Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Costco death squad

Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?

They pretend to be so nice, so earnest in their belief in the
greatness of their product, but don't buy it. They are there to
kill you.

Last time I took a sample from some sweet lady, it was a
cracker with dip on it ... I almost choked trying to swallow it
without water. Dryyyy.

Today, I was trapped into it again, Kirkland all natural peanut
butter on a piece of rye. Very tasty. Uh, you don't have any of
those little milk samples to wash it down, do you? Gack.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?
>
> They pretend to be so nice, so earnest in their belief in the
> greatness of their product, but don't buy it. They are there to
> kill you.

Call a TV attorney?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:10:38 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?

The Demo Dollies. I think that's so cute.

>They pretend to be so nice, so earnest in their belief in the
>greatness of their product, but don't buy it. They are there to
>kill you.
>
>Last time I took a sample from some sweet lady, it was a
>cracker with dip on it ... I almost choked trying to swallow it
>without water. Dryyyy.
>
>Today, I was trapped into it again, Kirkland all natural peanut
>butter on a piece of rye. Very tasty. Uh, you don't have any of
>those little milk samples to wash it down, do you? Gack.
>
>nancy

---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 7/27

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Koko> wrote

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:10:38 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?

> The Demo Dollies. I think that's so cute.

Haha, that's right. Funny.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Nancy Young said...
>
>> Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?
>>
>> They pretend to be so nice, so earnest in their belief in the
>> greatness of their product, but don't buy it. They are there to
>> kill you.

> Call a TV attorney?
>
> Andy

Alan Rothenberg, THE injury attorney. Was THE Philadelphia attorney unti
someone clued him in the fact the 'Philadelphia lawyer' is meant as an
insult.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:55:31 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

><Koko> wrote
>
>> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:10:38 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?

>> The Demo Dollies. I think that's so cute.

>Haha, that's right. Funny.
>
>nancy

I think the Demo Dollies will be out here in NM when Tammy comes out
for the cook-in. I don't know if she is bringing them to the cook-in
per se, but they are very welcome if they want to join us. Maybe we
can get them to push samples on folks here at the cook-in.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:55:31 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>><Koko> wrote

>>> The Demo Dollies. I think that's so cute.

>>Haha, that's right. Funny.

> I think the Demo Dollies will be out here in NM when Tammy comes out
> for the cook-in. I don't know if she is bringing them to the cook-in
> per se, but they are very welcome if they want to join us. Maybe we
> can get them to push samples on folks here at the cook-in.

Oh, that's a riot ... stock up on those little condiment cups and
toothpicks. And gloves.

nancy (just kidding, Tammy's Demo Dollies)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?
>
> They pretend to be so nice, so earnest in their belief in the
> greatness of their product, but don't buy it. They are there to
> kill you.

> Today, I was trapped into it again, Kirkland all natural peanut
> butter on a piece of rye. Very tasty. Uh, you don't have any of
> those little milk samples to wash it down, do you? Gack.

No, not milk, but lots of other liquids of dubious nutrition and
terrible aftertaste. Two aisles over.

;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?

>> Today, I was trapped into it again, Kirkland all natural peanut
>> butter on a piece of rye. Very tasty. Uh, you don't have any of
>> those little milk samples to wash it down, do you? Gack.

> No, not milk, but lots of other liquids of dubious nutrition and terrible
> aftertaste. Two aisles over.

Unfortunately it took me four bites to finish off my sample, so when
I needed a sip, I was in the oh-so-dry paper plates and plastic utensil
aisle.

On the way home, it occurred to me, This might be the last time I go to
Costco on a Saturday morning, something I usually avoid. This is
because Ron's retiring in two weeks, why would you go there on
Saturday morning if you can go any other day? Then I thought ...
Why *are* there so many retired people there that time? Samples?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Puester" > wrote
>

>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>>Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?

>>>Today, I was trapped into it again, Kirkland all natural peanut
>>>butter on a piece of rye. Very tasty. Uh, you don't have any of
>>>those little milk samples to wash it down, do you? Gack.

>>No, not milk, but lots of other liquids of dubious nutrition and terrible
>>aftertaste. Two aisles over.

