Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Danny Kaye Changed Family Life By Cooking

Sorry, but I'm easily amused. I was looking through an Architectural
Digest from November of 2001 and found a rather fun article written by
Danny's daughter Dena. She said their life changed when he started
cooking. He started by cooking Christmas breakfast and ended up
building a whole kitchen devoted to Chinese fair. His parties went
from black tie to no tie. They abandoned the old kitchen and dining
room and ate in the new chinese kitchen. Danny's wife (Silvia)
called the "real" dining room "a vestigial remnant circa B.C., Before
Chinese." It was a fun read.

Here's a picture of the kitchen. 3 WOKS!!!! I would love to play in
it.

http://i15.tinypic.com/4veyeq0.jpg

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> Sorry, but I'm easily amused. I was looking through an Architectural
> Digest from November of 2001 and found a rather fun article written by
> Danny's daughter Dena. She said their life changed when he started
> cooking. He started by cooking Christmas breakfast and ended up
> building a whole kitchen devoted to Chinese fair. His parties went
> from black tie to no tie. They abandoned the old kitchen and dining
> room and ate in the new chinese kitchen. Danny's wife (Silvia)
> called the "real" dining room "a vestigial remnant circa B.C., Before
> Chinese." It was a fun read.
>
> Here's a picture of the kitchen. 3 WOKS!!!! I would love to play in
> it.
>
> http://i15.tinypic.com/4veyeq0.jpg

And just a kid from Brooklyn.

BTW, it's "Chinese fare," not "fair."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote

> Sorry, but I'm easily amused. I was looking through an Architectural
> Digest from November of 2001 and found a rather fun article written by
> Danny's daughter Dena.

Oh, I hope your dental work went smoothly!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Lou Decruss" > wrote
>
>> Sorry, but I'm easily amused. I was looking through an Architectural
>> Digest from November of 2001 and found a rather fun article written by
>> Danny's daughter Dena.

> Oh, I hope your dental work went smoothly!
>
> nancy

Good one, Nancy! ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:49:16 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
magnanimously proffered:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote
>
>> Sorry, but I'm easily amused. I was looking through an Architectural
>> Digest from November of 2001 and found a rather fun article written by
>> Danny's daughter Dena.

>Oh, I hope your dental work went smoothly!
>
>nancy

LOL. My dentist's magazine selection is mostly pre-Paris Hilton
women's magazines.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:49:16 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> magnanimously proffered:

>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote
>>
>>> Sorry, but I'm easily amused. I was looking through an Architectural
>>> Digest from November of 2001 and found a rather fun article written by
>>> Danny's daughter Dena.

>>Oh, I hope your dental work went smoothly!

> LOL. My dentist's magazine selection is mostly pre-Paris Hilton
> women's magazines.

(laugh) Luckily my dentist keeps a good selection of magazines,
and he also doesn't make you wait more than 5 minutes, maybe 10.
If he's running late his receptionist will call you.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 7:45 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> (laugh) Luckily my dentist keeps a good selection of magazines,
> and he also doesn't make you wait more than 5 minutes, maybe 10.
> If he's running late his receptionist will call you.

Ah, she knows the drill! <g>

Leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message

>>nancy
>>

> LOL. My dentist's magazine selection is mostly pre-Paris Hilton
> women's magazines.

I've often wondered if magazine companies supply dental and doctors' offices
with these for free, the reason they always have them.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 8:59 am, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> "bob" > wrote in message

> >>nancy

> > LOL. My dentist's magazine selection is mostly pre-Paris Hilton
> > women's magazines.

> I've often wondered if magazine companies supply dental and doctors' offices
> with these for free, the reason they always have them.
> Dee Dee

Not free, but there are special professional rates for offices -
that's how I get my Time. It's about half the regular subscription
price - but I have to have it delivered at the office.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote
>
>> Sorry, but I'm easily amused. I was looking through an Architectural
>> Digest from November of 2001 and found a rather fun article written by
>> Danny's daughter Dena.

>Oh, I hope your dental work went smoothly!

LOL. We moved 2 1/2 weeks ago and we're still unpacking boxes. It's
worse than the dentist. <sigh> I found some old magazines and
thumbed through them before I tossed them out.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:38:16 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> Sorry, but I'm easily amused. I was looking through an Architectural
>> Digest from November of 2001 and found a rather fun article written by
>> Danny's daughter Dena. She said their life changed when he started
>> cooking. He started by cooking Christmas breakfast and ended up
>> building a whole kitchen devoted to Chinese fair. His parties went
>> from black tie to no tie. They abandoned the old kitchen and dining
>> room and ate in the new chinese kitchen. Danny's wife (Silvia)
>> called the "real" dining room "a vestigial remnant circa B.C., Before
>> Chinese." It was a fun read.
>>
>> Here's a picture of the kitchen. 3 WOKS!!!! I would love to play in
>> it.
>>
>> http://i15.tinypic.com/4veyeq0.jpg

>And just a kid from Brooklyn.
>
>BTW, it's "Chinese fare," not "fair."

