Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default limes

I've been reading about lime varieties online, and I can't identify mine.
I'll ask the folks who work at the store, but I'm guessing they know about
as much about what they put out there as I do.

Anyhow... The limes I buy fit the descriptions of key limes to a T --
except for one thing. Key limes are said to be seedy, but these have
absolutely no seeds at all.

Ideas?

Ms. V

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms. Velveeta" > wrote in
:

> I've been reading about lime varieties online, and I can't identify
> mine. I'll ask the folks who work at the store, but I'm guessing they
> know about as much about what they put out there as I do.
>
> Anyhow... The limes I buy fit the descriptions of key limes to a T --
> except for one thing. Key limes are said to be seedy, but these have
> absolutely no seeds at all.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Ms. V

Key Limes are just about ping-pong ball size (well a tad larger). On the
whole a lime produces less juice than a lemon, but Key limes produce the
least amount of juice even less than their smaller size would indicate
(at least to my way of looking at it). Perhaps googling for images of
both types persian and key limes would help ...no not bowling for
dollars.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 22, 5:03 pm, "Ms. Velveeta" >
wrote:
> I've been reading about lime varieties online, and I can't identify mine.
> [snip]
> Anyhow... The limes I buy fit the descriptions of key limes to a T --
> except for one thing. Key limes are said to be seedy, but these have
> absolutely no seeds at all.
>
> Ideas?

My Mexican lime tree is said to be the same botanically as the key
lime and the fruit seldom have seeds. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Ms. Velveeta" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I've been reading about lime varieties online, and I can't identify
>> mine. I'll ask the folks who work at the store, but I'm guessing they
>> know about as much about what they put out there as I do.
>>
>> Anyhow... The limes I buy fit the descriptions of key limes to a T --
>> except for one thing. Key limes are said to be seedy, but these have
>> absolutely no seeds at all.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> Ms. V

I've seen bagged small limes in the market labeled "Mexican limes" also.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jul 22, 5:03 pm, "Ms. Velveeta" >
> wrote:
> > I've been reading about lime varieties online, and I can't identify mine.
> > [snip]
> > Anyhow... The limes I buy fit the descriptions of key limes to a T --
> > except for one thing. Key limes are said to be seedy, but these have
> > absolutely no seeds at all.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >

> My Mexican lime tree is said to be the same botanically as the key
> lime and the fruit seldom have seeds. -aem

The bags labelled "key limes" that are in my refrigerator now also
have labelling indicating that they were grown in Mexico. They do have
seeds. I seem to remember reading on the web (so it must be true) that
Key limes and Mexican limes are one and the same, that there are
relatively few key limes grown in the Keys nowadays because the real
estate is used in more lucrative ways, and that most key limes now
come from Mexico.

-bwg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> Key Limes are just about ping-pong ball size (well a tad larger). On the
> whole a lime produces less juice than a lemon, but Key limes produce the

The key limes I've been getting are a bit smaller than pingpong balls
(if I remember pingpong balls' size right). I'd say they are more like
large marbles. I get about a cup of juice from a 2-pound sack of them.
My daughter went bonkers for key lime pie and key lime ade, so we've
been making a lot of both and have a lot of experience with key limes
this year. A cup of juice is enough for two pies or a little less than
3 cups of key lime syrup.

> least amount of juice even less than their smaller size would indicate
> (at least to my way of looking at it). Perhaps googling for images of
> both types persian and key limes would help ...no not bowling for
> dollars.

I think it would be impossible to confuse key limes and persian limes
if you have ever seen either as they differ greatly in size. Are there
other varieties of limes available commercially? I know there are also
kaffir limes and their leaves are available, but I don't think their
fruit are available commercially.

-bwg

Finger Limes koko General Cooking 3 31-08-2014 06:48 PM
getting juice from key limes Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 42 10-07-2012 09:31 PM
Dried Limes ImStillMags General Cooking 5 05-06-2010 03:55 AM
Limes Dimitri General Cooking 1 11-01-2010 10:33 PM
Anyone tried drying limes? JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] General Cooking 41 23-09-2008 11:39 PM