> Unfortunately it took me four bites to finish off my sample, so when
> I needed a sip, I was in the oh-so-dry paper plates and plastic utensil
> aisle.
>
> On the way home, it occurred to me, This might be the last time I go to
> Costco on a Saturday morning, something I usually avoid. This is
> because Ron's retiring in two weeks, why would you go there on
> Saturday morning if you can go any other day? Then I thought ...
> Why *are* there so many retired people there that time? Samples?
>
> nancy

Yup, retiree of my acquaintance always goes to Sam's Club on Saturday
just to nosh on the free samples. He figures it's one meal he won't have
to pay for or cook. I'm retired too but would rather cook my own.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> On the way home, it occurred to me, This might be the last time I go to
>> Costco on a Saturday morning, something I usually avoid. This is
>> because Ron's retiring in two weeks, why would you go there on
>> Saturday morning if you can go any other day? Then I thought ...
>> Why *are* there so many retired people there that time? Samples?
>> nancy

> Yup, retiree of my acquaintance always goes to Sam's Club on Saturday
> just to nosh on the free samples. He figures it's one meal he won't have
> to pay for or cook. I'm retired too but would rather cook my own.
> George

I just can't see "working that hard" to get a free "meal"? Fighting the
crowds, the parking, etc?? Not my cup of tea, y'know?
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Around here (NC) the retirees go during the week, not on the weekends.
> We usually plan our trips for Tuesday, the day the new books and CD's
> come out.
> --
> Susan N.

We try never to "go to town" or shop on the weekends, unless absolutely
necessary. Particularly we would never shop on Saturday morning. &
Definitely not on a Friday night.
Two oldsters,
DH & Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote

>> Around here (NC) the retirees go during the week, not on the weekends.
>> We usually plan our trips for Tuesday, the day the new books and CD's
>> come out.

> We try never to "go to town" or shop on the weekends, unless absolutely
> necessary. Particularly we would never shop on Saturday morning. &
> Definitely not on a Friday night.

That's my general plan, I'm not much for crowds, especially those that
are easily avoided. I have a friend who goes shopping the day after
Thanksgiving because it's a tradition. I think, what, traditional
Nightmare?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:56:57 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Puester" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?

>>> Today, I was trapped into it again, Kirkland all natural peanut
>>> butter on a piece of rye. Very tasty. Uh, you don't have any of
>>> those little milk samples to wash it down, do you? Gack.

>> No, not milk, but lots of other liquids of dubious nutrition and terrible
>> aftertaste. Two aisles over.

>Unfortunately it took me four bites to finish off my sample, so when
>I needed a sip, I was in the oh-so-dry paper plates and plastic utensil
>aisle.
>
>On the way home, it occurred to me, This might be the last time I go to
>Costco on a Saturday morning, something I usually avoid. This is
>because Ron's retiring in two weeks, why would you go there on
>Saturday morning if you can go any other day? Then I thought ...
>Why *are* there so many retired people there that time? Samples?
>
>nancy

Around here (NC) the retirees go during the week, not on the weekends.
We usually plan our trips for Tuesday, the day the new books and CD's
come out.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?
>
>They pretend to be so nice, so earnest in their belief in the
>greatness of their product, but don't buy it. They are there to
>kill you.
>
>Last time I took a sample from some sweet lady, it was a
>cracker with dip on it ... I almost choked trying to swallow it
>without water. Dryyyy.
>
>Today, I was trapped into it again, Kirkland all natural peanut
>butter on a piece of rye. Very tasty. Uh, you don't have any of
>those little milk samples to wash it down, do you? Gack.
>
>nancy

I think those samples are a great service to consumers.
Almost every one of them I've tried, I can honestly say 'Thank God I
got to try it before I bought a whole package of that stuff!'

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote:

>I just can't see "working that hard" to get a free "meal"? Fighting the
>crowds, the parking, etc?? Not my cup of tea, y'know?

Gets them out of the house. I've been "retired" before,
and having something to do that also knocks a few dollars
off the budget is a way off the couch.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:10:38 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?
>>
>>They pretend to be so nice, so earnest in their belief in the
>>greatness of their product, but don't buy it. They are there to
>>kill you.
>>
>>Last time I took a sample from some sweet lady, it was a
>>cracker with dip on it ... I almost choked trying to swallow it
>>without water. Dryyyy.
>>
>>Today, I was trapped into it again, Kirkland all natural peanut
>>butter on a piece of rye. Very tasty. Uh, you don't have any of
>>those little milk samples to wash it down, do you? Gack.
>>
>>nancy

> I think those samples are a great service to consumers.
> Almost every one of them I've tried, I can honestly say 'Thank God I
> got to try it before I bought a whole package of that stuff!'
>
> Ross.

Pumpkin pie sample -- GERD, 1 minute later! But I think it's really tasty.
Any of their 4-cheese raviolis GERD, 1 hour later. Not tasty.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> Why *are* there so many retired people there that time? Samples?
>
> nancy

Cheapie breakfast. And they pick up their drugs then.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 17:59:55 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>That's my general plan, I'm not much for crowds, especially those that
>are easily avoided. I have a friend who goes shopping the day after
>Thanksgiving because it's a tradition. I think, what, traditional
>Nightmare?

If all my Christmas shopping isn't done before Thanksgiving (and it
almost always is), the rest of my shopping gets done on the internet.
I'm not stepping foot in a brick and mortar store from the day after
Thanksgiving to the 2nd of January.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?
> nancy

Demo Dollies?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> On the way home, it occurred to me, This might be the last time I go to
> >> Costco on a Saturday morning, something I usually avoid. This is
> >> because Ron's retiring in two weeks, why would you go there on
> >> Saturday morning if you can go any other day? Then I thought ...
> >> Why *are* there so many retired people there that time? Samples?
> >> nancy

> > Yup, retiree of my acquaintance always goes to Sam's Club on Saturday
> > just to nosh on the free samples. He figures it's one meal he won't have
> > to pay for or cook. I'm retired too but would rather cook my own.
> > George
> >

> I just can't see "working that hard" to get a free "meal"? Fighting the
> crowds, the parking, etc?? Not my cup of tea, y'know?

And I really don't dig the whole "hygiene" aspect of it, either...too many
strange fingers, etc. handling the food.

--
Best
Greg

"I am smarter than you think I am"
- Maryanne "Loafhead" Kehoe to me
in alt.gossip.celebrities

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

>>> Yup, retiree of my acquaintance always goes to Sam's Club on Saturday
>>> just to nosh on the free samples. He figures it's one meal he won't have
>>> to pay for or cook. I'm retired too but would rather cook my own.
>>> George
>>>

>> I just can't see "working that hard" to get a free "meal"? Fighting the
>> crowds, the parking, etc?? Not my cup of tea, y'know?

> And I really don't dig the whole "hygiene" aspect of it, either...too many
> strange fingers, etc. handling the food.

Yes and no. When I've sampled at Sam's Club, the samples are very neatly
portioned and served out by the Demo Dolly, so no one but he/she touches
them. But at regular grocery stores that put samples out... ugh! Dips!?
Cheese cubes and fruit that people pick over or can touch or sneeze on?!
I skeeve that stuff. <shiver!>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>> Nancy Young said...
>>
>>> Those sample ladies, what does Tammy call them?
>>>
>>> They pretend to be so nice, so earnest in their belief in the
>>> greatness of their product, but don't buy it. They are there to
>>> kill you.

>> Call a TV attorney?
>>
>> Andy

> Alan Rothenberg, THE injury attorney. Was THE Philadelphia attorney
> unti someone clued him in the fact the 'Philadelphia lawyer' is meant
> as an insult.
> -ginny

Naw, call The Cochran Firm. Johnny Cochran may be dead but look what he did
for OJ! And really, all Nancy wanted was a sip of milk... or OJ!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

have

> >> I just can't see "working that hard" to get a free "meal"? Fighting the
> >> crowds, the parking, etc?? Not my cup of tea, y'know?

> > And I really don't dig the whole "hygiene" aspect of it, either...too

many
> > strange fingers, etc. handling the food.

> Yes and no. When I've sampled at Sam's Club, the samples are very neatly
> portioned and served out by the Demo Dolly, so no one but he/she touches
> them. But at regular grocery stores that put samples out... ugh! Dips!?
> Cheese cubes and fruit that people pick over or can touch or sneeze on?!
> I skeeve that stuff. <shiver!>

Yep, at my regular store they often just put samples out to paw over, I
cringe when I see people sampling the stuff. More than once I've seen
people take a half - bite out of something and then put it back...

I have a general aversion to salad bars, buffets, bulk goods with
open/accessible bins, bar snacks, olive bars, etc., soooo...

I have trouble enough *myself* managing to stay half - way hygienic/clean in
this urban life, I'm not taking on any added extra "burdens", lol...