I'm lucky I can spell my own name.

Luo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:13:20 -0700, Nancy2 >
wrote:

>> I've often wondered if magazine companies supply dental and doctors' offices
>> with these for free, the reason they always have them.
>> Dee Dee

>Not free, but there are special professional rates for offices -
>that's how I get my Time. It's about half the regular subscription
>price - but I have to have it delivered at the office.

I have a friend who has a hair salon. She doesn't even have to order
them. They just send them. free.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:49:16 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote
>>
>>> Sorry, but I'm easily amused. I was looking through an Architectural
>>> Digest from November of 2001 and found a rather fun article written by
>>> Danny's daughter Dena.

>>Oh, I hope your dental work went smoothly!

> LOL. We moved 2 1/2 weeks ago and we're still unpacking boxes. It's
> worse than the dentist. <sigh> I found some old magazines and
> thumbed through them before I tossed them out.

Heh, aren't you glad you took the effort to move them? I have toyed
with the idea of moving and looked around thinking, what would I
bring? because I have a lot of stuff I would not bother taking.

I hope you are enjoying your new place.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote in message
> "Lou Decruss" > wrote
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:49:16 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:
>>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote

>>>Oh, I hope your dental work went smoothly!
>>>

>> LOL. We moved 2 1/2 weeks ago and we're still
>> unpacking boxes. It's worse than the dentist. <sigh>
>> I found some old magazines and thumbed through
>> them before I tossed them out.
>>

> Heh, aren't you glad you took the effort to move them?
> I have toyed with the idea of moving and looked around
> thinking, what would I bring? because I have a lot of stuff
> I would not bother taking.

Remodel. It's loads cheaper and you'll enjoy similar benefits
(packing up and making decisions on what goes and what moves with
you) without the heartburn of dealing with a moving company. You
can put the wad o' cash saved in remodeling towards the Survival
Party.

The Ranger
---
"This is the LAST time I am going to pack and unpack boxes! I'm
never doing this again..."
--SWMBO, 02/18/00, upon putting the last
dish from the last box in our new cupboards

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote

> Nancy Young > wrote

>> Heh, aren't you glad you took the effort to move them?
>> I have toyed with the idea of moving and looked around
>> thinking, what would I bring? because I have a lot of stuff
>> I would not bother taking.

> Remodel. It's loads cheaper and you'll enjoy similar benefits (packing up
> and making decisions on what goes and what moves with you) without the
> heartburn of dealing with a moving company. You can put the wad o' cash
> saved in remodeling towards the Survival Party.

I hear ya, and it's really astonishing to me when I drive around my
neighborhood to see how many people have massively remodelled if not
totally replaced their house. The land is definitely where the value is in
my property. However, if I remodel, I will have to pay for that, whereas
if I sell, I can just use that money to get what I want.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:26:08 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote
>
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:49:16 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote

>>>Oh, I hope your dental work went smoothly!

>> LOL. We moved 2 1/2 weeks ago and we're still unpacking boxes. It's
>> worse than the dentist. <sigh> I found some old magazines and
>> thumbed through them before I tossed them out.

>Heh, aren't you glad you took the effort to move them?

The only fighting Louise and I have done in years was about what
"stuff" should be thrown out or given away. We've been slowly moving
little stuff for months not really paying attention to how much was
really here. We went out of town for a weekend and came back to an
offer with 15 days until closing. The inspector found a bunch of
nit-wit things that needed to be fixed so we didn't have much time for
the final sort.

>I have toyed with the idea of moving and looked around thinking, what would I
>bring? because I have a lot of stuff I would not bother taking.

Emotions run deep when it comes to saving "stuff." You remember how
much you wanted it and how much it cost. Even though you forgot you
even had "it" you don't want to part with it. We filled a ten yard
dumpster twice and made 5-6 trips to a non-profit resale store. Two
of our kids are striking out on their own so many of the duplicates
are being relocated. Most of it is kitchen stuff. It's funny that
when they are on their own cooking for themselves makes more sense.
One got a whole set of nice SS cookware. The happy glimmer in her
eyes was amusing.

>I hope you are enjoying your new place.

