Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Cheesesteak" Sandwich-type Steak?

Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband, who
is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair them
with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a sandwich rather
than in a side dish.

He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions, peppers,
and tomatoes.

I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother uses
those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a child and
getting a bad stomach ache.

Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up fast?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband,
> who is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair
> them with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a
> sandwich rather than in a side dish.
>
> He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions,
> peppers, and tomatoes.
>
> I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother
> uses those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a
> child and getting a bad stomach ache.
>
> Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
> fast?
>
> Thanks.

Jim's Steaks uses USDA choice top round. Ricks Steaks uses rib eye. For
best results partially freeze the beef to facilitate slicing paper thin on
a meat slicer. Toss on a hot grill greased with soybean (vegetable) oil,
chop using "dueling spatulas" as it cooks, squirt a little extra oil on
meat to keep drying out if needed. Yes, you basically have to work non-stop
fast!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband, who
> is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair them
> with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a sandwich rather
> than in a side dish.
>
> He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions, peppers,
> and tomatoes.
>
> I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother uses
> those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a child and
> getting a bad stomach ache.
>
> Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up fast?

When I do tri-tip or petite shoulder roast for dinner I try to make
enough extra so that we can have steak sandwiches the next day.

Slice leftover steak or roast. Decide how many sandwiches-worth of meat
you've got. Butter one side of however many slices of bread (sourdough
is my favorite).

Lay half of the bread butter-side down on a cutting board and top with a
slice of whatever chese you like.

Sautee your veggies - onions, peppers, mushrooms - until barely tender.
Place on top of cheese.

Divide sliced steak between sandwiches, top with more cheese, then
another buttered slice of bread.

Grill sandwiches in either a frying pan or a Foreman-style grill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:21:33 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband, who
>is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair them
>with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a sandwich rather
>than in a side dish.
>
>He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions, peppers,
>and tomatoes.
>
>I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother uses
>those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a child and
>getting a bad stomach ache.
>
>Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up fast?
>
>Thanks.

Maybe try stuffing meat with the veggies? I know it's not what you're
asking but it's always a nice meal and impressive presentation.

Something like this?

http://www.edining.ca/viewrecipe.asp?ID=1760

Sliced thin it could make a nice sandwich too. That recipe screams
for mashed potatoes. I'll have mine open faced of soft white bread
with lots of gravy please. <G>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:06:20 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>I too love my beef and never was big on vegetable; however, a couple of
>years back, I was stuck in Chicago's O'Hare airport for a long delay. I
>became hungry and went to the food court; the fast food joints had long
>lines and I didn't particularly want to wait, so I went to the place with
>the shortest line. They had mostly frou-frou drinks and pastries but also
>had a nice looking sandwich for less than a week's pay. I bought it without
>really knowing what was in it, all I could see was, it was a ciabatta
>stuffed with something and cheese. It was excellent, so I finally looked at
>the label to see what was in it - no meat. Roasted, marinated mushrooms and
>vegetables (red peppers, onion, squash and eggplant). I have duplicated
>this at home by marinating mushroom slices and the vegetables (slice the
>squash and eggplant about half-inch thick), overnight, in Kraft Balsamic
>dressing, oven roast at 375 until soft - hit with broiler at the end to add
>a bit of char, if desired. Split a ciabatta, pile veggies on bottom half,
>cover with cheese (provolone for me) and ciabatta top. I then place the
>sandwich on my cast iron grill pan, with a cast iron skillet on top for
>weight; flip and do the same on the other side - gives a bit of panini look
>to it and melts the cheese. Mmmmm, mmmmm, yummy

This is something I'll have to try. Thanks for posting.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
> Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband, who
> is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair them
> with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a sandwich
> rather than in a side dish.
>
> He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions,
> peppers, and tomatoes.
>
> I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother uses
> those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a child
> and getting a bad stomach ache.
>
> Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
> fast?
>
> Thanks.

My husband is the same. If I make salsa with tomatoes, green peppers, onion
etc. and give him a soup bowl of it along with a pile of Tostitos, a side of
homemade refried beans and some sour cream, he eats it all and the salsa is
far more veggies than he would eat in a salad. You gotta be sneaky. ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:31:39 -0600, "Janet B." >
wrote:

>"cybercat" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband, who
>> is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair them
>> with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a sandwich
>> rather than in a side dish.
>>
>> He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions,
>> peppers, and tomatoes.
>>
>> I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother uses
>> those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a child
>> and getting a bad stomach ache.
>>
>> Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
>> fast?
>>
>> Thanks.

