Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default bloody meat

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> jjfjksdf > wrote:
>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
>> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

> It's not blood.
>
> It's not blood.
>
> It's not blood.
>
> It's mostly water and some fat.
>
> --Blair

why is it red?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
. ..
> Becca > wrote:
>
>> What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks rare,
>> but they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the difference.

> A better analogy would be people liking carpaccio and beef tartar, but
> not sashimi. Are there any?
>
> Victor

Me. I just don't like raw fish. I'm limited on my cooked fish too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
>> It's not blood.
>>
>> It's mostly water and some fat.
>>
>> --Blair

> why is it red?

Myoglobin or hemoglobin. I forget the exact chemistry of it all, but it is
not blood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
>In article >,
> Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>> Stir in a tiny bit of mashed potatoes, and the starch
>> makes gravy.

>Sounds good... but there are those that don't find it attractive. :-)
>Personally, buttered sourdough is the best thing in the world for
>sopping up steak "juice". ;-d

The butter is totally unnecessary there. Maybe
a little more salt.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>"jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
>>> It's not blood.
>>>
>>> It's mostly water and some fat.

>> why is it red?

>Myoglobin or hemoglobin. I forget the exact chemistry of it all, but it is
>not blood.

A little of both. But blood occurs in blood vessels, and
is drained when the animal is killed, and more when it's
sectioned, and more when it's hung to age. None should be
in the muscle cells, and none left in the vessels except
in the capillaries, which are very small.

The red in "red meat" is myoglobin. It's there to carry
oxygen in the cell from the blood vessel just outside the
cell membrane to the mitochondria.

Why that's less yucky than blood I don't know. I mean,
if you're scared of eating blood, there's lots of stuff
just like blood all over meat...and plants...that
you should be scared of too...

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> jjfjksdf > wrote:
>>> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
>>> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
>>> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
>>> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>>> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
>>> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>>> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

>> It's not blood.
>>
>> It's not blood.
>>
>> It's not blood.
>>
>> It's mostly water and some fat.
>>
>> --Blair

> why is it red?

What color would you expect from red meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Becca > wrote:
>
>> What surprises me, is the number of people who like their steaks rare,
>> but they will not touch sushi or sashimi. I do not see the difference.

> A better analogy would be people liking carpaccio and beef tartar, but
> not sashimi. Are there any?
>
> Victor

Me. I find a considerable difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 7:51 pm, jjfjksdf > wrote:
> Mitch Scherer wrote:
> > "jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> >> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> >> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> >> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> >> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
> >> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
> >> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
> >> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

> > Instead of being a jerk, why don't stop treating your wife like a child and
> > let her eat the damned steak the way she likes it.

> I'm trying to expose her to what many consider a better way to eat
> steak. I'm not forcing it on her. Just trying to make it more
> presentable. Gee now I wish I never wrote that I was being a
> jerk and treating her like a child in my original post.

I agree with vegetarians about one thing. I think that she should
watch a film of the slaughtering process, as should anyone who buys/
eats animal flesh.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
> >> Stir in a tiny bit of mashed potatoes, and the starch
> >> makes gravy.

> >Sounds good... but there are those that don't find it attractive. :-)
> >Personally, buttered sourdough is the best thing in the world for
> >sopping up steak "juice". ;-d

> The butter is totally unnecessary there. Maybe
> a little more salt.
>
> --Blair

To each their own... ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Bobo Bonobo(R) > wrote:

> On Jul 17, 7:51 pm, jjfjksdf > wrote:
> > Mitch Scherer wrote:
> > > "jjfjksdf" > wrote in message
> > link.net...

> > > Instead of being a jerk, why don't stop treating your wife like a child
> > > and
> > > let her eat the damned steak the way she likes it.

> > I'm trying to expose her to what many consider a better way to eat
> > steak. I'm not forcing it on her. Just trying to make it more
> > presentable. Gee now I wish I never wrote that I was being a
> > jerk and treating her like a child in my original post.

> I agree with vegetarians about one thing. I think that she should
> watch a film of the slaughtering process, as should anyone who buys/
> eats animal flesh.
>
> --Bryan

Forget the film.

Do it yourself.

At least once.

It's...

messy.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > A better analogy would be people liking carpaccio and beef tartar, but
> > not sashimi. Are there any?
> >

> Me. I find a considerable difference.

It is not really about actuall differences, it is mostly about
perceptions.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> <lol> I hear ya.
>>
>> I love Sashimi and I not only prefer rare steak, I've prepped steak
>> tartar with raw egg yolk for myself. ;-d
>>
>> Yum!

> One of my friends joined me at a Japanese restaurant, he was willing to
> try sushi for the first time. He took one bite, looked surprised and
> said, "It's cold!" I never thought to mention that sushi was cold.

Did he not know it was uncooked?