--
Best
Greg

"I am smarter than you think I am"
- Maryanne "Loafhead" Kehoe to me
in alt.gossip.celebrities

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote

> Yep, at my regular store they often just put samples out to paw over, I
> cringe when I see people sampling the stuff. More than once I've seen
> people take a half - bite out of something and then put it back...

This place near me, Delicious Orchards, has taken to putting out
cut up fruit under plastic domes. I think this is in self-defense, people
think nothing of grabbing a bunch of cherries and snacking on them
as they walk around the store. You know, under the guise of checking
out if they're any good. So they slice up oranges or peaches and put it
out for people to try. Also cheeses, but they always did that.

Oddly enough, when I read the paper yesterday afternoon, there
was a whole article about samples. They have a picture of both
Delicious Orchards and Costco. One thing it mentions about Costco
is that, if you are going to buy something, it's a big bag of it, so you
better know if you're going to like it. They have a point.

> I have a general aversion to salad bars, buffets, bulk goods with
> open/accessible bins, bar snacks, olive bars, etc., soooo...

I understand. I make exceptions but I just have to forget about
it sometimes. Once in a while, the buffet or salad bar.

> I have trouble enough *myself* managing to stay half - way hygienic/clean
> in
> this urban life, I'm not taking on any added extra "burdens", lol...

(laugh) Ah, the burden of society. I get what you're saying. I went to
a BBQ place a few weeks ago, the salad bar was a little weak, but I
had a good view of it. I saw this guy walk up, sneeze into his hand,
then use that hand to pick up the serving tongs. Sigh. He was well
old enough to know better.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > dropped this turd

>> That's my general plan, I'm not much for crowds, especially those that
>> are easily avoided. I have a friend who goes shopping the day after
>> Thanksgiving because it's a tradition. I think, what, traditional
>> Nightmare?

> Bleh... My SIL *always* goes shopping the day after T'giving. Tradition
> schmadition. She can have it. <<<shudder>>> I have visions of hundreds
> of glittery Santa Claus sweatered warriors fighting over sale items while
> screaming into their cell phones.

This store chain used to have One Day sales, people just went nuts
for them. The place would be mobbed. I'd say, how much would I
actually save to make it worth it? Waiting in those lines??

> I don't have a Costco close to me but I like our Sam's Club. I went once
> on a Sunday afternoon. Never again.

Heh, I learned that once by going to Costco on a Saturday morning in the
spring. I said Never Again. Don't know why I chanced it yesterday,
I don't ever.

> People were lining up at the food
> demo carts. I mean literally lining up and blocking the aisles as the
> line continued to grow.

I believe you. And they get into a zone where they are so
focused on the food they don't realize they are blocking
everything, if not actually running you over to get to the
samples.

Me, I go to the store to shop. Samples are not my thing,
I'm to busy trying to remember that elusive item I know I forgot
to put on my list.

> It amazed me that people would wait 20 minutes,
> in line, for a small taste of crab salad or whatever. I noticed the
> pizza line was the longest. I have Sam's Club rules which I follow
> religiously. Never go on a weekend... ever... unless absolutely
> necessary. On weekdays go at 10am. It's not too crowded and one can
> browse around in peace and quiet.

Ditto. If you don't have to, why not go when it's quiet, some people
don't have a choice but to shop on the weekends, why not make it a
little easier for them?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
:

> Michael <- used to be able to drink everyone under the table except Jill
> and Margaret

I think only Barb could even try to drink Maggie under the table.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote
>
>> Yep, at my regular store they often just put samples out to paw over, I
>> cringe when I see people sampling the stuff. More than once I've seen
>> people take a half - bite out of something and then put it back...

> This place near me, Delicious Orchards, has taken to putting out
> cut up fruit under plastic domes. I think this is in self-defense, people
> think nothing of grabbing a bunch of cherries and snacking on them
> as they walk around the store. You know, under the guise of checking
> out if they're any good. So they slice up oranges or peaches and put it
> out for people to try. Also cheeses, but they always did that.

Kroger does that. Puts out cheese and turkey/ham cubes, melon chunks, pieces
of bread, tortilla chips (to dip into a salsa), etc. under those plastic
domes. I guess the domes act as a kind of sneeze/spit guard, but people can
still reach in and touch a bunch of food that they don't actually take out
to sample.

> (laugh) Ah, the burden of society. I get what you're saying. I went to
> a BBQ place a few weeks ago, the salad bar was a little weak, but I
> had a good view of it. I saw this guy walk up, sneeze into his hand,
> then use that hand to pick up the serving tongs. Sigh. He was well
> old enough to know better.