>My husband is the same. If I make salsa with tomatoes, green peppers, onion
>etc. and give him a soup bowl of it along with a pile of Tostitos, a side of
>homemade refried beans and some sour cream, he eats it all and the salsa is
>far more veggies than he would eat in a salad. You gotta be sneaky. ;o}
>Janet

Sneak a few tomatillos in that salsa. yum!!! We planted a bunch
this spring but our house finally sold so we left behind about 10
plants close to 3 feet tall. The new owners didn't even know what
the were and the idiot realtor they had said the garden was overgrown.
Sadly all our hard work has/will be pulled up. I'm sure they think
all the flowers are weeds.

Oh well.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> Sneak a few tomatillos in that salsa. yum!!! We planted a bunch
> this spring but our house finally sold so we left behind about 10
> plants close to 3 feet tall. The new owners didn't even know what
> the were and the idiot realtor they had said the garden was overgrown.
> Sadly all our hard work has/will be pulled up. I'm sure they think
> all the flowers are weeds.
>
> Oh well.

It's really sad, but you have to make up your mind that once it's sold,
it's no longer your problem or delight. People are idiots.

When we sold our last house, the buyers tilled under all our gorgeous
perennial flowers, the asparagus, and strawberries. It was "too much
work" to weed the beds occasionally. Sigh.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:04:55 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> Sneak a few tomatillos in that salsa. yum!!! We planted a bunch
>> this spring but our house finally sold so we left behind about 10
>> plants close to 3 feet tall. The new owners didn't even know what
>> the were and the idiot realtor they had said the garden was overgrown.
>> Sadly all our hard work has/will be pulled up. I'm sure they think
>> all the flowers are weeds.
>>
>> Oh well.
>>

>It's really sad, but you have to make up your mind that once it's sold,
>it's no longer your problem or delight. People are idiots.

>When we sold our last house, the buyers tilled under all our gorgeous
>perennial flowers, the asparagus, and strawberries. It was "too much
>work" to weed the beds occasionally. Sigh.

We've been within a few blocks of the house the last few days. We
don't even want to drive by. This is the new peoples first home so
I'm sure they will think everything is a weed judging by the stupid
comment the realtor made. The house took almost a year to sell so
last fall I went crazy digging stuff up and moving it to the new
place. So we've still got loads of stuff. But it's still sad to see
your work destroyed. I wish I had my tomatillos though. <G> I've
never grown them before and Louise did it for me this year cuz she
knows how much I love them.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband, who
> is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair them
> with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a sandwich rather
> than in a side dish.
>
> He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions, peppers,
> and tomatoes.
>
> I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother uses
> those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a child and
> getting a bad stomach ache.
>
> Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up fast?

Do you have a meat slicer? If so, buy a rump or round roast and slice it
while its partially frozen. Prime rib works good too for this. If you
want something quick, just buy a half pound or so of lean deli roast
beef and a can of Heinz beef gravy. Gently boil the gravy in a pot, add
the roast beef a bit at a time so it doesn't clump together, then simmer
gently for a few minutes and serve that in sandwiches for you and your
husband.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote
> Jim's Steaks uses USDA choice top round. Ricks Steaks uses rib eye. For
> best results partially freeze the beef to facilitate slicing paper thin on
> a meat slicer. Toss on a hot grill greased with soybean (vegetable) oil,
> chop using "dueling spatulas" as it cooks, squirt a little extra oil on
> meat to keep drying out if needed. Yes, you basically have to work
> non-stop
> fast!

Did you used to work in a sandwich shop?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote

> If Trader Joe's stores are in your community, check for "Australian Shaved
> Beef". I buy this every time I find it in my local TJs and it makes great
> steak sandwiches; I add sauted peppers and onions, topping the whole thing
> with provolone cheese.

I have never seen a Trader Joe's in Raleigh NC. I just checked
switchboard.com
and there are two listed for the entire state--one in Highlands and one in
Cary.
Cary is a "bedroom community" of Raleigh, just ten minutes away. I'll check
it
out next time I go out there to hit my favorite shopping center.

