Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Default Spaghetti Thing - canned products alert

My husband's SIL makes this for potluck suppers. I fixed it yesterday
for our dinner. I love it. If you want to work harder, use scratch
ingredients and don't bitch about it. It's fast.

~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, undrained
16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained, reserve liquid)

Put the tomatoes (with liquid) into a pan and heat to almost boiling.
Cook and drain the pasta * *do not rinse it.*

Put half the pasta into a big bowl, pour half the tomatoes over and add
half the artichokes; repeat with remaining ingredients. Use two forks
to mix the ingredients. If it seems too dry, add some of the artichoke
liquid. (Personally, I'd be inclined to dump some good olive oil on it
instead of the salt water that the 'chokes are packed in).

SIL likes to add shredded mozz on top; I added some dried out
fresh-grated parm. You don't have to do either.

I also added some Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle to my tomatoes when I heated
them.

I'm thinking that if you have to have meat you could probably include
some pepperoni or prosciutto. I don't need the meat.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
> [..] I fixed it yesterday for our dinner. [..]

> ~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
> 15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian
> seasoning, undrained
> 16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained,
> reserve liquid)
>
> Put the tomatoes (with liquid) into a pan and heat
> to almost boiling. Cook and drain the pasta **do
> not rinse it.*
>
> Put half the pasta into a big bowl, pour half the
> tomatoes over and add half the artichokes; repeat
> with remaining ingredients. Use two forks to mix
> the ingredients. If it seems too dry, add some of
> the artichoke liquid. (Personally, I'd be inclined
> to dump some good olive oil on it instead of the
> salt water that the 'chokes are packed in).
>
> SIL likes to add shredded mozz on top; I added
> some dried out fresh-grated parm. You don't
> have to do either.
>
> I also added some Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle to
> my tomatoes when I heated them.
>
> I'm thinking that if you have to have meat you could
> probably include some pepperoni or prosciutto. I
> don't need the meat.

Does she break the pasta up before cooking or leave the strands
whole? I like the idea of adding pepperoni last and letting the
dish heat it instead of cooking it all together. Prosciutto, I'm
thinking, would be overwhelmed in this dish.

The "Gonna give it a try with penne" Ranger

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message

(snip)

> > I'm thinking that if you have to have meat you could
> > probably include some pepperoni or prosciutto. I
> > don't need the meat.

> Does she break the pasta up before cooking or leave the strands
> whole? I like the idea of adding pepperoni last and letting the
> dish heat it instead of cooking it all together. Prosciutto, I'm
> thinking, would be overwhelmed in this dish.
>
> The "Gonna give it a try with penne" Ranger

I cook the angel hair without breaking i up. I suppose you could. . . .
For that matter, I imagine you could use most any pasta. I wonder if
the angel hair is used because it cooks in about three minutes -- a
major part of the Fast factor.

I think I know what you mean about the prosciutto, though -- I bought a
panini roll at Cub and the prosciutto has got to be there for novelty.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My husband's SIL makes this for potluck suppers. I fixed it yesterday
> for our dinner. I love it. If you want to work harder, use scratch
> ingredients and don't bitch about it. It's fast.
>
> ~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
> 15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, undrained
> 16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained, reserve liquid)

<snip>

> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

WOW another keeper for a quick & easy file.

Thanks

Dimitri

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
>> [..] I fixed it yesterday for our dinner. [..]

>> ~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
>> 15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian
>> seasoning, undrained
>> 16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained,
>> reserve liquid)
>>
>> Put the tomatoes (with liquid) into a pan and heat
>> to almost boiling. Cook and drain the pasta **do
>> not rinse it.*
>>
>> Put half the pasta into a big bowl, pour half the
>> tomatoes over and add half the artichokes; repeat
>> with remaining ingredients. Use two forks to mix
>> the ingredients. If it seems too dry, add some of
>> the artichoke liquid. (Personally, I'd be inclined
>> to dump some good olive oil on it instead of the
>> salt water that the 'chokes are packed in).
>>
>> SIL likes to add shredded mozz on top; I added
>> some dried out fresh-grated parm. You don't
>> have to do either.
>>
>> I also added some Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle to
>> my tomatoes when I heated them.
>>
>> I'm thinking that if you have to have meat you could
>> probably include some pepperoni or prosciutto. I
>> don't need the meat.

> Does she break the pasta up before cooking or leave the strands
> whole? I like the idea of adding pepperoni last and letting the
> dish heat it instead of cooking it all together. Prosciutto, I'm
> thinking, would be overwhelmed in this dish.
>
> The "Gonna give it a try with penne" Ranger

I would think spiral or bowtie pasta might work with this, too, but I do
like your penna idea. Thanks for sharing this easy recipe, Barb! :~)

kili

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> My husband's SIL makes this for potluck suppers. I fixed it yesterday
> for our dinner. I love it. If you want to work harder, use scratch
> ingredients and don't bitch about it. It's fast.
>
> ~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
> 15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, undrained
> 16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained, reserve liquid)
>
> Put the tomatoes (with liquid) into a pan and heat to almost boiling.
> Cook and drain the pasta � *do not rinse it.*
>
> Put half the pasta into a big bowl, pour half the tomatoes over and add
> half the artichokes; repeat with remaining ingredients. Use two forks
> to mix the ingredients. If it seems too dry, add some of the artichoke
> liquid. (Personally, I'd be inclined to dump some good olive oil on it
> instead of the salt water that the 'chokes are packed in).
>
> SIL likes to add shredded mozz on top; I added some dried out
> fresh-grated parm. You don't have to do either.
>
> I also added some Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle to my tomatoes when I heated
> them.
>
> I'm thinking that if you have to have meat you could probably include
> some pepperoni or prosciutto. I don't need the meat.

