Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jägermeister

Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.

The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 11:27 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
> bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
> the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.
>
> The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
> freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
> freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
> the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]
>
> Bob

After the first three or so, it doesn't matter. It's friggin' cough
syrup, anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
> bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about the
> same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.
>
> The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep freezer.
> Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the freezer? I've
> been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but the licorice and
> cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]
>
> Bob

IMO, it's akin to cough syrup, something you drink in the winter when you're
feeling chilly. It tastes like Vicks Formula 44, and I've never gotten a
buzz from it.
I've been to bars where they have a Jagermeister freezer thingy that
dispenses icy-cold shots of the stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
> bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
> the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.
>
> The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
> freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
> freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
> the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]
>
> Bob

While on a training deployment with my disaster response team we all hit
this bar up one night. I was introduced to "Jagerbombs" there. A shot
of Jagermeister dropped (jigger and all!) down into a cup half full of
Red Bull and then chugged down. What a hoot... a bunch of grown,
professional adults tossing those things back as if we were back in
college again. Ah.. fond memories...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
>> bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
>> the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.
>>
>> The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
>> freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
>> freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first,
>> but the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]
>>
>> Bob

> While on a training deployment with my disaster response team we all hit
> this bar up one night. I was introduced to "Jagerbombs" there. A shot
> of Jagermeister dropped (jigger and all!) down into a cup half full of
> Red Bull and then chugged down. What a hoot... a bunch of grown,
> professional adults tossing those things back as if we were back in
> college again. Ah.. fond memories...

I was in a similar situation. The drink of favor was an "Irish Car Bomb"

http://www.cocktail.com/recipes/i/IrishCarBomb.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
> bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
> the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.
>
> The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
> freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
> freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
> the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]
>
> Bob

We keep it in the fridge. I'm not a fan, but I think it's an acquired
taste.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet.

Actually, this stuff became very popular with the college kids and
underage drinkers. Not sure why. Maybe it's because the stuff is
super-sweet, so it disappears into mixed drinks made with Coke, etc.

For all I know, this information may be out of date. Drink fads come
and go.

I was introduced to Jagermeister years ago, by a friend from Denmark.
He recommended it to me as a "digestif" - drunk neat to calm a queasy
stomach, or to help digest a big meal.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> I was introduced to Jagermeister years ago, by a friend from Denmark.
> He recommended it to me as a "digestif" - drunk neat to calm a queasy
> stomach, or to help digest a big meal.

That is how I always saw it when I lived in Germany. It even came in
small bottles perfect for single servings after dinner.
I thought it quite disgusting at the time. I did enjoy Kummel from
Denmark served cold before dinner or Apfelkorn served in small cold
shots after dinner at times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 09:28:59 -0700, MayQueen wrote:
>
> > We keep it in the fridge. I'm not a fan, but I think it's an acquired
> > taste.

> Yeah, acquired after you're already plastered.

It is shots for wimps, the guys who need their liquor to be sweet and
flavoured because they want to knock back shots but can't handle liquor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there ,,, It's pretty bad
> at first, but the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you...
> [hic]
>
> Bob

I'm getting to be an old man and I remember the taste of an overnight
laxative my grandma gave me when I was five. It was called "Castoria" --
dark, alcohol-rich and the flavor was just like Jager. Someone here
described it as licorice and cabbage. Very close.

Ken K

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:
>Must be an "old man" drink

It's a drink for people who don't like real booze.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:10:56 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Julian Vrieslander wrote:
>
>> I was introduced to Jagermeister years ago, by a friend from Denmark.
>> He recommended it to me as a "digestif" - drunk neat to calm a queasy
>> stomach, or to help digest a big meal.
>>

>That is how I always saw it when I lived in Germany. It even came in
>small bottles perfect for single servings after dinner.
>I thought it quite disgusting at the time. I did enjoy Kummel from
>Denmark served cold before dinner or Apfelkorn served in small cold
>shots after dinner at times.

chilled peppermint schnapps is pretty nice. (only dekuyper's - the
rest are pretty gruesome.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jægertini

zxcvbob wrote:
> Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
> bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
> the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.
>
> The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
> freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
> freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
> the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you...

Jægertini

1/2 ounce Jagermeister, from the freezer
3 ounces gin, cold
???

I can't figure out what to use for a garnish. An olive or a pickled
onion doesn't seem quite right... [hic]

Maybe a sweet gherkin... Or a Rootbeer Barrel candy....

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-25, zxcvbob > wrote:

> I can't figure out what to use for a garnish. An olive or a pickled
> onion doesn't seem quite right... [hic]
>
> Maybe a sweet gherkin... Or a Rootbeer Barrel candy....

Elk turd?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Jægertini
>
> 1/2 ounce Jagermeister, from the freezer
> 3 ounces gin, cold
> ???
>
> I can't figure out what to use for a garnish. An olive or a pickled onion
> doesn't seem quite right... [hic]
>
> Maybe a sweet gherkin... Or a Rootbeer Barrel candy....

A disk of galangal. Or maybe a canned mandarin orange segment. Around the
holidays, a cube of fruitcake.

Bob, shuddering

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-08-25, zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> I can't figure out what to use for a garnish. An olive or a pickled
>> onion doesn't seem quite right... [hic]
>>
>> Maybe a sweet gherkin... Or a Rootbeer Barrel candy....

> Elk turd?

Those are harder to find around here than you might think.

The drink actually wasn't bad. The gin cuts the sweetness of the Jager,
and the Jager takes some of the edge off the gin. It was better than
that time I mixed sweet vermouth in my gin instead of dry (now that was
nasty.)

Bob