> I too love my beef and never was big on vegetable; however, a couple of
> years back, I was stuck in Chicago's O'Hare airport for a long delay. I
> became hungry and went to the food court[ ....] Roasted, marinated
> mushrooms and
> vegetables (red peppers, onion, squash and eggplant). I have duplicated
> this at home by marinating mushroom slices and the vegetables (slice the
> squash and eggplant about half-inch thick), overnight, in Kraft Balsamic
> dressing, oven roast at 375 until soft - hit with broiler at the end to
> add
> a bit of char, if desired. Split a ciabatta, pile veggies on bottom half,
> cover with cheese (provolone for me) and ciabatta top. I then place the
> sandwich on my cast iron grill pan, with a cast iron skillet on top for
> weight; flip and do the same on the other side - gives a bit of panini
> look
> to it and melts the cheese. Mmmmm, mmmmm, yummy
> --

So you see how I'm thinking. I am becoming convinced that staying
healthy, with regard to diet, is as much about adding the right things
to our diets as leaving things out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote
>> Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
>> fast?

> Do you have a meat slicer? If so, buy a rump or round roast and slice it
> while its partially frozen. Prime rib works good too for this.

I think it might be worth getting a slicer, to tell you the truth. I think
I would
use less meat that way.

If you
> want something quick, just buy a half pound or so of lean deli roast
> beef and a can of Heinz beef gravy. Gently boil the gravy in a pot, add
> the roast beef a bit at a time so it doesn't clump together, then simmer
> gently for a few minutes and serve that in sandwiches for you and your
> husband.

I could see this, as long as I can add the vegetables. Onions and peppers,
maybe. Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:31:39 -0600, "Janet B." >
> wrote:

snip

> Sneak a few tomatillos in that salsa. yum!!! We planted a bunch
> this spring but our house finally sold so we left behind about 10
> plants close to 3 feet tall. The new owners didn't even know what
> the were and the idiot realtor they had said the garden was overgrown.
> Sadly all our hard work has/will be pulled up. I'm sure they think
> all the flowers are weeds.
>
> Oh well.
>
> Lou

Oh, man, are tomatillos expensive. I just don't have any more room and I
won't give up my sweet corn. I'll keep my eye out at the farmer's market.
At least there if they are expensive, they'll be big and beautiful.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:56:07 -0600, "Janet B." >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:31:39 -0600, "Janet B." >
>> wrote:

>snip
>>>

>> Sneak a few tomatillos in that salsa. yum!!! We planted a bunch
>> this spring but our house finally sold so we left behind about 10
>> plants close to 3 feet tall. The new owners didn't even know what
>> the were and the idiot realtor they had said the garden was overgrown.
>> Sadly all our hard work has/will be pulled up. I'm sure they think
>> all the flowers are weeds.
>>
>> Oh well.
>>
>> Lou

>Oh, man, are tomatillos expensive. I just don't have any more room and I
>won't give up my sweet corn. I'll keep my eye out at the farmer's market.
>At least there if they are expensive, they'll be big and beautiful.
>Janet

I don't even want to think about how much money in veggies we walked
away from. I saw them last week at the mexi place for $.79 a pound
which is pretty cheap. They also had ginger for the same price. I
candy ginger in a slow cooker. As soon as I find it I'll go back and
get a few pounds. The kitchen is only half way put together and I
can't find much. I'm the cook here and Louise is the gardener. At
least she's got her part looking nice. LOL

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>> Jim's Steaks uses USDA choice top round. Ricks Steaks uses rib eye. For
>> best results partially freeze the beef to facilitate slicing paper thin

on
>> a meat slicer. Toss on a hot grill greased with soybean (vegetable) oil,
>> chop using "dueling spatulas" as it cooks, squirt a little extra oil on
>> meat to keep drying out if needed. Yes, you basically have to work
>> non-stop
>> fast!
>>

> Did you used to work in a sandwich shop?

Thankfully no!!! My sister-in-law (then, when we first arrived) worked at a
sports bar & grill and made me my first and then second cheese steak.
Swiped the bottle of ketchup right out of my hand, she did, scolding "a
GREAT cheese steak doesn't need ketchup!!!"

Then she taught me how to make them.

Plus, when you're never more than five minutes away from a steak shop and
you've seen them made 1,000 times, you pick up tidbits of cheese steak
info.

For instance, Pat's "King of Steaks" where everybody "has to go for a
'real' Philly cheese steak" doesn't even use Amoroso rolls!!! Not very
King-like!!! And they don't hide that fact since the empty loaf boxes are
stacked up outside in plain sight.

The only standing argument between the two Philly cheese steak camps is
over cheez-whiz vs. American cheese.

This could be on the test!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband,
>> who
>> is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair
>> them
>> with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a sandwich
>> rather
>> than in a side dish.
>>
>> He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions,
>> peppers,
>> and tomatoes.
>>
>> I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother
>> uses
>> those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a child
>> and
>> getting a bad stomach ache.
>>
>> Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
>> fast?

