Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another zucchini recipe

I found this in my recipe box. I believe it's from the Providence
Journal, circa 1980. I can't tell whether it's meant to be a quiche,
dessert, side dish, or whatever. gloria p

Zucchini Custard

2 pounds small, firm zucchini, peeled and
cut into 2 inch long, 1/4 inch thick strips.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 large eggs
1/2 to 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
freshly ground pepper

Bring 6 quarts of heavily salted water to a boil. Add the zucchini and
return to boil. Boil 30 seconds, drain well.

Spread zucchini in a single layer on kitchen towels and let dry for
several hours or all day.

Preheat oven to 450 deg. F

Mix the cream and eggs well, add zucchini, cheese, and pepper. Pour
into a 9 or 10 inch pie plate or ceramic quiche pan. Place on a baking
sheet int he lower third of the oven and bake 40 minutes or until
puffed, brown, custardy and set. Serve immediately.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> I found this in my recipe box. I believe it's from the Providence
> Journal, circa 1980. I can't tell whether it's meant to be a quiche,
> dessert, side dish, or whatever. gloria p
>
> Zucchini Custard
>
> 2 pounds small, firm zucchini, peeled and
> cut into 2 inch long, 1/4 inch thick strips.
> 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
> 3 large eggs
> 1/2 to 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
> freshly ground pepper
>
> Bring 6 quarts of heavily salted water to a boil. Add the zucchini and
> return to boil. Boil 30 seconds, drain well.
>
> Spread zucchini in a single layer on kitchen towels and let dry for
> several hours or all day.
>
> Preheat oven to 450 deg. F
>
> Mix the cream and eggs well, add zucchini, cheese, and pepper. Pour
> into a 9 or 10 inch pie plate or ceramic quiche pan. Place on a baking
> sheet int he lower third of the oven and bake 40 minutes or until
> puffed, brown, custardy and set. Serve immediately.

That's sformato here, and very good indeed. I had one made with green
beans last night. You can use milk instead of cream and it's still very
good. I even use skim milk. I've never gone to all that effort to cook
the zucchine, though. I just use leftovers, cut up as I like.

Zucchini recipe gloria.p Preserving 3 28-08-2011 07:17 PM
Zucchini tribute: my recipe with many many pics [was Zucchini?] Pandora General Cooking 7 26-07-2007 01:09 PM
Seeking Zucchini recipe maxine in ri General Cooking 12 24-07-2007 04:44 AM
OOPS! Here's the zucchini pie recipe. nancree General Cooking 0 20-07-2005 04:06 AM
Stuffed zucchini recipe C. James Strutz Vegan 8 12-08-2004 10:11 PM