Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seedless Watermelons

It seems as if the only watermelons available in my area now are
seedless. I guess that prevents any watermelon seed spitting contests,
and now, as my parents warned me, I do not have to worry about eating
a seed, and growing a watermelon in my stomach.

My parents and relatives at family gatherings would also say "don't
eat so much watermelon, you will pee in the bed."

Now, if they could only invent a seedless, waterless watermelon, I
could eat to my hearts content without any worry,.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 2:43 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> said...
>
> > It seems as if the only watermelons available in my area now are
> > seedless. I guess that prevents any watermelon seed spitting contests,
> > and now, as my parents warned me, I do not have to worry about eating
> > a seed, and growing a watermelon in my stomach.

Your parents were assholes if they told you that.

> > My parents and relatives at family gatherings would also say "don't
> > eat so much watermelon, you will pee in the bed."

Now THAT could actually be true. Eating lots of watermelon makes me
pee a bunch.

> > Now, if they could only invent a seedless, waterless watermelon, I
> > could eat to my hearts content without any worry,.

> > Tom

> I tried a seedless watermelon last year and found it to taste almost
> "mediciny" and certainly less flavorful then the seeded ones.

I've had some decent seedless ones, though they are not really
seedless. They just have underdeveloped seeds.

> Doesn't every kid get the watermelon in the stomach speech??

Not MY kid. I don't tell him lies. I don't permit other adults to
lie to him either. They all know if they did I'd tell Johnny
something like, "Aunt _____ is a liar. She thinks it's OK to lie to
children." He has one uncle who would joke about something like that,
but would make sure that my son was disabused of the notion if the
uncle saw any indication that he'd really believed it.

I teach my son to disrespect liars.

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I wouldn't eat seedless watermelon myself, and it doesn't sound natural.

If you don't like eating the seeds, then pick them out with a knife.

If you are worried about ****ing in your sleep, you better not drink
anything either.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> It seems as if the only watermelons available in my area now are
> seedless. I guess that prevents any watermelon seed spitting contests,
> and now, as my parents warned me, I do not have to worry about eating
> a seed, and growing a watermelon in my stomach.
>
> My parents and relatives at family gatherings would also say "don't
> eat so much watermelon, you will pee in the bed."
>
> Now, if they could only invent a seedless, waterless watermelon, I
> could eat to my hearts content without any worry,.
>
> Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Doesn't every kid get the watermelon in the stomach speech??

Yes, as part of the "don't refreeze meat", "don't sit so
close to the TV set", and "don't play with blasting caps"
speech.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I tried a seedless watermelon last year and found it to taste almost
> "mediciny" and certainly less flavorful then the seeded ones.
>
> Doesn't every kid get the watermelon in the stomach speech??
>
> Andy

I don't care for the taste either and since seedless seems to be the
only type sold around here I have given up on watermelon which was once
a favorite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> Doesn't every kid get the watermelon in the stomach speech??

> Yes, as part of the "don't refreeze meat", "don't sit so
> close to the TV set", and "don't play with blasting caps"
> speech.

Whats wrong with blasting caps?

When I was a kid we had anthracite coal heat in the house and I was
responsible for filling the stoker bin and taking out the ashes. One day
I found a bundle wrapped in heavy paper that apparently came with the
recent coal delivery. I unwrapped it and found about a dozen blasting
caps. I told my dad who called the coal company. The guy stopped buy and
my dad gave him back the blasting caps.

If that happened today we would need to call AlGore, bring in the FBI,
EPA, governors task force, have a mandatory 20 mile radius evacuation
for 2 days and have the bomb disposal unit flown in by helicopter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George said...

> Andy wrote:
>

>> I tried a seedless watermelon last year and found it to taste almost
>> "mediciny" and certainly less flavorful then the seeded ones.
>>
>> Doesn't every kid get the watermelon in the stomach speech??
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I don't care for the taste either and since seedless seems to be the
> only type sold around here I have given up on watermelon which was once
> a favorite.

I happened to see seedless at two separate farm stands within the past
week. Both $6.00/ea. I seem to remember something more like $0.30 a pound!?
Maybe it's just been too long.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l said...

> Not until after an attorney from one of those TV ad tells us it's ok (you
> know, the ad "we'll get you the money you DESERVE") - I'm sure Mr. TV
> Attorney would want us to talk to EPA, etc only after he helps us find the
> right words to express how horrible of an experience it was.

I recently heard a TV attorney barking about the danger of some drug. "If
you've suffered any of these side effects or died recently..." WTF?!!

OK, Matlock...

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message

> I don't care for the taste either and since seedless seems to be the only
> type sold around here I have given up on watermelon which was once a
> favorite.