> Do you have a meat slicer? If so, buy a rump or round roast and slice it
> while its partially frozen. Prime rib works good too for this. If you
> want something quick, just buy a half pound or so of lean deli roast
> beef and a can of Heinz beef gravy. Gently boil the gravy in a pot, add
> the roast beef a bit at a time so it doesn't clump together, then simmer
> gently for a few minutes and serve that in sandwiches for you and your
> husband.

Oh, yuk!

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:56:07 -0600, "Janet B." >
> wrote:
>

>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:31:39 -0600, "Janet B." >
>>> wrote:

>>snip

>>Oh, man, are tomatillos expensive. I just don't have any more room and I
>>won't give up my sweet corn. I'll keep my eye out at the farmer's market.
>>At least there if they are expensive, they'll be big and beautiful.
>>Janet

> I don't even want to think about how much money in veggies we walked
> away from.
>
> Lou

I can feel your pain. I would really hurt me to have to walk away from my
garden in production time. Sorry.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:00:55 -0400, "MOMPEAGRAM"
> wrote:

>> Do you have a meat slicer? If so, buy a rump or round roast and slice it
>> while its partially frozen. Prime rib works good too for this. If you
>> want something quick, just buy a half pound or so of lean deli roast
>> beef and a can of Heinz beef gravy. Gently boil the gravy in a pot, add
>> the roast beef a bit at a time so it doesn't clump together, then simmer
>> gently for a few minutes and serve that in sandwiches for you and your
>> husband.

>Oh, yuk!
>
>MoM

He had to get the Heinz plug in. I'm surprised he didn't recommend
ketchup.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:02:44 GMT, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> He had to get the Heinz plug in. I'm surprised he didn't recommend
>> ketchup.

> Putting a plug in is one thing, but purposely misleading someone
> under the guise of being helpful is another.
>
> He must be on the John Makey Plan for Personal Fulfillment.
>
> -sw

He owns stock in Heinz, what would you expect? Could have at least
suggested au jus and made it sound French Dip-ish. Does Heinz market an au
jus?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 22, 10:46 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> cybercat said...
>

> > Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband,
> > who is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair
> > them with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a
> > sandwich rather than in a side dish.

> > He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions,
> > peppers, and tomatoes.

> > I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother
> > uses those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a
> > child and getting a bad stomach ache.

My mother used to buy those too. Pretty awful.

> > Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
> > fast?

> > Thanks.

> Jim's Steaks uses USDA choice top round. Ricks Steaks uses rib eye. For
> best results partially freeze the beef to facilitate slicing paper thin on
> a meat slicer. Toss on a hot grill greased with soybean (vegetable) oil,
> chop using "dueling spatulas" as it cooks, squirt a little extra oil on
> meat to keep drying out if needed. Yes, you basically have to work non-stop
> fast!

Why use the worst tasting oil? Soybean oil is the cheapest, crappiest
stuff, even worse than canola. Why recommend using bad oil?

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> On Jul 22, 10:46 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> cybercat said...
>>

>> > Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my
>> > husband, who is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out
>> > that if I pair them with certain things he is more likely to eat
>> > them--say, on a sandwich rather than in a side dish.

>> > He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions,
>> > peppers, and tomatoes.

>> > I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother
>> > uses those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as
>> > a child and getting a bad stomach ache.

> My mother used to buy those too. Pretty awful.
>>
>> > Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
>> > fast?

>> > Thanks.

>> Jim's Steaks uses USDA choice top round. Ricks Steaks uses rib eye. For
>> best results partially freeze the beef to facilitate slicing paper thin
>> on a meat slicer. Toss on a hot grill greased with soybean (vegetable)
>> oil, chop using "dueling spatulas" as it cooks, squirt a little extra
>> oil on meat to keep drying out if needed. Yes, you basically have to
>> work non-stop fast!

> Why use the worst tasting oil? Soybean oil is the cheapest, crappiest
> stuff, even worse than canola. Why recommend using bad oil?
>>
>> Andy

> --Bryan

As if cheez-whiz is The King of Cheese the world 'round? <G>

Of course you can use whatever oil you like.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:00:55 -0400, "MOMPEAGRAM"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Do you have a meat slicer? If so, buy a rump or round roast and slice
>>> it
>>> while its partially frozen. Prime rib works good too for this. If you
>>> want something quick, just buy a half pound or so of lean deli roast
>>> beef and a can of Heinz beef gravy. Gently boil the gravy in a pot,
>>> add
>>> the roast beef a bit at a time so it doesn't clump together, then
>>> simmer
>>> gently for a few minutes and serve that in sandwiches for you and your
>>> husband.

