Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oysters alive when you eat them?

Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
oysters I'm talking about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-21, Zippy P > wrote:
> Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
> oysters I'm talking about.

Since it's not a good idea to eat raw oysters if they are dead, yeah,
they're pretty much alive. Of course, you have to remember that since
you just ripped them, body and soul, from their shell, their lifelong
home, in an agonizingly painful manner, they are most likely in their
death throes just as you are popping them into your mouth to crush out
the last remaining life they have on this Earth. Enjoy!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:02:16 -0500, notbob >
magnanimously proffered:

>On 2007-07-21, Zippy P > wrote:
>> Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
>> oysters I'm talking about.

>Since it's not a good idea to eat raw oysters if they are dead, yeah,
>they're pretty much alive. Of course, you have to remember that since
>you just ripped them, body and soul, from their shell, their lifelong
>home, in an agonizingly painful manner, they are most likely in their
>death throes just as you are popping them into your mouth to crush out
>the last remaining life they have on this Earth. Enjoy!
>
>nb

And don't forget: misery loves company. So don't just eat one ...

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zippy P > wrote:
>Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
>oysters I'm talking about.

They better ****ing be.

--Blair
"You don't want the dead ones."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton > wrote in news:I%goi.110680$2f1.69235
@fe10.news.easynews.com:

> Zippy P > wrote:
>>Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
>>oysters I'm talking about.

> They better ****ing be.

LOL!!!

I usually pick them straight off the rocks and open 'em up and throw 'em at
my face :-)

Can't get any more alive-er than that :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Since it's not a good idea to eat raw oysters if they are dead, yeah,
> they're pretty much alive. Of course, you have to remember that since
> you just ripped them, body and soul, from their shell, their lifelong
> home, in an agonizingly painful manner, they are most likely in their
> death throes just as you are popping them into your mouth to crush out
> the last remaining life they have on this Earth. Enjoy!

thas some sick shit man. I don't want to eat alive things that's just
wrong. biting down into their assorted glands and shit. No more oysters
for me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:

> Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
> oysters I'm talking about.

Yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2007-07-21, Zippy P > wrote:
>
>>Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
>>oysters I'm talking about.

> Since it's not a good idea to eat raw oysters if they are dead, yeah,
> they're pretty much alive. Of course, you have to remember that since
> you just ripped them, body and soul, from their shell, their lifelong
> home, in an agonizingly painful manner, they are most likely in their
> death throes just as you are popping them into your mouth to crush out
> the last remaining life they have on this Earth. Enjoy!
>
> nb

I love raw oysters with a dab of hot sauce but hate the screams you hear
when you crush them. YMMV

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2007-07-21, Zippy P > wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
>>>oysters I'm talking about.

>> Since it's not a good idea to eat raw oysters if they are dead, yeah,
>> they're pretty much alive. Of course, you have to remember that since
>> you just ripped them, body and soul, from their shell, their lifelong
>> home, in an agonizingly painful manner, they are most likely in their
>> death throes just as you are popping them into your mouth to crush out
>> the last remaining life they have on this Earth. Enjoy!
>>
>> nb

> I love raw oysters with a dab of hot sauce but hate the screams you hear
> when you crush them. YMMV

I thought the screams were the best part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 2:48?am, PeterLucas > wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton > wrote in news:I%goi.110680$2f1.69235
> @fe10.news.easynews.com:
>
> > Zippy P > wrote:
> >>Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
> >>oysters I'm talking about.

> > They better ****ing be.

> LOL!!!
>
> I usually pick them straight off the rocks and open 'em up and throw 'em at
> my face :-)
>
> Can't get any more alive-er than that :-)

As soon as you sever their abductor muscles and mantle bivalves die,
the same as if your throat were slit and your heart severed from your
body. Bivalves do have a heart and blood (a clear fluid).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Zippy P wrote:
>
> > Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
> > oysters I'm talking about.

> Yes.

Wrong.

Only if you swallow them shell and all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:07:23 GMT, "Zippy P" >
wrote:

>> Since it's not a good idea to eat raw oysters if they are dead, yeah,
>> they're pretty much alive. Of course, you have to remember that since
>> you just ripped them, body and soul, from their shell, their lifelong
>> home, in an agonizingly painful manner, they are most likely in their
>> death throes just as you are popping them into your mouth to crush out
>> the last remaining life they have on this Earth. Enjoy!

>thas some sick shit man. I don't want to eat alive things that's just
>wrong. biting down into their assorted glands and shit. No more oysters
>for me!

Stay away from the live, wriggling shrimp, then.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zippy P" > wrote:

> Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
> oysters I'm talking about.

Raw carrots are alive also. Plant one and it will grow. I'm not sure
which is dumber, oysters or carrots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Zippy P wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
> > > oysters I'm talking about.

> > Yes.

