Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Refreezing meat

I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
> mood for ham.
>
> Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
> unused slices?

Not unsafe but the texture will degrade. Separate the slices into "sandwich
size" and then freeze them. That way you don't defrost more than you're
going to need.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 01:22:08 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:08:15 -0400, Terry wrote:
>
>> I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
>> mood for ham.
>>
>> Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
>> unused slices?

>No. But why not just freeze them in plastic wrap in individual
>portions, then put all the individual portions inside a ziplock?
>That way you only have to thaw one portion at a time.
>
>It's not rocket science, but apparently something are for some
>people.
>
>-sw

You sound like a sad, angry, little man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> You sound like a sad, angry, little man.

If you respond to those who have been killfiled, it defeats the purpose of
the killfile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" > wrote in message
. net...
>> You sound like a sad, angry, little man.

> If you respond to those who have been killfiled, it defeats the purpose of
> the killfile.

What? You expect everyone to not respond to those in your killfile?

So, how does it feel to have the earth revolving around you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" > wrote in message
>I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
> mood for ham.
>
> Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
> unused slices?

i would say no, b/c the slices you plan to refreeze will be slightly thawed
at least. the answer the nasty man gave makes sense (up unto the point he
becomes nasty)

chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Terry wrote:
> > I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
> > mood for ham.
> >
> > Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
> > unused slices?

> Not unsafe but the texture will degrade. Separate the slices into "sandwich
> size" and then freeze them. That way you don't defrost more than you're
> going to need.
>
> Jill

Seconded.

Wax paper is good for separating meat slices.
Safety is not an issue re-freezing the meat, but the texture will
seriously suffer after defrosting more than a couple of times. It gets
dry and kinda spongy.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Abe > wrote:

> >On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 01:22:08 GMT, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:

> >>No. But why not just freeze them in plastic wrap in individual
> >>portions, then put all the individual portions inside a ziplock?
> >>That way you only have to thaw one portion at a time.
> >>
> >>It's not rocket science, but apparently something are for some
> >>people.
> >>
> >>-sw

> >You sound like a sad, angry, little man.

> His suggestion is a very good one. Wish he could have said it nicer
> though.

Rudeness is an art form it seems. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:07:47 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Terry wrote:
>> > I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
>> > mood for ham.
>> >
>> > Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
>> > unused slices?

>> Not unsafe but the texture will degrade. Separate the slices into "sandwich
>> size" and then freeze them. That way you don't defrost more than you're
>> going to need.
>>
>> Jill

>Seconded.
>
>Wax paper is good for separating meat slices.
>Safety is not an issue re-freezing the meat, but the texture will
>seriously suffer after defrosting more than a couple of times. It gets
>dry and kinda spongy.

I will give the spacers a try.
Thanks everyone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:07:47 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,

> >> Not unsafe but the texture will degrade. Separate the slices into
> >> "sandwich
> >> size" and then freeze them. That way you don't defrost more than you're
> >> going to need.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >Seconded.
> >
> >Wax paper is good for separating meat slices.
> >Safety is not an issue re-freezing the meat, but the texture will
> >seriously suffer after defrosting more than a couple of times. It gets
> >dry and kinda spongy.

> I will give the spacers a try.
> Thanks everyone

Cheers. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
> mood for ham.
>
> Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
> unused slices?

Maybe not unsafe, but expect loss of quality. Deli slices are "supposed
to be" eaten within a day or so. It's no bargain if you wind up
throwing it out.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:08:26 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Abe > wrote:

>> >You sound like a sad, angry, little man.

>> His suggestion is a very good one. Wish he could have said it nicer
>> though.

>Rudeness is an art form it seems. ;-)

but it's so seldom well-executed.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:08:26 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:

> >> His suggestion is a very good one. Wish he could have said it nicer
> >> though.

> >Rudeness is an art form it seems. ;-)

> but it's so seldom well-executed.
>
> your pal,
> blake

It takes having a decent vocabulary.

Or a Thesaurus.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:08:26 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> > >Rudeness is an art form it seems. ;-)

> > but it's so seldom well-executed.

> It takes having a decent vocabulary.
>
> Or a Thesaurus.

A thesaurus is like a gun, you gotta know how to use it.

These people who say you can refreeze meat are
like the people who go swimming after eating.
They will be the first to die.
Probably after going blind from reading
in dim light. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> > > but it's so seldom well-executed.

> > It takes having a decent vocabulary.
> >
> > Or a Thesaurus.

> A thesaurus is like a gun, you gotta know how to use it.

I actually thought about that after posting the reference. <G>

> These people who say you can refreeze meat are
> like the people who go swimming after eating.
> They will be the first to die.
> Probably after going blind from reading
> in dim light. :-)

Heh!

The thing is, minimally thawed, it's safe but after doing it a couple of
times, it's going to taste like cardboard...

I have frozen luncheon meats but do it in portions so it only gets
thawed ONCE before being consumed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
> mood for ham.

Deli ham is that cheap pressed mystery meat ham (about $2-$3/lb),
hardly worth saving, not even worth the wrappings, especially that's
it's pretty crappy even fresh from the deli, once frozen it's like
eating shit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:08:28 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Omelet wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> blake murphy > wrote:

>> > but it's so seldom well-executed.

>> It takes having a decent vocabulary.
>>
>> Or a Thesaurus.

>A thesaurus is like a gun, you gotta know how to use it.
>
>These people who say you can refreeze meat are
>like the people who go swimming after eating.
>They will be the first to die.
>Probably after going blind from reading
>in dim light. :-)

i'm not taking any chances. i'm going blind from masturbation first.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>These people who say you can refreeze meat are
>>like the people who go swimming after eating.
>>They will be the first to die.
>>Probably after going blind from reading
>>in dim light. :-)

> i'm not taking any chances. i'm going blind from masturbation first.

There are worse ways to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> i'm not taking any chances. i'm going blind from masturbation first.
>
> your pal,
> blake

And growing fur on your hands.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 13:29:00 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>These people who say you can refreeze meat are
>>>like the people who go swimming after eating.
>>>They will be the first to die.
>>>Probably after going blind from reading
>>>in dim light. :-)

>> i'm not taking any chances. i'm going blind from masturbation first.
>>

>There are worse ways to go.

so far i'm just nearsighted.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:19:25 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> i'm not taking any chances. i'm going blind from masturbation first.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>And growing fur on your hands.

that way, you can get rid of the loofahs in the shower.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 4, 2:00?pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 13:29:00 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

> >"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> i'm not taking any chances. i'm going blind from masturbation first.

> >There are worse ways to go.

> so far i'm just nearsighted.

That's just an alibi for your widdle tiny pecker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>.>> so far i'm just nearsighted.
>
> That's just an alibi for your widdle tiny pecker.

Have you been peeking? You seem obsessed with men's peckers

Has Greg Moron visited you lately?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:19:25 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> blake murphy > wrote:
>>
>>> i'm not taking any chances. i'm going blind from masturbation first.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>>And growing fur on your hands.

> that way, you can get rid of the loofahs in the shower.

I understand it also adds a little something to the self stimulation.

Refreezing meat question Michael O'Connor General Cooking 13 04-08-2007 10:03 PM
Refreezing BBQ Terry General Cooking 3 17-06-2006 11:17 PM
refreezing meat Chris Preserving 3 21-05-2006 02:51 AM
Refreezing food [email protected] General Cooking 3 09-01-2006 06:01 AM
Question: Refreezing Jay General Cooking 0 09-01-2005 03:31 AM