Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Russian Mennonite Recipe search

We toured Western Canada for a month and ate at a Mennonite
restaurant in a Heritage Village near Winnipeg Manitoba. I've been
looking for recipes for the dishes we had and have had only a little
luck. We had vereniki served with a cream sauce called schmauntfatt,
Komst Borscht, that was excellent. The sausage that came with the
platter was over-cooked, but everything else was delicious.

I've found a recipe for the Komst Borscht, and found out the the
vereniki was actually a perogi (sp) filled with cottage cheese, but the
cream sauce has been elusive. I've done a web search and had no luck so
far. Does anyone have any idea what it may be. It wasn't just a white
sauce because the colour wasn't right. For dessert, we had Rhubarb
Plautz. I think it was a little like Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
...........Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig > wrote in :

> We toured Western Canada for a month and ate at a Mennonite
> restaurant in a Heritage Village near Winnipeg Manitoba. I've been
> looking for recipes for the dishes we had and have had only a little
> luck. We had vereniki served with a cream sauce called schmauntfatt,
> Komst Borscht, that was excellent. The sausage that came with the
> platter was over-cooked, but everything else was delicious.
>
> I've found a recipe for the Komst Borscht, and found out the the
> vereniki was actually a perogi (sp) filled with cottage cheese, but the
> cream sauce has been elusive. I've done a web search and had no luck

so
> far. Does anyone have any idea what it may be. It wasn't just a white
> sauce because the colour wasn't right. For dessert, we had Rhubarb
> Plautz. I think it was a little like Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
> ..........Sharon

What you didn't have the green bean soup or the butter soup?...both are
excellent. I haven't eaten at the heritage Village but further west in
the towns of Winkler and Morden there is excellent Mennonite food.

I suggest checking out Amish food for a similar recipe...that where I
found my copycat green bean soup recipe (almost exactly right... still
playing with it though). Or inquire on-line at the heritage village...
perhaps a cookbook is for sale. Or they might know where a cookbook
might be purchased.

http://www.mennoniteheritagevillage.com/

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> We toured Western Canada for a month and ate at a Mennonite
>>restaurant in a Heritage Village near Winnipeg Manitoba. I've been
>>looking for recipes for the dishes we had and have had only a little
>>luck. We had vereniki served with a cream sauce called schmauntfatt,
>>Komst Borscht, that was excellent. The sausage that came with the
>>platter was over-cooked, but everything else was delicious.
>>
>> I've found a recipe for the Komst Borscht, and found out the the
>>vereniki was actually a perogi (sp) filled with cottage cheese, but the
>>cream sauce has been elusive. I've done a web search and had no luck
>>

>so
>

>>far. Does anyone have any idea what it may be. It wasn't just a white
>>sauce because the colour wasn't right. For dessert, we had Rhubarb
>>Plautz. I think it was a little like Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
>>..........Sharon

Sharon,
I have a very old copy of The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes.printed in
Steinbach MB. It has a few recipes for the cream gravy for the verenki.
I am not sure about copyright issues for copying the recipes here. If
someone lets me know if it's ok I would post them. I see that they have
reprinted and updated this cookbook and have been selling them at the
local farmers market here. If you are interested in a copy I could pick
one up for you. I go drive past the Heritage Village about once a
month on my way to Winnipeg, but have never stopped there.
Sounds like I should give it a try sometime soon.
oldhag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>>far. Does anyone have any idea what it may be. It wasn't just a white
>>>sauce because the colour wasn't right. For dessert, we had Rhubarb
>>>Plautz. I think it was a little like Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
>>>..........Sharon
>>>

> Sharon,
> I have a very old copy of The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes.printed in
> Steinbach MB. It has a few recipes for the cream gravy for the verenki.
> I am not sure about copyright issues for copying the recipes here. If
> someone lets me know if it's ok I would post them. I see that they have
> reprinted and updated this cookbook and have been selling them at the
> local farmers market here. If you are interested in a copy I could pick
> one up for you. I go drive past the Heritage Village about once a
> month on my way to Winnipeg, but have never stopped there.
> Sounds like I should give it a try sometime soon.
> oldhag

If you were to stop at the Heritage site to have a meal, you would
have to pay an entrance to the village. The restaurant is inside the
park. We found it very interesting and enjoyed the meal. They have a
gift shop too, but on our budget, I didn't look at the cookbooks. If
there isn't a copyright issue, I'd appreciate knowing the recipes.
Thanks........Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig > wrote in :

>> Sharon,
>> I have a very old copy of The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes.printed
>> in Steinbach MB. It has a few recipes for the cream gravy for the
>> verenki. I am not sure about copyright issues for copying the recipes
>> here. If someone lets me know if it's ok I would post them. I see
>> that they have reprinted and updated this cookbook and have been
>> selling them at the local farmers market here. If you are interested
>> in a copy I could pick one up for you. I go drive past the Heritage
>> Village about once a month on my way to Winnipeg, but have never
>> stopped there. Sounds like I should give it a try sometime soon.
>> oldhag

> If you were to stop at the Heritage site to have a meal, you would
> have to pay an entrance to the village. The restaurant is inside the
> park. We found it very interesting and enjoyed the meal. They have a
> gift shop too, but on our budget, I didn't look at the cookbooks. If
> there isn't a copyright issue, I'd appreciate knowing the recipes.
> Thanks........Sharon

A list of ingredients isn't coprightable only the instructions are...If
the directions/instructions are slightly altered (a word here and there)
there is no infringment. Because then it isn't a copy.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

>> Sharon,
>> I have a very old copy of The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes.printed
>> in Steinbach MB. It has a few recipes for the cream gravy for the
>> verenki. I am not sure about copyright issues for copying the recipes
>> here. If someone lets me know if it's ok I would post them. I see
>> that they have reprinted and updated this cookbook and have been
>> selling them at the local farmers market here. If you are interested
>> in a copy I could pick one up for you. I go drive past the Heritage
>> Village about once a month on my way to Winnipeg, but have never
>> stopped there.
>> Sounds like I should give it a try sometime soon.
>> oldhag

> If you were to stop at the Heritage site to have a meal, you would
> have to pay an entrance to the village. The restaurant is inside the
> park. We found it very interesting and enjoyed the meal. They have a
> gift shop too, but on our budget, I didn't look at the cookbooks. If
> there isn't a copyright issue, I'd appreciate knowing the recipes.
> Thanks........Sharon

Sharon,
The Savoury version of the Cream Gravy is real simple. Basically you
take a couple of tablespoons of butter and cook it until it is brown
then add 1 cup of Sour cream /heavy cream ( some of the recipes say
sour cream while others say heavy cream). Heat to boiling point.Salt and
pepper to taste. Serve. I bet the browning of the butter is what gives
it the colour. If you prefer the sweetened version omit the salt and
pepper and add sugar instead.
oldhag
Posted to rec.food.cooking

oldhag wrote: