Old 17-07-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default bloody meat

I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

Old 17-07-2007, 04:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jjfjksdf" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

It's called "juice." It will likely never look good to her because she
likes her meat well done.

Old 17-07-2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jjfjksdf" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

Will your wife believe you when you tell her it is not blood? Does it
matter that it is not blood? It is water and proteins, but we've been told
for years that blood is red so therefore . . . . . .

When cooking the steak, sear it well and let it cook on one side, then flip
and let it finish on the other side. Turn the heat down at the end. It
should give off quite a bit less liquid that way. The cold plate may be
part of the problem. Try putting the meat to rest on a wood cutting board
first. It may give off les, and secondly, one it has rested and transferred
tot he serving plate, there will be no puddle.

Old 17-07-2007, 10:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jjfjksdf said...

I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

A FoodTV tip: Use the sharpest, thinnest carving knife, after your steaks
rest a bit. Something about fat blades tearing the meat apart instead of
clean cutting, causing more blood to flow.

Andy
Old 17-07-2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"jjfjksdf" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Rest the meat for a minute or so on whatever you used to bring the steaks
back into the house.
I do this especially with a thick sirloin. When you dish up pour all the
drippings onto your
plate, blot your wife's steak with a paper towel, dish up, and forge ahead
with dinner.

Kent

Old 17-07-2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 10:47?pm, jjfjksdf wrote:
I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
than rare is the blood.

I don't think you meant "less than rare", you meant *less than well
done*... with well done there'd be no juices (it's not blood)

Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath.

Don't place her steak on her plate, place it on a different plate to
rest for a few minutes and so that it can reabsorb some of it's
juices. Steak should never be plated directly from the grill.

Most steak houses murder steak, they don't permit it to rest, instead
they place it directly on those awful preheated metal trenchers, so it
can sit in a pool of it's own juices and stew. The best way (really
the only way) to serve steak is on a wooden trencher, saves good
knives too... NEVER EVER use serrated knives to cut steak (or any
meat). Anyone owns those awful serrated steak knives toss them in the
trash right now, they serve no useful purpose. If you're a meat eater
invest in a set of wooden trenchers. If you're a crafts person it's
easy to make your own, or contact a local cabinet/woodworking shop
(that's what I did), or search wooden plates or wooden steak
plates. Some folks just place a thin disk of hardwood into their
dinnerware (like a charger set up). Or these look interesting, I'm
very inclined to order a set: http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Steak-P.../dp/B0000DDVQH

Sheldon

Old 17-07-2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Buy kosher meat... they've already drained all the blood
from it.

Steve
Old 17-07-2007, 02:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
[...]

Sheldon, it's so funny that you said that about serrated knives; my husband
is adamant about not having a single serrated knife in the house. When we
go out and he wants a steak (basically just a seared steak), he brings his
own knife to cut because, invariably, the place will have a serrated knife.
If he could bring a cleaver to the restaurant, I'm sure he would, although
he'd probably get arrested. :~)

I'm a lousy knife-wielder, so if I need something sliced or chopped, I just
ask my DH to do it for me. It saves me from losing a digit or two.

kili

Old 17-07-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jjfjksdf wrote:

I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
than rare is the blood.

You have it backwards, why don't you try eating your steak well done?

Cook your steak the way you like it. If she likes her steak well done,
why do you care? You can have a wonderful relationship, but you do not
have to like the same things.

Becca
Old 17-07-2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net,
jjfjksdf wrote:

I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

You are cutting them too soon.

Let them "rest" for a bit after cooking.

Personally, I'll either drink that "blood", or add it to stock prep in
the freezer.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 17-07-2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote

Sheldon, it's so funny that you said that about serrated knives; my
husband
is adamant about not having a single serrated knife in the house.

How on earth could serrated knives produce any negative effect on
steak?

Old 17-07-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" q wrote in message ...
jjfjksdf said...

I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

A FoodTV tip: Use the sharpest, thinnest carving knife, after your steaks
rest a bit. Something about fat blades tearing the meat apart instead of
clean cutting, causing more blood to flow.

I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's good, to
me.
It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they eat their well-done
steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet I live. MU hahaha!

Old 17-07-2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
good, to me.
It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they eat their
well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet I live.
MU hahaha!

And I very pleased you do))))))))))))))))))))))))

Old 17-07-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:14:07 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

Buy kosher meat... they've already drained all the blood
from it.

All meat is drained of arterial blood before it hits the shelves.
What you're seeing is not really blood.

That's what I thought. It is JUICE. Mmm, mmm, good. Just give me some bread
to soak it up with.