They suck. Once in a while I can find a real one and if I do, I grab it.
Won't touch the seedless any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "George" > wrote in message
>>>

>> I don't care for the taste either and since seedless seems to be the only
>> type sold around here I have given up on watermelon which was once a
>> favorite.

> They suck. Once in a while I can find a real one and if I do, I grab it.
> Won't touch the seedless any more.

Seedless is all I've seen this summer and every single chunk has been
perfect.

I finished off a quart of precut tonight when I got home from a hot day at
the
lake, and there is a big wedge in there that has not been cut.

Seedfull might be better, but the seedless I've had this year has been
plenty
good.

It's been my one craving of the summer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Doesn't every kid get the watermelon in the stomach speech??
>
> Andy

It's a requirement for childhood isn't it? lol

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Seedless is all I've seen this summer and every single chunk has been
> perfect.
>
> I finished off a quart of precut tonight when I got home from a hot day at
> the
> lake, and there is a big wedge in there that has not been cut.
>
> Seedfull might be better, but the seedless I've had this year has been
> plenty
> good.
>
> It's been my one craving of the summer.

I've had the same experience. I've been getting some pre-cut seedless
melon and it's been great.

I did get one of those pure heart melons uncut a few weeks ago and was
terribly disappointed though. It was mealy and tasteless.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MayQueen" > wrote
>> It's been my one craving of the summer.

> I've had the same experience. I've been getting some pre-cut seedless
> melon and it's been great.

I actually went to the grocery just for watermelon, more than once.
Highly unusual.

> I did get one of those pure heart melons uncut a few weeks ago and was
> terribly disappointed though. It was mealy and tasteless.

I think I might get emotionally involved if that happened to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> t...
> >
> >"George" > wrote in message
> > > >
> > > I don't care for the taste either and since seedless seems to be
> > > the only type sold around here I have given up on watermelon
> > > which was once a favorite.

> > They suck. Once in a while I can find a real one and if I do, I
> > grab it. Won't touch the seedless any more.
> >

> Seedless is all I've seen this summer and every single chunk has been
> perfect.
>
> I finished off a quart of precut tonight when I got home from a hot
> day at the lake, and there is a big wedge in there that has not been
> cut.
>
> Seedfull might be better, but the seedless I've had this year has
> been plenty good.

I got a half one at the produce store because that's all they had in
the "cut" section. It's not bad at all. Very sweet, perhaps a bit less
watermelon flavor than the big ones, but texture was good. All in all,
quite acceptable.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote
>> Seedfull might be better, but the seedless I've had this year has
>> been plenty good.

> I got a half one at the produce store because that's all they had in
> the "cut" section. It's not bad at all. Very sweet, perhaps a bit less
> watermelon flavor than the big ones, but texture was good. All in all,
> quite acceptable.

I had not noticed that seedless are always the small, round ones.
In fact it has been a long time since I've seen a big oblong
watermelon. I imagine they carry the small ones because many
do not want that much watermelon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 3:05 pm, "Gino" > wrote:
> I wouldn't eat seedless watermelon myself, and it doesn't sound natural.

It's hybridized, not genetically engineered. It's just as natural as
any other watermelon.

> If you don't like eating the seeds, then pick them out with a knife.

Do you feel the same way about limes? I'm not really sticking up for
seedless watermelons, which generally aren't as good, but seedless can
be nice, such as in navel oranges.

--Bryan

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 5-Aug-2007, George > wrote:
>
>> Whats wrong with blasting caps?
>>
>> When I was a kid we had anthracite coal heat in the house and I was
>> responsible for filling the stoker bin and taking out the ashes. One day
>> I found a bundle wrapped in heavy paper that apparently came with the
>> recent coal delivery. I unwrapped it and found about a dozen blasting
>> caps. I told my dad who called the coal company. The guy stopped buy and
>> my dad gave him back the blasting caps.
>>
>> If that happened today we would need to call AlGore, bring in the FBI,
>> EPA, governors task force, have a mandatory 20 mile radius evacuation
>> for 2 days and have the bomb disposal unit flown in by helicopter.

> Not until after an attorney from one of those TV ad tells us it's ok (you
> know, the ad "we'll get you the money you DESERVE") - I'm sure Mr. TV
> Attorney would want us to talk to EPA, etc only after he helps us find the
> right words to express how horrible of an experience it was.

I realized I omitted that. While the news helicopters were circling
overhead the various versions of Dewey, Cheatum & Howe would be calling
to assure us that they can get us the money we deserve for our situation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> l, not -l said...
>
>> Not until after an attorney from one of those TV ad tells us it's ok (you
>> know, the ad "we'll get you the money you DESERVE") - I'm sure Mr. TV
>> Attorney would want us to talk to EPA, etc only after he helps us find the
>> right words to express how horrible of an experience it was.

