Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default bloody meat

I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

It's called "juice." It will likely never look good to her because she
likes her meat well done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

Will your wife believe you when you tell her it is not blood? Does it
matter that it is not blood? It is water and proteins, but we've been told
for years that blood is red so therefore . . . . . .

When cooking the steak, sear it well and let it cook on one side, then flip
and let it finish on the other side. Turn the heat down at the end. It
should give off quite a bit less liquid that way. The cold plate may be
part of the problem. Try putting the meat to rest on a wood cutting board
first. It may give off les, and secondly, one it has rested and transferred
tot he serving plate, there will be no puddle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jjfjksdf said...

> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

A FoodTV tip: Use the sharpest, thinnest carving knife, after your steaks
rest a bit. Something about fat blades tearing the meat apart instead of
clean cutting, causing more blood to flow.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
et...

> "jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
>> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

> Will your wife believe you when you tell her it is not blood? Does it
> matter that it is not blood? It is water and proteins, but we've been
> told for years that blood is red so therefore . . . . . .
>
> When cooking the steak, sear it well and let it cook on one side, then
> flip and let it finish on the other side. Turn the heat down at the end.
> It should give off quite a bit less liquid that way. The cold plate may
> be part of the problem. Try putting the meat to rest on a wood cutting
> board first. It may give off les, and secondly, one it has rested and
> transferred tot he serving plate, there will be no puddle.

Rest the meat for a minute or so on whatever you used to bring the steaks
back into the house.
I do this especially with a thick sirloin. When you dish up pour all the
drippings onto your
plate, blot your wife's steak with a paper towel, dish up, and forge ahead
with dinner.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 10:47?pm, jjfjksdf > wrote:
> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood.

I don't think you meant "less than rare", you meant *less than well
done*... with well done there'd be no juices (it's not blood)

> Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath.

Don't place her steak on her plate, place it on a different plate to
rest for a few minutes and so that it can reabsorb some of it's
juices. Steak should never be plated directly from the grill.

Most steak houses murder steak, they don't permit it to rest, instead
they place it directly on those awful preheated metal trenchers, so it
can sit in a pool of it's own juices and stew. The best way (really
the only way) to serve steak is on a wooden trencher, saves good
knives too... NEVER EVER use serrated knives to cut steak (or any
meat). Anyone owns those awful serrated steak knives toss them in the
trash right now, they serve no useful purpose. If you're a meat eater
invest in a set of wooden trenchers. If you're a crafts person it's
easy to make your own, or contact a local cabinet/woodworking shop
(that's what I did), or search <wooden plates> or <wooden steak
plates>. Some folks just place a thin disk of hardwood into their
dinnerware (like a charger set up). Or these look interesting, I'm
very inclined to order a set: http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Steak-P.../dp/B0000DDVQH

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Buy kosher meat... they've already drained all the blood
from it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Jul 16, 10:47?pm, jjfjksdf > wrote:
>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>> than rare is the blood.

> I don't think you meant "less than rare", you meant *less than well
> done*... with well done there'd be no juices (it's not blood)
>
>> Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath.

> Don't place her steak on her plate, place it on a different plate to
> rest for a few minutes and so that it can reabsorb some of it's
> juices. Steak should never be plated directly from the grill.
>
> Most steak houses murder steak, they don't permit it to rest, instead
> they place it directly on those awful preheated metal trenchers, so it
> can sit in a pool of it's own juices and stew. The best way (really
> the only way) to serve steak is on a wooden trencher, saves good
> knives too... NEVER EVER use serrated knives to cut steak (or any
> meat). Anyone owns those awful serrated steak knives toss them in the
> trash right now, they serve no useful purpose. If you're a meat eater
> invest in a set of wooden trenchers. If you're a crafts person it's
> easy to make your own, or contact a local cabinet/woodworking shop
> (that's what I did), or search <wooden plates> or <wooden steak
> plates>. Some folks just place a thin disk of hardwood into their
> dinnerware (like a charger set up). Or these look interesting, I'm
> very inclined to order a set:
> http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Steak-P.../dp/B0000DDVQH
>
> Sheldon

Sheldon, it's so funny that you said that about serrated knives; my husband
is adamant about not having a single serrated knife in the house. When we
go out and he wants a steak (basically just a seared steak), he brings his
own knife to cut because, invariably, the place will have a serrated knife.
If he could bring a cleaver to the restaurant, I'm sure he would, although
he'd probably get arrested. :~)

I'm a lousy knife-wielder, so if I need something sliced or chopped, I just
ask my DH to do it for me. It saves me from losing a digit or two.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jjfjksdf wrote:

> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood.

