Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pantry Pest Trap - thanks

After the postings about moths, and never have had any, but seen dear
m-i-l's moths, I decided I'd better take a bit of a precaution as I have
some buckets of pasta, rice and flour on a floor. I bought some today.

My flour is probably not in the best place, http://tinypic.com/67d3fcw.jpg
Underneath the floor is a crawlspace.
I think I'll put one to the right and/or left of the buckets on the floor.
Does that look like the reasonable thing to do?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> After the postings about moths, and never have had any, but seen dear
> m-i-l's moths, I decided I'd better take a bit of a precaution as I have
> some buckets of pasta, rice and flour on a floor. I bought some today.
>
> My flour is probably not in the best place, http://tinypic.com/67d3fcw.jpg
> Underneath the floor is a crawlspace.
> I think I'll put one to the right and/or left of the buckets on the floor.
> Does that look like the reasonable thing to do?
> Dee Dee

You seem to have everything sealed up pretty well, so even if one bucket
became infested (or if there were insect eggs in it when you bought it -
I suspect corn meal has that problem) the problem shouldn't spread.

I have a similarly disgusting problem here. My job was relocated to
another city, so for temporary housing I purchased an older mobile-home
in one of the better parks in the area. The previous owner was a
cat-owner, and not into cleanliness, but I didn't discover that until
the sale was complete. The seller left no forwarding address.
I may have to rip out a lot of carpet, just to be able to taste my food
without the faint, lingering taint of cat-urine odor...
The smell is even in the refrigerator!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"none" > wrote in message
> Dee Dee wrote:
>> After the postings about moths, and never have had any, but seen dear
>> m-i-l's moths, I decided I'd better take a bit of a precaution as I have
>> some buckets of pasta, rice and flour on a floor. I bought some today.
>>
>> My flour is probably not in the best place,
>> http://tinypic.com/67d3fcw.jpg Underneath the floor is a crawlspace.
>> I think I'll put one to the right and/or left of the buckets on the
>> floor. Does that look like the reasonable thing to do?
>> Dee Dee

> You seem to have everything sealed up pretty well, so even if one bucket
> became infested (or if there were insect eggs in it when you bought it - I
> suspect corn meal has that problem) the problem shouldn't spread.
>
> I have a similarly disgusting problem here. My job was relocated to
> another city, so for temporary housing I purchased an older mobile-home in
> one of the better parks in the area. The previous owner was a cat-owner,
> and not into cleanliness, but I didn't discover that until the sale was
> complete. The seller left no forwarding address.
> I may have to rip out a lot of carpet, just to be able to taste my food
> without the faint, lingering taint of cat-urine odor...
> The smell is even in the refrigerator!

ewwwwwwwwwwww that really *is* a problem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "none" > wrote in message
> > Dee Dee wrote:
> >> After the postings about moths, and never have had any, but seen dear
> >> m-i-l's moths, I decided I'd better take a bit of a precaution as I have
> >> some buckets of pasta, rice and flour on a floor. I bought some today.
> >>
> >> My flour is probably not in the best place,
> >> http://tinypic.com/67d3fcw.jpg Underneath the floor is a crawlspace.
> >> I think I'll put one to the right and/or left of the buckets on the
> >> floor. Does that look like the reasonable thing to do?
> >> Dee Dee

> > You seem to have everything sealed up pretty well, so even if one bucket
> > became infested (or if there were insect eggs in it when you bought it - I
> > suspect corn meal has that problem) the problem shouldn't spread.
> >
> > I have a similarly disgusting problem here. My job was relocated to
> > another city, so for temporary housing I purchased an older mobile-home in
> > one of the better parks in the area. The previous owner was a cat-owner,
> > and not into cleanliness, but I didn't discover that until the sale was
> > complete. The seller left no forwarding address.
> > I may have to rip out a lot of carpet, just to be able to taste my food
> > without the faint, lingering taint of cat-urine odor...
> > The smell is even in the refrigerator!

> ewwwwwwwwwwww that really *is* a problem

Anyone that has pets should not have wall to wall carpeting. Works well
for me. I have all linoleum tile and sealed plastic base boards.

Best way to eliminate cat urine is plain white vinegar.
Sometimes they aim their butts backwards off the edge of the litter
boxes. <sigh>

Cleanliness takes care of the issue.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Cleanliness takes care of the issue.