>>Oh, yuk!
>>
>>MoM
>>

> He had to get the Heinz plug in. I'm surprised he didn't recommend
> ketchup.
>
> Lou

Well, that definitely wasn't a cheese steak sandwich. I've never had one
and I know that.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 22, 10:46 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> cybercat said...
>>

>> > Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my
>> > husband,
>> > who is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I
>> > pair
>> > them with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a
>> > sandwich rather than in a side dish.

>> > He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions,
>> > peppers, and tomatoes.

>> > I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother
>> > uses those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as
>> > child and getting a bad stomach ache.

> My mother used to buy those too. Pretty awful.
>>
>> > Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
>> > fast?

>> > Thanks.

>> Jim's Steaks uses USDA choice top round. Ricks Steaks uses rib eye. For
>> best results partially freeze the beef to facilitate slicing paper thin
>> on
>> a meat slicer. Toss on a hot grill greased with soybean (vegetable)
>> oil,
>> chop using "dueling spatulas" as it cooks, squirt a little extra oil on
>> meat to keep drying out if needed. Yes, you basically have to work
>> non-stop
>> fast!

> Why use the worst tasting oil? Soybean oil is the cheapest, crappiest
> stuff, even worse than canola. Why recommend using bad oil?
>>
>> Andy

> --Bryan

I like sunflower oil myself. Can't find it in Texas where we are and soy
oil is second to that. The best is peanut oil and haven't seen that
either.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MOMPEAGRAM said...

> "Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Jul 22, 10:46 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>>> cybercat said...

>> My mother used to buy those too. Pretty awful.

>>> Jim's Steaks uses USDA choice top round. Ricks Steaks uses rib eye. For
>>> best results partially freeze the beef to facilitate slicing paper thin
>>> on
>>> a meat slicer. Toss on a hot grill greased with soybean (vegetable)
>>> oil,
>>> chop using "dueling spatulas" as it cooks, squirt a little extra oil on
>>> meat to keep drying out if needed. Yes, you basically have to work
>>> non-stop
>>> fast!

>> Why use the worst tasting oil? Soybean oil is the cheapest, crappiest
>> stuff, even worse than canola. Why recommend using bad oil?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> --Bryan

> I like sunflower oil myself. Can't find it in Texas where we are and soy
> oil is second to that. The best is peanut oil and haven't seen that
> either.
>
> MoM

Helen,

Peanut oil? We're not deep-frying cheese steaks here in Philly!

YET!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message

> I like sunflower oil myself. Can't find it in Texas where we are and soy
> oil is second to that. The best is peanut oil and haven't seen that
> either.
>
> MoM

Try Costco around Thanksgiving. They carry it then in the huge boxed
containers -- I guess for everyone that puts a turkey in the deep fryer.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 12:01 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> MOMPEAGRAM said...
>

> > "Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
> oups.com...

> >> My mother used to buy those too. Pretty awful.

> >> Why use the worst tasting oil? Soybean oil is the cheapest, crappiest
> >> stuff, even worse than canola. Why recommend using bad oil?

> >> --Bryan

> > I like sunflower oil myself. Can't find it in Texas where we are and soy
> > oil is second to that. The best is peanut oil and haven't seen that
> > either.

I buy gallons of peanut oil at Shop'n Save, and I imagine most of the
other Supervalu stores would have that too:
http://www.supervalu.com/sv-webapp/index.jsp

> > MoM

> Helen,
>
> Peanut oil? We're not deep-frying cheese steaks here in Philly!

Peanut oil is good for more than deep frying and stir frying. That
and olive are the only veg oils in my pantry right now.

> YET!
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

>> Peanut oil? We're not deep-frying cheese steaks here in Philly!

> Peanut oil is good for more than deep frying and stir frying. That
> and olive are the only veg oils in my pantry right now.

That's fine Brian. You and Helen take the thread in the oils tangent but,
since you quote-dragged me into yours, I have to add, in all fairness that
you'll probably never find a cheese steak made using peanut or olive oil in
Philadelphia. Using an oil to introduce flavor into one comes highly
unrecomended.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 5:22 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® said...
>
> >> Peanut oil? We're not deep-frying cheese steaks here in Philly!

> > Peanut oil is good for more than deep frying and stir frying. That
> > and olive are the only veg oils in my pantry right now.