I've tried sushi once - it seems to me that it would be quite disgusting
if it were warm..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tony23 wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>
>> One of my friends joined me at a Japanese restaurant, he was willing
>> to try sushi for the first time. He took one bite, looked surprised
>> and said, "It's cold!" I never thought to mention that sushi was cold.
>>

> Did he not know it was uncooked?
>
> I've tried sushi once - it seems to me that it would be quite disgusting
> if it were warm..

He knew it was uncooked. I am not sure why he was surprised that it was
cold.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 19, 10:31 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
> Bobo Bonobo(R) > wrote:

> > > link.net...

> > > I'm trying to expose her to what many consider a better way to eat
> > > steak. I'm not forcing it on her. Just trying to make it more
> > > presentable. Gee now I wish I never wrote that I was being a
> > > jerk and treating her like a child in my original post.

> > I agree with vegetarians about one thing. I think that she should
> > watch a film of the slaughtering process, as should anyone who buys/
> > eats animal flesh.

> > --Bryan

> Forget the film.
>
> Do it yourself.
>
> At least once.
>
> It's...
>
> messy.

I've never killed or butchered a large animal, just squirrels, but I'm
a pretty bloodthirsty sort when it comes to meat. I like it raw--
though I like it best thick-cut and hickory seared on the outside,
blue rare inside--and I like it unaged.

> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Bobo Bonobo(R) > wrote:

> > > I agree with vegetarians about one thing. I think that she should
> > > watch a film of the slaughtering process, as should anyone who buys/
> > > eats animal flesh.

> > > --Bryan

> > Forget the film.
> >
> > Do it yourself.
> >
> > At least once.
> >
> > It's...
> >
> > messy.

> I've never killed or butchered a large animal, just squirrels, but I'm
> a pretty bloodthirsty sort when it comes to meat. I like it raw--
> though I like it best thick-cut and hickory seared on the outside,
> blue rare inside--and I like it unaged.
>
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> --Bryan

Getting "un-aged" meat is one advantage to home butchering. :-)
My dad refuses to eat "rotted" beef that has been hung for 2 weeks prior
to cutting.

I can't seen to get him to understand the concept of aging, but not all
animal types benefit from that treatment.

The most incredible poultry I've ever eaten (turkey and ducks) went
right into the oven once they were plucked, cleaned and gutted. Not even
chilled...

You can really tell the difference.

I am not, however, fond of raw poultry and I'm leery of eating raw wild
meat due to the danger of worms.

I will eat raw beef, raw SEA fish and have even tried raw emu. I prefer
the emu rare cooked instead. It has a certain taste and smell that works
better if it's seared.

I'd prefer to cook wild rodent (squirrel) again due to the danger of
muscle encysted parasites.

The largest critters I've dressed out so far have been emu and Texas
White Tail deer. I've also done rabbits, squirrels, chickens, ducks,
turkeys and watched dad do a porcupine when I was little.

Then there was that bobcat that one time when I was about 12.

Nevermind... <shudder>
I will never again even attempt to try meat from predators.
Dad had a very bad idea on that one. Even the dog would not eat it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> I can't seen to get him to understand the concept of aging, but not all
> animal types benefit from that treatment.

I let steaks age in the fridge for about two weeks until just to the first
signs of green slime, then BBQ-grill them to medium-rare. The BEST!!! Not
safe for ground meats, poultry, pork, etc.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > I can't seen to get him to understand the concept of aging, but not all
> > animal types benefit from that treatment.

> I let steaks age in the fridge for about two weeks until just to the first
> signs of green slime, then BBQ-grill them to medium-rare. The BEST!!! Not
> safe for ground meats, poultry, pork, etc.
>
> Andy

Ookay... ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jjfjksdf > wrote in news:k5Wmi.8976$zA4.4254
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood. Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her. Could
> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

After you remove the meat from the grill, you need to let it "rest", this
means to cool down, then the juices will retract back into the meat and it
will be juicy and tender. but never cut the meat until it is cooled or the
juices will all run out and this will dry out the meat. If there is juices
in the pan that you don't like, then just drain them off the plate. i hope
this post helps.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spooner wrote

>> I be doing something wrong that causes the blood to drain? My
>> medium steaks always look medium and I check them with a thermopen.

> After you remove the meat from the grill, you need to let it "rest",
> this means to cool down, then the juices will retract back into the
> meat and it will be juicy and tender.

It's the eaxct opposite: while cooking in heat, the meat's juices
leave the outside and remain in the inside of the meat-cut. By letting
the meat rest, you allow juices to spread evenly, which means they
move from the inner parts to the outer parts.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:51:36 GMT, spooner >
wrote:

>Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
>> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath. I doesn't
>> bother me but it doesn't look appetizing especially to her.

Here is a little secret....don't tell anyone. After grilling
steak...let it rest for 4, 5 minutes. THEN...you place steak on a
piece of Texas Toast and serve. She will love it and never know
the difference.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!