Sounds good! You scared me: from the subject line, I thought you
advocated canned spaghetti.

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:40:56 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>My husband's SIL makes this for potluck suppers. I fixed it yesterday
>for our dinner. I love it. If you want to work harder, use scratch
>ingredients and don't bitch about it. It's fast.
>
>~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
>15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, undrained
>16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained, reserve liquid)
>
>Put the tomatoes (with liquid) into a pan and heat to almost boiling.
>Cook and drain the pasta * *do not rinse it.*
>
>Put half the pasta into a big bowl, pour half the tomatoes over and add
>half the artichokes; repeat with remaining ingredients. Use two forks
>to mix the ingredients. If it seems too dry, add some of the artichoke
>liquid. (Personally, I'd be inclined to dump some good olive oil on it
>instead of the salt water that the 'chokes are packed in).
>
>SIL likes to add shredded mozz on top; I added some dried out
>fresh-grated parm. You don't have to do either.
>
>I also added some Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle to my tomatoes when I heated
>them.
>
>I'm thinking that if you have to have meat you could probably include
>some pepperoni or prosciutto. I don't need the meat.

This is the kind of thing we do regularly. I use unseasoned petites
and add my own Italian seasoning, and I add a small can of tomato
paste and let that all cook a while to reduce, to give me a rich
sauce. We don't premix, but let everyone get their own pasta and
sauce. We always use all the sauce, and lunch the next day is leftover
pasta with a little butter and parmesan. The exact same sauce, reduced
until a little thicker, I spread on a Boboli (we always have one in
the freezer) with mozzarella, chopped artichoke hearts, small can of
drained sliced black olives, fresh bell pepper if I have it, whatever
else I feel like, into a 425 degree oven till the cheese melts and
wallah, 20-minute pizza.
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jerry Avins > wrote:
> Sounds good! You scared me: from the subject line, I thought you
> advocated canned spaghetti.
>
> Jerry

Not since my kids were four years old, Jerry. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> WOW another keeper for a quick & easy file.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dimitri

Yah, sure. I think it would be REALLY EASY to make this fancier and
more complicated ‹ and then the beauty of it would be lost. Did I
mention that I like it at room temp? And have you ever made//had the
cold spaghetti salad with a jar of Durkee salad seasoning (something
like that, anyway)? That goes back to the '70s.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Bye, Kevin. Knock 'em daid in Boston.
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> I would think spiral or bowtie pasta might work with this, too, but I do
> like your penna idea. Thanks for sharing this easy recipe, Barb! :~)
>
> kili

Try it with the angel hair -- quicker.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 10:40 am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> My husband's SIL makes this for potluck suppers. I fixed it yesterday
> for our dinner. I love it. If you want to work harder, use scratch
> ingredients and don't bitch about it. It's fast.
>
> ~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
> 15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, undrained
> 16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained, reserve liquid)
>
> Put the tomatoes (with liquid) into a pan and heat to almost boiling.
> Cook and drain the pasta * *do not rinse it.*
>
> Put half the pasta into a big bowl, pour half the tomatoes over and add
> half the artichokes; repeat with remaining ingredients. Use two forks
> to mix the ingredients. If it seems too dry, add some of the artichoke
> liquid. (Personally, I'd be inclined to dump some good olive oil on it
> instead of the salt water that the 'chokes are packed in).
>
> SIL likes to add shredded mozz on top; I added some dried out
> fresh-grated parm. You don't have to do either.
>
> I also added some Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle to my tomatoes when I heated
> them.
>
> I'm thinking that if you have to have meat you could probably include
> some pepperoni or prosciutto. I don't need the meat.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://www.jamlady.eboard.com- story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

No tater tots?? I *am* disappointed...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
kuvasz guy > wrote:

> On Jul 30, 10:40 am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > My husband's SIL makes this for potluck suppers. I fixed it yesterday
> > for our dinner. I love it. If you want to work harder, use scratch
> > ingredients and don't bitch about it. It's fast.
> >
> > ~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
> > 15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, undrained
> > 16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained, reserve liquid)

(snip)

