Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seeking Zucchini recipe

We went to a picnic at the community garden where my stepson's Mom has
her little slice of eden. Most of the food was either obvious,
forgettable, or didn't interest me as to the recipes, but one dish
stood out, and I've had no luck searching for it.

It was eggy, cheesy, with some type of carbohydrate for structure,
with slices of zucchini throughout. It was very light, not at all
greasy, and I've tried putting those ingredients in the search
engines, into recipe websites, etc. and come up blank. On one list,
someone said it sounded like a "crabcake" recipe she had, that has
shredded zucchini and Old Bay seasoning, but I made that last week and
it was _not_ a keeper. Third time in 17 years my husband hasn't liked
a dish I made.

Anyone have a recipe for anything like this? I would have asked the
person who brought it, but by the time I found her, she was well into
her cups and wasn't good for much.

TIA maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default RECIPE (was Seeking Zucchini recipe)

maxine in ri wrote:
> We went to a picnic at the community garden where my stepson's Mom has
> her little slice of eden. Most of the food was either obvious,
> forgettable, or didn't interest me as to the recipes, but one dish
> stood out, and I've had no luck searching for it.
>
> It was eggy, cheesy, with some type of carbohydrate for structure,
> with slices of zucchini throughout. It was very light, not at all
> greasy, and I've tried putting those ingredients in the search
> engines, into recipe websites, etc. and come up blank.

Maxine:

That sounds very much like the 70's Bisquick recipe for
zucchini squares. Do you remember the crustless pie recipes that went
around back then under names like "Impossible Custard Pie"?

Hah! I just found it in my recipe box.

ZUCCHINI APPETIZERS

3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
1 c. Bisquick
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan or Swiss cheese (or more!)
2 Tbsp. minced parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. marjoram or oregano
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 clove garlic, finely minced (or more)
1/2 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten.

Heat oven to 350deg. F. Grease 9x13 inch pan.
Mix all ingredients, spread in pan. Bake until golden, ~25 minutes.
Cut into squares or triangles to serve. This is good hot, cold, or
in between.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 01:44:35 -0000, maxine in ri >
wrote:

>We went to a picnic at the community garden where my stepson's Mom has
>her little slice of eden. Most of the food was either obvious,
>forgettable, or didn't interest me as to the recipes, but one dish
>stood out, and I've had no luck searching for it.
>
>It was eggy, cheesy, with some type of carbohydrate for structure,
>with slices of zucchini throughout. It was very light, not at all
>greasy, and I've tried putting those ingredients in the search
>engines, into recipe websites, etc. and come up blank. On one list,
>someone said it sounded like a "crabcake" recipe she had, that has
>shredded zucchini and Old Bay seasoning, but I made that last week and
>it was _not_ a keeper. Third time in 17 years my husband hasn't liked
>a dish I made.
>
>Anyone have a recipe for anything like this? I would have asked the
>person who brought it, but by the time I found her, she was well into
>her cups and wasn't good for much.
>
>TIA maxine in ri

Look at the two "puff" recipes I posted in the other zucchini thread
and see if that's the type of thing you're looking for. Or you might
start with a quiche recipe if custardy is more like it.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:

>> Anyone have a recipe for anything like this? I would have asked the
>> person who brought it, but by the time I found her, she was well into
>> her cups and wasn't good for much.
>>
>> TIA maxine in ri

> Look at the two "puff" recipes I posted in the other zucchini thread
> and see if that's the type of thing you're looking for. Or you might
> start with a quiche recipe if custardy is more like it.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Perhaps a strata with zucchini in it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> maxine in ri wrote:
>> We went to a picnic at the community garden where my stepson's Mom has
>> her little slice of eden. Most of the food was either obvious,
>> forgettable, or didn't interest me as to the recipes, but one dish
>> stood out, and I've had no luck searching for it.
>>
>> It was eggy, cheesy, with some type of carbohydrate for structure,
>> with slices of zucchini throughout. It was very light, not at all
>> greasy, and I've tried putting those ingredients in the search
>> engines, into recipe websites, etc. and come up blank.

> Maxine:
>
> That sounds very much like the 70's Bisquick recipe for
> zucchini squares. Do you remember the crustless pie recipes that went
> around back then under names like "Impossible Custard Pie"?
>
> Hah! I just found it in my recipe box.
>
> ZUCCHINI APPETIZERS
>
> 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
> 1 c. Bisquick
> 1/2 c. finely chopped onion
> 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan or Swiss cheese (or more!)
> 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
> 1/2 tsp. marjoram or oregano
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1 clove garlic, finely minced (or more)
> 1/2 c. vegetable oil
> 4 eggs, lightly beaten.
>
> Heat oven to 350deg. F. Grease 9x13 inch pan.
> Mix all ingredients, spread in pan. Bake until golden, ~25 minutes.
> Cut into squares or triangles to serve. This is good hot, cold, or
> in between.
>
> gloria p

SAVED recipe. Thank you Gloria I would like to try.

