. Add the mineral oil and continue to
heat till the wax and oil combine. Pour into a jar and allow to cool. If you
want the mixture to soak in, warm it a bit before use to turn back into a
liquid.

You can also melt the bees wax in the microwave as well as reheat it for
applying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Mine has knife scratches from when I'd had my knives sharpened
>> and rather overdid it slicing something. I assure you they are nowhere
>> near like cutting on marble or metal. Ack, just the thought sets my
>> teeth on edge.

> Mine too. Thanks for the info. That's good to know.

I remember on one of those celebrity chef kitchen makeover shows
on FoodTV, they put in a gorgeous inlaid granite counter for this
one couple and the guy immediately started cutting on it. I almost
went through the tv screen, get him a cutting board! I mean, even
the sound of the poor knives hitting the rock, doesn't that tell you
Don't do that??

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article k.net>,
> margaret suran > wrote:
>
>> Christy, My daughter Debbie, who has a woodworking shop in her house,
>> thinks your Cutting Board's wood may have rotted. If it did, she
>> thinks that you may poison the foods you cut on it.
>>
>> I told her that you and Allan think of it as an heirloom, after she
>> said you should throw it out.
>>
>> Here is what she wrote. Please, do not be offended.
>>
>>> Then tell them to put it on a shelf. If it smells rotten it's very
>>> likely because it *is* rotten, and they risk food poisoning by
>>> continuing to use it. Which is REALLY, REALLY STUPID. So unless
>>> they can easily afford a visit to the
>>> emergency room because they've given themselves food poisoning by
>>> NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THEIR NOSES ARE
>>> TELLING THEM, they should not continue using it.
>>>
>>> Would they eat meat that
>>> smelled like cat shit after washing it off with vinegar or lemon
>>> juice?! WOOD IS POROUS, IT CANNOT BE CLEANED IF IT IS ROTTEN!
>>> Sheesh!

> Rotted wood is soft and crumbly.
>
> I had to have a lot of rotted wood trim replace on the outside of my
> house when I re-financed for major repairs.
>
> I think TFM can tell rotted wood. :-)

Yeah, I don't think it's rotten, just stinky. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:56:50 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2007-08-12, kilikini > wrote:
>
>> Okay, that's two votes for re-sanding. Hubby can do it. He is a carpenter
>> after all.

>I cut tons of garlic on my board. I just wash my wooden cutting board
>with soap and water. If it gets rank, I clean it with a water/bleach
>solution, usually a dollop of bleach to a cup of water. Been working
>great for years. BTW, I don't oil my board.
>
>nb

that's how i treat mine. haven't yet had to resort to bleach, though.

kili, don't soak it. try giving it a good vinegar or bleach cleaning
before sanding, too. you may not have to go to that extreme.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"kilikini" > wrote
>>
>> I'm going to try the lemon juice, salt, sun and sanding thing and if it
>> still stinks I'll tuck it away somewhere.

>Lili, toss it and get a textured plastic/vinyl one. Just a small one is
>fine.
>
>I always had to have a large wooden cutting board, then someone got
>me a little plastic one, and I love it. Takes all the hot water you can give
>it, including the dishwasher, and tucks in a drawer. Like this, but a bit
>thicker, with more texture.
>
>http://chicoandbourkes.com/images/34905.jpg

if you're germaphobic, i can see plastic, but they don't feel right to
me. plus i think they're a lot tougher on your knives.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:21:31 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I'm not Steve, and boy is he glad about that!, but I do have
>> a small bamboo cutting board. I like it a lot and am considering
>> replacing my medium size health hazard (badly cracked wooden
>> board) with one. They clean up nicely and dry fast. Mine has
>> held up quite well.

>But how are your knife edges? I wondered that they might be as hard as
>marble or metal, beautiful to look at, horrible to cut on. I'm
>reassured when I see slight scratches in oak, because it lets me know
>that the knife is winning the battle-- which is as it should be.
>

>--Lia

but, but...perfesser sheldon says if there are any knife cuts on your
board you have no knife skills. you stinky wop bitch!

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:37:35 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:

>>> Sand it smooth and re-finish it.