Ewwwww!

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Yep, at my regular store they often just put samples out to paw over, I
> cringe when I see people sampling the stuff. More than once I've seen
> people take a half - bite out of something and then put it back...

That's bad. But, still I can't stand the fact that they put down a whole
sheet of paper, put the goodies on it, the person picks it up -- oh, those
dirty fingernails, where have they been? -- then she puts a new goob down
exactly on top where the last person has picked it up.

A sample-person laid one down on top of one that a person just picked up,
and told me that that was hot, that I could take it; I explained that I
didn't want one that was set on top of the previous missing one. Boy, talk
about a hornet!

But I've stopped taking samples for the most part unless I see a clean
little square for each one; then I take a good look at the server. Is she
coughing? etc. It's absolutely not worth it just to taste a product.
Usually I shop on a full stomach so I don't worry about getting full-up.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> "Nancy Young" > dropped this turd
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> Ditto. If you don't have to, why not go when it's quiet, some people
>> don't have a choice but to shop on the weekends, why not make it a
>> little easier for them?
>>
>> nancy

> People have busy schedules these days and some don't have the opportunity
> to shop during the week. LOL... I guess those of us that shop during the
> week are in the "seniors" classification
>
> Michael

I saw a senior one day wearing this white T-shirt, on the front, it said,
"I'M A SENIOR, WHERE'S MY GODDAMNED DISCOUNT!"

I'm not sure, but isn't there another classification other than 'senior'
that's come about since the baby-boomers are up for that classification.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On the way home, it occurred to me, This might be the last time I go to
> Costco on a Saturday morning, something I usually avoid. This is
> because Ron's retiring in two weeks, why would you go there on
> Saturday morning if you can go any other day? Then I thought ...
> Why *are* there so many retired people there that time? Samples?
>
> nancy

I've had lots of Fridays and perhaps even Thursdays where there are lots
of samples out at Costco.

Weekends are to be avoided at all costs. But sometimes you just have to.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I think those samples are a great service to consumers.
> Almost every one of them I've tried, I can honestly say 'Thank God I
> got to try it before I bought a whole package of that stuff!'
>
> Ross.

And why is it that when I try a sample and it seems to be tasty then I
buy the 10lb package and get it home and it really isn't good at all?

I do appreciate the samples really and there have been things that I
would not have bought that have been good and I would never have
purchased had it not been for the samples.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:15:33 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>"Nancy Young" > dropped this turd
: in rec.food.cooking

>> Ditto. If you don't have to, why not go when it's quiet, some people
>> don't have a choice but to shop on the weekends, why not make it a
>> little easier for them?
>>
>> nancy

>People have busy schedules these days and some don't have the opportunity
>to shop during the week. LOL... I guess those of us that shop during the
>week are in the "seniors" classification

Or maybe unemployed with an adequate income.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:05:12 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>The Cook > dropped this turd
: in rec.food.cooking

>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:15:33 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>"Nancy Young" > dropped this turd
om: in rec.food.cooking

>>>People have busy schedules these days and some don't have the
>>>opportunity to shop during the week. LOL... I guess those of us that
>>>shop during the week are in the "seniors" classification
>>>

>> Or maybe unemployed with an adequate income.

>In my case I'm not unemployed. I just don't work. Call me an "idle one"
>maybe

If you are not employed then you are unemployed aren't you. Doesn't
matter if you are retired, as in being 65+ or not able to work, or
just don't need to work to eat. We are retired so we qualify as
unemployed, not having a paying job. Does not necessarily mean
qualifying for unemployment benefits.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> In my case I'm not unemployed. I just don't work. Call me an "idle one"
> maybe
>
> Michael

Same here; not working and not looking. I never thought I would quit my
"day job", but since I had to move closer to my mother, it worked out
that way.

I have a partner in another business, so I have to travel sometimes. I
am going to Las Vegas next weekend, then Cleveland, Ohio the weekend
after that. I will try to take some of the Las Vegas restaurant
suggestions that came from this newsgroup.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> Becca > dropped this turd
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

> I have never had the desire to go to Vegas. I don't know why. I suppose
> it just never appealed to me that much. All of my brothers have tried to
> get me to go with them. *sigh* I guess I'll try to make it to Vegas at
> least once. Apparently the food is great and very plentiful.
>
> Michael

I have a relation (in an in-law way) that is getting married in LV late
summer. Many relatives and friends are flying to Vegas for the wedding.
Some of them are saving up for the trip by not gambling as often in CT at
the casinos. My closest in-laws love to gamble and go often as they can --
(psst! very often). It's certainly not my cup of tea. DH and I are the
odd-balls.