> That's fine Brian. You and Helen take the thread in the oils tangent but,
> since you quote-dragged me into yours, I have to add, in all fairness that
> you'll probably never find a cheese steak made using peanut or olive oil in
> Philadelphia. Using an oil to introduce flavor into one comes highly
> unrecomended.

You were the one who suggested using shitty soybean oil (there's a
reason why it's so cheap). I merely suggested replacing the soybean
oil with a vegetable oil that doesn't taste nasty. Believe me, I
think it's be better with lard or clarified butter.

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> On Jul 23, 5:22 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® said...

>> > Peanut oil is good for more than deep frying and stir frying. That
>> > and olive are the only veg oils in my pantry right now.

>> That's fine Brian. You and Helen take the thread in the oils tangent

but,
>> since you quote-dragged me into yours, I have to add, in all fairness

that
>> you'll probably never find a cheese steak made using peanut or olive oil

> in
>> Philadelphia. Using an oil to introduce flavor into one comes highly
>> unrecomended.

> You were the one who suggested using shitty soybean oil (there's a
> reason why it's so cheap). I merely suggested replacing the soybean
> oil

No, Bryan, you didn't merely suggest replacing the soybean oil, YOU called
it shitty right up front, Iyho! You like flavored oils, understood.

Make your own cheese steaks, like I suggested and leave us to our methods.

You'll never make a Great Philly cheese steak, obviously, until you come to
Philly and let us make one for you.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 6:01 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® said...
>

> > On Jul 23, 5:22 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> >> Bobo Bonobo® said...

> >> That's fine Brian. You and Helen take the thread in the oils tangent

> but,
> >> since you quote-dragged me into yours, I have to add, in all fairness

> that
> >> you'll probably never find a cheese steak made using peanut or olive oil

> > in
> >> Philadelphia. Using an oil to introduce flavor into one comes highly
> >> unrecomended.

> > You were the one who suggested using shitty soybean oil (there's a
> > reason why it's so cheap). I merely suggested replacing the soybean
> > oil

> No, Bryan, you didn't merely suggest replacing the soybean oil, YOU called
> it shitty right up front, Iyho! You like flavored oils, understood.

So, peanut oil is "flavored," and soybean oil is not?

> Make your own cheese steaks, like I suggested and leave us to our methods.

I did a Google search and the first result used olive oil:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...eak37718.shtml
The second used "Soya bean oil," but also used Cheez Whiz®. A lot of
credibility there. http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm
Emeril, on Food Network, does not specify an oil, but he also suggests
Cheez Whiz®. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20382,00.html
The 4th one uses BUTTER!

> You'll never make a Great Philly cheese steak, obviously, until you come to
> Philly and let us make one for you.

Listen dude, if you want to tout Cheez Whiz® as an ingredient, go for
it, but just because something is *authentic* doesn't make it good.
Here in St. Louis they use process cheese on St. Louis Style Pizza.
It's slimy. In other words, I don't have to travel 1000+ miles to get
my hands on a local favorite made with process cheese.
I gather that there are some, more civilized Philidelphians, who use
provolone, which is *real* cheese, just like some St. Louisans insist
on mozzarella (preferably whole milk mozzarella).

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:

> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "cybercat" > wrote:
> >
> >> Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband,
> >> who
> >> is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair
> >> them
> >> with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a sandwich
> >> rather
> >> than in a side dish.
> >>
> >> He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions,
> >> peppers,
> >> and tomatoes.
> >>
> >> I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother
> >> uses
> >> those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a child
> >> and
> >> getting a bad stomach ache.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
> >> fast?

> > Do you have a meat slicer? If so, buy a rump or round roast and slice it
> > while its partially frozen. Prime rib works good too for this. If you
> > want something quick, just buy a half pound or so of lean deli roast
> > beef and a can of Heinz beef gravy. Gently boil the gravy in a pot, add
> > the roast beef a bit at a time so it doesn't clump together, then simmer
> > gently for a few minutes and serve that in sandwiches for you and your
> > husband.

Its common at beef and beer fund raiser dinners in my area.

Heinz ketchup too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <0RVoi.1030$Ok5.865@trndny02>,
"Paco's Tacos" > wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:02:44 GMT, Lou Decruss wrote:
> >
> >> He had to get the Heinz plug in. I'm surprised he didn't recommend
> >> ketchup.