> I recently heard a TV attorney barking about the danger of some drug. "If
> you've suffered any of these side effects or died recently..." WTF?!!
>
> OK, Matlock...
>
> Andy

No, the attorneys who are looking to move wealth to themselves leave no
stone unturned. I was recently talking to a family member and she told
me that various attorneys had called her to let her know they could make
a lot of money by having her mother's estate sue over something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 6, 5:53 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Default User" > wrote
>
> >> Seedfull might be better, but the seedless I've had this year has
> >> been plenty good.

> > I got a half one at the produce store because that's all they had in
> > the "cut" section. It's not bad at all. Very sweet, perhaps a bit less
> > watermelon flavor than the big ones, but texture was good. All in all,
> > quite acceptable.

> I had not noticed that seedless are always the small, round ones.
> In fact it has been a long time since I've seen a big oblong
> watermelon. I imagine they carry the small ones because many
> do not want that much watermelon.

Have you read much (any?) Richard Brautigan? In Watermelon Sugar? So
the Wind Won't Blow it All Away?

--Bryan, who likes a lot of stuff that starts with the letter, "B."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> t...
>> "George" > wrote in message
>>> I don't care for the taste either and since seedless seems to be the only
>>> type sold around here I have given up on watermelon which was once a
>>> favorite.

>> They suck. Once in a while I can find a real one and if I do, I grab it.
>> Won't touch the seedless any more.
>>

> Seedless is all I've seen this summer and every single chunk has been
> perfect.
>
> I finished off a quart of precut tonight when I got home from a hot day at
> the
> lake, and there is a big wedge in there that has not been cut.
>
> Seedfull might be better, but the seedless I've had this year has been
> plenty
> good.
>
> It's been my one craving of the summer.

I have tried the seedless on at least a half dozen occasions in case it
was just a bad one and didn't like it. Maybe the stuff that makes its
way here is different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "MayQueen" > wrote
>>> It's been my one craving of the summer.

>> I've had the same experience. I've been getting some pre-cut seedless
>> melon and it's been great.

> I actually went to the grocery just for watermelon, more than once.
> Highly unusual.
>
>> I did get one of those pure heart melons uncut a few weeks ago and was
>> terribly disappointed though. It was mealy and tasteless.
>>

> I think I might get emotionally involved if that happened to me.

I kind of did. I was so looking forward to having it. I have
specifically gone to the store for watermelon as well.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 14:43:53 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

said...

>> It seems as if the only watermelons available in my area now are
>> seedless. I guess that prevents any watermelon seed spitting contests,
>> and now, as my parents warned me, I do not have to worry about eating
>> a seed, and growing a watermelon in my stomach.
>>
>> My parents and relatives at family gatherings would also say "don't
>> eat so much watermelon, you will pee in the bed."
>>
>> Now, if they could only invent a seedless, waterless watermelon, I
>> could eat to my hearts content without any worry,.
>>
>> Tom

>I tried a seedless watermelon last year and found it to taste almost
>"mediciny" and certainly less flavorful then the seeded ones.
>
>Doesn't every kid get the watermelon in the stomach speech??
>
>Andy

i knew a girl whose parents told her that. instead she got pregnant
at a picnic.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 13:22:02 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't every kid get the watermelon in the stomach speech??

>Yes, as part of the "don't refreeze meat", "don't sit so
>close to the TV set", and "don't play with blasting caps"
>speech.

i thought it was 'don't play with blasting caps so close to the t.v.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 13:22:02 -0700, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >>
> >> Doesn't every kid get the watermelon in the stomach speech??

> > Yes, as part of the "don't refreeze meat", "don't sit so
> > close to the TV set", and "don't play with blasting caps"
> > speech.

> i thought it was 'don't play with blasting caps so close to the t.v.'

When I was a kid, they showed us a safety movie in school about not
playing with blasting caps. At one point they blew up a baseball with
one to show the danger. My reaction, "That was cool! I wish I could get
me some blasting caps." Before the movie I'd never even heard of them.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User said...

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 13:22:02 -0700, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:

>> > Yes, as part of the "don't refreeze meat", "don't sit so
>> > close to the TV set", and "don't play with blasting caps"
>> > speech.

>> i thought it was 'don't play with blasting caps so close to the t.v.'

> When I was a kid, they showed us a safety movie in school about not
> playing with blasting caps. At one point they blew up a baseball with
> one to show the danger. My reaction, "That was cool! I wish I could get
> me some blasting caps." Before the movie I'd never even heard of them.
>
> Brian

We had to settle for the lowly DIRTBOMBS for our fun.

Andy