Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping Tammy

Tammy,

I tried replying to your note, but I got an auto reply...that you
aren't there....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:50:47 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Tammy,
>
>I tried replying to your note, but I got an auto reply...that you
>aren't there....

I'm not there. Not "in the office" that is. That's just an
auto-reply due to the fact that I've been on medical leave for the
past month. I answer mail I want to answer. Little of which is the
"work-related" mail. My reply is in your inbox :-)

TammyM

ObFood:

Muhammara

This stuff is fabulous. You will find all kinds of variations. I
actually prefer the recipe (I think in one of Claudia Roden's books)
that uses tomato paste. When I have time, I'll key in. Meantime,
give this a try. I get pomegranate molasses at a small
Afghani-Iranian market. Any mid-east/central asian market should have
it, as will most "gourmet" grocers. I love this stuff just schmeared
on pita bread.

This recipe was first mentioned on eGullet on the Raw Sauce thread.

This is one of the outstanding dips of the eastern Mediterranean, as
delicious and striking as the far more famous hummus and bab ghanoush.
I urge egulleteers to take the time to make it. I promise it will be a
revelation.

Try it with meat or fish kabobs, or simply with crisp pita triangles
or warmed floppy lavash. The dip will keep well for up to one week in
a closed container in the refrigerator, improving a little each day.
REturn to room temperature before serving.

2-1/2 lb red bell peppers
1 small hot chili, like Fresno or hot Hungarian
1-1/2 c walnuts, coarsely ground
1/2 c crumbled wheat crackers
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 T pomegranate molasses, more to taste
1/2 tsp ground cumin, more for garnish
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 T olive oil, more for garnish

1. Roast peppers and chili over a gas burner or under a broiler,
turning frequently until blackened and blistered all over, about 12
minutes. Place in a covered bowl to steam for 10 minutes. Rub off
skins; slit peppers open and remove stems, membranes and seeds. Spread
peppers, smooth side up, on a paper towel and let drain for 10
minutes.

2. In a food processor, grind walnuts and crackers with lemon juice,
pomegranate molasses, cumin, salt and sugar until smooth. Add bell
peppers and process until pureed and creamy. With machine on, add
olive oil in a thin stream. Add chili to taste. If paste is too thick,
thin with 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Refrigerate overnight.

3. To serve, let dip come to room temperature and sprinkle with cumin
and olive oil.

Yield: about 3 cups.