> > Putting a plug in is one thing, but purposely misleading someone
> > under the guise of being helpful is another.
> >
> > He must be on the John Makey Plan for Personal Fulfillment.
> >
> > -sw

> He owns stock in Heinz, what would you expect? Could have at least
> suggested au jus and made it sound French Dip-ish. Does Heinz market an au
> jus?

I believe so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> On Jul 23, 6:01 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® said...

>> but,

>> that

> il
>> > in

>> > You were the one who suggested using shitty soybean oil (there's a
>> > reason why it's so cheap). I merely suggested replacing the soybean
>> > oil

>> No, Bryan, you didn't merely suggest replacing the soybean oil, YOU
>> called it shitty right up front, Iyho! You like flavored oils,
>> understood.

> So, peanut oil is "flavored," and soybean oil is not?
>>
>> Make your own cheese steaks, like I suggested and leave us to our
>> methods.

> I did a Google search and the first result used olive oil:
> http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ese_Steak37718
> .shtml The second used "Soya bean oil," but also used Cheez Whiz®. A
> lot of credibility there. http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm
> Emeril, on Food Network, does not specify an oil, but he also suggests
> Cheez Whiz®.
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._9936_20382,00.
> html The 4th one uses BUTTER!
>>
>> You'll never make a Great Philly cheese steak, obviously, until you
>> come

>> Philly and let us make one for you.

> Listen dude, if you want to tout Cheez Whiz® as an ingredient, go for
> it, but just because something is *authentic* doesn't make it good.
> Here in St. Louis they use process cheese on St. Louis Style Pizza.
> It's slimy. In other words, I don't have to travel 1000+ miles to get
> my hands on a local favorite made with process cheese.
> I gather that there are some, more civilized Philidelphians, who use
> provolone, which is *real* cheese, just like some St. Louisans insist
> on mozzarella (preferably whole milk mozzarella).
>

>> Andy

> --Bryan

OK, you found a CDkitchen web recipe. What a boy scout! It's not authentic.
No badge, sorry!

Keep up with your St. Louis oil and cheese cheese steak fight, as if you
know what you're talking about.

L8R,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 22, 9:00 pm, "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:
> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message

> > In article >,
> > "cybercat" > wrote:

> >> Still trying to figure out how to get more vegetables into my husband,
> >> who
> >> is one of those meat-and-potatoes guys. I figured out that if I pair
> >> them
> >> with certain things he is more likely to eat them--say, on a sandwich
> >> rather
> >> than in a side dish.

> >> He loves cheese steak subs, and I could load them down with onions,
> >> peppers,
> >> and tomatoes.

> >> I never notice thin steaks in the fresh meat, though, and his mother
> >> uses
> >> those horrible "steakums" things that I remember eating once as a child
> >> and
> >> getting a bad stomach ache.

> >> Any suggestions on cuts to look for? Just anything thin and fry it up
> >> fast?

> > Do you have a meat slicer? If so, buy a rump or round roast and slice it
> > while its partially frozen. Prime rib works good too for this. If you
> > want something quick, just buy a half pound or so of lean deli roast
> > beef and a can of Heinz beef gravy. Gently boil the gravy in a pot, add
> > the roast beef a bit at a time so it doesn't clump together, then simmer
> > gently for a few minutes and serve that in sandwiches for you and your
> > husband.

> Oh, yuk!

Oh, sliced beef simmered in canned gravy doesn't appeal? You must be
one of those food snobs

My sister-in-law served jarred turkey gravy for Christmas one year.
Freakin' CHRISTMAS! She also served this kind of oval thing that came
out of a package that said TURKEY on it, and while I don't doubt that
"turkey" was at the top of its list of ingredients, to present it as
'turkey," well....

> MoM

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz said...

> Its common at beef and beer fund raiser dinners in my area.
>
> Heinz ketchup too!

Stan,

Have you gotten on the Heinz organic ketchup bandwagon? Tastes the same, cost
a few cents more and no HFCS.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 8:17 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® said...
>

> > On Jul 23, 6:01 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> >> Bobo Bonobo® said...

> >> but,
> >> that

> > il

> >> No, Bryan, you didn't merely suggest replacing the soybean oil, YOU
> >> called it shitty right up front, Iyho! You like flavored oils,
> >> understood.

> > So, peanut oil is "flavored," and soybean oil is not?

> >> Make your own cheese steaks, like I suggested and leave us to our
> >> methods.