> Wrong.
>
> Only if you swallow them shell and all.

Shucking an oyster involves severing the muscle that holds the body to the
shell. That doesn't kill them right away and more than cutting off a fish's
dorsal fin would kill the fish.

" Oysters are among the few animals that people of the world still eat
alive and raw."

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/zone/underw...r-huitre_e.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:

> > Since it's not a good idea to eat raw oysters if they are dead, yeah,
> > they're pretty much alive. Of course, you have to remember that since
> > you just ripped them, body and soul, from their shell, their lifelong
> > home, in an agonizingly painful manner, they are most likely in their
> > death throes just as you are popping them into your mouth to crush out
> > the last remaining life they have on this Earth. Enjoy!

> thas some sick shit man. I don't want to eat alive things that's just
> wrong. biting down into their assorted glands and shit. No more oysters
> for me!

Lots of people get a bit of a lift from eating raw oysters. I find them to
be like a tonic that gives and instant invigoration. BTW.... don't chew.
Just sprinkle a little lemon juice and/or Tabasco and slip it down your
gullet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:38:31 -0700, "Zippy P" >
wrote:

>Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
>oysters I'm talking about.

If you don't hear them screaming when you rip their shells apart....

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 12:28?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> > > Yes.

> > Wrong.

> > Only if you swallow them shell and all.

> Shucking an oyster involves severing the muscle that holds the body to the
> shell. That doesn't kill them right away and more than cutting off a fish's
> dorsal fin would kill the fish.

What a dumb analogy, you wouldn't die from hacking off your finger
either.

> " Oysters are among the few animals that people of the world still eat
> alive and raw."
>
> http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/zone/underw...ter/oyster-hui...

There are lots of dumb food sites.

I notice you inserted "right away" as an escape clause ('cause you
ain't so sure)... obviously no living thing dies *right away* as in
instantaneously. But I can assure you that when a bivalve is shucked
it is dead before you can get it to your mouth. And just because a
dispatched animal's flesh quivers doesn't mean it's still alive.. you
can poke a dead frog's leg with a pin and it will still kick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:

> Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them.
> Raw oysters I'm talking about.

Yes, but they're sleeping. They won't feel a thing.
They'll be dreaming their oyster-dreams right up
until you eat them. Just don't wake'em up. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> > Shucking an oyster involves severing the muscle that holds the body to the
> > shell. That doesn't kill them right away and more than cutting off a fish's
> > dorsal fin would kill the fish.

> What a dumb analogy, you wouldn't die from hacking off your finger
> either.

Exactly. Sucking an oyster just severs the abductor muscle, freeing the
creature from its shell. It doesn't kill it.

> > " Oysters are among the few animals that people of the world still eat
> > alive and raw."
> >
> > http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/zone/underw...ter/oyster-hui...

> There are lots of dumb food sites.
>
> I notice you inserted "right away" as an escape clause ('cause you
> ain't so sure).

Being such an expert on oysters, you may know that raw oysters are shucked
immediately before serving, and since cutting that abductor doesn't kill
them right away, they are still alive when you slurp them down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> Exactly. Sucking an oyster just severs the abductor muscle, freeing the
> creature from its shell. It doesn't kill it.

Lips of steel!

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:
> Hi, just wondering if oysters are still alive when you eat them. Raw
> oysters I'm talking about.

Of course. Littleneck clams, too.

Haven't you seen them quiver and heard them scream when you squirt lemon
juice on them?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-21, Puester > wrote:

> Haven't you seen them quiver and heard them scream when you squirt lemon
> juice on them?

Nah.... that's Barb.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

After NOTBOB'S description of eating oysters. I'm glad I'm not a big
fan....only had them twice, in N'Orleans and Canada....think those were
called Manapek Bay oysters....it was so long ago. Am I right?
Have a splendid weekend,
Ellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:32:08 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Yes, but they're sleeping. They won't feel a thing.
>They'll be dreaming their oyster-dreams right up
>until you eat them. Just don't wake'em up. :-)

.... and drink lots of cold beer so they'll be fat and happy in your
tummy.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> Haven't you seen them quiver and heard them scream when you
> squirt lemon juice on them?

That means you woke 'em up. Shame on you! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-07-21, Puester > wrote:
>

>>Haven't you seen them quiver and heard them scream when you squirt lemon
>>juice on them?

> Nah.... that's Barb.
>
> nb

Nah. . . .with Barb it's beet juice. B-})

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Slurping raw oysters is like swallowing ***.
>
> I won't do that either!

I don't blame you. getting close enough to have to worry about it is good
enough for me.

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >

> > Slurping raw oysters is like swallowing ***.
> >
> > I won't do that either!

> I don't blame you. getting close enough to have to worry about it is good
> enough for me.
>
> :-)

<rofl!>

I understand... ;-D