>> That's probably the best way to go but weak bleach might be
>> worthwhile before sanding and regular application of mineral
>> oil (medicinal paraffin) does tend to prevent odors soaking in.
>> To tell the truth, I gave up on my maple cutting board when it
>> split in two and now use dish-washer safe plastic boards.
>>

>Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this house. :~) Maybe I should be
>looking into getting a plastic cutting board then? This particular wood
>cutting board has some sentimental value. It was made by my husband's
>uncle, so we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you recommend switching to
>plastic?
>
>kili

personally, i wouldn't. do you want all them evil polluting trees to
live forever?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:47:25 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,

>>> Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this house. :~) Maybe I
>>> should be looking into getting a plastic cutting board then? This
>>> particular wood cutting board has some sentimental value. It was
>>> made by my husband's uncle, so we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you
>>> recommend switching to plastic?
>>>
>>> kili

>> I've never had that problem with my wood cutting boards in all the
>> years I've used them.
>>
>> Was it allowed to stay wet for awhile somehow?

>Yeah, sometimes it sits in the sink. That's probably what did it. Plus,
>though, I've been chopping the heck out of garlic and onion. Not to
>mention, this thing gets used at least 3 times a day. Raw chicken, garlic,
>onion, celery, rare beef, this cutting board sees it all.
>
>I'm going to follow everyone's suggestions and get it cleaned up.
>
>kili

soaking it is the problem, then. i can usually get it up to wash the
board, even if everything else is left to grow mold.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:55:08 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
>> Yeah, sometimes it sits in the sink. That's probably what did it. Plus,
>> though, I've been chopping the heck out of garlic and onion. Not to
>> mention, this thing gets used at least 3 times a day. Raw chicken, garlic,
>> onion, celery, rare beef, this cutting board sees it all.
>>
>> I'm going to follow everyone's suggestions and get it cleaned up.
>>
>> kili

>Hope it works for ya. :-)
>I understand sentimental attachment to cutting boards.

i find myself absurdly fond of anything in the kitchen that i use
regularly.

>I never let mine sit in the sink. Soon's I'm done using it it gets a
>quick scrub and rinse, then sets on it's edge behind the dish drainer to
>dry. It just takes a few seconds unless I did raw meat, then it gets a
>hot soap and water scrub and that takes little more time.

atta girl!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:46:43 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I'm not Steve, and boy is he glad about that!

> Hmm, I don't know. Send pictures and let me decide. I think
> it's time for a change of pace.
>
> -sw

I'm sure Nancy is good looking -- but what I'm really interested in is
seeing what you look like, Steve.
Can you post a picture?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A bamboo board falls under "want" not "need", and I'm
> pretty much only buying "needs" right now. <G>
> --
> Peace, Om

One and the same to me, Om.
Janis Joplin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> >> Was it allowed to stay wet for awhile somehow?

> >Yeah, sometimes it sits in the sink. That's probably what did it. Plus,
> >though, I've been chopping the heck out of garlic and onion. Not to
> >mention, this thing gets used at least 3 times a day. Raw chicken, garlic,
> >onion, celery, rare beef, this cutting board sees it all.
> >
> >I'm going to follow everyone's suggestions and get it cleaned up.
> >
> >kili
> >

> soaking it is the problem, then. i can usually get it up to wash the
> board, even if everything else is left to grow mold.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I've never soaked my boards.
It gets a quick scrub and rinse when I am done with it, then set aside
to dry.

Dad actually grabbed it the other day when I was doing some prep with
him in the kitchen and he took care of it. He actually asked me if I'd
only used one or both sides so he'd know how to wash it. <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:55:08 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "kilikini" > wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, sometimes it sits in the sink. That's probably what did it. Plus,
> >> though, I've been chopping the heck out of garlic and onion. Not to
> >> mention, this thing gets used at least 3 times a day. Raw chicken, garlic,
> >> onion, celery, rare beef, this cutting board sees it all.
> >>
> >> I'm going to follow everyone's suggestions and get it cleaned up.
> >>
> >> kili

> >Hope it works for ya. :-)
> >I understand sentimental attachment to cutting boards.
> >

> i find myself absurdly fond of anything in the kitchen that i use
> regularly.