More than you can imagine. It's really not a new place. When we met
we both had homes and bought another that was for "us" as we had
children from previous marriages and didn't want to force the
teenagers to live together. My kid stayed in my place and I spent
time with Louise. Her kids moved on so we sold her house and both
stay at mine now. The place we bought together is a 1300 sq.ft.
"cottage" out in the country. We're both to young to completely
retire so we need to keep a city place to make a living, but we spend
as much time out there as possible. It's our retreat and when we go
there I cook for days.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 07:35:31 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>Remodel. It's loads cheaper and you'll enjoy similar benefits
>(packing up and making decisions on what goes and what moves with
>you) without the heartburn of dealing with a moving company. You
>can put the wad o' cash saved in remodeling towards the Survival
>Party.

Remodeling or an addition is sometimes a good option. In our case is
wasn't an option. Moving has actually been a good thing for us as
we've cleansed ourselves of lots of junk that our kids would have to
sort through when we die. We didn't need another bedroom as between
our places we had 9. Etc. Sometimes a change of environment is a
great thing. But I bore easily.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote in message
. ..
> "The Ranger" > wrote
>> Nancy Young > wrote

>>> Heh, aren't you glad you took the effort to move them?
>>> I have toyed with the idea of moving and looked around
>>> thinking, what would I bring? because I have a lot of stuff
>>> I would not bother taking.
>>>

>> Remodel. It's loads cheaper and you'll enjoy similar
>> benefits (packing up and making decisions on what
>> goes and what moves with you) without the heartburn
>> of dealing with a moving company. You can put the
>> wad o' cash saved in remodeling towards the Survival
>> Party.
>>

> I hear ya, and it's really astonishing to me when I drive
> around my neighborhood to see how many people have
> massively remodelled if not totally replaced their house. The
> land is definitely where the value is in my property. However,
> if I remodel, I will have to pay for that, whereas
> if I sell, I can just use that money to get what I want.

That's what a remodel is all about; getting what _you_ want and
not some cookie-cutter pattern designed by a sweathouse
architecture stuck in some corporation's nightmare.

But I do understand instant gratification, too. =8^)

ObFood: After we moved in, before the kitchen was even finished, I
set up our Coleman and cooked a pot of spaghetti and meat sauce.
Clean-up was simple.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> I can just use that money to get what I want.

Prices these days you won't be able too....remodeling works well.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:26:08 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>Heh, aren't you glad you took the effort to move them?

> The only fighting Louise and I have done in years was about what
> "stuff" should be thrown out or given away. We've been slowly moving
> little stuff for months not really paying attention to how much was
> really here. We went out of town for a weekend and came back to an
> offer with 15 days until closing. The inspector found a bunch of
> nit-wit things that needed to be fixed so we didn't have much time for
> the final sort.

That'll do it, when push comes to shove, just get it out.

>>I have toyed with the idea of moving and looked around thinking, what
>>would I
>>bring? because I have a lot of stuff I would not bother taking.

> Emotions run deep when it comes to saving "stuff."

I've encountered this phenomenon, sometimes guilty of it, too.
I know I don't *need* this, I still want it. Sentimental reasons.

> You remember how
> much you wanted it and how much it cost. Even though you forgot you
> even had "it" you don't want to part with it. We filled a ten yard
> dumpster twice and made 5-6 trips to a non-profit resale store.

Yikes.

> Two
> of our kids are striking out on their own so many of the duplicates
> are being relocated. Most of it is kitchen stuff. It's funny that
> when they are on their own cooking for themselves makes more sense.
> One got a whole set of nice SS cookware. The happy glimmer in her
> eyes was amusing.

That's really nice. It's not like you're tossing it. Half my stuff I'd be
happy to lose if I knew someone who wanted them.

>>I hope you are enjoying your new place.

> More than you can imagine. It's really not a new place. When we met
> we both had homes and bought another that was for "us" as we had
> children from previous marriages and didn't want to force the
> teenagers to live together. My kid stayed in my place and I spent
> time with Louise. Her kids moved on so we sold her house and both
> stay at mine now. The place we bought together is a 1300 sq.ft.
> "cottage" out in the country. We're both to young to completely
> retire so we need to keep a city place to make a living, but we spend
> as much time out there as possible. It's our retreat and when we go
> there I cook for days.

I liked that story, thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I can just use that money to get what I want.

> Prices these days you won't be able too....remodeling works well.

I don't follow. I'm not trying to move up, I would spend the
amount of money I get for my house, or less. If I remodel, I have
to spend money.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Around here all the frshly retired sell their houses and move out into
> the country...To my way of thinking that's stupid...you are getting
> older...the need for medical help and easy shopping is in the city...why
> make it harder on yourself and move further away. Not that you or ron fit
> that bill now but who can say in 10 years.