> > I did a Google search and the first result used olive oil:
> >http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec..._Cheese_Steak3...
> > .shtml The second used "Soya bean oil," but also used Cheez Whiz®. A
> > lot of credibility there. http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm
> > Emeril, on Food Network, does not specify an oil, but he also suggests
> > Cheez Whiz®.
> >http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._9936_20382,00.
> > html The 4th one uses BUTTER!

> >> You'll never make a Great Philly cheese steak, obviously, until you
> >> come

> >> Philly and let us make one for you.

> > Listen dude, if you want to tout Cheez Whiz® as an ingredient, go for
> > it, but just because something is *authentic* doesn't make it good.
> > Here in St. Louis they use process cheese on St. Louis Style Pizza.
> > It's slimy. In other words, I don't have to travel 1000+ miles to get
> > my hands on a local favorite made with process cheese.
> > I gather that there are some, more civilized Philidelphians, who use
> > provolone, which is *real* cheese, just like some St. Louisans insist
> > on mozzarella (preferably whole milk mozzarella).

> >> Andy

> > --Bryan

> OK, you found a CDkitchen web recipe. What a boy scout! It's not authentic.
> No badge, sorry!

The second site was Pat's http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm

Authentic?

Cheez Whiz®?

> Keep up with your St. Louis oil and cheese cheese steak fight, as if you
> know what you're talking about.

Cheez Whiz® I'm talking about Cheez Whiz®.

Pat's site says, "Cheese {we recommend Cheez Whiz®} American or
Provolone works fine" As if it is in any way reasonable to suggest
that Cheez Whiz® and Provolone are equivalent.
Cheez Whiz®

> L8R,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Bobo Bonobo® said...
>
>> On Jul 23, 5:22 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
>>> Bobo Bonobo® said...

>>> That's fine Brian. You and Helen take the thread in the oils tangent

> but,
>>> since you quote-dragged me into yours, I have to add, in all fairness

> that
>>> you'll probably never find a cheese steak made using peanut or olive oil

>> in
>>> Philadelphia. Using an oil to introduce flavor into one comes highly
>>> unrecomended.

>> You were the one who suggested using shitty soybean oil (there's a
>> reason why it's so cheap). I merely suggested replacing the soybean
>> oil

> No, Bryan, you didn't merely suggest replacing the soybean oil, YOU called
> it shitty right up front, Iyho! You like flavored oils, understood.
>
> Make your own cheese steaks, like I suggested and leave us to our methods.
>
> You'll never make a Great Philly cheese steak, obviously, until you come
> Philly and let us make one for you.
>
> Andy

Andy, can you get him one 'wit' Miracle Whip? Bryan LOVES Miracle Whip!
;-)~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paco's Tacos said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Bobo Bonobo® said...

>> but,

>> that

oil
>>> in
>>>
>>> You were the one who suggested using shitty soybean oil (there's a
>>> reason why it's so cheap). I merely suggested replacing the soybean
>>> oil

>> No, Bryan, you didn't merely suggest replacing the soybean oil, YOU

called
>> it shitty right up front, Iyho! You like flavored oils, understood.
>>
>> Make your own cheese steaks, like I suggested and leave us to our

methods.

>> You'll never make a Great Philly cheese steak, obviously, until you come
>> Philly and let us make one for you.
>>
>> Andy

> Andy, can you get him one 'wit' Miracle Whip? Bryan LOVES Miracle Whip!
> ;-)~

ICK! Sure! But that would make it a cheese steak hoagie. Probably sound out
a warning signal of "Diarrhea Walking!!!"

<VBG>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 10:54 pm, "Paco's Tacos" > wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in ...
> > Bobo Bonobo® said...

> > but,

> > that
> >> in

> >> You were the one who suggested using shitty soybean oil (there's a
> >> reason why it's so cheap). I merely suggested replacing the soybean
> >> oil

> > No, Bryan, you didn't merely suggest replacing the soybean oil, YOU called
> > it shitty right up front, Iyho! You like flavored oils, understood.

> > Make your own cheese steaks, like I suggested and leave us to our methods.

> > You'll never make a Great Philly cheese steak, obviously, until you come
> > Philly and let us make one for you.

> > Andy

> Andy, can you get him one 'wit' Miracle Whip? Bryan LOVES Miracle Whip!
> ;-)~

You could put some Durkee® French fried onions on it too. That'd go
great with the Cheez Whiz® and Miracle Whip®. You could make a chip
dip to go with it with sour cream and a packet of onion soup mix!
Dessert could feature Cool Whip®. Cool Whip®, Miracle Whip®, they're
like cousins!

I read this to my wife. She just said, "Yuck."

--Bryan