Mine belonged to my mom.
I've only been in charge of the kitchen now for about 6 years since she
got to ill to cook, then died.

> >I never let mine sit in the sink. Soon's I'm done using it it gets a
> >quick scrub and rinse, then sets on it's edge behind the dish drainer to
> >dry. It just takes a few seconds unless I did raw meat, then it gets a
> >hot soap and water scrub and that takes little more time.

> atta girl!
>
> your pal,
> blake

<shrugs> It's just part of my routine...

I tend to clean up as I go. I can't stand a cruddy kitchen. There is
usually very little to clean up after a meal, except for the actual
eating plates, bowls and utensiles.

Habit.

I've been meaning to submit that as a survey.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:46:43 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not Steve, and boy is he glad about that!

> > Hmm, I don't know. Send pictures and let me decide. I think
> > it's time for a change of pace.
> >
> > -sw

> I'm sure Nancy is good looking -- but what I'm really interested in is
> seeing what you look like, Steve.
> Can you post a picture?
> Dee Dee

He is the cuddly teddy bear type. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> A bamboo board falls under "want" not "need", and I'm
> > pretty much only buying "needs" right now. <G>
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> One and the same to me, Om.
> Janis Joplin

<lol>

But I'm trying to SAVE money so I can give up Visa and high interest
rates!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> But I'm trying to SAVE money so I can give up Visa and high interest
> rates!!!
> --
> Peace, Om

When I was ill in the late 90's, even though we had great insurance, it took
us several years to get out from under. It's tough.
Low interest rates are OK, but No Debt is a wonderful thing.
I wish you the best.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote:
> I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where is that
> rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I sniffed the floor,
> nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit me. It was the cutting
> board! It smelled like really moldy garlic. And I mean, bad! Worse than a
> 3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.
>
> How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice? Oil it?
> What would you suggest?
>
> It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are welcome.

Turn it into kindling for starting charcoal... with that stink be sure
the wind is heading towards that neighbor you despise.

Modern plastic boards are much better functionally than any wooden
board, they cost much less so you can own many, they don't absorb
odors and and they can go into the dishwasher. I own quite a few very
nice looking and expensive wooden boards but they are now relegated to
serving, not prepping. I use plastic boards exclusively to work on.
And many of the new plastic boards are very aesthetically pleasing,
they are available in many exotic colors and configurations to satisfy
every taste. Some of my favorites I spotted on sale in the housewares
aisle of the stupidmarket, for like $3-$4... I even have some very
functional ones from the local 99 cents store. The modern plastic
boards don't hurt your knives and the knives don't hurt the boards...
and no maintenence other than a trip through the dishwasher... if you
want you can soak the plastic boards in the roasting pan of hot soapy
water, leave it over night if you're not up to doing dishes after
dinner... I often leave the roasting pan filled with dish soapy water
with the plastic board in it, if not for the dish washing liquid the
cats would be licking everything clean, and I don't care only that all
that grease isn't good for them. The plastic boards don't wear out
per se, instead after 2-3 years like all plastics they biodegrade,
you'll all of a sudden notice how the surface is beginning to develop
a "peach fuzz/velveteen" feel, you can still use it like that but I
prefer to toss it and get a new plastic board for $3. I once used to
be stubbornly dead set against plastic boards, had to be wood (don't
really know why, die hard I guess) but I made a complete reversal... I
would never go back to wooden boards.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> > But I'm trying to SAVE money so I can give up Visa and high interest
> > rates!!!
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> When I was ill in the late 90's, even though we had great insurance, it took
> us several years to get out from under. It's tough.
> Low interest rates are OK, but No Debt is a wonderful thing.
> I wish you the best.
> Dee Dee

I still have 4 years to go on the morgage. :-)

Eliminating credit card debt is a good thing at current interest rates.
I killed all cards but the one at 14.98%.

:-(

And it seldom gets used.

I've charged ALL of my gas for the car for over 20 years but it gets
paid off in full every month so there is no interest charge if the bill
is paid on time.

As far as the 3K in hospital bills for my dad's appendicitis surgery
last year, I pay the 3 bills $50.00 each per month directly to the
Dr's/hospital, so there is no interest. No way in HELL am I going to use
Visa for those!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.