Vince Poroke

Default Where to buy a sharpening stone?

Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
Thanks for any assistance
Tequila King

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
> This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
> Thanks for any assistance

Wal Mart

Vince Poroke > wrote:
> Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
> This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
> Thanks for any assistance

Any hardware or cutlery store should sell sharpening stones.

Doug Cutler

If you want top of the line you may have to go mail order:
http://www.woodworkerssupply.com/ > Sharpening Tools > Stones

Doug.

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
> This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
> Thanks for any assistance

Moosemeat

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message .
> Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?

What do you consider "Good quality"?
Nearly every building supply store or any hardware store sells them.
Beyond ordinary carborundum stones there are fine Arkansas, Indian or
Japanese water stones as well as ceramic ones available in any of the wood
working catalogs. But be careful for if your experience follows others, when
your wife catches you poring over woodworking catalogs
she may get testy and hard to get along with.

The Wolf

On 10/14/03 12:49 PM, in article ,
" > opined:

> Vince Poroke > wrote:
>> Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
>> This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
>> Thanks for any assistance

> Any hardware or cutlery store should sell sharpening stones.

wrong
"When a broad table is to be made, and the edges of planks do not fit, the
artist takes a little from both, and makes a good joint. In like manner
here, both sides must part with some of their demands," Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

The Wolf

On 10/14/03 1:15 PM, in article
t, "Doug Cutler"

Correct, here's another source http://www.japanwoodworker.com/
"When a broad table is to be made, and the edges of planks do not fit, the
artist takes a little from both, and makes a good joint. In like manner
here, both sides must part with some of their demands," Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

Dimitri

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
> This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
> Thanks for any assistance

Yellow pages
Your Area
Heading "Knives"
Go to store
Explain needs.
Buy best stone for job.

Dimitri

notbob

On 2003-10-14, Vince Poroke > wrote:
> Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
> This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
> Thanks for any assistance

All over the place. Plug "cutlery" and "California" into Google. Many
big shopping malls have a cutlery shop. Also, sporting goods stores,
especially if they sell guns, usually have an excellent selection of
knives and sharpening stones. Restaurant supply stores always have a
wide selection of high quality stones. You may have to make a trip to
the big city.

nb
Vince Poroke

"Dimitri" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
> > This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
> > Thanks for any assistance

> Yellow pages
> Your Area
> Heading "Knives"
> Go to store
> Explain needs.
> Buy best stone for job.
>
> Dimitri

Okay Dimitri lets walk through this.
Yellow pages: wow there is no listings under knives. So lets try
cutlery, there we go. Place calls to explain needs nothing under
85.00 that is worth using on anything other than a pick. Walmart
doesn't carry them and Lowes, home depot and Ace only carry the lowest
of quality that I wouldn't use on a nail let alone a fine piece of
cutlery.
Frogleg

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:01:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2003-10-14, Vince Poroke > wrote:
>> Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
>> This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
>> Thanks for any assistance

>All over the place. Plug "cutlery" and "California" into Google. Many
>big shopping malls have a cutlery shop. Also, sporting goods stores,
>especially if they sell guns, usually have an excellent selection of
>knives and sharpening stones. Restaurant supply stores always have a
>wide selection of high quality stones. You may have to make a trip to
>the big city.

I got mine at the hardware store.
Jack Schidt®

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message

.com>...
> > "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
> > > This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
> > > Thanks for any assistance

> > Yellow pages
> > Your Area
> > Heading "Knives"
> > Go to store
> > Explain needs.
> > Buy best stone for job.
> >
> > Dimitri

> Okay Dimitri lets walk through this.
> Yellow pages: wow there is no listings under knives. So lets try
> cutlery, there we go. Place calls to explain needs nothing under
> 85.00 that is worth using on anything other than a pick. Walmart
> doesn't carry them and Lowes, home depot and Ace only carry the lowest
> of quality that I wouldn't use on a nail let alone a fine piece of
> cutlery.

You've gotten some really good suggestions on this thread, why are you still
looking for a stone? Where in NoCal are you that there isn't a sharpening
stone to be found? Not jammin ya, only asking.

Jack Dull

PENMART01

"Vince Poroke" wrote

>> > Yellow pages
>> > Your Area
>> > Heading "Knives"
>> > Go to store
>> > Explain needs.
>> > Buy best stone for job.
>> >
>> > Dimitri

>> Okay Dimitri lets walk through this.
>> Yellow pages: wow there is no listings under knives. So lets try
>> cutlery, there we go. Place calls to explain needs nothing under
>> 85.00 that is worth using on anything other than a pick. Walmart
>> doesn't carry them and Lowes, home depot and Ace only carry the lowest
>> of quality that I wouldn't use on a nail let alone a fine piece of
>> cutlery.

Quit yer ****in' n' moanin'... whadaya, friggin' retarded, cancha little NEWBIE
pea brain figger out how to use a search engine... sheesh, whadda dumb putz.

http://www.leevalley.com/home/search...=2&pageGroup=1

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Tequila King

"The Wolf" > wrote in message
> On 10/15/03 6:49 AM, in article , "Tequila King"
> > opined:

plonk

ConnieG999

Vince Poroke wrote:

> > Where can I buy a good quality sharpening stone in Northern Cali?
> > This is getting frustrating not being able to just pick one up.
> > Thanks for any assistance

Heck, I thought you wanted something fancy. If all you want is a whetstone, go
to your local hardware store. They should have several sizes and grits
available.
I use them for all my kitchen sharpening.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.