You have it backwards, why don't you try eating your steak well done?

Cook your steak the way you like it. If she likes her steak well done,
why do you care? You can have a wonderful relationship, but you do not
have to like the same things.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
jjfjksdf > wrote:

> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

You are cutting them too soon.

Let them "rest" for a bit after cooking.

Personally, I'll either drink that "blood", or add it to stock prep in
the freezer.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> Sheldon, it's so funny that you said that about serrated knives; my
> husband
> is adamant about not having a single serrated knife in the house.

How on earth could serrated knives produce any negative effect on
steak?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> jjfjksdf said...
>
>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
>> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

> A FoodTV tip: Use the sharpest, thinnest carving knife, after your steaks
> rest a bit. Something about fat blades tearing the meat apart instead of
> clean cutting, causing more blood to flow.

I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's good, to
me.
It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they eat their well-done
steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet I live. MU hahaha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
> good, to me.
> It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they eat their
> well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet I live.
> MU hahaha!

And I very pleased you do))))))))))))))))))))))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:14:07 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> Buy kosher meat... they've already drained all the blood
>> from it.

> All meat is drained of arterial blood before it hits the shelves.
> What you're seeing is not really blood.

That's what I thought. It is JUICE. Mmm, mmm, good. Just give me some bread
to soak it up with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
>> good, to me.
>> It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they eat their
>> well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet I live.
>> MU hahaha!

> And I very pleased you do))))))))))))))))))))))))

haha! You cutie!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz > wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:14:07 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>> Buy kosher meat... they've already drained all the blood
>> from it.

>All meat is drained of arterial blood before it hits the shelves.
>What you're seeing is not really blood.

I've read that typical beef in the U.S. is only drained of
about 2/3 of its blood, but I don't know if that information
is authoritative.

In any case, I agree that the red-tinged fluid outflowing
from a cooked steak is not blood, at least not mostly. It is
not nearly thick enough or dark enough.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz > wrote:

>Serrated knives makes ground beef and ruin the pristine texture
>of steak.

>You do need one for bread, though.

Bread or tomatoes. Can't think of anything else offhand.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> jjfjksdf said...
>>
>>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>>> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>>> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
>>> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>>> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

>> A FoodTV tip: Use the sharpest, thinnest carving knife, after your
>> steaks rest a bit. Something about fat blades tearing the meat apart
>> instead of clean cutting, causing more blood to flow.
>>

> I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
> good, to me.
> It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they eat their
> well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet I live. MU
> hahaha!

"Well, **** the bozos!" I call it blood. Call it AV-18 for all I care!

We used to wait for spoonfuls of blood after finishing our plates. Pop was
very strict about who got how much and it always amounted to our manners at
the table.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>> jjfjksdf said...
>>
>>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>>> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>>> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
>>> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>>> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

>> A FoodTV tip: Use the sharpest, thinnest carving knife, after your
>> steaks rest a bit. Something about fat blades tearing the meat apart
>> instead of clean cutting, causing more blood to flow.
>>

> I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
> good, to me.
> It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they eat their
> well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet I live.
> MU hahaha!

I hear ya. My MIL is passionate about cooking things to hockey pucks. If
it isn't as solid as a rock and blackened, it's no good. My husband and I
like our meat cooked rare. We love to gross DH's mom out with our bloody
meat. LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:14:07 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>>
>>> Buy kosher meat... they've already drained all the blood
>>> from it.

>> All meat is drained of arterial blood before it hits the shelves.
>> What you're seeing is not really blood.
>>

> That's what I thought. It is JUICE. Mmm, mmm, good. Just give me some
> bread to soak it up with.

Nah, hand me the plate; I'll just drink it! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:

>> Serrated knives makes ground beef and ruin the pristine texture

>> You do need one for bread, though.

>I disagree. A toothed blade is much better for bread
>than a serrated blade. It cuts like a saw.

Wokay, what the heck is the difference between toothed
and serrated??

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Serrated knives makes ground beef and ruin the pristine texture
> of steak.
>
> You do need one for bread, though.