> No tater tots?? I *am* disappointed...
>
> ..fred

No Tater Tots. There's enough starch in the pasta. You'll just have to
live with the disappointment.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> My husband's SIL makes this for potluck suppers. I fixed it yesterday
> for our dinner. I love it. If you want to work harder, use scratch
> ingredients and don't bitch about it. It's fast.
>
> ~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
> 15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, undrained
> 16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained, reserve liquid)
>
> Put the tomatoes (with liquid) into a pan and heat to almost boiling.
> Cook and drain the pasta * *do not rinse it.*
>
> Put half the pasta into a big bowl, pour half the tomatoes over and add
> half the artichokes; repeat with remaining ingredients. Use two forks
> to mix the ingredients. If it seems too dry, add some of the artichoke
> liquid. (Personally, I'd be inclined to dump some good olive oil on it
> instead of the salt water that the 'chokes are packed in).
>
> SIL likes to add shredded mozz on top; I added some dried out
> fresh-grated parm. You don't have to do either.
>
> I also added some Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle to my tomatoes when I heated
> them.
>
> I'm thinking that if you have to have meat you could probably include
> some pepperoni or prosciutto. I don't need the meat.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Sounds similar to something I make, except I use the San Marzano tomatoes from Mona
Lisa's, and add some garlic and a bit of olive oil. Nice, light, simple. Good stuff.

When tomatoes are at their very best, I like to grab the heirloom plum tomatoes from
the Vegetable Stand and dice them up with some chopped garlic and a splash of chicken
stock and toss that with angel hair and a sploosh of olive oil. Top with some
parmesan and asiago, and you're good to go. Sometimes I add shredded chicken,
sometimes arugula.

kimberly
--
http://one.revver.com/watch/324733/flv/affiliate/99865
"I think that's my bathing suit. Is that one of my bathing suits? That is totally my

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> When tomatoes are at their very best, I like to grab the heirloom plum
> tomatoes from the Vegetable Stand and dice them up with some chopped
> garlic and a splash of chicken stock and toss that with angel hair and a
> sploosh of olive oil. Top with some parmesan and asiago, and you're good
> to go. Sometimes I add shredded chicken, sometimes arugula.

Do you peel the tomatoes? Some purists look down their respective noses
at me for not straining the seeds out. I'm not that ambitious and my
dentures don't require it.

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > dropped this turd
> : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> My husband's SIL makes this for potluck suppers. I fixed it yesterday
>> for our dinner. I love it. If you want to work harder, use scratch
>> ingredients and don't bitch about it. It's fast.
>>
>> ~1/2 - 3/4# angel hair pasta
>> 15-16 oz can petite diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, undrained
>> 16 oz can quartered artichoke hearts (drained, reserve liquid)

> I do this quite often for a quick meal. I usually keep several of those
> cans of seasoned tomatoes in the pantry for just that reason. If you're of
> a mind to, you can chill it for a salad too. I don't need the meat in it
> but sometimes when I over buy bulk Italian sausage, I will cook it all and
> reserve what I need for the meal I'm making then freeze the rest. If I'm
> making the quick pasta as you described, I'll thaw and heat the frozen
> sausage and toss it in too. Good stuff.

A quickie dish that I once made for my sister in her kitchen it has
become my nephew's favorite) consists of a can of kidney beans, a can of
diced tomatoes, two cans of water, and a pound of elbows cooked together
until the elbows are done. (The cans are 15 oz., or a pound if you're
lucky.) Add water during cooking if needed. Stir in up to a pound of
grated cheddar if you like. I typically use half a pound. Comfort food!

No credit to me here. The recipe came off the back of a Ronzoni box.

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
> Nexis wrote:

>> When tomatoes are at their very best, I like to grab the heirloom plum tomatoes
>> from the Vegetable Stand and dice them up with some chopped garlic and a splash of
>> chicken stock and toss that with angel hair and a sploosh of olive oil. Top with
>> some parmesan and asiago, and you're good to go. Sometimes I add shredded chicken,
>> sometimes arugula.

> Do you peel the tomatoes? Some purists look down their respective noses at me for
> not straining the seeds out. I'm not that ambitious and my dentures don't require
> it.
>
> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

Jerry,

You know, I just chop them up and use them. I never peel them, since they're thin
skinned already and being plum tomatoes, there's not a terrible lot of seeds. They
have tons of flavor and are great with the angel hair. If they were cheaper, I'd try
canning a bunch for winter. They're gorgeous too! Red with orange/yellow stripes and
long and tapered.

kimberly

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> You know, I just chop them up and use them. I never peel them, since
> they're thin skinned already and being plum tomatoes, there's not a
> terrible lot of seeds. They have tons of flavor and are great with the
> angel hair. If they were cheaper, I'd try canning a bunch for winter.
> They're gorgeous too! Red with orange/yellow stripes and long and tapered.

I blanch and peel the dollar half-bushel in the Fall when I can a lot of
sauce. Other times, I do as you do.

Jerry

Keeping Canned Salsa and Spaghetti Sauce Bunny McElwee[_3_] Preserving 10 24-08-2012 12:09 PM
offering fresh, IQF, canned fruits & vegetables and other agricultural products henryshing General Cooking 0 03-08-2007 03:21 AM
List of more than 90 recalled canned meat products BOB[_9_] General Cooking 10 26-07-2007 05:27 AM
Alert! AIM Products daman Vegan 0 14-03-2005 10:57 AM
FDA Issues Alert on Foodborne Illness Associated with Certain Basil and Mesculin/Spring Mix Salad Products Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-05-2004 01:31 AM