Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default custard/flour advice

I've gotten pretty good at making flourless custard/puddings like
creme brulee and flan, but now I'm branching off into eclairs and
dacquoises and the recipies I have *do * call for flour and/or
cornstarch.

I heat the milk or half-and-half fine, then in the mixer put together
the eggs, flour et al - and that's fine.

However, when I add everything together and return it to the stove,
the custard gets lumpy and even starts to stick to the sides and
bottom before it returns to a boil.

It tastes allright and hasn't curdled or anything, but I know I'm not
doing it right. Would a double boiler help? Is the heat too high? Too
low? Should I be whisking while it heats rather using a wooden spoon
to stir and keep the stuff off the bottom a la creme brulee? Is there
something else obvious that I'm overlooking that would make the
difference here?

any tips would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You need to temper the eggs- heat your liquid and then add a little
bit( like a tablespoon) at a time to the eggs, whisking all the time,
until you've added about half or two thirds of the liquid. Then add
that egg/liquid mixture back to your pan, and heat until desired temp
is reached.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:

> I've gotten pretty good at making flourless custard/puddings like
> creme brulee and flan, but now I'm branching off into eclairs and
> dacquoises and the recipies I have *do * call for flour and/or
> cornstarch.
>
> I heat the milk or half-and-half fine, then in the mixer put together
> the eggs, flour et al - and that's fine.
>
> However, when I add everything together and return it to the stove,
> the custard gets lumpy and even starts to stick to the sides and
> bottom before it returns to a boil.
>
> It tastes allright and hasn't curdled or anything, but I know I'm not
> doing it right. Would a double boiler help? Is the heat too high? Too
> low? Should I be whisking while it heats rather using a wooden spoon
> to stir and keep the stuff off the bottom a la creme brulee? Is there
> something else obvious that I'm overlooking that would make the
> difference here?
>
> any tips would be appreciated.

A custard with flour in it is pudding, and they do need to be cooking on a
medium to medium high burner and stirred constantly while cooking,
otherwise they get lumpy and stick to the pot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> You need to temper the eggs- heat your liquid and then add a little
> bit( like a tablespoon) at a time to the eggs, whisking all the time,
> until you've added about half or two thirds of the liquid. Then add
> that egg/liquid mixture back to your pan, and heat until desired temp
> is reached.

I am not sure of the importance of tempering the eggs and adding them to
hot liquid. I use a recipe for butterscotch pudding where dry ingredients
are whisked together, then the milk is whisked in and then beaten eggs.
Everything is heated up together and it is the best butterscotch pudding I
have ever made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 1:58 pm, Harlett O'Dowd >
wrote:
> I've gotten pretty good at making flourless custard/puddings like
> creme brulee and flan, but now I'm branching off into eclairs and
> dacquoises and the recipies I have *do * call for flour and/or
> cornstarch.
>
> I heat the milk or half-and-half fine, then in the mixer put together
> the eggs, flour et al - and that's fine.
>
> However, when I add everything together and return it to the stove,
> the custard gets lumpy and even starts to stick to the sides and
> bottom before it returns to a boil.
>
> It tastes allright and hasn't curdled or anything, but I know I'm not
> doing it right. Would a double boiler help? Is the heat too high? Too
> low? Should I be whisking while it heats rather using a wooden spoon
> to stir and keep the stuff off the bottom a la creme brulee? Is there
> something else obvious that I'm overlooking that would make the
> difference here?
>
> any tips would be appreciated.

For cooked custard-type fillings, I've always mixed the dry
ingredients in the cold saucepan I'm using; then add the milk all at
once and whisk briskly until it is all lump-free, and then heat until
the first boil bubble shows on the surface (medium to medium-high
heat). When that happens, I remove the pan from the heat, temper the
beaten eggs (like Dave describes), and then add them into the milk/
flour mix, whisking rapidly until all is mixed together - then I put
the saucepan back on the heat, and stir constantly until it returns to
a boil, and then let it gently boil/bubble for about 1-2 minutes
longer.

Pour into a bowl, stir in any vanilla or other flavoring called for,
stirring to mix it in. Cover the entire surface with plastic wrap to
prevent a skin forming. Chill.

This method should work for the type of filling you are making. (I'm
assuming it's the filling you're asking about.)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I use a recipe for butterscotch pudding where dry ingredients
> are whisked together, then the milk is whisked in and then beaten eggs.
> Everything is heated up together and it is the best butterscotch pudding I
> have ever made.

So where's the recipe???

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:58:58 -0700, Harlett O'Dowd
> wrote:

>I've gotten pretty good at making flourless custard/puddings like
>creme brulee and flan, but now I'm branching off into eclairs and
>dacquoises and the recipies I have *do * call for flour and/or
>cornstarch.
>
>I heat the milk or half-and-half fine, then in the mixer put together
>the eggs, flour et al - and that's fine.
>
>However, when I add everything together and return it to the stove,
>the custard gets lumpy and even starts to stick to the sides and
>bottom before it returns to a boil.
>
>It tastes allright and hasn't curdled or anything, but I know I'm not
>doing it right. Would a double boiler help? Is the heat too high? Too
>low? Should I be whisking while it heats rather using a wooden spoon
>to stir and keep the stuff off the bottom a la creme brulee? Is there
>something else obvious that I'm overlooking that would make the
>difference here?

The way I was taught to make custard was to mix the cornstarch and
sugar together in a jug and add about a quarter of the milk for the
recipe to it, then make sure it's absolutely lump-free (the sugar
grains help break up the cornstarch lumps...)
Heat up the rest of the milk/cream on the stove and when it comes to
the boil turn the stove down to low and gradually pour in the
thickener, stirring all the while. Then heat it as necessary to
thicken it, but don't stop stirring for a minute until it's done!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>

> > I use a recipe for butterscotch pudding where dry ingredients
> > are whisked together, then the milk is whisked in and then beaten eggs.
> > Everything is heated up together and it is the best butterscotch pudding I
> > have ever made.

> So where's the recipe???

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeC...6&recipeType=1

2/3 cup (150 mL) dark brown sugar
3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
Pinch salt
2 cups (500 mL) milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
½ cup (125 mL) whipping cream (optional)

1. In a medium saucepan, whisk brown sugar with cornstarch and salt until
evenly mixed. Whisk in ½ cup (125 mL) milk until smooth. In a large
measuring cup, whisk remaining milk with egg until well blended. Whisk into
milk mixture in pan.

2. Set pan over medium heat and stir continuously until mixture boils.
Reduce heat to low, continue to stir and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Stir in vanilla, then butter. Strain if necessary to remove any lumps.

3. Transfer to individual dessert dishes or to a serving bowl. Refrigerate,
until firm, 2 to 3 hours.

4. Whip cream until soft peaks form. Serve in dollops on pudding.