Deepak Saxena

Default Caramelized(burnt...) onion foccacia

I decided to make foccacia last weekend and wanted to add
caramelized onions to the top. The recipe I used (from
"Vegeterian Cooking for Everyone") said to caramelize the
onions then put them on the loaf after it's risen. I did
so, but when I baked the bread, the onions completely burned.
Couple of questions/issues:

- I didn't caramelize them with any wine, but just fried them
on low heat until they were nice, dark, and soft. Would the
lack of moisture cause this problem?

- Should I just place them on top half-way through the baking?

Tnx,
~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - - http://www.plexity.net
Arri London

Deepak Saxena wrote:

> I decided to make foccacia last weekend and wanted to add
> caramelized onions to the top. The recipe I used (from
> "Vegeterian Cooking for Everyone") said to caramelize the
> onions then put them on the loaf after it's risen. I did
> so, but when I baked the bread, the onions completely burned.
> Couple of questions/issues:
>
> - I didn't caramelize them with any wine, but just fried them
> on low heat until they were nice, dark, and soft. Would the
> lack of moisture cause this problem?
>
> - Should I just place them on top half-way through the baking?
>
> Tnx,
> ~Deepak

Typically when I caramelise onions, they aren't really dark. Just a nice
brown. Perhaps you went too far. Since they are going to be baked
further, you might do better just taking them to a light brown and let
the oven finish the work.

If you place them on top halfway through, they probably won't sink in as
nicely as otherwise.

Caramelized Onion Chutney [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-03-2007 01:59 AM
Caramelized Onion Quesadillas Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-02-2006 09:49 PM
Caramelized Onion Focaccia Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 01-11-2005 06:20 AM
Caramelized Onion Jam Tim Recipes 0 22-07-2005 11:26 PM
Five Onion Foccacia And Roasted Vegetable Sandwich 7 Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 01-11-2004 02:30 PM