The last time I was there was when I saw the tigers in a cage - they were
beautiful, but caged. The volcanoes exploded and it seems there were the
gondolas, IIRC. They tell me I'm missing a lot as it has really changed.
ha ha. Sometimes I think they're right (but only for a few moments.)
I wouldn't mind having the food availability for a few days, though.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> The Cook > dropped this turd
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
> > If you are not employed then you are unemployed aren't you. Doesn't
> > matter if you are retired, as in being 65+ or not able to work, or
> > just don't need to work to eat. We are retired so we qualify as
> > unemployed, not having a paying job. Does not necessarily mean
> > qualifying for unemployment benefits.

> I didn't look at it that way. I suppose I was thinking by being
> unemployed, one was laid off or something.

"Unemployed" kind of infers (or is it "implies"?) that one needs to find
employment so as to provide the basic needs of life. Since you don't fall
into that category I wouldn't consider you "unemployed"...

--
Best
Greg

"I am smarter than you think I am"
- Maryanne "Loafhead" Kehoe to me
in alt.gossip.celebrities

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd > dropped this turd
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> If all my Christmas shopping isn't done before Thanksgiving (and it
>> almost always is), the rest of my shopping gets done on the internet.
>> I'm not stepping foot in a brick and mortar store from the day after
>> Thanksgiving to the 2nd of January.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> I'm with you Terry. MOST of my Christmas shopping is done by the
> middle of September. I like to spend the end of September, all of
> October and weather permitting, all of November in my garden. I do
> about 50% or more of our Xmas shopping online. Unless I want
> something special for someone, I just hand Steven a list of gift
> cards to go out and buy gift cards at the various stores. He usually
> goes with a couple of our friends and winds up getting loaded during
> a late lunch at Schneidhorsts. He calls me to drive them all home.
> That's become a tradition for him and I like him to do it. It's nice
> when he unwinds. Steven seldom drinks much so 2 glasses of wine and
> he's plastered
>
> Michael <- used to be able to drink everyone under the table except
> Jill and Margaret

LOL! Hey, you've never met me so how do you know? I had a birthday last
week and didn't even buy any wine! Got lots of kitty toys for Persia,
though

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Becca > dropped this turd
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Same here; not working and not looking. I never thought I would quit
>> my "day job", but since I had to move closer to my mother, it worked
>> out that way.
>>
>> I have a partner in another business, so I have to travel sometimes.
>> I am going to Las Vegas next weekend, then Cleveland, Ohio the
>> weekend after that. I will try to take some of the Las Vegas
>> restaurant suggestions that came from this newsgroup.
>>
>> Becca

> I have never had the desire to go to Vegas. I don't know why. I
> suppose it just never appealed to me that much. All of my brothers
> have tried to get me to go with them. *sigh* I guess I'll try to
> make it to Vegas at least once. Apparently the food is great and
> very plentiful.
>
> Michael

Head down south to Tunica instead, Michael Same great inexpensive all
you can eat buffets and as much noise as you can stand. Shows, too. I'm
not a gambler so I only went once - a friend dragged me down there and
fronted me $20 for me to play Caribbean poker with him. I wound up winning
about $180! And I was one card away from $53,000 on a progressive. (Sounds
like I know something about poker, doesn't it? LOL) Damn that 2 of hearts!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Becca > dropped this turd

>>I have a partner in another business, so I have to travel sometimes. I
>>am going to Las Vegas next weekend, then Cleveland, Ohio the weekend
>>after that. I will try to take some of the Las Vegas restaurant
>>suggestions that came from this newsgroup.
>>
>>Becca

> I have never had the desire to go to Vegas. I don't know why. I suppose
> it just never appealed to me that much. All of my brothers have tried to
> get me to go with them. *sigh* I guess I'll try to make it to Vegas at
> least once. Apparently the food is great and very plentiful.
>
> Michael

My brother loves Vegas, he goes about 3-4 times a year. It was not my
option to go, I would rather stay home, but they have some great
entertainment, so I will make the most of the trip. I will only be
there 2 days.

Becca