--
Kisses
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 10:20 pm, Puester > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > We went to a picnic at the community garden where my stepson's Mom has
> > her little slice of eden. Most of the food was either obvious,
> > forgettable, or didn't interest me as to the recipes, but one dish
> > stood out, and I've had no luck searching for it.

> > It was eggy, cheesy, with some type of carbohydrate for structure,
> > with slices of zucchini throughout. It was very light, not at all
> > greasy, and I've tried putting those ingredients in the search
> > engines, into recipe websites, etc. and come up blank.

> Maxine:
>
> That sounds very much like the 70's Bisquick recipe for
> zucchini squares. Do you remember the crustless pie recipes that went
> around back then under names like "Impossible Custard Pie"?
>
> Hah! I just found it in my recipe box.
>
> ZUCCHINI APPETIZERS
>
> 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
> 1 c. Bisquick
> 1/2 c. finely chopped onion
> 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan or Swiss cheese (or more!)
> 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
> 1/2 tsp. marjoram or oregano
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1 clove garlic, finely minced (or more)
> 1/2 c. vegetable oil
> 4 eggs, lightly beaten.
>
> Heat oven to 350deg. F. Grease 9x13 inch pan.
> Mix all ingredients, spread in pan. Bake until golden, ~25 minutes.
> Cut into squares or triangles to serve. This is good hot, cold, or
> in between.
>
> gloria p

That sounds like it might be it. No zucchini at the market this
evening (no lettuce, mushrooms or eggs, either!) so it'll have to
wait, but this sounds promising. It's an appetizer? Rats! No wonder
it tasted so good! If I can pick up the ingredients tomorrow on the
way back from the hospital (my aunt just has some surprise surgery),
it'll be on the table Tuesday night.

Thanks!
maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote in news:1185152312.055463.185120
@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> No wonder
> it tasted so good! If I can pick up the ingredients tomorrow on the
> way back from the hospital (my aunt just has some surprise surgery),
> it'll be on the table Tuesday night.

Why would you put a piece of your Aunt on the table Tuesday?...What's wrong
with Monday? Boy, that would be a surprise.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 22, 1:28 am, (Curly Sue) wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 01:44:35 -0000, maxine in ri >
> wrote:
>

> >We went to a picnic at the community garden where my stepson's Mom has
> >her little slice of eden. Most of the food was either obvious,
> >forgettable, or didn't interest me as to the recipes, but one dish
> >stood out, and I've had no luck searching for it.

> >It was eggy, cheesy, with some type of carbohydrate for structure,
> >with slices of zucchini throughout. It was very light, not at all
> >greasy, and I've tried putting those ingredients in the search
> >engines, into recipe websites, etc. and come up blank. On one list,
> >someone said it sounded like a "crabcake" recipe she had, that has
> >shredded zucchini and Old Bay seasoning, but I made that last week and
> >it was _not_ a keeper. Third time in 17 years my husband hasn't liked
> >a dish I made.

> >Anyone have a recipe for anything like this? I would have asked the
> >person who brought it, but by the time I found her, she was well into
> >her cups and wasn't good for much.

> >TIA maxine in ri

> Look at the two "puff" recipes I posted in the other zucchini thread
> and see if that's the type of thing you're looking for. Or you might
> start with a quiche recipe if custardy is more like it.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I couldn't find anything by you about zucchini this month! Could be
my eyes....
Repost, pretty please?

maxine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:13:37 -0000, maxine in ri >
wrote:

>On Jul 22, 1:28 am, (Curly Sue) wrote:

<snip>
>> Look at the two "puff" recipes I posted in the other zucchini thread
>> and see if that's the type of thing you're looking for. Or you might
>> start with a quiche recipe if custardy is more like it.

>I couldn't find anything by you about zucchini this month! Could be
>my eyes....
>Repost, pretty please?
>
>maxine

Soitenly! (It was yesterday in the "Zucchini ??" thread started by
<rj> and the recipes bear some similarity to the recipe Gloria
posted).

You can use zucchini or broccoli for either of these recipes.

ZUCCHINI PUFF
(Source: The Zucchini & Carrot Cookbook. R.C. Bateman
Ward Ritchie Press, Pasadena, CA, 1976)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 c finely diced, unpeeled zucchini (I just grate it, let it drain a
bit)
1/2 c finely chopped parsely
1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 c olive oil
3 eggs, beaten
salt, pepper
3/4 c packaged biscuit mix (eg. Bisquick)

Mix together zucchini, parsely, cheese, garlic, and olive oil. Stir in
eggs and season w/salt & pepper. Blend in biscuit mix until smooth.
Spread in greased 8-1/2" round or 9" square dish. Bake 350 deg. 35-40
min. Cut in wedges or squares.

Variation: Cocktail Zucchini Sticks. Double recipe and season w/chile
powder or 4 T diced seeded canned green chiles. Spread in greased
jelly roll pan, bake until browned, 25-30 min. Cut into fingers and
serve warm w/drinks.