Yesh, those panty pests are awful. heheh

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"none" > wrote in message
> Dee Dee wrote:
>> After the postings about moths, and never have had any, but seen dear
>> m-i-l's moths, I decided I'd better take a bit of a precaution as I have
>> some buckets of pasta, rice and flour on a floor. I bought some today.
>>
>> My flour is probably not in the best place,
>> http://tinypic.com/67d3fcw.jpg Underneath the floor is a crawlspace.
>> I think I'll put one to the right and/or left of the buckets on the
>> floor. Does that look like the reasonable thing to do?
>> Dee Dee

> You seem to have everything sealed up pretty well, so even if one bucket
> became infested (or if there were insect eggs in it when you bought it - I
> suspect corn meal has that problem) the problem shouldn't spread.
>
> I have a similarly disgusting problem here. My job was relocated to
> another city, so for temporary housing I purchased an older mobile-home in
> one of the better parks in the area. The previous owner was a cat-owner,
> and not into cleanliness, but I didn't discover that until the sale was
> complete. The seller left no forwarding address.
> I may have to rip out a lot of carpet, just to be able to taste my food
> without the faint, lingering taint of cat-urine odor...
> The smell is even in the refrigerator!

I can't tell you all the problems we had with our house we bought some years
ago and are still living in now. It was so infested with fleas in the
carpet (we did not see these until we started ripping out the carpets) that
we had to keep buckets of water and duct tape handy to rip them off our
legs. We had to have exterminators in at least 3x before we could get rid
of them.

The cats had urinated along three bedroom walls and we had to rip out the
flooring and subfloring and have it replaced before we could move in.
Luckily we had an RV that we stayed in. It took us from July until October
to get this home in shape. A very nice home, too; we completely missed
it --

You have my pity!

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> The cats had urinated along three bedroom walls and we had to rip out the
> flooring and subfloring and have it replaced before we could move in.
> Luckily we had an RV that we stayed in. It took us from July until October
> to get this home in shape. A very nice home, too; we completely missed
> it --

I just wish I could stop reading this thread's Subject header, when I'm
scanning through the articles list, as Panty Pest Trap...

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> "none" > wrote in message
>> Dee Dee wrote:
>>> After the postings about moths, and never have had any, but seen dear
>>> m-i-l's moths, I decided I'd better take a bit of a precaution as I have
>>> some buckets of pasta, rice and flour on a floor. I bought some today.
>>>
>>> My flour is probably not in the best place,
>>> http://tinypic.com/67d3fcw.jpg Underneath the floor is a crawlspace.
>>> I think I'll put one to the right and/or left of the buckets on the
>>> floor. Does that look like the reasonable thing to do?
>>> Dee Dee

>> You seem to have everything sealed up pretty well, so even if one bucket
>> became infested (or if there were insect eggs in it when you bought it - I
>> suspect corn meal has that problem) the problem shouldn't spread.
>>
>> I have a similarly disgusting problem here. My job was relocated to
>> another city, so for temporary housing I purchased an older mobile-home in
>> one of the better parks in the area. The previous owner was a cat-owner,
>> and not into cleanliness, but I didn't discover that until the sale was
>> complete. The seller left no forwarding address.
>> I may have to rip out a lot of carpet, just to be able to taste my food
>> without the faint, lingering taint of cat-urine odor...
>> The smell is even in the refrigerator!

> I can't tell you all the problems we had with our house we bought some years
> ago and are still living in now. It was so infested with fleas in the
> carpet (we did not see these until we started ripping out the carpets) that
> we had to keep buckets of water and duct tape handy to rip them off our
> legs. We had to have exterminators in at least 3x before we could get rid
> of them.
>
> The cats had urinated along three bedroom walls and we had to rip out the
> flooring and subfloring and have it replaced before we could move in.
> Luckily we had an RV that we stayed in. It took us from July until October
> to get this home in shape. A very nice home, too; we completely missed
> it --
>
> You have my pity!
>
> Dee Dee

I haven't had many opportunities to visit this group, so my belated
thanks for your sympathy and advice. I've ripped out the carpeting and
painted the floor with sealer today, as none of the miracle products on
the market were effective. I'll slap down another coat of sealer, finish
painting the walls, and then call a carpet dealer. The smell may be
fading, or my senses could be so overwhelmed that I can no longer
properly savor the bouquet.
Thanks again, all! I'd make this on-topic by mentioning food, but oddly
enough, I've been living on grocery-store deli stuff for several days.
Albertson's "Ginger chicken and broccoli salad" is pretty good with a
tomato from the garden chopped up in it...