I disagree. A toothed blade is much better for bread
than a serrated blade. It cuts like a saw. Especially
recommended for bread with a thick crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote
> I hear ya. My MIL is passionate about cooking things to hockey pucks. If
> it isn't as solid as a rock and blackened, it's no good. My husband and I
> like our meat cooked rare. We love to gross DH's mom out with our bloody
> meat. LOL.

Sometimes it seems my very existence flies in the face of every belief she
holds dear.

When she wanted a thing to hold her TV in the living room, we shopped until
exhaustion two ENTIRE days and still did not find what she wanted. (And I
mean hoofing it all around, not online shopping.)

I ordered mine online after looking for maybe half an hour, it came, and it
was perfect. The price was great, too.

The list goes on.

She agonizes over everything, makes a HUGE deal of everything, I kind
of prioritize and essentially slapdash through tasks that involve things
without pulses. Barely measuring when I cook, and flinging, while she
does not cook at all any more because it is "too messy" and wonders
why her health deteriorates, though she is eating processed crap all
the time.

If I interfere, except to do her bidding like a mindless slave, I am
"overbearing."

Someone told me she has a habit of saying this about me, kind of muttering
it resentfully: "she always comes out smelling like a rose."

And yet, I love her. I do it to spite her! hahahaha!!!! We have lots of fun
at times, when we go out and such. We are just soooo different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> >I disagree. A toothed blade is much better for bread
> >than a serrated blade. It cuts like a saw.

> Wokay, what the heck is the difference between toothed
> and serrated??

Serrated has a wavy edge. Toothed has little sharp
pointed teeth, like a saw blade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Wokay, what the heck is the difference between toothed
>> and serrated??

>Serrated has a wavy edge. Toothed has little sharp
>pointed teeth, like a saw blade.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>>Steve Pope wrote:

>>> Wokay, what the heck is the difference between toothed and
>>> serrated??

>>Serrated has a wavy edge. Toothed has little sharp pointed teeth,
>>like a saw blade.

> Thanks, that makes sense.

Except for the part about the word "serrated" meaning "having teeth".

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
> > Mark Thorson > wrote:

> >>Serrated has a wavy edge. Toothed has little sharp pointed teeth,
> >>like a saw blade.

> > Thanks, that makes sense.

> Except for the part about the word "serrated" meaning "having teeth".

Every serrated knife I've ever seen had a wavy edge
with rounded teeth. Have you never seen a knife
like that?

I've seen very few knives with sharp, pointed teeth.
I have a paring knife like that, and my mom has
an excellent bread knife like that purchased in
Germany in the 1960's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>Every serrated knife I've ever seen had a wavy edge
>with rounded teeth. Have you never seen a knife
>like that?

>I've seen very few knives with sharp, pointed teeth.

You could fit a handle onto a Sawzall blade.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>> Steve Pope wrote:

>> > Thanks, that makes sense.

>> Except for the part about the word "serrated" meaning "having teeth".

> Every serrated knife I've ever seen had a wavy edge with rounded
> teeth. Have you never seen a knife like that?

My note was only on the language aspects of "serration", not what may
have become kitchen language in spite of the broader use of the term. I
didn't dispute what "serrated" may mean in the kitchen; I just mentioned
what it means in the larger world, and thus that "serrated has a wavy
edge" mostly works in The World Of Knives For The Kitchen.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
> good, to me. It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they
> eat their well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet
> I live. MU hahaha!

What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks rare,
but they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the difference.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
> > good, to me. It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they
> > eat their well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And
> > yet I live. MU hahaha!

> What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks
> rare, but they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the
> difference.

Beef is not fish. Rare meat is not raw.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> I can sort of see this. But I still think of that as juice and it's
>> good, to me. It is also terrific fun to gross out my in-laws as they
>> eat their well-done steaks. "Rare meat'll kill ya!" They say. And yet
>> I live. MU hahaha!

> What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks rare, but
> they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the difference.

I take it you eat sushi and sashimi.

One big difference: texture. Raw fish is often slimy in a way raw
beef could never be.

Another: smell. The smell of raw fish is very different from that
of cooked. Not so to me with beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-17, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:47:48 -0400, cybercat wrote:

>> How on earth could serrated knives produce any negative effect on
>> steak?

> They do. They tear meat rather then slice it.

Nonsense.