BROCCOLI PUFF
(Source: General Mills/Betty Crocker Bisquick pamphlet)
2 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped broccoli, cooked & drained
(or grated zucchini, uncooked)
1 c Bisquick baking mix
1 c milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 c shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 oz)
(I think my original passed-down-from-someone-else version for
zucchini had basil and garlic too, but this broccoli version doesn't.
Something to think about)

Heat oven to 325. Butter 5-1/2 c souffle dish or 1-1/2 quart
casserole. Beat baking mix, milk, eggs, and salt w/hand beater until
smooth. Stir in vegetable and cheese. Pour into prepared baking dish.
Bake until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out
clean, about 1 hour. Serve immediately.

Variations: you can use other vegetables such as corn or spinach.
Peas, I think, would be weird, as would beets!

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 10:20 pm, Puester > wrote:

> That sounds very much like the 70's Bisquick recipe for
> zucchini squares. Do you remember the crustless pie recipes that went
> around back then under names like "Impossible Custard Pie"?
>
> Hah! I just found it in my recipe box.
>
> ZUCCHINI APPETIZERS
>
> 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
> 1 c. Bisquick
> 1/2 c. finely chopped onion
> 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan or Swiss cheese (or more!)
> 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
> 1/2 tsp. marjoram or oregano
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1 clove garlic, finely minced (or more)
> 1/2 c. vegetable oil
> 4 eggs, lightly beaten.
>
> Heat oven to 350deg. F. Grease 9x13 inch pan.
> Mix all ingredients, spread in pan. Bake until golden, ~25 minutes.
> Cut into squares or triangles to serve. This is good hot, cold, or
> in between.
>
> gloria p

I had hoped it was a dinner dish, but looking at the recipe, if I
subbed milk or cream, it sounded more like a quiches, so that was what
I did. Since both of you had recipes that called for 1-1/2 cups
liquid to 1 cup bisquick, I subbed a 1/4 cup each of milk and cream
for the oil in your recipe, and 4 cups of spinach instead of the
zucchini. I still haven't gotten to the market! And since we did
have swiss hiding in the back of the fridge, I added about a half of a
ground nutmeg along with the rest.

It was very good, similar in texture to the one I was looking for,
altho i think the original baker didn't use nearly as much zucchini as
your recipe calls for, since there was definitly a higher ratio of
stuff to veggie. This one was decidedly better.

One other thing I did, which may have been why we thought it was too
salty: I didn't have Bisquick, and rarely use it, so I made a cup of
mix by reducing a copycat recipe. It called for 1/2 tsp salt and
1-1/2 tsp baking powder per cup of flour. I've got to go recheck my
math--that was way too much methinks! That's 2-1/2 teaspoons of
saltiness, including the 1/2 teaspoon in the recipe.

Good thing we all have low blood pressure! I'll definitely be making
these again!

Thanks, Gloria and Sue

maxine in chilly ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 2:37 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> (Curly Sue) wrote:
>

> > >I couldn't find anything by you about zucchini this month! Could be
> > >my eyes....
> > >Repost, pretty please?

> > >maxine

> > Soitenly! (It was yesterday in the "Zucchini ??" thread started by
> > <rj> and the recipes bear some similarity to the recipe Gloria
> > posted).

> <snipped>
>
> I wonder if those would work with one of the low carb bake mixes?
> I have a couple of cans of those that I've never used. Those recipes
> sound awfully good!
> --
> Peace, Om

They are! Since the rising agent is chemical rather than yeast, and
it makes a kind of sticky goo, it should be fine.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:28:27 -0000, maxine in ri >
wrote:

>I had hoped it was a dinner dish, but looking at the recipe, if I
>subbed milk or cream, it sounded more like a quiches, so that was what
>I did. Since both of you had recipes that called for 1-1/2 cups
>liquid to 1 cup bisquick, I subbed a 1/4 cup each of milk and cream
>for the oil in your recipe, and 4 cups of spinach instead of the
>zucchini. I still haven't gotten to the market! And since we did
>have swiss hiding in the back of the fridge, I added about a half of a
>ground nutmeg along with the rest.
>
>It was very good, similar in texture to the one I was looking for,
>altho i think the original baker didn't use nearly as much zucchini as
>your recipe calls for, since there was definitly a higher ratio of
>stuff to veggie. This one was decidedly better.

As long as you're branching out from zucchni, here is another favorite
that I posted a couple of years ago. I really like it with ham
(instead of chicken) and use either broccoli or squeezed spinach,
depending on what I have. The texture is somewhat different depending
on whehter I cook it in a 9" pie plate (more like a quiche) or a small
casserole dish (deeper, less wide than the pie plate). I chop the
meat, cheese, and onion separately in the food processor which makes
it very quick.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34582

Impossibly Easy Chicken 'n Broccoli Pie

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs

1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle broccoli, 1

cup of the cheese, the chicken and onion in pie plate.
2. Stir Bisquick mix, milk, salt, pepper and eggs until blended.
Pour into pie plate.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out

clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1 to 2 minutes longer or
just until cheese is melted. Cool 5 minutes.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft)
Bake 35 to 40 minutes.

Sue(tm)