This subject is very deep.
Even in the country, there are many, many agencies getting the elderly where
they need to go for anything. Elderly that need help whether in the city,
or country, do not take the bus, taxi to shop on their own; they depend on
whatever agencies and family is available to them. Driving 30 miles in the
country takes make 40 minutes. Waiting on a bus or whatever in the city may
take 40 minutes. Dear f-i-l chose his assisted (gracious!) living apartment
because it was closer to the action ;-), but he doesn't take any public
transportation to shop and visit his many medical doctors; he needs help to
get wherever.
I don't think it makes a lot of difference, country or city, depending what
shape one is in as an elderly.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I don't follow. I'm not trying to move up, I would spend the
>> amount of money I get for my house, or less. If I remodel, I have
>> to spend money.

> with the prices of houses these days what you got for your house would
> seem like a lot but getting even a smaller house in a nice area with nice
> features would cost more...

I get what you're saying, but I have every confidence I could find
what I'm looking for (or thinking of looking for) in an even swap, including
selling fees, if I moved. I certainly couldn't remodel this house to what
I want for under a couple hundred grand.

>Better to remodel your house and stay where
> you are as you know the people around you

Only to say hello to, maybe a Christmas card.

> where the stores are etc...
>
> Around here all the frshly retired sell their houses and move out into
> the country...To my way of thinking that's stupid...you are getting
> older...the need for medical help and easy shopping is in the city...why
> make it harder on yourself and move further away. Not that you or ron fit
> that bill now but who can say in 10 years.

Well, one thing I would be looking for is a ranch style house ...
no stairs ... which I will want when I finally get that hip replacement.
I wouldn't move to the middle of nowhere, no. Because I know that
eventually access to medical care will be important.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> LOL. We moved 2 1/2 weeks ago and we're still unpacking boxes. It's
> worse than the dentist. <sigh> I found some old magazines and
> thumbed through them before I tossed them out.
>
> Lou

Lou, I moved almost 4 months ago, and I still have a few boxes that I
have not unpacked. Doncha wish you had thrown most of that stuff away?
I know I did. <g>

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> The place we bought together is a 1300 sq.ft. "cottage" out in the
> country. We're both to young to completely retire so we need to keep
> a city place to make a living, but we spend as much time out there as
> possible. It's our retreat and when we go there I cook for days.
>
> Lou

Your cottage in the country sounds like a great place to get away from
everything and relax. And cook. <g> Good for you, and Louise.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> I can just use that money to get what I want.
>>

>Prices these days you won't be able too....remodeling works well.

I do realize I'm responding to a week old post but things haven't
changed that much in that time. I heard an estimate of 5 million
foreclosures this year. You can get a great deal now if you've got
cash, a stable job, or a brain. But that's this side of the border.
Remodeling in the current market is silly.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:01:08 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>>>I hope you are enjoying your new place.

>> More than you can imagine. It's really not a new place. When we met
>> we both had homes and bought another that was for "us" as we had
>> children from previous marriages and didn't want to force the
>> teenagers to live together. My kid stayed in my place and I spent
>> time with Louise. Her kids moved on so we sold her house and both
>> stay at mine now. The place we bought together is a 1300 sq.ft.
>> "cottage" out in the country. We're both to young to completely
>> retire so we need to keep a city place to make a living, but we spend
>> as much time out there as possible. It's our retreat and when we go
>> there I cook for days.

>I liked that story, thanks.
>
>nancy

Thanks nancy. We got back yesterday from an 8 day holiday. I made a
list of a dozen things I wanted to cook. I did almost all of them
plus a few other foodie pleasures. We're heading back Friday with a
new list of recipes. I've never made ravioli but I'm gonna take a
shot at a crab ravioli w/shallot cream I found in Food And Wine. If
it works out I'll post a picture and a recipe.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 12:08 pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I do realize I'm responding to a week old post but things haven't
> changed that much in that time. I heard an estimate of 5 million
> foreclosures this year. You can get a great deal now if you've got
> cash, a stable job, or a brain. But that's this side of the border.
> Remodeling in the current market is silly.

No, it's not. I have a 60-year-old, granite-faced house on two acres
within 5 miles of my job. The kitchen is a little small, so I would
certainly consider remodeling. In fact, when the mortgage is paid
off, that's just what we plan to do. (Of course, the housing market
will probably be wildly different by then.)

My house is unique, and I doubt I could buy one that suited me any
better, and I wouldn't want to take on a brand-new mortgage
(especially
at current interest rates).

Cindy Hamilton

Danny's BBQ piedmont Barbecue 5 21-01-2010 11:36 AM
Gourmet's list of 20 inventions that changed cooking Mark Thorson General Cooking 88 19-03-2009 05:08 PM
THIS ARTICLE CHANGED MY LIFE, IT COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE AS WELL [email protected] General Cooking 2 26-08-2006 12:09 AM
cooking for family [email protected] General Cooking 1 11-03-2006 10:04 PM
Cooking for a family reunion Stan Marks Barbecue 8 26-04-2005 03:06 AM