I use a cheapo serrated knife for steak and it works just fine. The
reason I use one is for the reason I suspect most restaurants use
them. I don't wanna spend time resharpening after cutting on hard
tableware. Anyway, they no more "tear" meat than any other sharp
knife. To insist a serrated knife is good for a tomato, yet bad for
meat is ludicrous on the face of it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would cook hers to medium and then move it to a hot covered dish (or
oven) so it can finish cooking through, if the steak is of any thickness
then just resting it it is unlikely to be enough.

I suffer the same problem with 'er indoors and cringe every time when
wonderfully rare roast beef goes back into the oven to "colour properly"
but I can remember being that naive 20+ years ago.

Steve

jjfjksdf wrote:
> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

Instead of being a jerk, why don't stop treating your wife like a child and
let her eat the damned steak the way she likes it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:20:12 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Steve Wertz wrote:
> >>
> >> Serrated knives makes ground beef and ruin the pristine texture
> >> of steak.
> >>
> >> You do need one for bread, though.

> > I disagree. A toothed blade is much better for bread
> > than a serrated blade. It cuts like a saw. Especially
> > recommended for bread with a thick crust.

> Uh, toothed knives are hard to come by in bread-sized knives.

I agree. The one my mom has is the only one
I've ever seen. But if they were more widely
available, everybody would agree that they're
vastly better than serrated. Especially for
a French or Sourdough loaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Steve Wertz wrote:

>> > I disagree. A toothed blade is much better for bread
>> > than a serrated blade. It cuts like a saw. Especially
>> > recommended for bread with a thick crust.

>> Uh, toothed knives are hard to come by in bread-sized knives.

> I agree. The one my mom has is the only one
> I've ever seen. But if they were more widely
> available, everybody would agree that they're
> vastly better than serrated. Especially for
> a French or Sourdough loaf.

Actually there are plenty of knives it length like a bread knife called a
Sujihiki and they come in lengths up to 330mm (13"). Check out Japanese
Chef's knife, Koren's or the Epicurean Edge among many other sites. They are
really a carving knife but will also do bread just fine.

Joe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Cilinceon wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > Steve Wertz wrote:

> >> Uh, toothed knives are hard to come by in bread-sized knives.

> > I agree. The one my mom has is the only one
> > I've ever seen. But if they were more widely
> > available, everybody would agree that they're
> > vastly better than serrated. Especially for
> > a French or Sourdough loaf.

> Actually there are plenty of knives it length like a bread knife called a
> Sujihiki and they come in lengths up to 330mm (13"). Check out Japanese
> Chef's knife, Koren's or the Epicurean Edge among many other sites. They are
> really a carving knife but will also do bread just fine.

I don't see any teeth on it.

http://sujihiki.com/

Without teeth, it'll get dull real fast when
used for slicing a French or Sourdough loaf,
and it'll tend to crush the loaf. A toothed
blade saws through the bread, hardly compressing
it at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Joe Cilinceon wrote:

>> > I agree. The one my mom has is the only one
>> > I've ever seen. But if they were more widely
>> > available, everybody would agree that they're
>> > vastly better than serrated. Especially for
>> > a French or Sourdough loaf.

>> Actually there are plenty of knives it length like a bread knife called a
>> Sujihiki and they come in lengths up to 330mm (13"). Check out Japanese
>> Chef's knife, Koren's or the Epicurean Edge among many other sites. They
>> are
>> really a carving knife but will also do bread just fine.

> I don't see any teeth on it.
>
> http://sujihiki.com/
>
> Without teeth, it'll get dull real fast when
> used for slicing a French or Sourdough loaf,
> and it'll tend to crush the loaf. A toothed
> blade saws through the bread, hardly compressing
> it at all.

My mistake I misread the post I thought he was looking for a long knife that
would cut bread. I prefer a Shun bread knife myself but there is MAC another
good one that are serrated. The sujihiki is generally made out of a lot
harder steels than the typical German/French knives and will hold an edge a
lot longer by far. They also are much thinner blades so they can take a much
more acute angle meaning a sharper edge. At any rate like I said I prefer
the Shun edge design for a bread knife regardless of type of bread or even
cake.

Joe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-17, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> Unfortunately you're in the minority.

Kee-rist! ...I certainly hope so.

> And the majority is even siding with Sheldon (Yikes!)

Like I said.....

nb