Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweet fruit-filled pastry tarts

I have been working at making these for a while now. I have
discovered that a pre-cooked shell prepared for use with uncooked
fillings and then everything cooked again is more successful than
using an uncooked pastry case complete with fillings. But ...

The pastry case tends to overcook. Can anyone advise a remedy? I
feel that maybe the original pastry case could be cooked a bit longer
at a lower temperature and then removed and an egg-white wash applied
and another 5 minutes cook at a bit higher temp. to seal the base.
Then remove and cool a bit - to hand-hot not warm. Then the filling
inserted (I use a butter/sugar/flour/ground almond/egg with fruit). I
use half-pears but stone fruit would do - I would not use apple. Then
cook the entire tart at a slightly lower temperature for a bit longer?

Anyone tried this? I would appreciate hints from cooks who have gone
down his route rather than untried recipes.

Thanks and cheers

The Golfer's Wife